Home
Operation Sports News Post

The 50th (!) Episode of the Press Row Podcast is a one-on-one interview by host Rich Grisham (@richgrisham) with Madden 25 NFL designer Vic Lugo, one of the core gameplay leaders as the Madden franchise moves into the PS4/Xbox One generation. The conversation hits a lot of the fundamental aspects of what happens on the field, including locomotion, physics, blocking, controls, and how players interact with each other. It’s the kind of conversation you’ll hear nowhere else but the Press Row Podcast on Operation Sports.

Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Lastly, be sure to check out our friends at Weekend Confirmed right here: http://www.shacknews.com/tag/weekend-confirmed. If you’re not already a listener, give it a shot. We’re all big fans!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 49 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Game: Operation SportsReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 20 - View All
Operation Sports Videos
Member Comments
# 21 adub88 @ 10/17/13 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Video looks amazing no doubt. But please don't it man lol. Lets try to keep this one about the podcast and interview.
Lol, sorry I had to, go ahead and delete this post. Don't wanna de-rail the OG topic.

# 22 Dogslax41 @ 10/17/13 11:29 AM
If what he says about True Step is in fact true that would go a long way. FIFA represents momentum very well this year and it would be a welcomed addition to Madden. Only one problem. NONE OF THE VIDEOS HAVE SHOWN THIS AT ALL. NOT A SINGLE ONE. We have multiple gameplay videos at this point and right now his words are directly contradicted by what we have physically seen from their game.

# 23 dghustla @ 10/17/13 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
Lol, sorry I had to, go ahead and delete this post. Don't wanna de-rail the OG topic.
lol I'm not a mod, just a fan like you.

# 24 jpdavis82 @ 10/17/13 11:33 AM
lets get back on topic guys, that trailer has nothing to do with this interview. We need to see actual gameplay to be able to judge these games not trailers.

Now with that being said, how do you feel about what Victor said?

I personally feel like this game will be something you have to play to really appreciate it. I'm guessing casual fans will be disappointed, but hopefully this is a sign that they are trying to cater more towards the hardcore sim fans now.

# 25 adub88 @ 10/17/13 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
lets get back on topic guys, that trailer has nothing to do with this interview. We need to see actual gameplay to be able to judge these games not trailers.

Now with that being said, how do you feel about what Victor said?

I personally feel like this game will be something you have to play to really appreciate it. I'm guessing casual fans will be disappointed, but hopefully this is a sign that they are trying to cater more towards the hardcore sim fans now.
I agree and deleted my post. Now back to the interview. Like I said I'm just ready to see video at this point, lengthy gameplay video. From there, I think we can gauge how it might feel.

# 26 Dogslax41 @ 10/17/13 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
The trailer doesn't need to be discussed, but it does pertain to this interview. His comment was not to expect a big graphical jump, now if he meant only in relation to Madden then fine, but it certainly seems like he was trying to imply that next gen would not be a big graphical jump. 2K just bascially crushed that theory to dust. That is an massive jump from current gen and that is gameplay in the trailer not pre-rendered.

# 27 dghustla @ 10/17/13 11:42 AM
I hope that player sense impacts the game more than what he stated. Pointing out to blockers and being aware of the sidelines are nice and all but that is mostly cosmetic stuff. I want players to react to what's going on around them with a sense of purpose. I want to see linebackers take a few steps forward in play action after 3 str8 runs. I want to see players biting on double moves because they are reacting not physic in coverage. I want my LBs to come down on drag routes if we've been getting killed on them all game. I want guys on blocks to reach out with the free hand and try one last attempt to grab that ball carrier running by. I want to see guys with "high motor" expending all of their stamina on a few plays and chasing down ball carriers down the field.

On 3rd and 15 I shouldn't have to tell me defense to "play the pass" and drop in their zones. The Players should know these things and if my opponent runs a play action on the down it should be ignored.

Hopefully these things will be touched on in the AI trailer.

# 28 adub88 @ 10/17/13 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
The trailer doesn't need to be discussed, but it does pertain to this interview. His comment was not to expect a big graphical jump, now if he meant only in relation to Madden then fine, but it certainly seems like he was trying to imply that next gen would not be a big graphical jump. 2K just bascially crushed that theory to dust. That is an massive jump from current gen and that is gameplay in the trailer not pre-rendered.
Couldn't agree more. I really didn't want to post that video, but I felt compelled especially after listening to Vic in that interview.

# 29 kenlovin @ 10/17/13 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I haven't listened yet, but it will be the same regurgitated thing as before. "450 new (insert animation of your choice here)". Yet we see the same ones over and over. Or how momentum is supposed to matter. It is? Like when I hit the running back in the backfield, he's flat footed, yet goes into that ridiculous looking spinning animation as he's falling FORWARD for 8 yards? Momentum?

I'm fully expecting softballs from Rich. Rich is a great guy and I enjoy his game coverage, but he is really soft on the Madden guys because he's friends with them. I'm not counting on this being anything to get excited about.
Why even comment if you havent listened yet...

# 30 TeeDogg @ 10/17/13 12:02 PM
I like the direction gameplay is heading (CG) so if they are really improving and polishing it I'm fine with it. I'm just expecting it to look and animate better than CG and much better than the ESPN vids. If they can just give me that along with a more stable game and sliders I'll take it

# 31 poster @ 10/17/13 12:03 PM
I feel all developers/marketing people are liars in the gaming industry. Been around too long and hear it every year. I think the MLB The Show guys who visit are the only real trustworthy ones. EA Sports are clearly the worst culprits of this by far. I like it here, so I won't say much more about what I think of that.

I say all of this, as Vic's words mean nothing to me. He talked up this Infinity half arse crap for the last two years, and it has been a joke. Until I see realistic player movement, interaction between players and real tackling between players, I won't believe a thing. I want it to be good, but I know better.

This part concerns me:

Quote:
With new proprietary tools inside of Ignite, that are shared with FIFA, have the ability to create realistic run curves and acceleration curves and test them before they are implemented into the game. Had an adjustment phase where it looked perfect at one point but responsiveness didn't match what you are capable of as a player, so went back and modeled stutter steps and slow downs to be responsive, wasn't easy, but feels good at this point and once people get their hands on it, they won't want to go back.
We'll see, but I assume with their track record that they made it more responsive for casuals instead of making it more true to human life running and movements.

Anyways, real unedited gameplay is needed. I guess the ESPN nonsense is real gameplay, but I am looking for a camera filming it on screen so we can see it as we would play the game.

One last point. The lack of a graphical upgrade is laughable considering what else I saw today, and what I know I will see in March during the baseball game release.

# 32 Cowboy008 @ 10/17/13 12:13 PM
Can't take anything he says really serious I need to see actual gameplay.

# 33 Lexicon @ 10/17/13 12:40 PM
I found the interview to be very encouraging and reassuring to my thought of videos not mattering much. Even though I'm not down on the videos they've released so far, I've believe this whole time that we won't notice a huge leap until we get a controller in our hands. Graphically, there's not much further to go than what we got on gen 3 without it becoming a point-and-click adventure game. Anyone who thought that trailer at E3 with RGIII was real gameplay footage was kidding themselves. They'll believe an obvious CGI trailer is gameplay just because EA puts a thing up that says it's gameplay, but they won't believe a video uploaded by ESPN (given to them by EA) is not next-gen when it's obvious there are things different from gen 3. As for the other trailer that was show around the same time, the one with AP and RGIII, I believe the game WILL look that good... slowed down and zoomed in. That's just the way it is. We'll definitely be seeing a lot of screenshots and videos once the game comes out verifying this because of the new features on the PS4 and XBOX One

I look forward to the new run system, blocking, lighting, deeper commentary, and overall polish coming on November 15th. Color me optimistic, I guess

# 34 Lexicon @ 10/17/13 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
There isn't much further than we can go graphically? I think that next gen basketball video we saw today says you're wrong... Dead wrong.
It looked good, but that's not a huge jump from what 2K was doing to me. I think Madden stacks up similarly when you do side by side comparisons as far as graphical improvements go.

My main point about that was: This is not a PS1 blocky polygon to PS2 smooth polygon leap this time around.

# 35 Senator Palmer @ 10/17/13 12:49 PM
Sooooo, don't expect a huge graphical upgrade despite the fact that the very first blog they choose to release is dedicated to how good the game looks?

yeah... I guess that makes sense...

# 36 jpdavis82 @ 10/17/13 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
There isn't much further than we can go graphically? I think that next gen basketball video we saw today says you're wrong... Dead wrong.
That's not what Victor said, he said there WILL be some impressive things that we see especially in the future as the developers learn the capabilities of the hardware, but initially he feels that the focus of most developers will be on what can be done gameplay wise with the new tech and power at hand.

IF NBA 2k is the same gameplay wise as current gen and just a graphical upgrade, albeit impressive, I would say that we would be just as much of a let down too. The bottom line is we need to see gameplay footage of these games not just trailers before we get too excited/disappointed. My disappointment about Madden right now is based on the gameplay footage I saw even thought it wasn't very long, it was still actual gameplay.

# 37 Lexicon @ 10/17/13 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Sooooo, don't expect a huge graphical upgrade despite the fact that the very first blog they choose to release is dedicated to how good the game looks?

yeah... I guess that makes sense...
I think the game looks good. Can't tell you how to feel about it, but I have no qualms with what I've seen so far.

# 38 TyghtWork @ 10/17/13 12:54 PM
The look of Madden gen 3 wasn't the problem, it was the way the players moved and played. If that's fixed i'll be happy!!!!!!!!

# 39 friscob @ 10/17/13 12:57 PM
Not able to listen to the podcast right now. Any questions or details about improved AI. If the graphics stayed the same I wouldn't mind at all, just want to see the gameplay improved

# 40 Senator Palmer @ 10/17/13 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
I think the game looks good. Can't tell you how to feel about it, but I have no qualms with what I've seen so far.
The game has always looked good, but that's not the point. You can't choose to release as your first blog -- your first intro to the public touting your next gen product -- an entire in-depth blog on how advanced the visuals are compared to current gen and then turn around a month later saying their isn't going to be a huge leap after you get caught with your pants down behind the MNF videos. It's makes you look disingenious at best and calls to question everything else you're touting about the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.