Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

It appears, on the surface at least, fans are no longer happy with the Madden status quo.

EA Sports reported sales of just over 1 million copies of Madden in its first week on store shelves. While EA was touting the success of Madden NFL 25, those sales numbers are down significantly from last year's number of 1.65 million in the same time span, a nearly 40% drop in sales.

The obvious culprit does seem to be many gamers are holding out for next-gen Madden, which makes a lot of sense. However, with incentive programs to upgrade to the next-gen game around and being touted by EA, it also does seem a large chunk of consumers simply are tired of Madden's current form and waiting for something new.

This puts even more pressure on the next-gen product to deliver a new and unique experience to the series, as fans are likely looking for that with the new game. However, for a year at least, it is likely the next-gen version of Madden will be a huge seller when the new consoles hit store shelves in mid to late November.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 boomhauertjs @ 09/06/13 10:54 AM
The less than stellar reviews probably didn't help matters.

# 2 Rufio2031 @ 09/06/13 10:57 AM
YESS!!!! Boycott, successful. Good job team!

# 3 juicey79 @ 09/06/13 10:58 AM
I am so happy about this maybe the NFL will open the brand up to other developers. So happy folks didn't get caught up in the EA hype machine.

# 4 Dos_Santos @ 09/06/13 10:59 AM
Great news.

Just too bad there were Sunday Ticket and $45 trade in promotions or the numbers would have been much, much worse.

# 5 friscob @ 09/06/13 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Santos
Great news.

Just too bad there were Sunday Ticket and $45 trade in promotions or the numbers would have been much, much worse.
Sunday Ticket definitely helped sell a lot of copies of games that instantly got put on Craigslist and Ebay b/c the people wanted nothing to do w/ the actual game

# 6 buckeyedawgtribe @ 09/06/13 11:13 AM
Would love to see 2K get back in the game. Madden 25 could be a good game if I didnt feel so underpowered on defense. Presentation is still bad. Owner mode is addicting. I just hope they dont give up on this game and not release some patches to fix the issues. I have no plans to get a next gen system until the spring and by then I wont be playing Madden.

# 7 chi_hawks @ 09/06/13 11:14 AM
Good. A million is still way too many.

# 8 atc43 @ 09/06/13 11:20 AM
Oh lord....

Cant imagine what sales would have looked like without the season ticket offer...

# 9 ccoaxum @ 09/06/13 11:37 AM
i dont see the big deal since most ppl didn't buy the game cause they planned on getting it on the next gen..but i would consider a big deal if next gen wasn't coming out in 2months since it is..then it is no point of talking about the numbers because any smart person already knew that was going to happen with current gen games period.

# 10 mva5580 @ 09/06/13 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
i dont see the big deal since most ppl didn't buy the game cause they planned on getting it on the next gen..but i would consider a big deal if next gen wasn't coming out in 2months since it is..then it is no point of talking about the numbers because any smart person already knew that was going to happen with current gen games period.
Agreed, pretty humorous to see people actually thinking that this matters.

Now if Madden 2015 sales are down significantly on the PS4/Xbox One release, then it's something worth talking about. But this means absolutely nothing. People making something out of nothing, as usual.

# 11 Mauer4MVP @ 09/06/13 11:43 AM
Like someone else said, I am sure a big hit is due to the new systems.

While I do hope that there is another NFL game that gets made eventually, I am enjoying this game.

# 12 roll2tide @ 09/06/13 11:49 AM
Truth is that we have no idea why 650,000 fewer people bought M25 this year as compared to last. I'm sure some are waiting for NextGen but IIRC when the 360 came out most people bought BOTH. I don't recall there being a big sales drop off for original xbox at that time.

I've been wondering about this for weeks. The forums seemed awfully slow to me for August/September and I've been wondering why. IMHO, if NextGen M25 doesn't just blow people away then it will be 2 consecutive platform launches where EA failed to impress. The 1st Madden on 360 was one of the worst ever.

# 13 StayPlation82 @ 09/06/13 11:50 AM
I'm laughing at these posts but the numbers don't lie I guess.

# 14 Mauer4MVP @ 09/06/13 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
Truth is that we have no idea why 650,000 fewer people bought M25 this year as compared to last. I'm sure some are waiting for NextGen but IIRC when the 360 came out most people bought BOTH. I don't recall there being a big sales drop off for original xbox at that time.

I've been wondering about this for weeks. The forums seemed awfully slow to me for August/September and I've been wondering why. IMHO, if NextGen M25 doesn't just blow people away then it will be 2 consecutive platform launches where EA failed to impress. The 1st Madden on 360 was one of the worst ever.
There wasn't a huge drop off, but that was a different time and era. That system was only out for 4 years. A lot of people may have thought why give up so soon? Madden 06's numbers first week were 1.7 million.

That was also coming off of the best Madden of all-time, though. And the first year without competition.

# 15 tfctillidie @ 09/06/13 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWfan206
A lot of people are waiting for next gen. I am sure that plays a role. I have a few friends who passed up on this gen meadden cause they are waiting on the one dropping for PS4 and Xbox1
Is this really true though?

I mean, how many next gen consoles are going to be in North American homes this winter? A couple million?

Are they all going to be Madden owners? I don't know about that.

# 16 swanlee @ 09/06/13 12:46 PM
I'm waiting for Next gen Madden, I could not bring me to play another version of current gen Madden if you payed me. So board with the same gameplay mechanics, same issues, same graphics etc.

Really wish the Exclusive thing would die so I could at least alternate NFL games every other year.

When the hell are we going to see more of next gen Madden?

# 17 BigDaddyHolmes @ 09/06/13 12:53 PM
I didn't buy it, because Madden 12 is a better game IMO. Physics would be a awesome feature if they worked and looked right, but Madden 25 looks weird in motion to me. Madden 12 is a much more complete game on the field to me, so why spend money on 25?

The only good things I can say about Madden 25 over 12 is pass traject(and I have madden 13 if I have to have this), better looking grass(only matters to some), and ball hawk. Maybe the zoom camera is better, but no big deal as Madden 12's is playable too.

What I find interesting is I could snap a photo of a Madden 12 replay zoomed in close, and you would think it was next gen graphics. Shiny helmets with fleck, reflected mirror like visors(just like next gen showed off with Vick), and just a great look to it IMO. Was really close to the next gen photo's EA released(specially if it had 1080p resolution).The only thing bad with Madden 12 visually was the grass with many stadiums. Gameplay wise, it isn't even close. Madden 12 plays a much more competitive game. Everything feels more polished to me, and you don't see as much last minute speed adjusting by the cpu. It just looks nice. It was on it's way to becoming a great game.

Madden 12 is the best NFL game this generation IMO.

# 18 Hunkerdown @ 09/06/13 12:56 PM
This probably means pre-ordered xbones will come with digital version of madden for free, to help them skew the numbers even more.

# 19 WhiteCollarTix @ 09/06/13 01:02 PM
For those saying that the drop in numbers is due to next-gen being right around the corner, do you think that Call Of Duty Ghosts will suffer the same fate? I think not. Facts are facts, people are fed up with Madden.

# 20 KGkaos @ 09/06/13 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
This probably means pre-ordered xbones will come with digital version of madden for free, to help them skew the numbers even more.
I'm glad I'm getting a PS3 :P

Also, good news in general. This company needs to go belly under for us to have a good football game. Didn't buy it for the first time ever, glad to see others are on the same page.

For the record, I LOVE football as most of you do too. However, i didn't pass on the game because I wanted to wait for next gen, I passed because it sucked. I assume most people who didnt buy are in the same boat (aircraft carrier) I am in. I struggled not to buy it, and being a hardcore football fan just shows how much this game sucks. I won't even buy it for the next gen incentive and I'm forcing myself to wait months in the hopes next gen is playable. So yeah, the people who didnt buy, didnt buy because it's trash.

« Previous12345678910Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.