Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

It’s the 37th Episode of the Press Row Podcast, a one-on-one interview with Donny Moore (@Donny_Moore) – otherwise known as Madden’s “Ratings Czar” – and host Rich Grisham (@RichGrisham). The two discuss the overall ratings process, the challenges that he faces, which players are coming in as the best-rated players at each position, some of the biggest movers and shakers since last year, and a position-by-position breakdown of the most important attributes. It’s a fascinating glimpse at a key aspect of the overall Madden experience.
Joining us this week:
Donny Moore, EA Sports (@Donny_Moore)
And your host, Richard Grisham, GamesRadar (@richgrisham)
Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 1 Hours, 2 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 03:11 PM
Please read the thread and catch up. My rationale is the reasons of Donnys ineptness? Now that's comedy right there.

# 22 CheesHd09 @ 08/20/13 03:46 PM
Loooool this provided a nice chuckle.

# 23 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I did read it. I've also listened to the entire podcast. I am not a fan of Mr. Moore's ability either, but in reality, part of the problem as to why the ratings are inflated and the game is so out of balance is because everyone cries that their hometown players are not rated high enough. Due to the way EA markets Madden and handles ratings, this results in unnecessary and unrealistic changes to the ratings which directly effects how the game plays.

There is nothing wrong with RG3 being rated an 89. IMO, that's too high, but it already makes him an elite player after only one season in the NFL.
If he actually listened I would agree 100%, but he is the dictator.
Those are of his opinions, not basedcon stats 40 times or some base line formula.
I not the one to complain about stats but I see guys getting bumped for doing nothing then guys getting super bumped because of name or teams. Its bs.

# 24 stlpimpmonsta @ 08/20/13 03:54 PM
Never though someone would get so confused in something so simple. Is homerism that effective on the mind?

# 25 splff3000 @ 08/20/13 11:47 PM
Is there anything new in this podcast that isn't in this one:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...nny-moore.html

I started listening to the podcast and it was sounding like the interview he did with VSN about ratings so I stopped. I didn't really want to waste an hour listening to the same stuff, but if he mentions some things that are not mentioned in the VSN interview I'll go back and check it out.

# 26 bmj2k7 @ 08/21/13 02:09 AM
I wonder why Brady has a rating of 97 now, when nfl.com got a sneak peak at the ratings, brady and rodgers were tied at 98.

# 27 StreetCarp @ 08/21/13 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Those are of his opinions, not basedcon stats 40 times or some base line formula.
I not the one to complain about stats but I see guys getting bumped for doing nothing then guys getting super bumped because of name or teams. Its bs.
I think you still don't get it. At the beginning of last season, RG3 was fairly rated in Madden and Wilson was very underrated. After a 2012 season in which they played about equally well, they should have fairly similar overalls. Players aren't rated relative to their previous rating.

# 28 EAGLESFAN10 @ 08/21/13 04:04 AM
LMFAO that argument was too funny but at the end of the day. they BOTH only played 1 season

and really RG3 is going to be rayed like 97 anyway once you complete year 1 of your franchise soooo I don't see the point your trying to make

# 29 tru11 @ 08/21/13 07:56 AM
Quote:
im pretty sure wilson had a better game in that wildcard head to head match up with RG3.

im more suprised that keap has the best deepball accuracy in the game and pretty much all of them last year rookie QBs have a better deep ball then joe flacco lol.

# 30 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
im pretty sure wilson had a better game in that wildcard head to head match up with RG3.

im more suprised that keap has the best deepball accuracy in the game and pretty much all of them last year rookie QBs have a better deep ball then joe flacco lol.
It was 14-0 before RG3 got hurt...

You can find deep ball completion percentages over at profootball weekly...

# 31 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmj2k7
I wonder why Brady has a rating of 97 now, when nfl.com got a sneak peak at the ratings, brady and rodgers were tied at 98.
I just want to know the method to his madness. Carlson Palmer is rated I believe 82. NFL Total Access reported that he won something like 9 games in three years, why is he still decent in Madden?

Certain names don't get dropped and I want to know why. Certain guys lose stats when they are injured and certain guys don't, why?

# 32 msdm27 @ 08/21/13 08:31 AM
Quote:
I just want to know the method to his madness. Carlson Palmer is rated I believe 82. NFL Total Access reported that he won something like 9 games in three years, why is he still decent in Madden?

Certain names don't get dropped and I want to know why. Certain guys lose stats when they are injured and certain guys don't, why?
Wins is not exactly the best method to rate a player..... Megatron should have been a 75OVR by that standard. L.Fitz should be quite low too.

And if the point is that wins/losses are usually attached to QB's... just because some people still use that as an argument, it doesn't make it right... muuuuuch more should go into accounting for ovr than w-l record.

That being said, 82 is way too high for CP..... In general, every player is rated too high in Madden.

# 33 msdm27 @ 08/21/13 08:34 AM
And as someone has mentioned before.... updating ratings on a week to week basis is as absurd as it gets.

That's exactly what DPP is supposed to do!!!!

# 34 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
Wins is not exactly the best method to rate a player..... Megatron should have been a 75OVR by that standard. L.Fitz should be quite low too.

And if the point is that wins/losses are usually attached to QB's... just because some people still use that as an argument, it doesn't make it right... muuuuuch more should go into accounting for ovr than w-l record.

That being said, 82 is way too high for CP..... In general, every player is rated too high in Madden.
To my points. Donny is inconsistent. He rewards guy for certain things (wins) and other times he don't.

What's the method to his madness because his body of work is, has been very inconsistent and I don't see it changing.

What are you you using as a guage to the conclusion that everybody is overrated?

# 35 N51_rob @ 08/21/13 01:05 PM
Bigger issue for me is that Donny Moore is only concerned with overalls. So in order to achieve these mythical numbers (that only kids should really care about) he tweaks other ratings that actually effect game play (because remember folks overalls don't effect anything game play related). Since I've seen RGIII used I will use him as my example.

Simply put can anyone offer an explanation as to why Griffin's play action rating is 76 and Kirk Cousins' rating is 86? Not one that is based off what we saw on the field at least. Or why Kirk Cousins (who is more mobile that Sexy Rexy) has the same throw on the run rating as Grossman? Grossman can't actually throw on the run at all. Lastly how on earth does Rex Grossman have a higher awareness rating than Both Griffin and Cousins. Whatever "logic" Donny Moore uses for these ratings is flawed, because all he is really trying to do it get his overalls in line with his personal opinion about these players and teams.

Bottom line the only way the ratings get better is if EA scraps the overall rating completely. Go with a letter grade or something for that.

# 36 friscob @ 08/21/13 01:20 PM
Think the ovr rating only comes into play on the CPU depth chart positioning and for draft ranking purposes. Other than that it's just a thing for NFL players to feel proud about as if it's some sort of honor and NFL fans to argue about b/c their favorite player is being disrespected

Think franchise and Dynasty modes would be a lot more interesting w/out ovr ratings. You would just have to evaluate each individual skill rating to decide if they're a good fit for your team.

# 37 Gorilla Glass @ 08/21/13 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Bigger issue for me is that Donny Moore is only concerned with overalls. So in order to achieve these mythical numbers (that only kids should really care about) he tweaks other ratings that actually effect game play (because remember folks overalls don't effect anything game play related). Since I've seen RGIII used I will use him as my example.

Simply put can anyone offer an explanation as to why Griffin's play action rating is 76 and Kirk Cousins' rating is 86? Not one that is based off what we saw on the field at least. Or why Kirk Cousins (who is more mobile that Sexy Rexy) has the same throw on the run rating as Grossman? Grossman can't actually throw on the run at all. Lastly how on earth does Rex Grossman have a higher awareness rating than Both Griffin and Cousins. Whatever "logic" Donny Moore uses for these ratings is flawed, because all he is really trying to do it get his overalls in line with his personal opinion about these players and teams.

Bottom line the only way the ratings get better is if EA scraps the overall rating completely. Go with a letter grade or something for that.
And this is what I'm talking about right here...

This really confuses me. There were games were RG3 wasn't given ANY increase in ratings, while other rookies got increases for doing less. I don't get it.

# 38 N51_rob @ 08/21/13 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Think franchise and Dynasty modes would be a lot more interesting w/out ovr ratings. You would just have to evaluate each individual skill rating to decide if they're a good fit for your team.
Could not agree more with this. I know that in the better madden leagues no one really used them or even posts about them in trade block threads.

# 39 ggsimmonds @ 08/21/13 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob

Completely agree. This year Flacco's THP is 98, last year it was 96. Did his arm get stronger in the past year? No, Donny just had to adjust ratings to manipulate overalls. This should make it rather obvious that the rating system is flawed

# 40 friscob @ 08/21/13 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Completely agree. This year Flacco's THP is 98, last year it was 96. Did his arm get stronger in the past year? No, Donny just had to adjust ratings to manipulate overalls. This should make it rather obvious that the rating system is flawed
Everything run by humans is flawed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.