Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Episode 49 of the Press Row Podcast features an in-depth interview by host Rich Grisham (@richgrisham) with NBA Live 14 Gameplay Designer Scott O’Gallagher (@ScottOGallagher). Scott talks at length about some of the challenges the team has experienced in bringing NBA Live 14 to life, all of the gameplay features and controls, and the ways that NBA Live will set itself apart from its own heritage and the competition. While there is much about the game that has yet to be announced – and therefore isn’t discussed here – it’s an interesting view into the game now that it’s almost time to be unveiled to a waiting community.

Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Lastly, be sure to check out our friends at Weekend Confirmed right here: http://www.shacknews.com/tag/weekend-confirmed. If you’re not already a listener, give it a shot. We’re all big fans!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 53 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 joe_lmc @ 10/15/13 02:32 AM
I SAY THIS WITH ALL DUE RESPECT: "YOU GOT TO BE LITERALLY ******** IF YOU THINK NBA 2K14 LOOKS BETTER THAN NBA LIVE 14 PERIOD & THEIR TRAILORS AND SCREEN SHOTS. AND IM NOT SPEAKING TO THE/NO DISABLED WHEN I SAY ******** SO NO DISRESPECT AT ALL BUT C'MON BEING IN-DENIAL NBA 2K FANS(WHO WERE NBA LIVE FANS FIRST JUST UP UNTIL NBA LIVE 10 AND YOU FELT YOU WERE FORCED TO SWITCH SO THAT YOU CAN STILL PLAY A BASKETBALL GAME BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH NOW, YALL KNOW NBA 2K WILL NEVER COME CLOSE TO BEING BETTER THAN NBA LIVE. AND ANOTHER THING YOU NOTICE IS HOW QUIET NBA 2K IS THIS YEAR NOW THAT THEY HAVE COMPETITION THIS YEAR (& 2K ALREADY HAVE A GAME RELEASE AND THEY STILL NERVOUS ABOUT HOW NBA LIVE GONE SHUT THEM DOWN.THE ONLY THING EA SPORTS NEED TO DO IS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS MOMENT RIGHT HERE BY RELEASING TONS OF NEW INFO,GAME-PLAY,& MORE TRAILORS. ALSO NBA 2K14 IS DANG NEAR IDENTICAL TO NBA 2K13 ESPECIALLY THE GRAPHICS(NEARLY NO CHANGES WHAT SO EVER). NOW THIS COMPETITION THING IS ALL FUN & GAME PEOPLE SO DON'T TAKE IT TO THE HEART BUT EVERYBODY KNOW WHAT I SAID WAS ALL ABSOLUTELY TRUE & MOST(MOST!!) OF YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY DEEP DOWN. #Honesty #StayBLESSED

# 62 stillfeelme @ 10/15/13 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
That's pretty terrible logic man. All that was talked about for Elite was dribbling and your skills dictating shot success and you just need to feel it for yourself and when it was all said and done it felt like ****.
The Kyrie dribbling in 2K14 is nothing like they were touting in Elite 11. What part of my post is terrible logic? I think they will get the dribbling down and it will most likely be the highlight of the game. What have they talked about the most? Bounce Tek, Bounce Tek and more Bounce Tek. All the people that played with the dribbling demo seemed to like it and came away impressed. It isn't hard to tell that they focused on this aspect of the game. They motion captured the guy with arguably the best handles in the league and appear to have more signatures of other players TBD.

What they talked about in Elite doesn't mean much to me now because they have a whole new regime in 14. Elite was bad, real bad Michael Jackson. Elite was bad to the point where I don't think the Dev's knew how bad it was while making it, maybe they did but whatever I don't know. I actually think Scott O'Gallagher and the new producers are actually switching the thinking for basketball made by EA. Is it EA lol yeah but they are coming from a different stance this time rock bottom, build the foundation and add on.

The stick skills is a whole different topic which I didn't like in Elite and you noticed there is no stick skills mentioned in 14. Left sticks is moving, right sticks is dribbling and shooting is on the face button. There is some modifiers on the triggers that enable some signature stuff as well. Also to make this clear I had no intentions of getting Elite 11 but I wish I downloaded it now.

I say all of this but the dribbling means nothing to me if the gameplay isn't up to par realistic. I don't know what your standards are but my standards are pretty high. I am not sure they can meet my standards which is why I say they are 2-3 years from being a competitor IMO if EA doesn't screw it up.

# 63 Boilerbuzz @ 10/15/13 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jay
Real time physics was the new engine son.
You have no clue. Just stop. Elite was the Live engine what some new systems bolted on. Just because you read too much into marketing hype, doesn't make it fact.

# 64 TUSS11 @ 10/15/13 07:31 AM
Quote:
That's pretty terrible logic man. All that was talked about for Elite was dribbling and your skills dictating shot success and you just need to feel it for yourself and when it was all said and done it felt like ****.
Chill. Those are his expectations. I swear some of y'all come in here looking to shoot down anything that resembles optimism. It's like y'all have a seizure when anyone sounds the slightest bit hopeful.

# 65 frankwyte81 @ 10/15/13 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_lmc
I SAY THIS WITH ALL DUE RESPECT: "YOU GOT TO BE LITERALLY ******** IF YOU THINK NBA 2K14 LOOKS BETTER THAN NBA LIVE 14 PERIOD & THEIR TRAILORS AND SCREEN SHOTS. AND IM NOT SPEAKING TO THE/NO DISABLED WHEN I SAY ******** SO NO DISRESPECT AT ALL BUT C'MON BEING IN-DENIAL NBA 2K FANS(WHO WERE NBA LIVE FANS FIRST JUST UP UNTIL NBA LIVE 10 AND YOU FELT YOU WERE FORCED TO SWITCH SO THAT YOU CAN STILL PLAY A BASKETBALL GAME BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH NOW, YALL KNOW NBA 2K WILL NEVER COME CLOSE TO BEING BETTER THAN NBA LIVE. AND ANOTHER THING YOU NOTICE IS HOW QUIET NBA 2K IS THIS YEAR NOW THAT THEY HAVE COMPETITION THIS YEAR (& 2K ALREADY HAVE A GAME RELEASE AND THEY STILL NERVOUS ABOUT HOW NBA LIVE GONE SHUT THEM DOWN.THE ONLY THING EA SPORTS NEED TO DO IS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS MOMENT RIGHT HERE BY RELEASING TONS OF NEW INFO,GAME-PLAY,& MORE TRAILORS. ALSO NBA 2K14 IS DANG NEAR IDENTICAL TO NBA 2K13 ESPECIALLY THE GRAPHICS(NEARLY NO CHANGES WHAT SO EVER). NOW THIS COMPETITION THING IS ALL FUN & GAME PEOPLE SO DON'T TAKE IT TO THE HEART BUT EVERYBODY KNOW WHAT I SAID WAS ALL ABSOLUTELY TRUE & MOST(MOST!!) OF YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY DEEP DOWN. #Honesty #StayBLESSED
Do you even know what a sentence is? You put two periods and four commas in your 880 word ALL-CAPPED run-on sentence. C'mon son. Nobody can read that crap, it literally made my head hurt.

# 66 AusBot @ 10/15/13 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwyte81
Do you even know what a sentence is? You put two periods and four commas in your 880 word ALL-CAPPED run-on sentence. C'mon son. Nobody can read that crap, it literally made my head hurt.
He also never closed his quotation which pisses me off.

# 67 King_B_Mack @ 10/15/13 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
Chill. Those are his expectations. I swear some of y'all come in here looking to shoot down anything that resembles optimism. It's like y'all have a seizure when anyone sounds the slightest bit hopeful.
Man, go somewhere with this. I'm not worried about shooting down his optimism. I'm just pointing out that the logic of saying because they talked about something over and over doesn't mean it's going to be perfect which is what he's said a few times in the Live forums. It's ridiculous logic.

# 68 MarkWilliam @ 10/15/13 09:44 AM
Hearing him talk about team authentic defences was a good listen......

Thibs and the way the Bulls side screen and rolls.....if I see the Bulls playing ice defense on pick and roll and see the screen defender zoning low to take away the driving lane I will LOSE MY MIND! Haha...... as a Bulls user I would just LOVE to have the ability to play Bulls defense.....! Part of me thinks this might actually be possible with next gen capabilities and the in depth talk about how much focus was put into the screen and roll aspect of the game......

Also enjoyed hearing him talk about the rim and net physics..... sounds like they actually put a small amount of focus on making this good (FINALLY) in a Live game..... hopefully their idea of good rim/net physics is the right idea.......

DYING to see this stuff in action!

# 69 iverson_2k @ 10/15/13 09:50 AM
After hearing this podcast I'm actually excited more for this game and have high hopes. I think bringing in someone who has played professional basketball is a great move especially since he's a full time employee and not just some nba star who comes in for a few months and shares their thoughts. Also, when Scott said that he is a sim head just like everyone on these forums that made me more comfortable hearing what he had to say. He wants the game to be just as bad as we do. Obviously they can't put everything in the game this year, but he even said this is the foundation which they are going to build on for the future. He also said that he gets tons of emails asking for the gameplay footage, he says that he hears you guys and to just be patient. They are going to release it when the game is 100% to their liking. He confirmed that the game is dropping so no one should be worried, even 2k has only released a 5 sec trailer. When he said that he was playing the Thunder and then in the 2nd half the thunder started speeding up the tempo and feeding Durant that got me super hype, especially if the AI is as smart as they say they are. Finally, when he said that he put a smaller guard on Kobe and Kobe just started dominating that's the type of thing I want to see in the game. Oh yea, he said the ball and rim are completely physics based so he are going to get some great bounces. Cant wait till Nov 19!!!!

# 70 stillfeelme @ 10/15/13 10:32 AM
Quote:
Man, go somewhere with this. I'm not worried about shooting down his optimism. I'm just pointing out that the logic of saying because they talked about something over and over doesn't mean it's going to be perfect which is what he's said a few times in the Live forums. It's ridiculous logic.

Where is the terrible logic? Look at your post you responded to my post with statements that were not in my post talking about stick skills. I have seen the videos of the Bounce tek in action they have talked about this feature probably more than anything else in the game and they have shown this more than anything else. People who played with the Bounce tek demo came away impressed with it. They motion captured multiple NBA guards. I stand by what I said In my opinion this will be the best part of their game. So it isn't just what they talked about it is what they actually shown and what they talked about and others who have played with it.

Bounce Tek is to NBA Live as blades of grass is to Madden. This is disappointing if you are a football fan though. Just an FYI I joined this site at the time Elite was coming out so I know exactly what the Dev's were spewing at that time.

# 71 King_B_Mack @ 10/15/13 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Where is the terrible logic? Look at your post you responded to my post with statements that were not in my post talking about stick skills. I have seen the videos of the Bounce tek in action they have talked about this feature probably more than anything else in the game and they have shown this more than anything else. People who played with the Bounce tek demo came away impressed with it. They motion captured multiple NBA guards. I stand by what I said In my opinion this will be the best part of their game. So it isn't just what they talked about it is what they actually shown and what they talked about and others who have played with it.

Bounce Tek is to NBA Live as blades of grass is to Madden. This is disappointing if you are a football fan though. Just an FYI I joined this site at the time Elite was coming out so I know exactly what the Dev's were spewing at that time.
Believe me man, I know what you said, I read it already, no need to read it again. I got no issue with your opinions and expectations. As I said, I was simply pointing out that it was terrible logic to suggest that because they've talked about something over and over means they'll nail it.

Quote:
  • I am expecting them to nail the signature dribbling aspect of the game. They have talked about it too much to not nail this.
This is what you said. Seeing it in action, other people playing it and being impressed with it has nothing to do with the statement that "they have talked about it too much to not nail this." Talking about something repeatedly doesn't make it a working feature automatically like you were implying. Hell 2K wouldn't shut up about their ******* Insider and we see how that worked out.

That was really all I was pointing out. For the most part I agreed with your post, I just thought that was poor logic shown and voiced it.

# 72 stillfeelme @ 10/15/13 11:48 AM
Quote:
Believe me man, I know what you said, I read it already, no need to read it again. I got no issue with your opinions and expectations. As I said, I was simply pointing out that it was terrible logic to suggest that because they've talked about something over and over means they'll nail it.

This is what you said. Seeing it in action, other people playing it and being impressed with it has nothing to do with the statement that "they have talked about it too much to not nail this." Talking about something repeatedly doesn't make it a working feature automatically like you were implying. Hell 2K wouldn't shut up about their ******* Insider and we see how that worked out.

That was really all I was pointing out. For the most part I agreed with your post, I just thought that was poor logic shown and voiced it.

I look at it from this perspective. If EA is actually releasing features or information about a failed franchise then it is important. They hide any and all information related to this franchise since Elite. Those Madden gimmicks will not work in basketball because there is competition. This is their big tech breakthrough. You have to put it all together but they are talking about it the most and promoting it the most because they are the most confident in that part of the game.

# 73 NoTiCe_O @ 10/15/13 11:50 AM
For everyone asking about emotions here you go.. It's in, and seems like it's gotten a major focus. Especially with games like UFC using the ignite engine, because facial emotions is one of their touted features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiApBb6xAZU

I can't figure out for the life of me how to embed videos but this should do until I figure it out.

# 74 stillfeelme @ 10/15/13 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopin
What? 10char

That was a joke sort of but I meant it as this is what they are promoting so expect them to get it right this year in basketball. Not really a joke if you are a football fan though and expecting a big jump to next gen.

# 75 bigeastbumrush @ 10/15/13 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Hearing him talk about team authentic defences was a good listen......

Thibs and the way the Bulls side screen and rolls.....if I see the Bulls playing ice defense on pick and roll and see the screen defender zoning low to take away the driving lane I will LOSE MY MIND! Haha...... as a Bulls user I would just LOVE to have the ability to play Bulls defense.....! Part of me thinks this might actually be possible with next gen capabilities and the in depth talk about how much focus was put into the screen and roll aspect of the game......

Also enjoyed hearing him talk about the rim and net physics..... sounds like they actually put a small amount of focus on making this good (FINALLY) in a Live game..... hopefully their idea of good rim/net physics is the right idea.......

DYING to see this stuff in action!
If they were able to get variations to P&R defense into the game, it would be major.

Color me skeptical though. Just going by the timeframe. It just doesn't seem plausible. I don't ever recall teams being able to do that in a game before.

# 76 Boilerbuzz @ 10/15/13 12:02 PM
Quote:
I look at it from this perspective. If EA is actually releasing features or information about a failed franchise then it is important. They hide any and all information related to this franchise since Elite. Those Madden gimmicks will not work in basketball because there is competition. This is their big tech breakthrough. You have to put it all together but they are talking about it the most and promoting it the most because they are the most confident in that part of the game.
Then they are in trouble. Because if Bouncetek is their golden axe, it's nowhere near enough. Yes, I played with it. It was cool. Potentially. But even if it hits it's mark, it's nowhere near enough to make the game that much better. I still think that folks aren't reading between the lines on it. What's going to happen with responsiveness? I'll tell you now, the demo brought up some questions. So, yes, they are hanging their hats on this. But King is right, it's a bad assumption to assume they will nail it. They talked a lot about skill based shooting. Where'd that go? I said it back then - you can't balance a sports sim that way.

# 77 Boilerbuzz @ 10/15/13 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
Man you guys are crazy. I took his statement as if they are going to talk about that feature so much they better get it right not that because they are talking about it so much it will somehow make it the best feature ever.

So pumped for live and can't wait for what hip hop has in store for us.
Well, he hasn't denied that he was stating the latter. Actually reiterated it. So who is crazy again?

# 78 stillfeelme @ 10/15/13 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
Man you guys are crazy. I took his statement as if they are going to talk about that feature so much they better get it right not that because they are talking about it so much it will somehow make it the best feature ever.

So pumped for live and can't wait for what hip hop has in store for us.
My point exactly if you going to come out talking Bounce tek, this Bounce tek that.. uh they clearly spent some considerable development time on dribbling, enough to show it off at E3. It is not that serious though everyone has their own opinion but they could have took my words differently anyway no big deal. I would be shocked if they didn't nail dribbling I wouldn't trust them further past 14.

# 79 King_B_Mack @ 10/15/13 12:14 PM
Quote:
Honestly I don't see the difference. You say those Madden gimmicks, those are EA gimmicks. Seeing them pull the same NBA.com crap with ESPN and their next-gen videos for Madden just confirms for me exactly what I've been fearing and saying all along. The people in charge, making decisions at EA haven't changed. We have another talented development team working on Live with a vision for the future that we can at least kind of get behind for the franchise, but the same goofs are pulling the strings over there. Them talking about that same feature, their "big tech breakthrough" is the same as it always is, their buzzword or catchphrase to settle in your mind and sound catchy. Just like 'Go to moves' before it, 'no canned animations,' 'hot spots and quickstrike ball-handling,' 'NBA Live 365 and dynamic DNA,' 'freestyle playmaking,' I could go on. There's always a buzzword that they push like what they're doing now.

# 80 Gosens6 @ 10/15/13 12:14 PM
Am I the only one concerned that there has been absolutely NO talk about post play? Or big man play in general? EA has NEVER been able to get this right. It's essential to have good post play, both offensively and defensively in an NBA game.

I feel like they did nothing but focus on smaller, quicker guards. Hell, those are the only type of players they brought in for mo-cap. Sometimes I really don't understand what these developers are thinking. It's like they want to make an NBA game where guys can just pick it up, put some ankle breakers on their friends and only play a 2v2 game, guards vs. guards. Where's the love for the PFs and Cs!?

Maybe they'll surprise me, but i'm not holding my breath

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.