Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Thanks to @DmanUnt2014 for the video footage and @IpodKingCarter for the images captured for details of the new NBA 2K14 Signature Skills listed below.

Chris Manning (@LD2K) also mentioned that the developers went in and tinkered with all of the original Signature Skills from last year, as they rebalanced and made sure they were more polished.

UPDATE: Just added all of the new NBA 2K14 Signature Skills screenshots, thanks to @LD2K.
  • LeBron Coast to Coast (Available for pre-orders)

Takes the ball coast to coast and finishes through contact. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 4 points and the shot penalty enforced for hitting a defender is decreased when taking the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

• One Man Fastbreak

A player known for his ability to take the ball coast to coast on a fastbreak. Speed, Quickness and Ball-Handling attributes are boosted 6 points if this player takes the ball from one end of the court to another on a fastbreak following a change of possession.

• Pick Dodger

A player that does not get caught up on screens very easily. He counters the Brick Wall Signature Skill, and when hitting a screen set by a regular player, the screen often fails to be effective.

• Tenacious Rebounder

This player is known for his relentlessness when going for rebounds. During rebound situations, he receives up to a 50% increase in winning boxout battles and poking balls loose on rebounds.

• Flashy Passer

This player is known for accurate flashy passes. When throwing a flashy pass, the penalty enforced will be reduced by up to 60%.

• Screen Outlet

A player who excels as the receiver in the pick & roll / pop game. If this player shoots immediately following a screen he set, he receives up to a 4 point boost to his shooting attribute.

• Pick & Roll Maestro

A ball-handler who excels at orchestrating the pick & roll. As the point man in a pick & roll, immediately following a screen this player receives a 3 point boost to his shooting attribute and is more accurate than most when passing to the screener.

NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 LD2k @ 09/03/13 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatos94
WOW I can't believe 2k!

7 new Sig Skills introduced and not one of them is a defensive skill! But they sure went ahead and added 2 of the same skills to encourage more cherry picking and fast breaking.

No defensive skill that raises your defensive abilities in the 4th quarter but we have 2 offensive skills that do that SMH! 2k14 is gonna be another cheese fest smdh.
No.

And they've balanced out all the previous signature skills returning from last year when I spoke with the dev's.

# 102 Boilerbuzz @ 09/03/13 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatos94
WOW I can't believe 2k!

7 new Sig Skills introduced and not one of them is a defensive skill! But they sure went ahead and added 2 of the same skills to encourage more cherry picking and fast breaking.

No defensive skill that raises your defensive abilities in the 4th quarter but we have 2 offensive skills that do that SMH! 2k14 is gonna be another cheese fest smdh.
Well, Pick Dodger is defensive and the Rebounder skill isn't just offensive. But I hear what you're saying. I would like to have seen more defensive skills.

# 103 yungsta404 @ 09/03/13 10:32 PM
I hate signature skills. the only way I can justify have sig skills is if they significantly lower the offense effectiveness to a realistic setting so you really can distinguish the difference between guys with sig skills and guys without sig skills.

Why have posterizer when most players can dunk in traffic with no problem?
Why have an oop sig skill when almost everyone can throw from damn near half court?
Why have finisher sig skill when guys like reggie evans can finish in traffic layups even though he struggles to make point blank layups in real life.

Adding sig skills without lowering the overall effectiveness of the offense just gives guys superman like abilities.

# 104 Eman5805 @ 09/03/13 11:20 PM
Trying to think of more defensive sig skills you can have. Blocked shots, we have two. Have a couple for on ball and off ball defense, though not directly. And one directly if I'm to assume Pick Dodger also applies to off ball screens as well.

A deflection sig skill? Quick Hands? Is that already a thing?

Already have ones for forcing charges. Pick pocket for steals. Second Jumper as an overall sig skill that applies to offense and defense? Player can recover from one jump for a block or rebound and bounce back up quicker than other people? I dunno.

Brainstorming here...

# 105 yungsta404 @ 09/03/13 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Trying to think of more defensive sig skills you can have. Blocked shots, we have two. Have a couple for on ball and off ball defense, though not directly. And one directly if I'm to assume Pick Dodger also applies to off ball screens as well.

A deflection sig skill? Quick Hands? Is that already a thing?

Already have ones for forcing charges. Pick pocket for steals. Second Jumper as an overall sig skill that applies to offense and defense? Player can recover from one jump for a block or rebound and bounce back up quicker than other people? I dunno.

Brainstorming here...
How about this

Intimidator - Known for intimidating players from attacking the rim. ( Larry Sanders, Dwight Howard, etc....)
Lowers the shooting percentage when contesting shots around the rim 15% more than those without it. (To combat those with the finisher sig skill)

I can think of some flat out ridiculous ones for defense since they have ones for offense.

# 106 stillfeelme @ 09/04/13 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsta404
How about this

Intimidator - Known for intimidating players from attacking the rim. ( Larry Sanders, Dwight Howard, etc....)
Lowers the shooting percentage when contesting shots around the rim 15% more than those without it. (To combat those with the finisher sig skill)

I can think of some flat out ridiculous ones for defense since they have ones for offense.
Actually this is a good one. They could actually use real stats to justify something like this.

# 107 yungsta404 @ 09/04/13 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Actually this is a good one. They could actually use real stats to justify something like this.
yea there are ton of statistics on interior defense. a guy did a whole report on it.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com...0the%20NBA.pdf

too bad 2k doesnt look into stuff like this.

# 108 stillfeelme @ 09/04/13 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOYS3
I like the idea of an Intimidator skill

Another possibility is that it could disable signature skills whenever he's in position to contest an Inside or Close shot. This would basically make Intimidator the paint equivalent of Lockdown Defender.

Imagine LeBron blowing past Paul George...regaining his Finisher skill for a split second...then losing it again once Hibbert steps up. Nice little insurance policy.
Great article was posted. STATS actually helped them with that. It shows that contesting with a great defender is sometimes about blocking but pressence also.

I think they should use this as an actual rating, to get it right across the board but maybe a sig skill would help. They need like an interior contest rating. Post defense seems to apply to how well post moves work on you in conjuction with strength.

# 109 Sundown @ 09/05/13 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com

I think a good step which probably have already thought of is "team" signature skills like:

1. Home court defender
2. Road win stealer
3. Stingy defense
4. Glass cleaners
5. Only plays in the fourth quarter

Stuff like that which might be more team oriented to bring more balance.

You could even extend that to arenas with great home courts and stuff as well as coaches too.

And how about some negative sigs like chokes under pressure at the line lol.
I'm not sure I like all of the team sig skills here-- a team is made up of its players and takes on their identity (and I guess vice versa). What happens if Hibbert and George get traded? Is that team still a defensive team?

I guess it sort of works if you make it a coaching sig skill.

I do like team chemistry and arena based skills though--

"Resilient Comebacks" -- Negative momentum will reduce much quicker after successful plays when down 10+ points until team is within 5 points. But I do wonder if this is better implemented as a player sig skill. Often leaders lead teams to a comeback by keeping their heads. Jarrett Jack for instance.

"Mile High" -- For Denver and Utah, where fatigue due to altitude hits teams without the sig skill harder than normal.

"Raucaus Crowd" -- All positive momentum boosts are increased at home. All negative momentum boosts are reduced. The inverse applies to the away team. Oracle and OKC crowds for instance.

And if you they implement normal home court advantage in general:

Slight increase in fatigue for away team. Increased momentum boosts/decreased momentum penalties for home team. Inverse for away team. Stacks with Raucaus Crowd.

Then you can add the following:

"Road Warriors" -- reduces away team momentum penalties when on the road.

# 110 poiszg @ 09/06/13 08:03 PM
I hate how in Association bench players like Manu GInoboli, Jamaal Crawford, and Jason Terry are always complaining if they arent starting when in real life they aren't. How about a sig skill like Bench Stud where they increase the awareness of their teammates for a certain amount of time the first time they are subbed in. Also, those with this skill, would rather be in the Sixth Man role rather than be a starter.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.