Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

Here is the official statement from EA Sports:

Quote:
"Today I am sad to announce that we will not be publishing a new college football game next year, and we are evaluating our plan for the future of the franchise. This is as profoundly disappointing to the people who make this game as I expect it will be for the millions who enjoy playing it each year. I’d like to explain a couple of the factors that brought us to this decision.

We have been stuck in the middle of a dispute between the NCAA and student-athletes who seek compensation for playing college football. Just like companies that broadcast college games and those that provide equipment and apparel, we follow rules that are set by the NCAA – but those rules are being challenged by some student-athletes. For our part, we are working to settle the lawsuits with the student-athletes. Meanwhile, the NCAA and a number of conferences have withdrawn their support of our game. The ongoing legal issues combined with increased questions surrounding schools and conferences have left us in a difficult position – one that challenges our ability to deliver an authentic sports experience, which is the very foundation of EA SPORTS games.

At EA SPORTS, college football has always been a labor of love, and it is unfortunate that these business and legal issues have impacted our ability to make next year’s game. This franchise has been developed by a team that is deeply committed to the tradition and culture of this sport – that’s why fans have always loved it. We are working to retain the talented people who are part of the team by placing them elsewhere within the EA SPORTS organization.

In the meantime, we will continue to be connected and engaged with our fans who are playing EA SPORTS NCAA Football. Our decision does not affect our commitment to NCAA Football 14 and the consumers who love playing the game."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Cryolemon @ 09/26/13 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I still dont think this is the end of the series. They will just wait until the NCAA settles its end of the suit before proceeding. I cant see a publisher leaving a profitable series on the shelf if the suit gets settled.
That would seem to imply then that it was a settlement term, and their lawyers figured that it was better to settle using that as a term than to carry on and ultimately lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Finally, the settlement just screwed future players over if this is the end of the series. Instead of negotiating a royalty for future players to receive, Obannon and the former players took the money and ran.
I'm not sure O'Bannon et al. give a damn about anyone else.

# 82 Herky @ 09/26/13 05:48 PM
It's sad how greed is the real reason why this is being shut down.

O'Bannon, the lawyers, and anyone else involved in the lawsuits can take a flying leap.

# 83 superjames1992 @ 09/26/13 05:49 PM
So we have a grand total of zero current college sports game in existence now? Damn.

# 84 Cryolemon @ 09/26/13 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
So we have a grand total of zero current college sports game in existence now? Damn.
Seems that way, and as I said, if it was a settlement term then good luck o there ever being another one.

# 85 RandyBass @ 09/26/13 05:51 PM
I've been disappointed by EA's football games for a while now, but it sucks to have one completely taken off the table, because NCAA did show some signs of improving.

Is it too late for some NCAA DLC? I'd pay for an add on if it meant fixing fumbles and penalties, and then also adding playoffs. Not sure if the agreements in place would prevent that, and when they expire and all, but one last "patch" in the form of DLC would a nice send off.

# 86 majesty95 @ 09/26/13 05:53 PM
We don't have to sit idly by and watch our favorite game go by the wayside. I've created a list of contacts and a petition to the NCAA and EA. Sign it, share it, contact them. Let your voices be heard!

# 87 DorianDonP @ 09/26/13 05:57 PM
A patch/DLC for playoffs? Please.

# 88 Dogslax41 @ 09/26/13 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Ahhh, chickens coming home to roost for the EA decision makers and the only people I feel sorry for are gamers and worker bees. EA should have never broken the likeness rules in the first place in the pursuit of more profit but I'm sure this means very little to them. Now it's likely time for them to figure out how to squeeze even more revenue out of Madden, gamers and worker bees be damned.

On the surface "it's just video games" but if a person were to be exposed for doing the unethical things EA has, they'd likely be prosecuted or at least publicly shunned. Time to take a honest look in the mirror and stop being a part of this crap, won't give EA another penny from my pocket, no matter how "improved" their games might be. Likely won't change anything but it will definitely ease my conscience.
To be fair the unethical exploitation started with the NCAA. They chose to deem it ok to sell players likeness. EA was a co-conspirator but in the end it was the rules put in place by the NCAA that created the anti trust situation.

# 89 aholbert32 @ 09/26/13 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
We don't have to sit idly by and watch our favorite game go by the wayside. I've created a list of contacts and a petition to the NCAA and EA. Sign it, share it, contact them. Let your voices be heard!
A petition has no effect on a settlement agreement.

# 90 bowld @ 09/26/13 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
Not worth your time. If it was part of the settlement you can forget about it

# 91 Crimsontide27 @ 09/26/13 05:59 PM
There was never a plan to continue NCAA onto Next Gen from the beginning. All efforts have been focused elsewhere for sometime now. Everyone involved knew this for quite some time.

# 92 coogrfan @ 09/26/13 06:01 PM
Well, there goes any reason I might have had for ever buying a next-gen console. No cfb game, no coogrfan.

# 93 slick1ru2 @ 09/26/13 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

# 94 kjcheezhead @ 09/26/13 06:02 PM
EA has been hit hard by lawsuits this year. The silver lining in this situation is that losing NCAA football hurts EAs bottom line and could lessen the money they need for the NFL license. We may be one step closer to a 2k Nfl game.

I have never been a college fan over the NFL and personally won't miss this title, I am however a big football fan in general. Having only madden for video game football is the worst thing I could imagine in my lifetime.

# 95 Buckeye_Mafia @ 09/26/13 06:02 PM
Well this sucks. Can't say I'm surprised once the conferenes pulled out. My question is, if a video game exploits the student athelete and their likeness, how does having them on TV commercials, advertisements, and TV not do the same as they aren't being paid for those things. What's next? O'Bannon and his team gonna try to make sure no college sports game is ever aired on TV? Looks like I won't be buying another EA Sports title. Madden is fun, but the recruiting in NCAA Football is WAY better than scouting / draft in Madden...R.I.P. NCAA Football

# 96 Dogslax41 @ 09/26/13 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Mafia
Well this sucks. Can't say I'm surprised once the conferenes pulled out. My question is, if a video game exploits the student athelete and their likeness, how does having them on TV commercials, advertisements, and TV not do the same as they aren't being paid for those things. What's next? O'Bannon and his team gonna try to make sure no college sports game is ever aired on TV? Looks like I won't be buying another EA Sports title. Madden is fun, but the recruiting in NCAA Football is WAY better than scouting / draft in Madden...R.I.P. NCAA Football
Yes. Tv rights is their next target. The NCAA open this can of worms, they are going to have to deal with it.

# 97 jyoung @ 09/26/13 06:07 PM
Interesting quote from the plaintiffs' attorney, Eugene Egdorf:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ible-for-money

Quote:
"I'm disappointed in [the cancellation], because there should be a game. All that has to happen is the NCAA allow players to be paid and there would be a game. This is Step 1 to players being paid that should. There will be players who play Saturday who should be paid [for their services] as they should be.”

# 98 Rolltide78980 @ 09/26/13 06:07 PM
Basically how I feel.

# 99 Cryolemon @ 09/26/13 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Interesting quote from the plaintiffs' attorney, Eugene Egdorf:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ible-for-money
The NCAA will NEVER allow players to be paid without losing this lawsuit.

# 100 Microsoft_Works @ 09/26/13 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
There was never a plan to continue NCAA onto Next Gen from the beginning. All efforts have been focused elsewhere for sometime now. Everyone involved knew this for quite some time.
Then why was the playoff deliberately left out due to "not knowing the full details"?

If you knew this was the last version, wouldn't any kind of system beat not having one at all, ever.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.