Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Ronnie2K (New York Knicks) and LD2K (Los Angeles Lakers) played a full game of NBA 2K14 earlier today. If you missed the stream you can view it in the embedded video above, over at DmanUnt2014's YouTube page or click here to view it on Twitch. The game was played on Superstar/Sim.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 TreyIM2 @ 09/07/13 11:48 AM
Haven't had in depth 2K13 gameplay since Oct when my PS3 YLOD'd but I've played here and there at Best Buys up to as late as early this year but the eye test in watching this vid seems to make me believe the game looks and plays much smoother. I could be wrong but it was very apparent early on from the animations to the defense. PS3 and my stuck in system 2K13 are coming back on Tues from repair/replacement so I'll be diggin in again til 2K14 and can't wait til the next gen version.

That being said, the only real thing I hate about this vid is the graphics package they continue to use for the scoreboard and overlays. I hope they dump it for next gen with something better and TV slickness comparable.

# 102 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
Love your optimism lol.
Well it's not life or death, it's a video game, so it's pretty easy to be optimistic about something like this. I wish more folks felt this way, then there would be less whining about something that they don't own yet.

# 103 Deck @ 09/07/13 11:55 AM
LD2K just confirmed on the simNation that the 1-3-1 received the nerfbat.

# 104 Jrocc23 @ 09/07/13 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Well it's not life or death, it's a video game, so it's pretty easy to be optimistic about something like this. I wish more folks felt this way, then there would be less whining about something that they don't own yet.
Doubt anyone think its life or death. People just want better crowd reaction. We've been wanting this for the longest. Especially when we've seen NBA Live 10's atmosphere. It's about to be 2K14, so you would think the crowd would be going crazy and teammates interacting w/ each other on a game winner.

I'm glad more folks don't feel the same way as you. I think if everyone was optimistic like you, alot of stuff wouldn't get improved. They said this was close to final build, so I doubt they would fix the crowd before then or patch it in because its been bad for years. Don't have a problem w/ people complaining when it's their $60. As long as you're happy, should be good. I enjoyed what I saw, but the crowd still needs work based on this vid.

# 105 VDusen04 @ 09/07/13 12:18 PM
Quote:
Doubt anyone think its life or death. People just want better crowd reaction. We've been wanting this for the longest. Especially when we've seen NBA Live 10's atmosphere. It's about to be 2K14, so you would think the crowd would be going crazy and teammates interacting w/ each other on a game winner.

I'm glad more folks don't feel the same way as you. I think if everyone was optimistic like you, alot of stuff wouldn't get improved. They said this was close to final build, so I doubt they would fix the crowd before then or patch it in because its been bad for years. Don't have a problem w/ people complaining when it's their $60. As long as you're happy, should be good. I enjoyed what I saw, but the crowd still needs work based on this vid.
Truth, and the buzzer beaters and crowd reactions (or lack thereof) are kind of a microcosm as to why I'm interested in seeing what the next generation games hold (though I will not be purchasing a next generation system any time in the near future).

I'm ready to get back to experiencing the little things. It seems 2K was knocking that portion of the game out of the park for a while but it has tapered off a little bit in recent years. By little things, I do not mean super minuscule additions in lieu of bigger overhauls (i.e. "Now more people might go to free agency in Association!").

I feel like we used to have a "Little Things" thread every year that'd hover around the top of the forum for the duration of the game's run. Recently, I still see that thread, but we seem to burn through most of the observed uniqueness much earlier than we used to. Since it's clear this won't be happening on the current generation, I'd love to see things like this on the next gen:

-Wild, spazzing reactions and celebrations from a player and his teammates after he hits a buzzer beating, game-winning shot.
-Realistic crowd noise
-EA NHL-like crowd response (graphic-wise) where they jump in near unison on an important play (big shot, buzzer beater, etc.)
-Violations for crossing the baseline when attempting to defend an inbound pass
-Displacing or knocking over people, chairs, equipment when diving out of bounds
-A coach giving last second instruction to a player on the verge of checking in
-The actual removal of warmup pants/shirt with re-application in certain instances when checking back out
-An occasional fan half court attempt during time-outs (to go with other possible time-out entertainment)
-Players returning from serious knee injuries wearing a brace, at least temporarily
-In-game injuries where the game camera doesn't zoom out and pan uncomfortably to the player writhing on the court by himself while teammates and opponents just stare blankly in other directions

It's small and medium things like those mentioned above that can often make one game feel new in comparison to its previous effort alongside, well, not keeping just about everything the same in terms of appearance aside from some detailed gameplay upgrades.

# 106 MarvinOida @ 09/07/13 12:32 PM
Quote:
Maybe the crowd reaction will make it into the retail version or can be patched somehow.
It's not. You're going to have to lower the volume of a lot of things again, just like WWE 13. But WWE 2K14 had improvements in Crowd Reaction, its funny how NBA 2K doesn't get something like that.

I still hope the colors of jerseys and accessories can be adjusted in the retail version.

Tap Tap Tapatalking away from my iPhone

# 107 Deck @ 09/07/13 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
It's not. You're going to have to lower the volume of a lot of things again, just like WWE 13. But WWE 2K14 had improvements in Crowd Reaction, its funny how NBA 2K doesn't get something like that.

I still hope the colors of jerseys and accessories can be adjusted in the retail version.

My guess is we will have that on next gen. Current gen for me will be a skip for sure, even if I only get to play in mid March. I'll have to settle with GTA V

# 108 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 12:52 PM
Quote:

You are glad more people aren't optimistic? What should we be angry? Should we raid visual concepts headquarters and demand better? Please take your childish argument to the rest of the folks that complain as if 2k basketball hasn't dramatically improved over the last couple of years and from the videos this year is no exception.

If everyone were as optimistic as me the game wouldn't improve? Ridiculous. you make absolutely no sense but carry on.

# 109 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 12:58 PM
Quote:

Sure and you know this. LOL

# 110 MarvinOida @ 09/07/13 01:01 PM
Quote:
Sure and you know this. LOL
It's not. This involves audio files that if PC modders can't modify, then its something complex.

My rule of thumb is, If a PC modder can't mod something, then I believe its difficult. Maybe its just a very very very compressed file that can't really be amplified normally.

# 111 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 01:04 PM
Quote:
It's not. This involves audio files that if PC modders can't modify, then its something complex.

My rule of thumb is, If a PC modder can't mod something, then I believe its difficult. Maybe its just a very very very compressed file that can't really be amplified normally.

Well for the games sake I hope that you are wrong. It won't be a game killer for me if it stays the same but it would be nice to see it added. 2k seems to improve quite a bit every year, many good things to look forward to in this years addition. Crowd noise seems to be an issue in 2k games period.

# 112 Jrocc23 @ 09/07/13 01:04 PM
Quote:
You are glad more people aren't optimistic? What should we be angry? Should we raid visual concepts headquarters and demand better? Please take your childish argument to the rest of the folks that complain as if 2k hasn't improved for the last few years. You are part of the problem, complaining just to complain yet you will still purchase the game anyway. Wanting the game to improve is fine, joining a site just to complain over and over again about the same thing is just mindless. Have fun with that if it makes you feel any better. I chose to embrace the improvements, instead of acting like an infant when everything that I dream of is not in the game. Carry on.
You're that mad? No, I am not saying people should be angry, but I also don't think people should be optimistic and defend everything 2K is doing like you are. Like I said, I am happy with this game and where do you see me complaining just to complain? I am saying the crowd needs to be better, am I wrong? You up in here talking about, "Maybe it'll be in the retail version or can be patched." Are you serious? People have been asking for crowd improvements for the longest and you are up in here basically saying people shouldn't complain when it's their money?

Where do you see me just complaining to complain though? I am definitely buying the game because for one, I need my basketball every year, and I feel like the game has improved game play wise. Still needs to be improvements though. I don't see a problem w/ people complaining about Association, the crowd, Crew, etc. All you are doing is complaining about people complaining. All this talking you doing isn't going to fix anything, people are still going to complain and they have a right to. Like I said, as long as you're happy you shouldn't even be tripping. Everyone has their own issues with the game. You're up in here letting people get you mad because they are complaining. It's funny to me.

# 113 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 01:10 PM
Quote:
You're that mad? No, I am not saying people should be angry, but I also don't think people should be optimistic and defend everything 2K is doing like you are. Like I said, I am happy with this game and where do you see me complaining just to complain? I am saying the crowd needs to be better, am I wrong? You up in here talking about, "Maybe it'll be in the retail version or can be patched." Are you serious? People have been asking for crowd improvements for the longest and you are up in here basically saying people shouldn't complain when it's their money?

Where do you see me just complaining to complain though? I am definitely buying the game because for one, I need my basketball every year, and I feel like the game has improved game play wise. Still needs to be improvements though. I don't see a problem w/ people complaining about Association, the crowd, Crew, etc. All you are doing is complaining about people complaining. All this talking you doing isn't going to fix anything, people are still going to complain and they have a right to. Like I said, as long as you're happy you shouldn't even be tripping. Everyone has their own issues with the game. You're up in here letting people get you mad because they are complaining. It's funny to me.
It's not about defending everything about the game and yes i said I hope that I hope that it is in the retail version. If that bothers you then I suggest you only talk to the pessimistic folks on here so that you can feel at home. I'm not mad at anyone I am simply voicing my opinion about you and the rest of the complainers as you voiced your opinion about me, see how that works? The bottom line is that I am happy with the improvements and you are not, it happens, let it go and move along.

# 114 spankdatazz22 @ 09/07/13 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I feel like we used to have a "Little Things" thread every year that'd hover around the top of the forum for the duration of the game's run. Recently, I still see that thread, but we seem to burn through most of the observed uniqueness much earlier than we used to. Since it's clear this won't be happening on the current generation, I'd love to see things like this on the next gen:

-Wild, spazzing reactions and celebrations from a player and his teammates after he hits a buzzer beating, game-winning shot.
-Realistic crowd noise
-EA NHL-like crowd response (graphic-wise) where they jump in near unison on an important play (big shot, buzzer beater, etc.)
-Violations for crossing the baseline when attempting to defend an inbound pass
-Displacing or knocking over people, chairs, equipment when diving out of bounds
-A coach giving last second instruction to a player on the verge of checking in
-The actual removal of warmup pants/shirt with re-application in certain instances when checking back out
-An occasional fan half court attempt during time-outs (to go with other possible time-out entertainment)
-Players returning from serious knee injuries wearing a brace, at least temporarily
-In-game injuries where the game camera doesn't zoom out and pan uncomfortably to the player writhing on the court by himself while teammates and opponents just stare blankly in other directions

It's small and medium things like those mentioned above that can often make one game feel new in comparison to its previous effort alongside, well, not keeping just about everything the same in terms of appearance aside from some detailed gameplay upgrades.
You seem to want to keep punishing them for their ridiculously good previous efforts by saying they should be making similar gains every year - which imo isn't fair or practical to expect. I guess it's a matter of perspective, but in a game that was already doing things several years ago that most other sports games weren't doing - or still aren't doing today - you seem to keep expecting them to make the same monumental leaps every year/continually lapping the competition when there are limitations from a technology standpoint and I'd think even a developmental standpoint.

Sure, it's possible for every release to feel like they've thrown the kitchen sink into the game - but I think it's unfair to hold them to that exact standard every year. There are so many little things that get added to the game during any year that much gets unnoticed in part because they don't toot their own horn - such as people in the crowds realistically trying to "yell" at a ref that an opposing team's player travelled, the way much of everything along the baseline is interactive, the varied coach reactions, etc. But you seem to be faulting them for not having added the things YOU'D like added, based on your list. There are limits to what can be done. It only makes sense that in a game that already has a lot of little things content that they're going to be able to add the same amount every year where it's noticeable. Especially to people that play the game near non-stop for 11months out of the year.

I mean c'mon - it'd be nice to see them add players taking off/putting on their warmups when they come in/out of a game. But that's an out-there expectation imo. I'm still amazed they have various animations for players waiting to check into a game, varied free throw reaction anims that mix seamlessly with the individual player free throw routines, etc. I don't see how this game can be faulted for not paying attention to the little things (sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying)

# 115 MarvinOida @ 09/07/13 01:13 PM
Quote:
Well for the games sake I hope that you are wrong. It won't be a game killer for me if it stays the same but it would be nice to see it added. 2k seems to improve quite a bit every year, many good things to look forward to in this years addition. Crowd noise seems to be an issue in 2k games period.
It is. I'll agree with that. I just don't believe that it can be simple as adjusting the color of floor for 30 teams and 60+ jerseys cause I want my game to look like the NBA.

# 116 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 01:19 PM
Quote:
It is. I'll agree with that. I just don't believe that it can be simple as adjusting the color of floor for 30 teams and 60+ jerseys cause I want my game to look like the NBA.

Yeah I'm sure it's not that simple but we can hope. It's probably not good to expect much more now that I think about it, since this is the last version of the game on current gen platforms.

# 117 Jrocc23 @ 09/07/13 01:20 PM
Quote:
You don't know me well enough to say that I defend everything about 2k and yes i said I hope that I hope that it is in the retail version. If that bothers you then I suggest you only talk to the pessimistic folks on here so that you can feel at home. I'm not mad at anyone I am simply voicing my opinion about you and the rest of the complainers as you voiced your opinion about me, see how that works? The bottom line is that I am happy with the improvements and you are not, it happens, let it go and move along.
It doesn't bother me, at all. I said I loved your optimism, but most likely that's not happening. That's the problem, some people like you are too optimistic instead of addressing things you've don't like that you have seen so far, ya'll just be like, "It's an early build, wait till the game comes out." Well, if I see something I don't like, I am going to post about it. I would rather say something and hope developers sees and addresses it instead of just hoping it's fixed when I purchase the game. I've never said I wasn't happy with the improvements, where are you getting this from? I am saying, the crowd does need to be improved and you agree. So, how am I complaining? I am just saying, I don't mind other people complaining about things they want addressed.

And it's funny you say "I am happy with the improvements and you are not, it happens, let it go and move along." Use your own advice when it comes to other people. They aren't happy with improvements but you are, it happens, let it go and move along.

# 118 Eddie1967 @ 09/07/13 01:26 PM
Quote:
It doesn't bother me, at all. I said I loved your optimism, but most likely that's not happening. That's the problem, some people like you are too optimistic instead of addressing things you've don't like that you have seen so far, ya'll just be like, "It's an early build, wait till the game comes out." Well, if I see something I don't like, I am going to post about it. I would rather say something and hope developers sees and addresses it instead of just hoping it's fixed when I purchase the game. I've never said I wasn't happy with the improvements, where are you getting this from? I am saying, the crowd does need to be improved and you agree. So, how am I complaining? I am just saying, I don't mind other people complaining about things they want addressed.

And it's funny you say "I am happy with the improvements and you are not, it happens, let it go and move along." Use your own advice when it comes to other people. They aren't happy with improvements but you are, it happens, let it go and move along.
LOL, good point and as they say touche. I don't mind complaining to get something fixed but that isn't always the case when a 2k game is about to come out. It's the same every year and I guess I have been on OS long enough to be used to it but it is still quite annoying but hey if that complaining gets the crowd noise fixed in the retail version or via a patch then I am all for it.

# 119 MarvinOida @ 09/07/13 01:31 PM
Quote:
Yeah I'm sure it's not that simple but we can hope. It's probably not good to expect much more now that I think about it, since this is the last version of the game on current gen platforms.
Bad mindset. You don't wanna give the excuse if "its last game of the generation, I don't expect much to improve." That's IMO, just ridiculous. Yeah you can't enhance everything like a PC, but the art department can easily edit all these jerseys in 1 texture edit in Photoshop and it will be easy.

You want the current gen to be big and great to hype the next gen instead of assuming all work went to next gen when really it wasn't much of an improvement to someone's eyes.

# 120 Jrocc23 @ 09/07/13 01:35 PM
Quote:
LOL, good point and as they say touche. I don't mind complaining to get something fixed but that isn't always the case when a 2k game is about to come out. It's the same every year and I guess I have been on OS long enough to be used to it but it is still quite annoying but hey if that complaining gets the crowd noise fixed in the retail version or via a patch then I am all for it.
Yeah, I understand. It does get repetitive and some people do complain about the craziest things. But who I am to say what's important to them? Like you said, most of everyone on here is a diehard 2K fan, so they will still buy the game anyways lol. I'll be optimistic with you and hope it makes it into the retail version and it definitely should be in next-gen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.