Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

On occasion, we tag Forum posts for the homepage at OS. This NBA 2K14 impressions, videos and Q&A thread is a prime example. See below to read JasonWilliams55 impressions, then continue into the comments for Q&A from him, as well as Lid, based off of their hands-on at the Vegas EXPO.

Sup y'all?

Let me start with some background then I'll dive into the questions from my original Vegas thread.

So I arrived at the EXPO with the other billions of people and finally made it over to the 2K booth were they had 8 stations setup with 2K14, all first quarter 6 minutes long and only Spurs v Heat, you could switch between teams though. The build itself was extremely basic, no PnR action, no Playcalling, broadcast cam, pro settings.

So I get there at 11am, play until 1230-1'ish when Ronnie and LD2K arrived, so I stopped playing (somewhat) and talked to them for the most part until PG arrived (115ish until 230ish iirc) PG thoroughly whipped Ronnie. After PG left, Ronnie was floating around the booth, LD2K was sitting in a chair where Lids (OS) and I had surrounded him and was picking his brain and just general chatting about all things 2K/NBA, future of, visions, etc... Very enlightening talk, Chris and Ronnie are both standup peeps, very down to earth (as Lids said), they believe in the product (not just business belief either) but truly want the best basketball sim (yes SIM) possible, but alas they are not the makers nor the directors. They both want to be as transparent as possible but they still have strings attached (so to speak) to them. Don't look into the 'strings' part, its the best wording I can think of this morning.

So back to the chatting, from 230 - 4ish it was LD2K (Chris), Lids and I, straight up, no one else. At 4-415ish, they had to get ready to leave, and so, by the graces of all things 2K, Lids and I were both invited to come hang while they spent their free time before having to leave for PAX (oh yeah, some info will be dropped there, so be ready for that). So from 415ish until 715, I was able to talk to Ronnie and Chris (unfiltered) (Lids had to bounce for a bit but made it back around 7) so it was literally Ronnie, Chris and me for roughly 3 hours. Alot of things were discussed, some I can talk about some I can't, so much intertwined that I feel for how the Czar has to choose his words when he posts.

On that 3 hours... we talked/discussed current gen, next gen, future of both, marketing for both, gameplay ideas, whats doable, what not, etc etc etc... but let me get straight to next gen since its very easy to talk about. I got no info on it, they would not discuss it, period, but, let me say, they were bursting at the seams wanting to talk about it, more so than a 300lb man at an all you can eat.

They were honestly giddy about next gen and what its gonna do, but at the same time they had that childish fever about it, they also didn't want to dismiss want current gen has to offer.

Man, there is a lot I want to say, but just can't quite say outright and will wait until after some more official things are said.

Current Gen (CG)

CG is the culmination of 2k11 - 2k13, the best of each one mashed together, ironed out, tuned and balanced on both sides of the ball. Even with the lame demo build that was there, it was smoother, cleaner and more polished feeling than 13, yes that noticeable even on the demo build.

The build Ronnie and PG played on, made the demo feel a year old, it was 10x smoother/cleaner than the demo build. It was played on PS3 throughout the EXPO, with no noticeable jaggies anywhere, that is how smooth it looked. I was surprised by that, since the PS3 versions have always had that noticeable lack of graphical quality than the Xbox versions, that was no longer apparent. But I also did not get to see a Xbox version either, so take that for what it is. Just know that 14 is not a 10x increase on graphics (they are maxed out of memory on CG) but it is cleaner and more polished looking.

Graphic wise I guess one COULD say 14 is NBA2K13.5, but I wouldn't worry about that aspect, 14 gameplay wise is >>>> 13.

So while 14 might look like 13, it definitely does not play like it.

Not gonna get into details quite yet, but will when I go through and answer the questions, that's where you'll find the meat and potatoes. And at the end of the q/a section, I will leave y'all with one MAJOR TEASE. Yes... yes... hate me now.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 juicey79 @ 08/30/13 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollooff320
In the first video Leonard goes on a fast break and I think it's Chalmers on the the side of him, and I see Leonard goes right through Chalmers for a dunk. I hope I don't see a lot of that.
But Leonard has the ability to go through Chalmers IRL. He went through Miller remember?
Unless he warped through him which I don't remember seeing him do in game.

# 122 stillfeelme @ 08/30/13 10:41 AM
Another thing I noticed is the CPU can finally get hit on the picks more consistently. It happens in 2K13 but they would slide in and out of most picks that the picks would be useless.

Something I just noticed but I think they may have programmed some random transition defense lost on switch mishaps. Watch around 2:40 when Haslem gets stripped by Leonard. Haslem comes back on defense and Leonard didn't get back yet but he saw Parker open briefly so he picked him up. This caused Chalmers to switch to Splitter and left Bosh covering no one in the paint as he was helping out on Duncan. Finally when Leonard gets down court he is open for a 3 and hit it. I found another example but will not go into detail

This actually happens in real games I think they actually made it like this. Just very interesting it is a "little things" details that it very impressive. If you watch enough NBA games you see this type of thing happening enough.

# 123 The 24th Letter @ 08/30/13 10:59 AM
SOME missed collisions are inevitable with the transition from "2 man animations"...

My issue is when it happens as much as it did in 2k13. Watching these video, those numbers seem to be way down...

# 124 MarkWilliam @ 08/30/13 11:09 AM
Remember guys, what we saw was the earlier build.

The build Ronnie and PG played may just have had any of the above mentioned issued ironed out perhaps?

Would LOVE to see something from that.....

# 125 juicey79 @ 08/30/13 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
I was first thinking about just getting the next gen version but when 1 October gets here and I know there's a new 2K available, how can I continue to sit out another 2 months without playing it
I'm with you Bro...my wife don't understand the logic...I told her I don't understand a $2000 handbag either.
I'm getting both a 360 and PS4 version

# 126 westfl87 @ 08/30/13 11:17 AM
great write up!

# 127 Coach2K @ 08/30/13 11:21 AM
I love the game already and so I'm sure ill enjoy this one. My only concern is these are the two best teams with good defensive skills already. Just hoping they rep my Pacers well as well as all the other teams. Once I get a feel for that, then I'll feel better.

It's prob to late to ask Jwill but I was wondering if they are finally satisfied with where all the controls are because as an older player I'm hoping I don't have to keep relearning that every year - arthritis and all lol.

# 128 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/30/13 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I might be the only one but I ain't too blown away by theses vids. Some good things here and there but as a whole it doesn't flow that well to me.

I might need to play the game to get a good feel for it.

Anything that bothered you while playing the game Jwill? What's your overall impression now a day later?

By the way, how was moving around the permiter? Did you feel really free or where you fighting animations?
Not really much, contact was there, game speed was a bit slower overall but the explosions/quickness was still there. TP was definitely quick off his first step, as he blew by me a few times ... just that quick.

Some really nice layup animations happened, as well as some good looking post/up n under stuff.

Flashy passes was the only thing that made me raise an eyebrow... while looking nice... just too accurate, but when I brought it up I was assured that it was only due to the build.

movement felt fine, as said a bit slower, but that's good it (for me) felt normal cause my slider set has the speed lowered.

Never felt like I was fighting animations, wish I would've been able to edit difficulty tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Something that I picked up on whilst watching the longer video: there's a nice change of speed by LeBron around 7:15, where he's upright in transition, see's an opening and blows right by Duncan. That looked better than it has done before. In 2K13, you would probably need a wider angle to go around Duncan(If you weren't in the 2-player animation).

JWill, how did you feel about the audio?
the station's volumes were hella low and borderlands booth was right there doing multiplayer games. So I can't really say.

# 129 Coach2K @ 08/30/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
Flashy passes was the only thing that made me raise an eyebrow... while looking nice... just too accurate, but when I brought it up I was assured that it was only due to the build.
As turnover prone as my team is I'm not expecting accuracy - only to get killed by it since a flashy pass prob adds to momentum a bit for my opponent lol.

# 130 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/30/13 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
I love the game already and so I'm sure ill enjoy this one. My only concern is these are the two best teams with good defensive skills already. Just hoping they rep my Pacers well as well as all the other teams. Once I get a feel for that, then I'll feel better.

It's prob to late to ask Jwill but I was wondering if they are finally satisfied with where all the controls are because as an older player I'm hoping I don't have to keep relearning that every year - arthritis and all lol.
I did ask about controls going forward but they said something to the effect of we have to keep idea paths open or something like that..

Quote:
As turnover prone as my team is I'm not expecting accuracy - only to get killed by it since a flashy pass prob adds to momentum a bit for my opponent lol.
Yeah I'm sure it adds to the momentum system.

# 131 Melbournelad @ 08/30/13 12:06 PM
A new mode? You would of thought they could have paid attention to the existing modes glaring issues first before creating another one...

# 132 MarvinOida @ 08/30/13 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
A new mode? You would of thought they could have paid attention to the existing modes glaring issues first before creating another one...
Maybe its all connected. You know like.....

Cause you never know for sure until you see it.

# 133 poloelite @ 08/30/13 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
The guys we talked to play the game as much as we do and they're more than aware of the issues we have with the current modes. Current gen is/was capped on memory so it didn't leave room for massive improvements and additions. I was assured by Chris/LD2K that next gen doesn't have such restrictions so a lot of legacy issues can be addressed, while not sacrificing additions that will take the title forward in exciting new ways.

# 134 MarvinOida @ 08/30/13 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
The guys we talked to play the game as much as we do and they're more than aware of the issues we have with the current modes. Current gen is/was capped on memory so it didn't leave room for massive improvements and additions. I was assured by Chris/LD2K that next gen doesn't have such restrictions so a lot of legacy issues can be addressed, while not sacrificing additions that will take the title forward in exciting new ways.
When I read this, I always think RAM, when really I should assume disk space. Right? But I hope we see more improvements cause obviously its a jump from 9GB to 25GB (dual-layer to Blu-Ray)

# 135 poloelite @ 08/30/13 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
Great stuff. Can't wait for the demo. I think I've decided to get current gen. Maybe for Christmas though. I usually get it on launch day but I've got so many games I want to get and limited funds.
Yo, this is the one man. Playing it felt like the culmination of 3 great games (11, 12 and 13) all rolled in one, rather than a money grab before they move on to greener pastures. I think it's evident in the marketing strategy. They wouldn't spend dollars on this one if it was just throw away game that they could allocate to next gen. They are purposely putting off next gen info, because current gen is about to drop the final gem. I'm a defensive guy and the game finally felt tuned and balanced with what was at your disposal on both sides of the ball. I just wouldn't want you to miss out on what could be the defining game of this generation on day 1. Chris/LD2K did tell me that both games will be basketball sims that can stand on their own and bball heads would want to have both in their catalogs. I can't confirm next gen is a keeper myself yet, but everything is pointing in that direction for current gen.

# 136 poloelite @ 08/30/13 01:26 PM
Quote:

I don't think any of us asked if this was the end of the controls merry go round, but I got the feeling that it could be only minor tweaks from here. The way you can string dribbles together and then into shots is all done naturally with no modifier needed. That translates to no delay in motion (if you're good enough) from beating a guy off the dribble to finishing the play with the same initial advantage. They also finally balanced it with defensive moves, techniques, animations, blocking and crowding sequences that can disrupt an offense if you time it correctly, just like in real life.

# 137 stizz @ 08/30/13 02:02 PM
Is this new mode a playable mode? Maybe it could be something like spectator mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

# 138 stillfeelme @ 08/30/13 02:10 PM
Quote:

I think they will get your team right. Some of these things will apply for all teams. With all the defensive improvements they made. Pacers have a rim protector, an elite perimeter defender in George. I think you may get playoff Hibbert. Your Pacer's will have problems on offense and bench but probably little problems on defense.

# 139 Lid @ 08/30/13 02:28 PM
Quote:

i'd like to say i'm good with the control changes, but i cant because i DESPISE playing on tat sideline veiw, and the controls were still relative to that view. So i couldnt get comfortable with the new controls due to it not being on 2k view. BUT for me always changing the controls is annoying. i kinda feel like the changes arent necessarily progressive, its like a lateral move, just to change something.

i'm still on the fence about buying the game day 1. i dont play the cpu much, so i need to see more user v user games. because user v user is where a lot of the shenanigans happens.

# 140 Sundown @ 08/30/13 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
When I read this, I always think RAM, when really I should assume disk space. Right? But I hope we see more improvements cause obviously its a jump from 9GB to 25GB (dual-layer to Blu-Ray)
It's probably RAM in most cases unless we're talking about audio and graphical additions. You can see how hard up 2K is on ram by playing a full 48 minute game. You get incomplete and janky gametrack log. Or maybe it's just a bug as I see the replay in the player highlights but not in the log.

It's a bummer because sometimes I want to go back and save a phenomenal or rare play. Can't wait to start saving a bunch on next-gen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.