Home
NHL 14 News Post

The NHL 14 demo is available now for 360 users (queue it up here at 1.46 GB) and later today for PS3 users. We will update this post when it arrives. The NHL 14 demo details can be found here. Please post your impressions here and post your feedback to the developers here.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 ericromain @ 08/21/13 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaberg93
Did anyone notice you could add a head coach to your HUT team?

This is new, right?

(I didn't play much HUT last year, but don't remember coaches being implemented in the game at all)
HUT has always had coaches, but they arent licensed real coaches so it's kind of pointless.

# 122 savoie2006 @ 08/21/13 09:30 PM
I heard the crowd is the next thing to go.

# 123 meep316 @ 08/21/13 09:46 PM
Okay, I'm only going to say this once, because for one, I don't really have much time for videogames nowadays anyway, so there's no point in getting annoyed at this, and I'm probably not even getting the game anyway.

I've been saying for ****ing YEARS, YEARS, that they need to fix the lineup selection screen thing. I mean there is literally not a single excuse for it to be that bad. You have to click on who you want, scroll through the entire team (who are listed randomly for some reason, not in alphabetical, or even sorted by overall or position, literally just completely random) to select who you want to sub into that spot.

Why not take the lineup screen that's in HUT, where you can scroll through a visual of your lineup, and swap guys in at the touch of one button? How hard is it to take that from HUT, and just put it in VS mode?? I mean it's inexcusable.

Then, to make it ten times worse, you can't even save your lineup. (I'm just assuming that you can't save it again this year, because the screen and process is the exact same in every way as it's been for years, so I doubt they bothered to improve it). So every single time you play a game (since EA can't get a lineup accurate for the life of them and you always have to make 20 different changes), you have to sit there and do it.

And most people don't want to wait the extra 2 minutes (I don't blame them really) to sit there while you fix your lineup. I mean how hard is it to let you make your lineup for your team, and save it for online play? Madden has had this for as long as I can remember.

Honestly it's pathetic, there is no other word for it but pathetic. I'd say it's laziness and complete obliviousness on the part of EA, but I feel like after all these years, it goes beyond that.

# 124 Russo @ 08/21/13 11:43 PM
Guys, we all play online. Essentially, online mode 1 vs 1 will be played a 'hardcore simulation' more polished NHL 13 version and I'm ok with that. The regular 'Simulation' style plays too arcady and is way over the top. Is it me or does every shot go in in 'Simulation'? The puck is literally a pinball. Couple of issues with the game so far: fighting should be controlled, nobody should be chasing me with 1 minute left to play in a 3-2 hockey game. Also, Duncan Keith should not be the one chasing Lucic looking for a fight.The lackluster of the extra 2 minute instigator rule makes fighting pretty pointless.The rest of the game feels more fluid and polished version of its predecessor, and I'm Ok with that.

# 125 Splitter77 @ 08/22/13 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
could someone confirm that even at the hardest level it's easy to enter the o-zone? is there NZ pressure or the same as the old no pressure from NZ?
still easy as ever.
sucks.
but i remember redshirt saying this was his biggest problem with the game and it probably wouldnt be fixed unless they remade the whole game.

# 126 Smirkin Dirk @ 08/22/13 07:49 AM
Im relatively new to hockey and this feels like a tuned NHL 13.

Only a hockey head will be able to pick out the changes.

# 127 Money99 @ 08/22/13 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
There's a number of things they removed that I don't understand. They used to have players skate out on the ice for the three starts of the game. That's been gone since NHL 11 as well. And after a goal they used to have a team "hug" cutscene, that's gone too.
To be fair, in real life I've seen far too many fights sparked from a big hit where an instigator penalty wasn't issued.

I love the new fighting engine. And I was happy to see I could initiate one prior to the faceoff by simply spamming the Triangle-button.
The only issue with that is the top fighters aren't always the guys that go.
In one scenario, Bergeron fought Bickell despite Chara being out there.
I'm sure some ratings adjustments can help with that though. And I didn't have to accept the fight either.

I'm having a hard time evaluating this game because my 10YO and 7YO son keep stealing the controller from me. They adore the NHL94 mode.
It was also hilarious to see that my 10YO got annoyed with me and my younger son because we always wanted to drop the gloves, "Can we play hockey now?!?!?", haha!

Demo's been a blast so far.

# 128 JezFranco @ 08/22/13 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And I was happy to see I could initiate one prior to the faceoff by simply spamming the Triangle-button.
The only issue with that is the top fighters aren't always the guys that go.
This is in NHL13 also.
Spam the triangle before the face off, and the left winger (always?) will poke and slash at his opponent before the faceoff, and in most cases start a fight upon drop of the puck.

# 129 emericaridr11 @ 08/22/13 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
No, not all of us.
agreed... dont tell me what i do, haha

Honestly dont get why everyone likes to play online, i mean offline is wild but... I cant stand playing against the people who play this game online

way too serious, gotta win, gotta win..... hate that

# 130 Redshirt_EA @ 08/22/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
still easy as ever.
sucks.
but i remember redshirt saying this was his biggest problem with the game and it probably wouldnt be fixed unless they remade the whole game.
Wait what? No, didn't say that and I don't think that.

# 131 canucksss @ 08/22/13 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
There's a number of things they removed that I don't understand. They used to have players skate out on the ice for the three starts of the game. That's been gone since NHL 11 as well. And after a goal they used to have a team "hug" cutscene, that's gone too.
yes if i could add:

1. NZ defense - im sure this was present (as promised via promotion) at the start of 13, but somehow disappear after either a tuner or patch. WHY? Because lots of players complaint about it?

2. Line matching - im not sure if this was in 11 or 12 but it was great to finally adding this feature. WHY REMOVE IT?

Yea this game makes some improvements here and there, but why EA remove some features that ACTUALLY IN THE REAL GAME?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Yeah I know. Depressing isn't it?!
IT IS!

# 132 peter21 @ 08/22/13 02:10 PM
Well, as much as I love my hockey, I think this might be the year NHL gets a 'pass' from me. Time to wait until the next generation.

I've played the demo and I like quite a bit about it: the hitting, the d-men strafing, some different types of goals, the fighting engine. All good stuff.

But essentially, this seems like what amounts to a large patch to NHL 13. Is it worth a $60 purchase? To me, that's not proper value based on what I'm seeing from the demo.

I play mostly EASHL now, and our team has gotten monumentally frustrated since there are mainly just glitching teams on there now. I might be persuaded if we can get a full team of guys that like to play for fun, but at this point my money is going to go to FIFA only for EA sports products.

# 133 Moose24x @ 08/22/13 02:15 PM
Actually, whoever said that there should be a studio that creates an online only EASHL title that requires no NHL licensing and just allows you to create and manage your players, create a team uniform, gear your player and play online against others is a GENIUS.

If that happened, the attributes and ratings and the way they effect EASHL, and the tuning of the game could all be catered to EASHL players to balance and perfect that game mode.

Meaning us offline gamers could finally have attributes that actually WORK and tuners that make changes that make sense for people other than those whining about their EASHL experience.

Two separate titles would be huge. And might actually lead to increased sales.

# 134 Money99 @ 08/22/13 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21
Well, as much as I love my hockey, I think this might be the year NHL gets a 'pass' from me. Time to wait until the next generation.

I've played the demo and I like quite a bit about it: the hitting, the d-men strafing, some different types of goals, the fighting engine. All good stuff.

But essentially, this seems like what amounts to a large patch to NHL 13. Is it worth a $60 purchase? To me, that's not proper value based on what I'm seeing from the demo.

I play mostly EASHL now, and our team has gotten monumentally frustrated since there are mainly just glitching teams on there now. I might be persuaded if we can get a full team of guys that like to play for fun, but at this point my money is going to go to FIFA only for EA sports products.
This is why I hope that one day sports games move to a 24-month release period.
I owned NHL13 for 2 days so I basically skipped the game entirely.
Now playing NHL14, after basically not playing any EA hockey for 2 years, feels a lot more fresh.

A 24-month period would also give the developers a lot more time (time off as well), so that they stay fresh and don't feel as much stress and pressure in such a short turnaround period.

This will never happen because the current system still generates a tonne of money.
But I can dream, can't I?

# 135 Splitter77 @ 08/22/13 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
Wait what? No, didn't say that and I don't think that.
Ha.sorry about that. It was an old post.
I just remember you didn't like they fact it was an issue.
Hopefully its better in the full version of the game.

# 136 bwiggy33 @ 08/22/13 04:02 PM
Well I finally got a chance to play the demo and honestly it doesn't do anything for me but reassure myself I won't be purchasing. There are some positives, but it just feels like the same exact thing over and over and over.

One thing I like is the hitting. I love the no button (even though you can use the RS) because it actually uses impact, speed, timing, angle, etc. into the hit. That's how it should be. It also hits at the proper times which was a fear that many people had when the change was announced.

With the skating I don't feel too much change but that could just be because I haven't played 13 since the first round of the playoffs. It seems a little smoother. Honestly the skating couldn't get anything but better.

Another thing I liked was the after whistle tugging and what not. It looks pretty cool. I dislike the fighting though. I just think it's stupid. More realistic, yes. However, to have this as a huge feature just ticks me off because the fights last 20 seconds. Just dumb.

The feeling I get is the same with every other past NHL game. It is just way too wide open and takes 0 skill. The NHL is all about creating your own space to shoot and get scoring chances. That is non existent in this game. I've said it before but this game is all about flinging long passes and entering the zone by yourself to shoot or deke. How people don't get bored with this is beyond me. The defensive pressure is just severely lacking. I've had numerous times where my players are going on a line change and I'm entering the zone 1 on 3 or 4. In that circumstance the CPU should step up and take the puck away to transition. They don't though and I can skate right into the slot and shoot or deke. It just kills the game.

For me I just don't understand this series. What is the point of having options like All Star, Superstar, and Hardcore Simulation if there is no difference in the way the CPU plays? The defensive pressure is the most notable. It's so frustrating that this game has so many different game styles and options yet every one of them are still catered to people who are casuals. I should be forced to dump the puck in, pass to my teammates to create chances, etc. I feel none of that.

May I also add that in my 5 games I nor the CPU have gone offsides 1 time. That is not a joke, that is the honest truth. That's inexcusable IMO. I hate talking trash about this game but it just sucks that it's the same issues (or lack of changes) every single year. We should be at a point where each game style plays differently so that everyone can enjoy the game how they want. Sadly that isn't the case. I'm hoping and praying Next Gen can get it right.

# 137 actionhank @ 08/22/13 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Well I finally got a chance to play the demo and honestly it doesn't do anything for me but reassure myself I won't be purchasing. There are some positives, but it just feels like the same exact thing over and over and over.

One thing I like is the hitting. I love the no button (even though you can use the RS) because it actually uses impact, speed, timing, angle, etc. into the hit. That's how it should be. It also hits at the proper times which was a fear that many people had when the change was announced.

With the skating I don't feel too much change but that could just be because I haven't played 13 since the first round of the playoffs. It seems a little smoother. Honestly the skating couldn't get anything but better.

Another thing I liked was the after whistle tugging and what not. It looks pretty cool. I dislike the fighting though. I just think it's stupid. More realistic, yes. However, to have this as a huge feature just ticks me off because the fights last 20 seconds. Just dumb.

The feeling I get is the same with every other past NHL game. It is just way too wide open and takes 0 skill. The NHL is all about creating your own space to shoot and get scoring chances. That is non existent in this game. I've said it before but this game is all about flinging long passes and entering the zone by yourself to shoot or deke. How people don't get bored with this is beyond me. The defensive pressure is just severely lacking. I've had numerous times where my players are going on a line change and I'm entering the zone 1 on 3 or 4. In that circumstance the CPU should step up and take the puck away to transition. They don't though and I can skate right into the slot and shoot or deke. It just kills the game.

For me I just don't understand this series. What is the point of having options like All Star, Superstar, and Hardcore Simulation if there is no difference in the way the CPU plays? The defensive pressure is the most notable. It's so frustrating that this game has so many different game styles and options yet every one of them are still catered to people who are casuals. I should be forced to dump the puck in, pass to my teammates to create chances, etc. I feel none of that.

May I also add that in my 5 games I nor the CPU have gone offsides 1 time. That is not a joke, that is the honest truth. That's inexcusable IMO. I hate talking trash about this game but it just sucks that it's the same issues (or lack of changes) every single year. We should be at a point where each game style plays differently so that everyone can enjoy the game how they want. Sadly that isn't the case. I'm hoping and praying Next Gen can get it right.
You hit most of my points right on the head.
I most likely won't be purchasing this year either. I think the skating has definitely improved (I haven't really had to deal with trying to get a guy going up-ice and having him pivot like he's skating in mud) but then again, the skating was fine in the NHL13 Demo, until Sliders and tuners affected it.
I just don't feel that there's going to be enough to keep me interested.
Be a GM got pretty much ignored this year, and i don't know that sliders will be enough to address the issues i have.
The defense is still so passive. I skated in on Zdeno Chara, and instead of using his reach while skating backwards to force me to do something, he just skated backwards in front of me, screening the goalie as i shot through his legs.
The AI in general seems to not have changed much. I was playing earlier and managed to have 2 AI defenders on me, while the other was still entering the zone. My AI teammate was in the right faceoff circle, as i skated towards the corner. Instead of skating towards the net since he was alone, and would be wide open for an easy shot, he just sad still as the AI followed me, and he eventually got covered as i passed to him for a one-timer that had no chance of going in because of his awful positioning.
I was hoping the demo would alleviate any fears i might have about the gameplay not changing, and it could be fun enough for me to ignore the other problems i have with BeaGM as long as the gameplay itself was fun, but it looks like it won't be able to do that.
Oh well, gives me more money to save up for a Next-Gen purchase.

# 138 liberaluser @ 08/22/13 05:50 PM
People are being way too generous in their evaluations of the hitting engine and especially the fighting engine.

The hitting contact physics sometimes get you those nice pushing animations, but even on hardcore sim you can plow through anyone for ridiculously big hits like clockwork. The hitting is set really low and only goes down another notch in the sliders so it won't be better at release. Every year they claim to improve hitting with new technology and always fail to make it even decent.

The fighting feels really clunky and not very fun honestly. Your forced into a jersey grab just like with the first person engine, which makes me think this is in many ways the same engine put into third person. I much rather be able to circle my opponent and set my own tempo in a fight. Hockey fights are exciting because of the anticipation of a showdown and not just two idiots wildly grabbing and punching each other.

# 139 Gagnon39 @ 08/22/13 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
People are being way too generous in their evaluations of the hitting engine and especially the fighting engine.

The hitting contact physics sometimes get you those nice pushing animations, but even on hardcore sim you can plow through anyone for ridiculously big hits like clockwork. The hitting is set really low and only goes down another notch in the sliders so it won't be better at release. Every year they claim to improve hitting with new technology and always fail to make it even decent.

The fighting feels really clunky and not very fun honestly. Your forced into a jersey grab just like with the first person engine, which makes me think this is in many ways the same engine put into third person. I much rather be able to circle my opponent and set my own tempo in a fight.
I had a fight in which we didn't grab one another for about 10-15 second. We stood there swinging. I would imagine its possible to have a fight in which you never grab your opponent. Either way, the fighting is 10,000 times better. Its definitely not perfect, but its much, much better.

# 140 Pezell04x @ 08/22/13 06:43 PM
I did a quick video impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQ3...e_gdata_player

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.