Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

EA Sports has released a couple of facial scans for Kyrie Irving in NBA Live 14 (thanks for the heads up MarkWilliam). It looks like they captured Kemba Walker, Brandon Jennings, Greivis Vásquez and Kent Bazemore during the Under Armour Elite 24 that EA Sports sponsored.

It will be interesting to find out how many other players they will be able to capture before release. The NBA Live 14 team promised to show us some 5 on 5 gamplay this summer.

TIME IS TICKING...

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 24ct @ 09/08/13 09:12 PM
EA has never had a problem with their graphics. Those textures look incredible compared to the competition.

If EA gets player movement/control/motion correct this time, I'll be purchasing 2 hoops games. The gameplay is the only thing stoping EA from competiting. If players don't move like robots this game should be good for next gen sports.

# 42 iverson_2k @ 09/09/13 01:31 PM
Well I know of at least two people who played the demo at E3 and they said the game looks nothing like De'Andre Jordan CGI trailer they showed. They said the graphics would make you do a double take. Also, they said the gameplay is extremely smooth. However, this was the same demo where they show Kyrie just dribbling the ball behind Scott O'Brien while Mike Conley interviewed him. Not sure how it will play when its 5 vs. 5. But the game seems to be moving in the right direction.

# 43 Da_Czar @ 09/09/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
EA has never had a problem with their graphics.
I think the claymation of live 08 and 09 and the bad player models and over shine of live 10 would disagree with you. Their best looking gen 3 games were also the worst in animation with live 06 and 07.

The screen shots look dope. If you notice there is a different haircut or at least different shapeup between the two pics. Since they are talking about updating accessories and haircuts maybe they were showing how minimal the differences can be ? IDK all I know is it looks good.

Also looking forward to EA's take on menus' It may seem small but I have always loved what they do with their logos in their menu's etc. Just having a fresh take on things means I'm getting live no matter what. Just to see what's new and fresh.

# 44 BiggD @ 09/09/13 07:23 PM
I've seen this movie before and I don't like the way it ends :-(

# 45 nick_sr @ 09/09/13 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopin
So did EA. Hence the original post: Why is everyone up in arms over EA not releasing anything yet, but 2k gets a free pass?
another great post!

# 46 WTF @ 09/09/13 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdribbles25
Asinine is unnecessarily harsh. As you said to each his own. To say there is nothing to gain is again your sole opinion. With the failings of the previous two releases they need to gain my willingness to embrace the product.?

2k doesn't need to do this because of the track record. Live could have released some footage without "flooding" us with it. At present time I have only marginal thoughts that say this will be remotely competitive. They could have certainly created some positive buzz and momentum with some legitimate footage.

Would it matter now vs closer to release. Sure. Right now I'm planning on the games I will buy at launch and have actually pres ordered a couple. Live is not on my list to purchase. However some footage might have an impact. It doesn't have to get stale. Just give us somethin!
I said asinine in my eyes. I didn't say "it's asinine". That's a harsh statement. That's judging everyone else's opinion. I'm saying that in my opinion, they have nothing to gain. You say you won't buy it even if they come out 1 week before release and show you a game that is a great simulation? Do they need to go forth and show their cards just because? I don't think so. You do.

Regardless, whenever they release info, I'll be here to watch it. If it warrants a purchase based on when they release the information, I'll buy it. It's as easy as that.

If they release information today that says "purchase me", it doesn't increase my desire to buy it. To be honest, my excitement would probably be curtailed by seeing some 2k information a little closer to time.

I want 2 basketball games to provide a good experience.

2k hasn't showed anything on next gen either. So basing your decision to purchase on next gen, based on their last gen performance I think is nearly equally as tough, unless they say the gameplay is a port. Yes they've released some good games, but then again, so had Live04 & 05 on xbox/ps2 prior to the 360 release of the new engine, and we all saw how that worked out for them.

Asinine in my eyes, I've been down this road before, I don't need fancy videos 2 months before release, show me some good information closer to release, and I'm good.

# 47 24ct @ 09/10/13 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I think the claymation of live 08 and 09 and the bad player models and over shine of live 10 would disagree with you. Their best looking gen 3 games were also the worst in animation with live 06 and 07.

The screen shots look dope. If you notice there is a different haircut or at least different shapeup between the two pics. Since they are talking about updating accessories and haircuts maybe they were showing how minimal the differences can be ? IDK all I know is it looks good.

Also looking forward to EA's take on menus' It may seem small but I have always loved what they do with their logos in their menu's etc. Just having a fresh take on things means I'm getting live no matter what. Just to see what's new and fresh.
Good point.

I really was generalizing all EA games. Most of their games LOOK REALLY good. They don't always play as good as they look, but since next gen, I've been a fan of EA graphics over the basketball competion. Some versions were worse, but overall I'll give the PS3/360 graphics nod to EA. You're right about the animation of Live, but 2k graphics have a wierd comic book/cartoonish feel to them.

Combine 2K animation with EA textures and you'd have the perfect look and feel of basketball.

# 48 Sundown @ 09/10/13 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
What about 2k's next gen info and realtime 5vs5. It's sickening how biased os is to 2k.

Is 5vs5 really going to change anyone's biased opinions? 90% of us have already made our decision on games that aren't even out yet and i doubt 5vs5 will change that.

Can't wait for all the nit picking and hate when they do release gameplay.
The only bias for 2k is because we already know 2k's 5v5 will be solid at the minimum. It's been the best basketball game year to year for the last decade and the only year it may have been tied 2k's Mike Wang was at the helm of Live.

So worst case, next gen 2k will be a very good title enhanced with next gen graphics.

Live's worst case could be pretty bad. It's best case probably won't rival 2K's worst case this year but will be something to build on going forward.

Anyway, face scanning looks great. The models look a little plasticky compared to 2k but might also have more detail. What we need to see are the bodies, and so far the previews aren't impressive. Deandre Jordan doesn't look like Deandre Jordan. It looks like the actual dismembered head of Deandre Jordan sewed onto a sock puppet.

# 49 k1lo5 @ 09/10/13 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
The only bias for 2k is because we already know 2k's 5v5 will be solid at the minimum. It's been the best basketball game year to year for the last decade and the only year it may have been tied 2k's Mike Wang was at the helm of Live.

So worst case, next gen 2k will be a very good title enhanced with next gen graphics.

Live's worst case could be pretty bad. It's best case probably won't rival 2K's worst case this year but will be something to build on going forward.

Anyway, face scanning looks great. The models look a little plasticky compared to 2k but might also have more detail. What we need to see are the bodies, and so far the previews aren't impressive. It looks like real people's heads stuck on a sock puppet.
Agree with you Sundown. Competition between Live and 2k will only benefit us the consumers. Let's hope Live comes out and is good.

# 50 Sundown @ 09/10/13 10:29 PM
Quote:
So did EA. Hence the original post: Why is everyone up in arms over EA not releasing anything yet, but 2k gets a free pass?
2K already released next gen game engine footage 2 months ago. And what little there was looked phenomenal.

# 51 TUSS11 @ 09/10/13 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by younggoku
It's really not that hard to understand, it's easier to trust someone who has put out a solid product year after year as opposed to someone who has been known to struggle and had to skip years due to having an unfinished product. And that's really a big leap to think because madden turned into such a disappointment on completely different consoles that somehow 2k will make the same mistake.

Especially seeing as how 2k released a gameplay vid of ingame pre alpha footage months back that people were raving about something that madden didn't do. Not to mention how devs are raving about how easy these new consoles are to develop for.
I think you're simplifying it a bit too much. Live has a new development team with a new lead, working with new technology in a new city. The truth of the matter is, we have no idea how the game will turn out. Until we see the game in action (5 vs. 5), all of our speculations are baseless.

# 52 Sundown @ 09/10/13 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
I think you're simplifying it a bit too much. Live has a new development team with a new lead, working with new technology in a new city.
This was also true about their last two (non) releases.

And it was the focus on "new technology" over solid basketball that tanked the franchise.

EA and Live don't get a free pass in the minds of people just because they started over yet again. In fact that should be cause for concern. The monkey will be off their back only when they actually release a solid game. Until then all skepticism is completely justified.

# 53 TUSS11 @ 09/10/13 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
This was also true about their last two (non) releases.

And it was the focus on "new technology" over solid basketball that tanked the franchise.

EA and Live don't get a free pass in the minds of people just because they started over yet again. In fact that should be cause for concern. The monkey will be off their back only when they actually release a solid game. Until then all skepticism is completely justified.
Ahh, none of that stuff even matters. The only thing that matters is what EA brings to the table on release day. I don't even know what caused me to respond to his post. We could spend all day debating whether our optimism/pessimism is justifiable. But it would accomplish nothing.

I think I'll lay low until they give us something substantial to chew on. There's no point in worrying how others pass the time.

# 54 skinnybonez @ 09/10/13 11:26 PM
Live Kyrie in 2k...

# 55 iverson_2k @ 09/11/13 01:06 AM
That doesn't even look like him. The face is all off. Looks like a create-a-player. No offense.

# 56 Sundown @ 09/11/13 08:50 AM
Quote:
EA released a trailer with Kyrie Irving. So what's the difference?
The Kyrie "demo" doesn't show the in-game rendering and animation engine and was just pre-generated renders that isn't representative of how the game will actually animate and look.

That's all the difference in the world.

Plus it looked significantly worse.

Seriously, what's more likely, that 2K's game looks more like their in-game engine trailer or Live's their pre-generated "demo" that's just an extended motion capture sequence rather than the actual interactive tech they're advertising?

# 57 Sundown @ 09/11/13 09:08 AM
Yes, the finish and sheen on Live's characters are slightly plasticky. 2K's
skin reflections look slightly more
real and understated, but Live's
scanned heads carry a bit more detail. The mild plastic sheen in Live is nothing egregious but 2K's next gen trailer shows strikingly realistic skin reflections for bald players.

Both games should look good to great as far as heads go with different strengths. I'm personally a big fan of realistic lighting and reflections so I lean towards 2K as far as what they've shown goes.

# 58 Sundown @ 09/11/13 09:29 AM
Quote:
Honestly, I know how 2k plays, and in my experience, it never plays as smooth as they make their trailers look.
I agree. But at least it plays and plays well. Elite/Live's trailers have looked terrible and played worse the last three years. I'm familiar enough with 2K's selective trailer edits to know how to translate what I see to what it will probably look and play like. I'm pretty satisfied if its basically 2K gameplay with much better next-gen models.

I'm also familiar with Live's tendency to use pregenerated renders in hopes of confusing people into thinking its representative of gameplay. The renders don't usually look that great and the actual gameplay usually looks worse.

# 59 Boilerbuzz @ 09/11/13 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson_2k
That doesn't even look like him. The face is all off. Looks like a create-a-player. No offense.
Wait. So you're saying an actual SCAN OF HIS FACE, doesn't look like him? What has this world coming to. I snicker when people say mocapped animations don't look real. Granted, there is error in every process. That includes face scans and mocap. But good LORD, if those processes don't look good enough for you, not even the REAL Kyrie would seem to satisfy some of you.

The render looks great. I do question why they look different side by side. With that being said, I have 0% worry that Live will not look good. That has never really been the problem with Live in my opinion.

Nay sayers and fanboys all need to settle down. We still have NO answers to any of the questions that people care about. Until then, both sides have equal justification.

# 60 Boilerbuzz @ 09/11/13 09:21 PM
Quote:
Honestly, I know how 2k plays, and in my experience, it never plays as smooth as they make their trailers look.
You can say that about every single game that has ever been made.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.