Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Thanks to @DmanUnt2014 for the video footage and @IpodKingCarter for the images captured for details of the new NBA 2K14 Signature Skills listed below.

Chris Manning (@LD2K) also mentioned that the developers went in and tinkered with all of the original Signature Skills from last year, as they rebalanced and made sure they were more polished.

UPDATE: Just added all of the new NBA 2K14 Signature Skills screenshots, thanks to @LD2K.
  • LeBron Coast to Coast (Available for pre-orders)

Takes the ball coast to coast and finishes through contact. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 4 points and the shot penalty enforced for hitting a defender is decreased when taking the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

• One Man Fastbreak

A player known for his ability to take the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 6 points if this player takes the ball from one end of the court to another on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

• Pick Dodger

A player that does not get caught up on screens very easily. He counters the Brick Wall Signature Skill, and when hitting a screen set by a regular player, the screen often fails to be effective.

• Tenacious Rebounder

This player is known for his relentlessness when going for rebounds. During rebound situations, he receives up to a 50% increase in winning boxout battles and poking balls loose on rebounds.

• Flashy Passer

This player is known for accurate flashy passes. When throwing a flashy pass, the penalty enforced will be reduced by up to 60%.

• Screen Outlet

A player who excels as the receiver in the pick & roll / pop game. If this player shoots immediately following a screen he set, he receives up to a 4 point boost to his shooting attribute.

• Pick & Roll Maestro

A ball-handler who excels at orchestrating the pick & roll. As the point man in a pick & roll, immediately following a screen this player receives a 3 point boost to his shooting attribute and is more accurate than most when passing to the screener.

NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 knick9 @ 08/30/13 11:47 PM
I like the pick and roll boosts simply because it's the most common basketball play but almost nobody uses it against other users. Most people simply isolate with a star player or run around until there's an opening in the defense. I think it's great to reward people for running actual plays. I seriously can't remember the last time somebody executed a pick and roll on me, or even tried. People call for picks but that's just to be able to drive and dunk. Now hopefully we'll see more passing and shooting off screens.

# 62 hear me now @ 08/30/13 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation.

There's actually a video where Iggy talks through his defensive philosophy and has a clip of him skillfully stopping Lebron's attack without fouling. He talks about how he knows he isn't going to get the charge call and just needs to make Lebron take an extra side step since he finishes worse that way.
Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYWL8EQVsR4

# 63 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/31/13 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub33
Lol @ negative sig skills. I like that coach. You could give Manu a turnover sig and lebron a scared of the big shot sig lol
People believe nonsense like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
I have no idea why there needs to be a one-man fastbreak sig skill. If you've got someone like Westbrook or Parker, who are the quintessential one-man fastbreaks, why would they need a sig skill for which they can do perfectly fine without it? They already have finisher/acrobat, so why do they need to be even more deadly? They're already quick. I don't see the point.
This applies to pretty much every sig skill.

# 64 fpliii @ 08/31/13 12:21 AM
Just wondering...will there be pre-order bonuses for next-gen consoles as well?

# 65 Goffs @ 08/31/13 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOYS3

Charge Card
Example Players: Udonis Haslem, Raja Bell, Kyle Lowry
This player specializes in the art of drawing charges. When attempting to take a charge, a player equipped with the Charge Card skill will have a 50% better chance of drawing the charge than others. His teammates will also receive a small energy boost if the Charge Card player receives the beneficial call.
You know a sig skill is bad when people don't realize its already in the game and this was the most useless sig skill in 2k13....even if it was tweaked to make it work on 2k14 I still wouldn't use it...

I would replace this skill with something defensive like TENACIOUS SHOT BLOCKER to complement ERASER. They have Tenacious rebounder so I don't see anything wrong with having a Tenacious shot blocker....

I feel defense is getting shafted again on the sig skills department...IMO...

# 66 papaey @ 08/31/13 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
You know a sig skill is bad when people don't realize its already in the game and this was the most useless sig skill in 2k13....even if it was tweaked to make it work on 2k14 I still wouldn't use it...

I would replace this skill with something defensive like TENACIOUS SHOT BLOCKER to complement ERASER. They have Tenacious rebounder so I don't see anything wrong with having a Tenacious shot blocker....

I feel defense is getting shafted again on the sig skills department...IMO...
That would be redundant.

# 67 benson_bone @ 08/31/13 07:29 AM
Since my main myplayer is an athletic pf meant for rebounding and defense I got my hopes up when i saw "Tenacious Rebounder".

Ofcourse i was immediately disappointed after reading "This player is known for his relentlessness when going for rebounds. During rebound situations, he receives up to a 50% increase in winning boxout battles and poking balls loose on rebounds."

This is just half of scrapper from last year, which imo sucked for rebounding. There wasn't a noticeable difference with boxing out and with potential rebounds my player would often tap a ball he would otherwise grab. Which is annoying for two reasons; 1. on defense it would often be tapped to the opposing team resulting in a layup/dunk, 2. your stats take a big hit when this happens 5+ times a game.

I was expecting (hoping for):
- less goaltending and offensive interference, could be done by pulling hands away when necessary or even have the cpu correct your timing.
- more effective boxing out (that actually works)
- flashy rebounding animations (think rodman, even though i'd prefer this by way of choosing rebounding animations/packages like you can do with dunks and dribbling
- increase in putback layup/dunk succes
- triggering suitable rebounding animations so my guy won't be grabbing air in front of him when the ball is above him.
- TAPPING the ball to teammates when you're not in position to GRAB the ball.

# 68 benson_bone @ 08/31/13 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaey
That would be redundant.
I don't think so, eraser was meant mostly for emphatic block animations. Tenacious shotblocker would suggest the ability to keep up with the play after the initial block and be able to block multiple shots in a row, maybe even a higher success rate with blocking dunks.

# 69 mango_prom @ 08/31/13 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
I love signature skills in NBA2K. Something that was adopted many years ago in Pro Evolution Soccer with the Player Skill Cards. Adds a whole new dimension of individuality. Which is what sports games are all about in the end. Otherwise you get EA generic crap: every player moves and plays exactly the same.
Wait what? Do you even know what sig skills are? They don't change anything about how players move and play. That's nonsense. All they do is modify already existing ratings by fixed amounts. You really shouldn't buy into marketing gimmicks that easily. There can be a case made for sig skills being useful, but not for your reason. That's not what they do at all. What you're talking about are signature animations and individual tendencies. Remove sig skills completely...and players would still play in exactly the same way. Slightly different outcomes due to rating changes, but everything else stays the same.

And the Lebron sig skill...so there's a one man fastbreak skill boosting speed, ball handling and quickness in the open court. But if you preorder, you get the Lebron skill, which boosts...speed, ball handling and quickness in the open court. Awesome.

# 70 Vni @ 08/31/13 07:40 AM
One day we will have killstreaks in nba 2K. Book it.

# 71 benson_bone @ 08/31/13 07:42 AM
btw, did anyone else chuckle when the guy said "we're pretty strict of what you can get away with" about flashy passer.

I don't know if you've seen the gameplay videos but i saw some bs passes in there. Across the paint with the ball going right in front of the sleeping defenders who are looking straight at it and doing absolutely nothing.

# 72 Vni @ 08/31/13 07:44 AM
Signature skills are boring and redundant. 95% of them serve no purpose at all. You have ratings and hot zones. No need for other boosts coming from nowhere.

# 73 Goffs @ 08/31/13 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaey
That would be redundant.
So are half the skills so why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson_bone
I don't think so, eraser was meant mostly for emphatic block animations. Tenacious shotblocker would suggest the ability to keep up with the play after the initial block and be able to block multiple shots in a row, maybe even a higher success rate with blocking dunks.
This guy gets it!

# 74 benson_bone @ 08/31/13 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Wait what? Do you even know what sig skills are? They don't change anything about how players move and play. That's nonsense. All they do is modify already existing ratings by fixed amounts. You really shouldn't buy into marketing gimmicks that easily. There can be a case made for sig skills being useful, but not for your reason. That's not what they do at all. What you're talking about are signature animations and individual tendencies. Remove sig skills completely...and players would still play in exactly the same way. Slightly different outcomes due to rating changes, but everything else stays the same.

And the Lebron sig skill...so there's a one man fastbreak skill boosting speed, ball handling and quickness in the open court. But if you preorder, you get the Lebron skill, which boosts...speed, ball handling and quickness in the open court. Awesome.
I'm pretty sure some of the sig skills do affect tendencies.

And to be fair, the lebron skill also serves as finisher on the fastbreak. But yeah, it's hardly worth a pre-order.

# 75 mango_prom @ 08/31/13 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benson_bone
I'm pretty sure some of the sig skills do affect tendencies.

And to be fair, the lebron skill also serves as finisher on the fastbreak. But yeah, it's hardly worth a pre-order.
No 2k13 sig skill influences tendencies as far as I know. Here's a breakdown of all the effects, I'm pretty sure they haven't missed anything.
http://ps3.mmgn.com/Articles/nba-2k1...e-skills-guide

The only things close to having an impact on tendencies are stuff like ankle breaker and post proficiency, which kind of change the odds of certain animations triggered for the defender. But the guy having the skill doesn't behave any different.

About Lebron...you're right. But finisher is in the game already. So kinda redundant. Besides, why does James need an artificial rating boost for being effective in the open court? Doesn't make any sense. He's good in transition because there's more space for him to accelerate and use his athleticism...which he always has. What a pointless idea. But kids gonna love it. Maybe it's easier to run fast in transition with a clear path to the basket than in the half court with 3 guys crowding the lane for obvious reasons...or let's pretend it's because during a fast break Lebron gets super powers in real life I mean if kids like this that's cool, but sig skills should be removable. That's big for custom rosters.

# 76 brian05fubu @ 08/31/13 08:13 AM
can't wait

# 77 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/31/13 08:57 AM
TBH, I only noticed the LBJ sig skill light up one time (that I can clearly recall). Coulda happened more, but just didn't see it.

LD2K said the DEVS took feedback from here to reconfigure the SIG SKILLS and re-balance them. Now if that is PR talk or not, it is what it is.

The LBJ SS will only apply to MyPlayers as I don't think anyone else in the NBA will get this, nor would they have this applied to them.

C2C, hopefully its not halloween candy. I don't think it will be overpowered, as, what constitutes a FB in 2k? Only way to get an idea is to look at FB points in 13 matches. 10-20 points or so, so 5-10 maybe 15 FBs a game? Somewhere around there?

Also you will have to have numbers in transition for it to be considered a FB, and in the demo build, the CPU was getting back. I only had a few instances to where I can specifically remember having a proper fastbreak.

So all in all, I wouldn't naturally assume to worry about it, lets, let it roll out, get some time with it and do as Czar has mentioned and get a thread going with proper feedback for the DEVS as we know they come on here for ideas/etc, and do our thing. This would be the most productive way to get what we want out of 2K.

# 78 benson_bone @ 08/31/13 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
No 2k13 sig skill influences tendencies as far as I know. Here's a breakdown of all the effects, I'm pretty sure they haven't missed anything.
http://ps3.mmgn.com/Articles/nba-2k1...e-skills-guide

The only things close to having an impact on tendencies are stuff like ankle breaker and post proficiency, which kind of change the odds of certain animations triggered for the defender. But the guy having the skill doesn't behave any different.

About Lebron...you're right. But finisher is in the game already. So kinda redundant. Besides, why does James need an artificial rating boost for being effective in the open court? Doesn't make any sense. He's good in transition because there's more space for him to accelerate and use his athleticism...which he always has. What a pointless idea. But kids gonna love it. Maybe it's easier to run fast in transition with a clear path to the basket than in the half court with 3 guys crowding the lane for obvious reasons...or let's pretend it's because during a fast break Lebron gets super powers in real life I mean if kids like this that's cool, but sig skills should be removable. That's big for custom rosters.
The main thing that popped up in my head was posterizer, i assumed it gives you an increase in dunk tendency. Which is the reason why robert pack and others with very high dunk tendency will dunk on anybody without having to put posterizer on them.

And others could be highlight film, or ankle breaker like you mentioned.

About the lebron sig skill, it fits lebron perfectly imo. However i do agree it's a pointless sig skill, for the simple reason that the finisher part ONLY works in transition. I think the "finisher" sig skill works in transition as well, so i don't see any reason why anyone would choose to combine "lebron coast2coast with finisher" over "one man fastbreak with finisher".

Just to be clear i'm only talking in regards to mycareer, crew and myteam.

# 79 Boilerbuzz @ 08/31/13 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com

One of the things that I thought was unique about the idea of signature skills is that they would help you find ways to use the role players. More often than not, I think the bulk of the sigs are given to the stars.
THIS! This is where I get frustrated! The validation of the system was that it made role players useful by accentuating what they did best without boosting their ratings artificially.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

# 80 Csquared @ 08/31/13 10:48 AM
Where is Posterizer?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.