Home
NHL 14 News Post

EA Sports will reveal the Top 50 rated players in NHL 14 this week. Every day this week, ten new players will have their ratings unveiled as we count down to the best overall player in NHL 14. Today EA reveals the top 41 through 50.

Quote:
Although each player will receive an initial rating when the game launches in two weeks’ time, NHL 14 features Dynamic Ratings Updates, so the player’s performance in the real world results in changes to their in-game ratings.
  • 50. D. Girardi (NYR) – OVR 88
  • 49. J. Voracek (PHI) – OVR 88
  • 48, M. Pacioretty (MTL) – OVR 88
  • 47. D. Byfuglien (WPG) – OVR 88
  • 46. D. Doughty (LAK) – OVR 88
  • 45. P. Sharp (CHI) – OVR 88
  • 44. J. Benn (DAL) – OVR 88
  • 43. R. Getzlaf (ANA) – OVR 88
  • 42. J. Carter (LAK) – OVR 88
  • 41. E. Staal (CAR) – OVR 88

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The Amaizen Blue @ 08/26/13 02:12 PM
Dynamic ratings aside, on what planet is Drew Doughty ranked the same as Byfuglien and Girardi... Doughty is a top 5-8 dman in the league.

# 2 gator3guy @ 08/26/13 02:15 PM
Voracek is still a sniper

# 3 Al_Tito13 @ 08/26/13 02:49 PM
From that list, only Staal, Getzlaf and Doughty deserve to be an 88. Other players are all overrated by at least 1 or 2. No doubt that this year's ratings will be way higher than last year. In fact, it was already quite obvious after looking at ratings in the demo and now it's confirmed after looking at those. Personally, I don't really like having that many players with a 88+ rating.

# 4 johnnyrocks @ 08/26/13 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
From that list, only Staal, Getzlaf and Doughty deserve to be an 88. Other players are all overrated by at least 1 or 2. No doubt that this year's ratings will be way higher than last year. In fact, it was already quite obvious after looking at ratings in the demo and now it's confirmed after looking at those. Personally, I don't really like having that many players with a 88+ rating.
Yeah it sets apart the difference between a superstar and a star. I also think that the ratings still should be decreased to show the difference. EA needs to decrease some of the ratings, so we can differentiate between a great player and an okay player.

Maybe for a grinder 4th line (66-70's). 3rd Liners should be mid 70s and then 2nd liners should change, I really don't like the ratings that EA puts.

# 5 Simple Mathematics @ 08/26/13 03:14 PM
Hey guys. I just posted the Revamped Rosters' #41-50 in its own thread. Go check it out.

As for EA's ratings, I agree with the posters above me. They are going to be too high I think.

# 6 Semipro91 @ 08/26/13 03:23 PM
I dont mind these ratings if they are based on individual skills. Is Doughty a better Defenseman than Giradi? Offensively without a doubt. Few Defenseman in the NHL play defense and block shots better than Giradi. So if that means that these guys are both 88's but Drew is way better than Giradi at Offense (and Giradi better at D) than Im fine with them both being an 88 overall.

# 7 savoie2006 @ 08/26/13 03:52 PM
This has always bothered me. People put too much stock into overalls. It's the individual ratings, if they work properly, that matter most.

# 8 TommyWizard @ 08/26/13 05:53 PM
Kind of shocked to see that #50 is 88 overall.
Is it safe to assume then that Crosby is likely a 98 then because all those players seem very over valued. Unless they've tweaked the GM Mode thats going to be very difficult in the likes of Pittsburgh to sustain the likes of Crosby / Malkin / Fluery / Letang etc.

# 9 voodoo_magic @ 08/27/13 12:19 AM
You know the ratings are spot on when guys have nearly every number the same for a category.
Just browsing through the EA site and Carter and Sharp both have 88's for all 4 puck skills ratings and guys have nearly the same ratings for wrist and slap shots.
It looks like it literally took them 30 seconds to come up with these.

# 10 Simple Mathematics @ 08/27/13 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_magic
You know the ratings are spot on when guys have nearly every number the same for a category.
Just browsing through the EA site and Carter and Sharp both have 88's for all 4 puck skills ratings and guys have nearly the same ratings for wrist and slap shots.
I've always disliked this as well. This will not be the case in the Revamped Rosters. EA had one scout contribute to their ratings. The Revamped team uses scouting reports from 3 different websites as well as career stats to determine player ratings. Since players progress too much and too quickly, we scaled down player potential. We use potential ratings from Hockey's Future to determine players' potentials.

And we don't get paid for this. We do it out of love for the game.

# 11 gator3guy @ 08/27/13 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_magic
You have no idea how much this annoys me. It's just lazy.

# 12 savoie2006 @ 08/27/13 01:15 AM
Why don't we wait and see how the dynamic ratings feature plays out. Not like the ratings play that big of a role in the game.

# 13 Simple Mathematics @ 08/27/13 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Why don't we wait and see how the dynamic ratings feature plays out. Not like the ratings play that big of a role in the game.
Since I play BaGM exclusively, this feature has no meaning for me. For online players it will though.

# 14 savoie2006 @ 08/27/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Since I play BaGM exclusively, this feature has no meaning for me. For online players it will though.
As I said though, ratings don't have enough of an effect to get so worked up about anyways. Neither do sliders sadly or this games faults could possibly be atoned for.

# 15 canucksss @ 08/27/13 12:28 PM
Quote:
i applaud your faith in EA savoei....how i wish i have the same optimism like you

This is the reason why this game play is far from real NHL. Same players play the same way, team play the same way.

How I wish there's another company that could emerge and compete against EA.

# 16 savoie2006 @ 08/27/13 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
i applaud your faith in EA savoei....how i wish i have the same optimism like you

This is the reason why this game play is far from real NHL. Same players play the same way, team play the same way.

How I wish there's another company that could emerge and compete against EA.
I wouldn't call it faith. It's more of learning to be happy with what I've got. I can't go without a new hockey game every year. That really sucked when 2K was in business, because I would often buy both every year. So it's more of a weakness. I wish for players to play more like they do in reality as well, along with many other wants the community has. I just realize that it's really out of my control and even the developers control to an extent. They have to make a game that is gonna appeal to as wide of an audience as possible so that it will sell no matter what. As far as NHL 14 goes, one of the big reasons I'm buying it is for the new divisions and hopefully the new playoff system. Plus I do like the new improvements, even if not perfect. I've liked the improvements every year for this series, except 12 which was garbage. I really do hope the Ai and Presentation get major attention for 15 though. Those improvements alone would go a long way to making the game feel fresh. We will see...

# 17 canucksss @ 08/27/13 02:22 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't call it faith. It's more of learning to be happy with what I've got. I can't go without a new hockey game every year. That really sucked when 2K was in business, because I would often buy both every year. So it's more of a weakness. I wish for players to play more like they do in reality as well, along with many other wants the community has. I just realize that it's really out of my control and even the developers control to an extent. They have to make a game that is gonna appeal to as wide of an audience as possible so that it will sell no matter what. As far as NHL 14 goes, one of the big reasons I'm buying it is for the new divisions and hopefully the new playoff system. Plus I do like the new improvements, even if not perfect. I've liked the improvements every year for this series, except 12 which was garbage. I really do hope the Ai and Presentation get major attention for 15 though. Those improvements alone would go a long way to making the game feel fresh. We will see...
we're on the same table...i love the game of hockey...heck, i have hockey game since 91.

i guess that's why im so frustrated with EA is because all the things that worked in the past, they remove it the next year. they turned this game into a table hockey, no sense of Defense, just going North and South. I left EA in 2003 and 2k3 did it for me until 2k7. In 2008 till 2010, i have both EA and 2K.

But looking at EA, from 2007-2013, there was only 1 or 2 that i really liked. I like the improvements they this year in Fighting (visible teammates, both on ice and bench), but fighting occur not every night. And seldom you see multiple fights in one game.

A non-improvement in many aspects of the game, which IMHO is more important than fighting (ex. player differentiation, NZ d, presentation, etc.), makes me hate EA for leaving these out untouched or removed from past version.

# 18 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/27/13 09:55 PM
I'll believe the dynamic ratings when I see it. EA has been terrible at updating ratings and rosters for the NHL series

# 19 savoie2006 @ 08/27/13 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I'll believe the dynamic ratings when I see it. EA has been terrible at updating ratings and rosters for the NHL series
Seems to me like it will be updated once you connect to the servers. Kinda of like a constant online roster update. I don't know. No matter what, it's too bad it won't apply to BAGM. I hope they finally add roster/slider sharing on next gen. That makes life much easier for us offline gamers.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.