Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Unfortunately, there will not be a demo for NBA 2K14. Here is the official response.

Quote:
No #NBA2K14 demo as dev's are making two unique games that harness the technology of current and next gen. Excited to share more soon!

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Norris_Cole @ 09/25/13 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller31time
It's a tough position for 2K this year. They know CG 2K14 isn't anything special and they clearly didn't spend too much time on it. Can't fault them since NG 2K14 is the new direction of the company while CG 2K14 is merely a placeholder for those who either haven't gotten a NG system yet or want to play 2K before their NG system arrives. But make no mistake, it's a placeholder.

But I'll say this - they've put themselves in a difficult position. Due to the consumer knowing CG 2K14 is a rebranded 2K13, the expectations for NG 2K14 are rightfully through the roof.

If they fail to deliver on those lofty expectations, they run the risk of losing a lot of faithful customers.

Those expecting a demo should have seen this coming - demos are done by companies who believe their game is truly an improvement and something to be seen/tested. It's done by companies who are proud of their product and want the consumer to see for themselves. Their PR team can spin it any way they want (and some will buy the drivel) but make no mistake, they don't want people to "test" 2K14 out on CG.
Yo do know that they will sell like 3x times more games in cg than next gen right? I laugh at people thinking the ng version is going to be revolutionary and the savior of basketball games. It'll probably be a stripped down version of the game with better graphics and thats all, same gameplay , same animations, same exploits. Just exactly how 2K6 was when it was released for the ps2 and ps3

# 102 TemplateR @ 09/25/13 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Skip 30 minutes and listen to how questions are answered...

What I heared out is, that they want to talk about the pc-version later.

# 103 JasonWilliams55 @ 09/25/13 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_Cole
It'll probably be a stripped down version of the game with better graphics and thats all, same gameplay, same animations, same exploits.
I specifically asked in Vegas if NG was a stripped down version, a port, etc... and was told that it was not a stripped down version, was not a port and was a full fledged game.

Remember that 2K has to deal w/ competition on NG, so if they shoot a blank, it will hurt them in the long run, especially since EA has only had to work on NG.

# 104 Norris_Cole @ 09/25/13 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
I specifically asked in Vegas if NG was a stripped down version, a port, etc... and was told that it was not a stripped down version, was not a port and was a full fledged game.

Remember that 2K has to deal w/ competition on NG, so if they shoot a blank, it will hurt them in the long run, especially since EA has only had to work on NG.
They obviusly goig to tell you that. Lets wait and see, Ill be getting both versions but it looks to me like people has ridiculously high expectations for the next gen version, and then the disappointing comes...

# 105 LD2k @ 09/25/13 11:35 AM
Quote:
Yo do know that they will sell like 3x times more games in cg than next gen right? I laugh at people thinking the ng version is going to be revolutionary and the savior of basketball games. It'll probably be a stripped down version of the game with better graphics and thats all, same gameplay , same animations, same exploits. Just exactly how 2K6 was when it was released for the ps2 and ps3
lol

I can't wait...

# 106 stillfeelme @ 09/25/13 11:39 AM
Quote:
I think you are underestimating next gen. Of course they will share some common things like "some" motion capture and some of the same game modes, similar control setup. There is no reason to devote two separate teams for current gen and next gen if we are just getting a port with pretty graphics. This is the game that will set their foundation for the next 7-8 years.

# 107 Norris_Cole @ 09/25/13 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I think you are underestimating next gen. Of course they will share some common things like "some" motion capture and some of the same game modes, similar control setup. There is no reason to devote two separate teams for current gen and next gen if we are just getting a port with pretty graphics. This is the game that will set their foundation for the next 7-8 years.
Thats another point that no one is talking about (the team being split between cg and ng) , they have less people/resources than what they will normally have so who knows if the gameplay is even going to be worse than current gen? I'm just saying people is expecting too much for the 1st nba 2k release in next gen when they have seen literally nothing yet. I like to think about all the possibilities.

# 108 TeeDogg @ 09/25/13 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane
Buying it Day One regardless. If nothing else as a thank you to 2K for bringing it this gen and making a bunch of fantastic basketball games.

But I'm going to be playing it like a maniac lol.
Great point. This marks the end of an OUTSTANDING!! Generation of hoops by 2K/VC. Hats off to you you guys. Regardless of any shortcomings or whatever anyone wants to point out as flawed. What you guys did with the genre on a whole is incredible. During many years this gen you were the only reason I still played games. Great job and I look forward to see what you do next gen.

# 109 stillfeelme @ 09/25/13 12:35 PM
Quote:
Thats another point that no one is talking about (the team being split between cg and ng) , they have less people/resources than what they will normally have so who knows if the gameplay is even going to be worse than current gen? I'm just saying people is expecting too much for the 1st nba 2k release in next gen when they have seen literally nothing yet. I like to think about all the possibilities.
None of us work there to know what they are doing with resources. Who is to say they didn't hire more people or shuffle people from baseball? This is their number one franchise for sports why would they shortchange it when competition is right over their shoulder?
  • My expectations for next gen are higher for more of the details "little things"
  • Current gen like gameplay plus more
  • More realistic models, jersey, courts, sidelines, with player interaction.
  • Signature everything, dribbling and more custimization
  • New Myplayer, CAP improvements, more off the court options
  • Improved association, franchise mode with some kind of connected career like mode
  • humanlike AI, reactions, predictions, gambles that they couldn't get in CG (This is what I think will be real difference under the hood)
  • Physics, momentum, improved, foot planting.
  • Arena Sound taken to another level, halftime show, courtside show, maybe even something in association, highlights of other games.

# 110 arimamba @ 09/25/13 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinnow
I wonder how poor sales will be for NBA 2K14 on current gen. The lack of a demo will hurt casual sales.
casuals dont download demos

# 111 arimamba @ 09/25/13 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman2k
Maybe you ought to wait for the NBA Live demo before you make the same mistake as getting an Xbox One over a PS4
what is wrong with the xbox (d)one?

# 112 RipCityAndy @ 09/25/13 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This is an odd decision considering that there is a new control scheme and the demo would give gamers some hands on time to adjust prior to release. This definitely puts more onus on NBA2k14 playing well right out the box because if not, people will be even more upset and feel duped by the lack of a demo. With video games everything that happens beforehand is put into context by how the final product turns out, if it's good, it's all good, if it's not so good, people will understandably Monday morning QB the entire process.
Agreed. This is especially true considering they have been marketing it, essentially, by referencing the new feel. I also agree with you that there is a heightened burden on gameplay right out of the box. We know the history of how 2k performed out of box last year... All I can say is the lack of demo was enough for me to put my purchase on hold until much later.

# 113 TalenT @ 09/25/13 03:18 PM
Disappointing for me. The gameplay videos and trailers have not sold me, unfortunately. It won't be a day one purchase for me now since I had questions (that the demo would've answered). I'll give it some time and read what you guys on OS have to say as far as reviewing it and the feel...then I'll make my decision.

# 114 alkamist @ 09/25/13 07:00 PM
its not even going to be worth the $60 right now, they need to lower the price of this CG 2K to 29.99 since its basically a knockoff of 2k13. We've seen the videos, and the pictures, its like the same game but updated rosters, and now you can block ducks. Also the pass thing with the and the shot joystick was already in the game you just needed to change the setting for your controllers, all they did was made it as a current setup.

I am not even going to buy 2k14 for xbox one because its possibly the same game just upgraded graphics, they probaby didnt even change anything in the game. People that buy this game all it is a demo of NG 2k14 nothing more and nothing less. Cant change much since the games are probably already package and getting ready to ship in November. Also there is no demo for CG for NBA Live that game is only a NG game.

# 115 Goffs @ 09/25/13 07:06 PM
Nobody cares about Live here and they have yet to market NG 2k...since you're not getting either 2k versions go back to the Live forums and keep Cedric company..

# 116 Boilerbuzz @ 09/25/13 07:33 PM

I SO knew this was going to happen. The hyperbole in some of the reactions are priceless. Like you're REALLY surprised by this. How anyone expected there to be a demo is beyond me. They have NO time to "waste" on old-gen, let alone a demo. I say "waste" in quotes because based on the early responses, the gameplay was worked on. And also because some people do feel that next-gen needs to be their priority. But this thread, still has me in stitches! Please carry on. This is fun!

# 117 ii_melo @ 09/25/13 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz

I SO knew this was going to happen. The hyperbole in some of the reactions are priceless. Like you're REALLY surprised by this. How anyone expected there to be a demo is beyond me. They have NO time to "waste" on old-gen, let alone a demo. I say "waste" in quotes because based on the early responses, the gameplay was worked on. And also because some people do feel that next-gen needs to be their priority. But this thread, still has me in stitches! Please carry on. This is fun!
But they had time for a demo for gamescom. Dismissed.

# 118 XenoZograscope @ 09/25/13 07:49 PM
No surprise here.

# 119 Dr. Poe @ 09/25/13 09:53 PM
Getting next gen version. It's time to move on. Next gen better be a full game.

# 120 Boilerbuzz @ 09/25/13 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ii_melo
But they had time for a demo for gamescom. Dismissed.
LOL! You think that version at Gamescon would fly going through MS and Sony for approval? Ignorant.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.