Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Game Informer has posted their hands-on preview of NBA 2K14, as Matt Bertz lists 25 things you need to know about the game, which includes gameplay, presentation, online and association mode details.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/06/13 12:26 PM
Some really good things in here.

Quote:
With the basketball season only a month away, we sat down with Visual Concepts to talk about the new features coming to its hit basketball series.
In addition to getting my hands on the current-generation version of NBA 2K14, we chatted with Visual Concepts executive vice president Jeff Brown and producer Rob Jones about the changes coming to presentation, gameplay, online, and Association mode.

Here is what we found out:

PRESENTATION
  • The best-in-class commentary isn't resting on its laurels. Visual Concepts says it has a huge amount of new lines that provide analysis and backstory in much more detail. "We have also made a lot of improvements to track dialogue and ensure that repetition of stories and common lines are limited, and it makes room for fresh angles of play-by-play and analysis," says executive vice president Jeff Thomas.
  • NBA 2K14 has two new stat overlays called "Scoring Breakdown" and "Hustle Stats" that track points off penetration, points off mid-range jumpers, points off fast break, points off assists, points off post plays, and second chance points.
  • To freshen up the arena experience, Visual Concepts has added more than 500 customized arena beats and music.
  • You should also notice major enhancements to the crowd reactions and the dynamic range of the ambience in the arenas," Thomas says."We've added more detailed event controls and reactions, which allowed us to provide a much more immersive and realistic crowd that keeps up with the action on the court."
GAMEPLAY
  • Last year the studio overhauled its right analog stick control by migrating the dribbling moves to the stick and hiding the shot stick options behind a left trigger modifier. In the quest to make the controls as intuitive as possible, NBA 2K14 removes the need of holding a modifier button to take a shot.
  • With this newly dubbed Pro Stick controls, the full suite of dribbling moves are still at your disposal just like last year, but if you hold the thumbstick in a particular direction it activates the shot stick. It takes a few games to learn the boundaries between shooting and dribbling, but after fooling around with a player in practice mode I grew more comfortable with this approach. I'm curious to see if this leads to accidental shots in the heat of the moment, however.
  • Holding down the left trigger now activates a suite of flashy no-look and bounce passes for skilled point guards like Chris Paul and Ricky Rubio. Simply push the direction of the player you want to pass to on the right analog stick while holding down the trigger and your skilled point guard will deliver a stylish dish worthy of a highlight reel. If you try using the Pass Stick with a less-talented passer don't expect the same results.
  • On the defensive side of the ball Visual Concepts added a deny system that improves player positioning as well as ride and holding. If you really want to stay between a player and the ball as he moves through the key you can hold the left trigger, which makes your defender really get up on top of him.
  • The "call for pick and roll" button has moved from the left bumper back to the B/circle button, where it started a long time ago.
  • While researching player data, Visual Concepts discovered many of its users aren't using the play system. Since plays allow you to be more successful, the developers wanted to expose them in a new way. In NBA 2K14, pressing the left bumper automatically selects a new play for you to run. If you want to page through play options, you can still do this with the d-pad.
  • In previous NBA 2K games, plays were normally run off of scripts. Veteran users could often see the play unfold early, anticipate what a player is trying to do, and take it away before it developed. The AI within the play system now has options and picks the right one based off what the user is doing. For example, if Ray Allen is supposed to curl off a double screen and you go over the top of that screen to try and intercept the pass, he'll either flare lower to get open or cut back door on you.
  • NBA 2K games never previously had a good system for rotating off pick and rolls. This year the dev team met with an unnamed coach to create a rotation system that reacts differently if a player is driving either strong side or weak side and pays more attention to the roller. Now defense helps to the guy that's rolling, not to the ball. This should open up the drive and kick game.
  • NBA 2K14 features a reworked blocking system that allows defenders to choose where to swat the ball instead of just going for the first place the defender's hand could intercept the ball. This allows players who perfectly time their blocks to deny dunks.
  • The defending animations feature a renewed sense of urgency, and overall the game feels much faster than NBA 2K13.
  • The team re-wrote the logic behind how the AI attacks the rim. If you're playing against aggressive players like Heat stars LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, you should notice how determined they are to get to the basket.
ASSOCIATION MODE
  • This year's big push with the Association mode centers on re-tuning free agency. Visual Concepts reworked the player logic so they have a keener understanding of the market when deciding whether to re-up with their current franchise or test the waters in free agency. As a result, you should see many more players hitting the open market.
  • Because more players are available during the free agency period, teams more actively plan by trying to clear cap space.
  • The player rotations have been rebuilt to take into account recent performances. Shooters with hot hands see their minutes increase, and slumping players spend more time on the bench.
  • Don't expect star players to start posting big numbers on the road to recovery after experiencing a significant injury. Players coming back from serious physical setbacks are now eased back into the lineup while they recover their stamina and durability.
  • As Visual Concepts previously revealed, Crews are coming back in a big way for the current-generation version of NBA 2K14. Using your My Player, you can compete in five-on-five pick-up games with nine other humans online.
  • Crews features season and playoff modes with full leaderboards and stat tracking. You earn VC for participating in these online match-ups just like you do with offline games.
  • My Team mode returns with new player modes, plus multi- and single-player tournaments. You can also play with friends this year.
  • In My Player mode you can play through NBA team schedules for prizes that increase in value the further into the season you play.
  • To spice up the action, Visual Concepts added a fourth tier of special reward players (sapphire) to go along with the bronze, silver, and gold levels.
  • Players can name their city and abbreviation for their My Teams, and Visual Concepts is also including logo cards.
NBA 2K14 is coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on October 1. A next-gen version touting additional features is expected to launch day and date with both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

# 2 VDusen04 @ 09/06/13 12:34 PM
Quote:
You should also notice major enhancements to the crowd reactions and the dynamic range of the ambiance in the arenas," Thomas says."We've added more detailed event controls and reactions, which allowed us to provide a much more immersive and realistic crowd that keeps up with the action on the court."
I feel as though we hear that every year, or some variation of it anyway. That said, I am hopeful the crowd response has truly turned a corner. As others have said, that's something NBA Live really seemed to nail prior to their meltdown.

Quote:
While researching player data, Visual Concepts discovered many of its users aren't using the play system. Since plays allow you to be more successful, the developers wanted to expose them in a new way. In NBA 2K14, pressing the left bumper automatically selects a new play for you to run. If you want to page through play options, you can still do this with the d-pad.
I'm still not sure how I feel about Visual Concepts using player data as a sole basis for gameplay alterations. I'd have to think they can read between the lines on this one. I do not believe it's a button issue that leads folks to not call plays. Rather, I think a lot of gamers (in particular online head-to-head folks) just do not have the patience or will to run plays. Or perhaps it's been deemed more effective to go play-less in scrambling human vs. human games.

Furthermore, I found the plays in 2K13 to be a lot less responsive than they were in previous 2K's. So in that regard, I ran less plays against the computer than I did in years past. Again, it wasn't because I didn't understand how to access them or found it too difficult to find them, but because they were often stunted and broke with relative frequency.

Quote:
NBA 2K14 features a reworked blocking system that allows defenders to choose where to swat the ball instead of just going for the first place the defender's hand could intercept the ball. This allows players who perfectly time their blocks to deny dunks.
I do not understand the quote above. Could someone be of assistance there?

Quote:
The team re-wrote the logic behind how the AI attacks the rim. If you're playing against aggressive players like Heat stars LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, you should notice how determined they are to get to the basket.
I will be interested to see the result of this logic. If the defense is as improved as it's touted to be, this could be a nice addition. However, in 2K13, when computer players (or human players for that matter) decided to be aggressive and get to the hole, they seemed to plow until something opened up. I have unfortunate memories of beating a ballhandler to a spot, having him make contact with me (kind of), running in place against my body, then sliding past me into a wide open paint.

Quote:
This year's big push with the Association mode centers on re-tuning free agency. Visual Concepts reworked the player logic so they have a keener understanding of the market when deciding whether to re-up with their current franchise or test the waters in free agency. As a result, you should see many more players hitting the open market.
I am not sure these were the sweeping upgrades for which Association folks were holding out.

Even though I will not be acquiring a next generation system any time in the near future, I find myself curious as to what 2K may reveal for that platform, because for the first time on the current generation, I am wholly underwhelmed by what 2K is bringing to the table this year. Perhaps, instead of being built up and let down (as I was with 2K13), maybe 2K14 will surprise me once it's in my hands.

# 3 TheLetterZ @ 09/06/13 12:34 PM
"NBA 2K games never previously had a good system for rotating off pick and rolls. This year the dev team met with an unnamed coach to create a rotation system that reacts differently if a player is driving either strong side or weak side and pays more attention to the roller. Now defense helps to the guy that's rolling, not to the ball. This should open up the drive and kick game."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 4 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/06/13 12:39 PM
Well one reason I couldn't get PnRs to work is they switched the button to B... so with that, there is no more B for spin dunking.

I know who the coach they brought in is, but cannot say. Lets just say that... if you have been on OS for the past year, you also know who it is.

# 5 VDusen04 @ 09/06/13 12:44 PM
Also, as always, I was hoping for at least one small tidbit that said something like, "2K has subtly slipped three new classic teams into the mix."

Alas, no dice.

# 6 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/06/13 12:44 PM
@Vdusen - they are getting at the new blocking system, which calculates multiple block points instead of 1.

Quote:
LD2K - I should also note this is a brand new system implemented this year. Not just more blocking - but a brand new system in which you can block different shots at different points of the offensive players' dunks/shots.

# 7 poloelite @ 09/06/13 12:47 PM
I hope Association will see more love than this:

ASSOCIATION MODE
  • This year's big push with the Association mode centers on re-tuning free agency. Visual Concepts reworked the player logic so they have a keener understanding of the market when deciding whether to re-up with their current franchise or test the waters in free agency. As a result, you should see many more players hitting the open market.
  • Because more players are available during the free agency period, teams more actively plan by trying to clear cap space.
  • The player rotations have been rebuilt to take into account recent performances. Shooters with hot hands see their minutes increase, and slumping players spend more time on the bench.
  • Don't expect star players to start posting big numbers on the road to recovery after experiencing a significant injury. Players coming back from serious physical setbacks are now eased back into the lineup while they recover their stamina and durability.
I'm ready to see a new presentation (GM's office at practice facility maybe), real training camps that involve cuts and preseason games in alternate arenas, rivalry games with more significance, D-League coming back, injury recovery options (play through or have surgery to protect future), arena management (owner mode) and a reworked practice mode for your team similar to real life (set the time limit 5, 10 or 15 min and work on plays, shooting, defense etc for boosts). Just some thoughts from an Association lover

# 8 VDusen04 @ 09/06/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
@Vdusen - they are getting at the new blocking system, which calculates multiple block points instead of 1.
I was a little thrown off by the suggestion that the defender chooses where they want to block a shot. I'm still not sure I get that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
I'm ready to see a new presentation (GM's office at practice facility maybe), real training camps that involve cuts and preseason games in alternate arenas, rivalry games with more significance, D-League coming back, injury recovery options (play through or have surgery to protect future), arena management (owner mode) and a reworked practice mode for your team similar to real life (set the time limit 5, 10 or 15 min and work on plays, shooting, defense etc for boosts). Just some thoughts from an Association lover
That stuff sounds awesome. These are the kind of things I'm looking for from an NBA game. Those types of details take games to a higher level.

# 9 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/06/13 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I was a little thrown off by the suggestion that the defender chooses where they want to block a shot. I'm still not sure I get that part.
Will have to see how it works in gameplay, but in theory, it allows for multiple block points (windows?) so that its not just a single window somewhere in the animation that allows for a block.

# 10 Jrocc23 @ 09/06/13 12:54 PM
Enjoyed everything that was listed here. This is some good news. I definitely want to know more about this:

Quote:
Crews features season and playoff modes with full leaderboards and stat tracking. You earn VC for participating in these online match-ups just like you do with offline games.

# 11 stillfeelme @ 09/06/13 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
It wasn't clear but they make it sound like we are in control of the blocks. It would be nice if we could use right analog as your hands and jump as a combo. I don't think that is the case but that would be some real next gen controls. Like how you use hands up when defending regularly.

NBA 2K14 features a reworked blocking system that allows defenders to choose where to swat the ball instead of just going for the first place the defender's hand could intercept the ball. This allows players who perfectly time their blocks to deny dunks.

# 12 Eman5805 @ 09/06/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
In previous NBA 2K games, plays were normally run off of scripts. Veteran users could often see the play unfold early, anticipate what a player is trying to do, and take it away before it developed. The AI within the play system now has options and picks the right one based off what the user is doing. For example, if Ray Allen is supposed to curl off a double screen and you go over the top of that screen to try and intercept the pass, he'll either flare lower to get open or cut back door on you.
Very, very nice.

And the bit about easing players back into the fold after major injuries? Maybe it's just because of what we did with Eric Gordon, but I wonder if the coach they brought in was Monty Williams. And I'm sure they asked about more than just defensive rotations.

# 13 MAGboyswifT27 @ 09/06/13 01:23 PM
Nice!!! Looking forward to its release!

# 14 Gramps91 @ 09/06/13 01:24 PM
Those Association addition actually sound pretty cool. Especially the portion about slowly recovering from injuries. Nice I would like a bit more attention focused on it though in the future. It's just with what we learned previously I thought it would be exactly the same so I'm glad to see some change anyway.

# 15 whoreallycares16 @ 09/06/13 01:43 PM
In all honesty, it looks like another year of a clearly flawed and weak association mode. Disappointed.

# 16 jarod43 @ 09/06/13 01:45 PM
I'm giddy for nba 2k14, info sounds really good. October can't get here any quicker.

# 17 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/06/13 01:49 PM
Hopefully we will be able to do some of this PnR stuff... and the defense will be able to adjust properly.

# 18 MarkWilliam @ 09/06/13 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
"NBA 2K games never previously had a good system for rotating off pick and rolls. This year the dev team met with an unnamed coach to create a rotation system that reacts differently if a player is driving either strong side or weak side and pays more attention to the roller. Now defense helps to the guy that's rolling, not to the ball. This should open up the drive and kick game."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!!

Now if there is a second and third rotator forcing extra passing around the perimeter, I will be in basketball heaven!

# 19 Optik @ 09/06/13 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
Hopefully we will be able to do some of this PnR stuff... and the defense will be able to adjust properly.

LOL, that video just confirms that Coach Nick is the unnamed coach. I've been wanting 2K to use him for a minute. I've even tweeted the suggestion to him and posted a comment about it on one of his videos. A few weeks ago he was actually tweeting asking whether any of his followers played 2K, and he sent an email to those who replied and said that he wanted to in some way integrate 2K into his breakdowns.

# 20 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/06/13 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
LOL, that video just confirms that Coach Nick is the unnamed coach. I've been wanting 2K to use him for a minute. I've even tweeted the suggestion to him and posted a comment about it on one of his videos. A few weeks ago he was actually tweeting asking whether any of his followers played 2K, and he sent an email to those who replied and said that he wanted to in some way integrate 2K into his breakdowns.
I remember Coach Nick tweeting that stuff as well... at the time me and ASDD were speculating at if that meant anything.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.