Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

Here is the official statement from EA Sports:

Quote:
"Today I am sad to announce that we will not be publishing a new college football game next year, and we are evaluating our plan for the future of the franchise. This is as profoundly disappointing to the people who make this game as I expect it will be for the millions who enjoy playing it each year. I’d like to explain a couple of the factors that brought us to this decision.

We have been stuck in the middle of a dispute between the NCAA and student-athletes who seek compensation for playing college football. Just like companies that broadcast college games and those that provide equipment and apparel, we follow rules that are set by the NCAA – but those rules are being challenged by some student-athletes. For our part, we are working to settle the lawsuits with the student-athletes. Meanwhile, the NCAA and a number of conferences have withdrawn their support of our game. The ongoing legal issues combined with increased questions surrounding schools and conferences have left us in a difficult position – one that challenges our ability to deliver an authentic sports experience, which is the very foundation of EA SPORTS games.

At EA SPORTS, college football has always been a labor of love, and it is unfortunate that these business and legal issues have impacted our ability to make next year’s game. This franchise has been developed by a team that is deeply committed to the tradition and culture of this sport – that’s why fans have always loved it. We are working to retain the talented people who are part of the team by placing them elsewhere within the EA SPORTS organization.

In the meantime, we will continue to be connected and engaged with our fans who are playing EA SPORTS NCAA Football. Our decision does not affect our commitment to NCAA Football 14 and the consumers who love playing the game."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 481 mestevo @ 01/23/14 10:52 AM
That isn't what windfall means as they aren't going to receive a large sum of money in some judgement from this case, I don't think anyone disagrees with your point really though... just usage of that word and maybe your expectations of how much money NCAA FB games actually make.

Sent from my VZW Note 3

# 482 simgamer0005 @ 01/25/14 05:48 PM
Is there any correlation to the NCAA football series ending to the BCS ending as well? Has there ever been this amount of uncertainty going into a college football season? When July 2014 rolls around, there will be no college football game for sale, and we will be heading into a college football season with no BCS rankings.

Could there be a correlation to this new world of college football and without something like the BCS governing it. This is such a dramatic change to college football after the last 15 or so. Yet no one really is talking about how it will be different. You would think by now there would be more in-depth offseason discussions of how to better judge college football teams after a season. Yet instead all people are concerned about right now is which players are going to the NFL draft, what their stock is. Where's the discussion about how teams will be judged in college football next year? Is the timing of all this uncertainty in college football just coincidence or is there more to it?

# 483 mestevo @ 01/25/14 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
Is there any correlation to the NCAA football series ending to the BCS ending as well? Has there ever been this amount of uncertainty going into a college football season? When July 2014 rolls around, there will be no college football game for sale, and we will be heading into a college football season with no BCS rankings.

Could there be a correlation to this new world of college football and without something like the BCS governing it. This is such a dramatic change to college football after the last 15 or so. Yet no one really is talking about how it will be different. You would think by now there would be more in-depth offseason discussions of how to better judge college football teams after a season. Yet instead all people are concerned about right now is which players are going to the NFL draft, what their stock is. Where's the discussion about how teams will be judged in college football next year? Is the timing of all this uncertainty in college football just coincidence or is there more to it?
I'm confused as to how any of that applies to this thread or lawsuit. The discontinued game is peanuts compared to the BCS/playoff change.

Sent from my VZW Note 3

# 484 simgamer0005 @ 01/25/14 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I'm confused as to how any of that applies to this thread or lawsuit. The discontinued game is peanuts compared to the BCS/playoff change.
I'm asking if you think there's a correlation between the two. Or is it just a coincidence? For the last 15 years or so, we've had the BCS every season and we had a new CFB video game every summer. This year, now all of a sudden we have neither.

Lets say they could make a video game this year. How would they design the Season / Dynasty mode in NCAA 15 if there was a new game coming out? No one really knows what college football will be like next season without the BCS standings, you know? The Dynasty mode in the NCAA games (on PS2 and PS3) has always revolved around the BCS standings. Isn't it interesting that the BCS system ran out the same year that EA's NCAA license ran out?

# 485 mestevo @ 01/25/14 08:17 PM
Don't see how it could be considered anything other than a coincidence. A $40m settlement is a far cry from the potential liabilities of continuing the develop the game and lose a larger lawsuit, much bigger factor ambiguous direction designing the post-season of the next game.

# 486 kehlis @ 01/25/14 08:19 PM
Nothing but a coincidence.

And it isn't like the format the NCAA will be using now is a huge mystery.

# 487 simgamer0005 @ 01/25/14 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Nothing but a coincidence.

And it isn't like the format the NCAA will be using now is a huge mystery.
All we know is there will now be a committee to select who will be in the two semi-finals. This is different then letting two specific polls largely determine who plays in the national championship. Now, those week to week polls might not mean as much, does this new committee have to put in the teams that are ranked #1-#4 in the polls in? I am interested in the new system of determining other major bowl games. Hopefully it'll be better than the BCS, but we won't know until we see a season play out.

One thing I hear is that now the two semi-finals (Rose and Sugar next season) will be both played on New Year's Day. Which is pretty cool, and apparently the other major bowls like Fiesta and Cotton will be played on either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. (New Year's Eve major bowls is a huge change) From what it sounds like, there won't be major bowls being played on Jan 2nd through January 4th anymore. I think a lot of stuff is still being decided, like where the Championship Final played on Jan 12th 2015 (apparently) will be held. (I am reading it will probably be in Arlington, TX)

The format of deciding who plays in the two semi-finals is a bit of a mystery. You have a small group of people making a decision, rather than the harris and coaches poll and computer rating that changed throughout the BCS era. I think overall it will be better, but it is a huge change. Had the EA NCAA series license been renewed, I think it would be hard from them to design dynasty mode. How would you program the game to evaluate teams in close proximity in Dynasty Mode? It's kind of amazing that the first year there is a playoff there is no college football game.

# 488 mestevo @ 01/25/14 08:58 PM
I am sure there are massive threads in the appropriate forum for most of that post. Otherwise I don't see the issue, they could do as little as take the top 4 and there's your playoff teams. I don't see how you could attach that development. Remove the emotion and human element and consider the raw mechanics. They already determine top teams, just needs to be reinterpreted and messaged in a different format.

# 489 simgamer0005 @ 01/25/14 09:22 PM
Take the Top 4 of what though? The BCS ranking determined the Top 2 teams automatically. Now a committee actually has to make a decision after a long season on who are the 4 best or most deserving teams are. Really what I'm asking is if there was an NCAA 15 game, how would they determine who the 4 teams that make the semi-finals are? You can't just say "Top 4" because now there's no BCS ranking. Would it be the Top 4 of the harris or Top 4 of the coaches? Who the top 4 are after a long season is hugely debatable.

Here's where I think that it's not just a coincidence. I don't think they'd be able to release a game with a Dynasty mode. If there was an NCAA 15, likely they'd just program the game to make a "random" decision as to which teams get into the semi-finals without giving any information or criteria as to how those teams was chosen. It's much different in college basketball where you have half the field getting automatic bids. In the 4 team college football playoffs, there's no auto bids like in march madness. I think the role of conference championship weekend needs to be evaluated.

Obviously it will be assumed that the winner of the SEC championship game will be one of the teams in the play-off, but everything else is kind of an unknown. Who would have made a 4 team playoff this year? Auburn, Florida State, and who would be the 3rd and 4th? How would the committee determine who is more deserving for semi-final spots after that? In the BCS, after #1 and #2, it didn't really matter, as the bowls selected who they wanted in an order. But now this committee will have to evaluate more than just the Top 2, but #3 and #4. It won't be an average of polls and computer ratings, it'll just be a selection, so shouldn't we as fans know more about the criteria of what will be used?

I think it's relevant to this thread because if there is no new game this summer, won't people request updates to NCAA 14 with the 4 team playoff?

# 490 mestevo @ 01/25/14 09:36 PM
They will, but that's naive since there's nobody working on the title.

Strip away all the current branding for BCS, call it power rankings, top 4 are your playoff, done.

Put a little more effort into prettying it up or something, but that's where they'd start. No coincidence, no conspiracy, you're massively over thinking this. There's no game this year due to ROI and liability, probably not in that order.

# 491 simgamer0005 @ 01/25/14 09:58 PM
The BCS was a formula, 1/3 harris poll, 1/3 coaches poll, 1/3 average computer rating. That calculation isn't what will determine the semi-finalists in the upcoming season of college football. You're saying all they would do is strip away the branding and call it a power ranking, but power rankings generally consist of an agreed upon average of statistics from games in a season, which is very different than the Top 4 BCS standings. Imagine if "power rankings" determined who made the playoffs in the NFL. Imagine how controversial that would be. Playoffs in the NFL are by winning your division, records and tie-breakers. (not by committee)

The larger question of criteria used by the committee can be discussed further in a another thread, but whether or not EA will patch NCAA 14 is something many gamers want to know. With the new college football playoff, I think we have an opportunity to really start looking more closely into evaluating teams. The BCS kinda guided the whole season, and now we don't have that anymore, so I think this offseason should be used to understand how bowl selection will change and how teams will be evaluated moving forward.

# 492 kehlis @ 01/25/14 10:10 PM
Sim.

Not at home so I can't reply in depth and will do so later but the thing that jumps out to me about your argument is that the game sucked at determining this stuff already despite the fact the BCS has been in place for years.

I doubt the fact that a new system is in place would have prevented them from releasing a game.

# 493 simgamer0005 @ 01/26/14 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFox7
You're making things WAY more complicated than they need to be or likely will be next year.

There's nothing special about the phrase "power ranking." The committee of 13 is going to have their own power rankings. The BCS in and of itself was nothing more than a power ranking, made up of 2 subjective human polls and an averaged objective computer ranking. All 5 computer models, the AP/Harris Polls, and Coaches' poll were also power rankings.
The criteria of this new power ranking remains largely unknown. I get the feeling that we are going to get to the end of the 2014 regular season, and no one will know who the semi-final teams will be. Maybe we'll be able to predict 1 or 2 of those teams, but probably 1 or 2 of those teams will be a pick-em type "surprise". It's not that much different from the BCS in that respect, but there's just more teams and more potential for controversy. Will the committee of 13 be releasing their week-to-week power rankings like the BCS did?

Oh and when you say that the computer ratings in the BCS was objective, in theory they were but you have to realize that they were changed and tweaked again and again, even during the 2014 season, with no explanation on how or why. It was very subjective when you really study it. And it wasn't even a true "average" since the first and last ranking were dropped. I don't agree that the BCS itself was a power ranking, it was a combination of polls and a very shady computer ranking that never really was vetted properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFox7
Power rankings have determined who plays for the FBS/DI-A championship for as long as it has existed, and they will continue to play a role because there are simply too many teams and unbalanced schedules to use record alone. Even with an 8 team playoff, and 5 guaranteed spots to Power 5 conference champs, you'd be using power rankings to fill out the rest of the bracket.
I agree about the unbalanced schedules and all that and the impracticality of an NFL type standings system with that many teams. But power rankings have not determined who plays for the "FBS/DI-A championship for as long as it has existed". Before the BCS, the bowl coalition determined who played in the bowl games, and it was not driven directly by who was ranked #1 and #2. It was driven by traditional bowl match ups and bowl choice. If the #1 team was BigTen or Pac10, and the #2 team was SEC, #1 vs #2 would not happen. The whole point of the BCS was supposed to fix this problem, however when compared to the BCS, it really wasn't that bad, in fact it was better in a lot of ways. The major bowls weren't determined directly by power rankings. The national champion was determined after the bowls, and sometimes 2 or 3 bowl games played a role in determining that. And before you say "but that system sucked because we never saw #1 vs #2", it was better in a lot of ways than the BCS, and a plus-one system after a traditional pre-BCS type New Year's Day bowl system would have been better than anything we've seen since.

Quote:
As far as NCAA14 is concerned, just putting the top 4 BCS teams in would be fine. As far as the real world is concerned, keeping the BCS in play would probably do a better job than a bunch of ADs who can't possibly watch every game to come up with objective rankings and aren't required to consider any computer polls or even human polls with larger sample sizes.
But the BCS isn't in play anymore. They can't use that branding or that calculation to "guide" the season any more. Rankings in it of itself (power or not) are subjective. I agree though that how this committee will decide who is the best 4 teams most deserving of the playoff is largely unknown. It's a significant change to how college football teams are judged, and I think fans deserve to know more about the criteria and who is really eligible for the playoff.

# 494 Ballgame59 @ 01/26/14 04:57 PM
They could have kept the BCS ranking to determine the top 4.

# 495 coogrfan @ 01/26/14 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
I'm asking if you think there's a correlation between the two. Or is it just a coincidence? For the last 15 years or so, we've had the BCS every season and we had a new CFB video game every summer. This year, now all of a sudden we have neither.

Lets say they could make a video game this year. How would they design the Season / Dynasty mode in NCAA 15 if there was a new game coming out? No one really knows what college football will be like next season without the BCS standings, you know? The Dynasty mode in the NCAA games (on PS2 and PS3) has always revolved around the BCS standings. Isn't it interesting that the BCS system ran out the same year that EA's NCAA license ran out?
Dude, come on. You are seriously overthinking this.

The idea that EA might have bailed on the NCAA series to avoid having to incorporate the playoff is incredibly far-fetched.

There will still be coaches and writers polls. It's probable that there will be a strong correlation between the top 4 of those polls and the temas that get invited to the playoff, so adding it to the game would have presented little problem.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.