Home
News Post

With the EA/CLC settlement completed and many on the EA Sports NCAA team blindsided without a job, the money-grabbing lawyers have finally chimed in with a few things to say.

Quote:
"We would've been happy to have the game go forward. It was never our intent to not have this game [continue]...

"That's not us. We didn't tell them to do that," said Aragon, when asked to comment on EA's cancellation of next year's college football title. "We would be fine if they published a game."

"There's nothing stopping [EA] from making the game, so long as they don't use players' names, images or likenesses. Or [they could] pay the students, which they didn't really agree to..."

Source - Lawyers never intended for EA to stop making NCAA Football games (Polygon)

Member Comments
# 61 cdh72469 @ 10/07/13 05:00 PM
One more thing, in these suits the only winners are always the lawyers. I mean the tobacco suit and settlement was never about smoking, health, etc. It was about making the lawyers for the plaintiffs lottery winners.

# 62 tessl @ 10/07/13 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foots
It would be nice if those guys that were fired would take their ideas to another company to develop a fully customizable college football game. Its a possibility as long as there are no player likenesses.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk Pro
The problem with that is some player(s) would claim their likeness was in the game and sue. I believe the only way to reverse this is in congress (unlikely) or the courts. The $40 million EA agreed to pay is like blood in the water to the lawyers.

# 63 ChubbyD @ 10/08/13 05:10 PM
I would just like to chime in with one thing - there is no IP involved in these cases. Right-of-publicity is a tort, not IP. IP rights protect ideas.

Sorry for this grammar-nazi-like post, but I just wanted to clear that up.

# 64 Forestman @ 10/08/13 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh72469
One more thing, in these suits the only winners are always the lawyers. I mean the tobacco suit and settlement was never about smoking, health, etc. It was about making the lawyers for the plaintiffs lottery winners.
They saw a case they could sink their teeth into.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.