Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports and Machinima streamed NBA 2K14 at 4:00 PM EST this afternoon. You can watch the stream now archived at the following link: Click here to open stream in a new tab.

We saw Oklahoma City and Houston played on sim settings as Chris Manning (@LD2K) talking through different features in the game.

After watching the game played on the stream, it definitely appears NBA 2K14 is a step forward for the franchise in a good way. The defenses are much better this year, but not so much so that they overpower the offenses. If you play good offense you will still score plenty of points. Blocks were nowhere near overdone from what I could tell, and the new play in the lane was a subtle improvement. There were some passes which were a bit crazy/odd -- but that's one of those things I'm very willing to forgive.

The shot percentages look much better, and the overall look of the game looks definitely improved. This isn't a complete overhaul, but there are subtle improvements across the board and the gameplay appeared much more balanced overall. My biggest gripe was the lack of fouls called in the game -- I'm hoping that's not a typical thing. Regardless, the game looked very impressive overall.

NBA 2K14 releases October 1 for current gen consoles.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Dimage25 @ 09/23/13 05:50 PM
All right in terms of the gameplay it was interesting to find out a few things that LD2K was talking about with the controls, so i definetly like the fact that you can control things like the eurostep layup and spin moves through the right stick, the defense definetly looked improved, seemed to me like the AI defenders were a bit smarter defending against isolation drives to the basket. I didn't like that they didn't run a single play in that game, caus i wanna see what the floor spacing looks like if you actually run a play, because they said that the spacing is improved, however on most of the defensive possessions it still looked crowded, since they were just straight isolating on offense. Obviously the guy with the Rockets was way off on his jumpshots, LD2K actually made a few contested jumpers with KD and Westbrook, so it looks like that is still possible, but that actually does happen in the nba, so no complaint there. I liked that LD2K actually went into myTeam there at the end and showed us a little bit of something there, apparently Franchise is not a new game mode, but just the place where you name your team and choose a city and stuff like that, so no big secret there i suppose. I didn't hear anything new about a demo release, so i'm just gonna assume that there isn't gonna be one this year, but oh well i guess we'll just have to wait till the game releases to find out what it feels like.

# 42 stillfeelme @ 09/23/13 05:53 PM
Looks good to me. Not too bad with default defensive settings.
  • They ran what one play the whole game?
  • The game definitely appears balanced.
  • Neither played good on ball defense but the help defense was noticabley better.
  • Looks like they slowed the game speed down.
  • No fouls at all for the whole game was weird

# 43 alabamarob @ 09/23/13 05:59 PM
I do not like the full court passes.
I do not like fransisco catching oops.
I do not like beverly and lin dunking in traffic.
I do not like durant and ibaka traveling in post.
I do not like the full court passes at all. I don't know why they think it is realistic for a big to throw one handed full court passes on the money. In 2k11 they patched the full court passes.

Everything else looks good.

# 44 SC1211 @ 09/23/13 06:08 PM
Anyone else as appalled as I am at the horrible art? I was shocked when Chandler Parsons didn't have his face updated for 2K13, but he still has that abomination of a face for 2K14? Omer Asik hasn't had short hair in two years, and Lin's face still looks pretty bad. This is just straight up laziness.

# 45 adwin7 @ 09/23/13 06:14 PM
This game looks really freaking good. And ss/sim on all online modes is great.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

# 46 rockchisler @ 09/23/13 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub33
Yeah but rock chiseler unfortunately a lot of 2k fans are sophomoric when it comes to pre release news. Crew, association, sleeves for Pete's sake. People over react to everything and then use powerful weapons like YouTube or twitter to bite into the sales potential for the company. I don't blame them for being hush hush about things.
They have never gone this long before the week of release and not said if there is a demo or not.. Either it is or isnt.. I can take it..

# 47 Deck @ 09/23/13 06:15 PM
6 min Q on SS/Sim and I don't recall many fouls (0 FTA ? or close?). The rest of the game seems Ok.

# 48 knick9 @ 09/23/13 06:27 PM
It sounds like what 2k13 should have been. I expect the next-gen to be a more substantial improvement.

# 49 LD2k @ 09/23/13 06:58 PM
Wanted to note - there was a bit of input lag with their setup (television + livestream etc etc) so that small amount of input lag caused us to have a ton of long-held releases.

# 50 The 24th Letter @ 09/23/13 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Wanted to note - there was a bit of input lag with their setup (television + livestream etc etc) so that small amount of input lag caused us to have a ton of long-held releases.
Ah, that makes sense...

# 51 strobox88 @ 09/23/13 07:09 PM
Can't believe nobody asked if there was a demo this year. lmao

# 52 sniapeko @ 09/23/13 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobox88
Can't believe nobody asked if there was a demo this year. lmao
a lot of people asked. It was like the most asked question.
They simply ignored it and didn't answer.

# 53 Goffs @ 09/23/13 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniapeko
a lot of people asked. It was like the most asked question.
They simply ignored it and didn't answer.
Yeah LD2k just responded above and skimmed the demo questions here....safe to say we aren't getting one this year..

# 54 NINJAK2 @ 09/23/13 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
i spammed demo questions and got ignored
stay tuned..........................

# 55 infam0us @ 09/23/13 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Yeah LD2k just responded above and skimmed the demo questions here....safe to say we aren't getting one this year..
I'm guessing he and Ronnie don't want to get bombarded with tweets when its out of their hands whether a demo is released or not.

# 56 NINJAK2 @ 09/23/13 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1211
Anyone else as appalled as I am at the horrible art? I was shocked when Chandler Parsons didn't have his face updated for 2K13, but he still has that abomination of a face for 2K14? Omer Asik hasn't had short hair in two years, and Lin's face still looks pretty bad. This is just straight up laziness.
Yep they certainly ignored some guys again this year but they addressed some as well. They updated Greg Smith with Tats for example. I wonder what happend to the player art updates they stated they were going to do over the course of the season back on 2k12? Have not heard a peep about that since.....

# 57 Goffs @ 09/23/13 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
stay tuned..........................

# 58 robdilla @ 09/23/13 07:52 PM
The dam demo comes out in the morning

# 59 Taer @ 09/23/13 08:09 PM
I appreciate 2k putting this out. Thanks.

It has come to the point where I will need to experience 2k14 in order to come up with any further in-depth conclusions.

The ai gameplay does look tighter within the paint. I am a little worried about the help defense on the perimeter - and I do not know if the lag I noticed was just player error or if the ai still is lagging when sliding and shading on the perimeter. This was the biggest thing that stood out to me as I was watching this live-stream.

# 60 TalenT @ 09/23/13 08:31 PM
Some of that stuff was painful to watch. LD has an excuse - he was talking and playing, but that was terrible basketball. Errant passes were far too successful.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.