Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

NBA Live 14 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien took some time to answer fan feedback today on Twitter. Below are the list of questions and answers. It's all about gameplay this week with Ultimate Team information coming next week.

Will the controls feel like NBA Live 10?

The controls are reminiscent of LIVE 10 but much deeper.

Is anyone going to buy your game after how amazing 2k14 looked?

As expected, 2K14 looked good. I'm curious to see how it translates to 5v5 gameplay.

When will we see another trailer?

You'll see a steady flow of content pulled directly from #NBALIVE14 gameplay from now until launch.

how will player tendencies effect how I play the game

In the coming weeks we'll breakdown how we're using Synergy Sports to drive player and team differentiation.

what can we expect out of nba live?

An authentic 5v5 gameplay experience that sets the foundation for the future of our basketball video games.

When are we gonna get more gameplay

Each week heading into launch.

Do you really think #NBALIVE14 has a chance over #NBA2K14 ,If so why?

Of course. To name a few - Our fresh take on 5v5 gameplay & commitment to connected consumer throughout the entire NBA season.

can we get some ultimate team info?

You'll see an Ultimate Team blog early next week!

what is it about live that makes it better than the other basketball games

Authentic player responsiveness and Signature Styles... More to come.

will we see 5v5 gameplay from the players camera angle before release?

Absolutely.

were the screenshots that you dropped a further along build than the gameplay that you guys showed?

Nope, they are all captured from the same build.

what is something NBA Live has now that it didn't have before ?? What makes it standout ?

Depth of Signature Styles, player movement, team differentiation, control and authentic responsiveness.

Can you give any specifics on how the new consoles made things possible you could not do in the past?

Memory and processing power to provide more individuality to the players in-game.

I was hoping on getting nba live 14 cuz I always played live, but ur trailer set me back

I would encourage you to not judge everything off of one trailer and form your opinion once you've played the game.

Who are the commentators for #NBALIVE14?

We'll be announcing our ESPN talent roster shortly.

Can we practice plays at all? Can you tell us more about the specific playbooks each team has?

Every team has their own authentic playbook. We'll be updating throughout the year as coaches change their schemes.

post play. How is it in Live 14? Post play has been lost in previous bball games

We think you'll be pleasantly surprised with post play in #NBALIVE14

in the future trailers, are we going to see more gameplay on the defensive side is the ball?

It's tough to showcase defense and four-man rotations in a highlight video but we'll do our best moving forward.

overall ...was the response to the trailer expected ?

We realize we have to prove ourselves & one trailer won't do that. I think the more you see, the more you'll like.

Passing and AI awareness have you guys been improving in that area

We give you more manual control with passing than we ever have.

I can't wait im glad EA is back & better than ever.

I think you guys will really enjoy using your favorite players' Signature Styles. Different moves, speeds, and reactions.

will there be different alley animations

Yes.

PF and Centers that don't shoot 3s, will they be more around the rim instead of being at the 3pt line?

Yes, player tendencies driven by advanced analytics will dictate player behavior on the court.

the in-game fans in 2K suck thats something you guys always had better will you still keep that a high level like previous yrs?

Yup, we put a great amount of focus into what our crowds look like and their behavior in each unique arena setting.

We wanted to focus this week on gameplay as it seems that's what you guys want to talk about. We'll share UT next week.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gosens6 @ 10/21/13 04:09 PM
I just want to know if there will be some sort of Franchise mode in this years game. Doubt it will be answered, but worth a shot.

# 2 lgxjames @ 10/21/13 04:09 PM
Is presentation a big focus for this years game?

# 3 yungflo @ 10/21/13 04:27 PM
This guy just dodged questions

# 4 mike24forever @ 10/21/13 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
This guy just dodged questions
Considering the Q & A was over Twitter (140 character limit), I thought the answers were straight forward.

# 5 bigeastbumrush @ 10/21/13 05:10 PM
Not sure why this guy decides to do a Q&A to just sit there and be so vague.

The only thing I gathered was about the build of the footage we saw so that should put that debate to rest.

# 6 Gosens6 @ 10/21/13 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Not sure why this guy decides to do a Q&A to just sit there and be so vague.

The only thing I gathered was about the build of the footage we saw so that should put that debate to rest.
I don't think anyone should have expected full, detailed and descriptive answers. These Q&As never amount to anything except for the devs answering questions we already know, or them answering people praising the game.

When it comes to the real, tough questions, they either ignore them, or say stay tuned for more info.

This is with every company, not just the Live dev team either. I always feel these are pointless for the real hardcore sim gamers.

# 7 Gosens6 @ 10/21/13 05:16 PM
Also, this made me cringe...

Quote:
PF and Centers that don't shoot 3s, will they be more around the rim instead of being at the 3pt line?

Yes, player tendencies driven by advanced analytics will dictate player behavior on the court.
I can count a handful of big men that can stretch defenses out to the 3 point line. I hope those are also represented well, and they're not just "more around the rim" because that's where casual basketball fans think they should be.

# 8 bigeastbumrush @ 10/21/13 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I don't think anyone should have expected full, detailed and descriptive answers. These Q&As never amount to anything except for the devs answering questions we already know, or them answering people praising the game.

When it comes to the real, tough questions, they either ignore them, or say stay tuned for more info.

This is with every company, not just the Live dev team either. I always feel these are pointless for the real hardcore sim gamers.
I don't think anyone was expecting anything out of the world as far as responses go.

But to sit there and give the company line on every answer makes me say why not just release a statement rather than this.

# 9 Gosens6 @ 10/21/13 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
I don't think anyone was expecting anything out of the world as far as responses go.

But to sit there and give the company line on every answer makes me say why not just release a statement rather than this.
Because they're taking this opportunity to get people to talk about the game on twitter. To try and get some buzz through social media.

They never intended to answer any of the tough questions. They answered what most of us already knew and are moving on, happy they got some noise about the game out there.

# 10 Championships @ 10/21/13 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Pretty pointless. Lots of the typical EA wording which translates to a lot of nothing
Just curious, what is "typical EA wording"?

# 11 CookNBA03 @ 10/21/13 05:48 PM
Should've asked if they revamped dynasty mode. 2K hasn't put out info on that yet but someone that works with Live a few months ago hinted at dynasty mode being completely sick this year and should be a joy to play.

# 12 yaboythecib @ 10/21/13 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Because they're taking this opportunity to get people to talk about the game on twitter. To try and get some buzz through social media.

They never intended to answer any of the tough questions. They answered what most of us already knew and are moving on, happy they got some noise about the game out there.
what do we actually know about the game......just to ask.....i didn't know they were goin back to live 10 control scum did u....

# 13 strawberryshortcake @ 10/21/13 05:55 PM
I realize there is a 140 character limit, and it's twitter based. Since I don't have a twitter account, If it were up to me, the following are some of the questions that I would have asked:

1. Considering NBA Live will be a "3 year plan," what is the likelihood of an NBA Live 15 and 16 if the sales of NBA Live 14 is terribly inadequate, less than 100,000 copies sold? Cautious skeptism.
2. Will there be a playable demo? In other words, if there will not be a demo, how is one suppose to play the game for themselves to form a proper judgement? Are we suppose to buy the game at $60 dollars to form a judgement?
3. Why are the animations so herky jerky? Is EA purposely removing sequential animation motion captured frames?
4. Animations, like Disney and Pixar, are composed of sequential frames. If motion capture technology is used to capture NBA Live 14 animations and signature style animations, why do characters have a robotic herky jerky mannerism? Is EA Sports purposely modifying the motion capture? Is EA Sports removing sequential frames of the motion captures? Say capturing Lebron James dunking requires 20 frames, is EA Sports cutting down the motion capture to 10 frames, resulting in a herky jerky animation?
4. Will NBA Live 15 remove the "hunchback-ness" of the players?

# 14 TreyIM2 @ 10/21/13 06:02 PM
Uhh, authentic. EA has been KILLING me with that word for the last how many years when it comes to speaking on their sports gaming franchises. Kill that buzz word, EA.

# 15 Behindshadows @ 10/21/13 06:17 PM
They've used the word authentic for the past 8 years this generation. And each game they've released have never been near it. Madden, NCAA, FN series, or Live...not even the NHL.

Mainly because it's been plagued with poor art design around player body structures and animations on movements.

Like someone said above it's basically EA wording, I did a video about that recently about them making things sound good, only for it to produce bad.

And Sean is a cool guy and a family man...I know he's only doing what his job wants and PR was probably all over his shoulder with clause restrictions from saying anything referring to the actually gameplay of the game that mattered.

No matter what questions we asked that would give us true insight on the title, the answer would have been skipped or ignored.

He did answer the question on the build, and with that said....no good!!!!

I was hoping he would have said that trailer was an old build from summer or something....But if that's final product..it makes me sad as a fan of NBA Live series, because I wanted more out of them.

I don't post anymore often, due to thread getting hijacked with the wrong post. But as a fan of their series. Seems like nothing has been done effort wise over the last 4 years.

(One more thing: The Comment about you have to play the game, yet there will be no demo.)

In other words buy it for $60 and if you hate it, trade it back for $25 at Gamestop....

Peace

# 16 yaboythecib @ 10/21/13 06:20 PM
I will be purchasing both game..... Why cuz i been playing NBA 2k since 2k11 every year NBa 2k Control hasn't got much better over the year. u lose the ball oddly. u can bounce the ball off your teamate feet but it don't happen to the CPU. Rebounding really havent got any better...u could have the position and u still won't get the board Everybody as butter fingers cant hold on to the ball... N E way My point is that i don't think those annoying bugs will go away with a next gen makeover. So don't go around being bias and think 2k14 doesnt have problems. Yea NBA live 14 is no where on 2k level on graphic's... But a pretty game doesn't make a great game....i think NBA live 14 got alot to offer hardcore Basketball lovers....Basketball lovers Not Gamers.. Rising star,Ultimate Team,crowd Atmosphere, and if u played live 10 and NBa live 14 is using the same control scam. i see no reason why u won't enjoy Live 14....That all im saying don't knock it till u try it....make your decision when u play the game....

# 17 Gramps91 @ 10/21/13 06:26 PM
I'm not having high expectations for this game but am curious and looking forward to what they will put out. I'm really hoping they do well with the franchise.

# 18 Hassan Darkside @ 10/21/13 06:27 PM
The Honest Interview (Translated through the eyes of a skeptic who refuses to give EA the benefit of the doubt for anything in sports games)

NBA Live 14 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien took some time to answer fan feedback today on Twitter. Below are the list of questions and the answers he really meant to say.

Will the controls feel like NBA Live 10?

The controls are the same but different.

Is anyone going to buy your game after how amazing 2k14 looked?

The trailer was very good looking but I doubt the game will play that way. We here at EA Sports never make trailers that make the game look better than it actually is.

When will we see another trailer?

After our first botched trailer announcement, I will not commit to when you'll see another trailer.

how will player tendencies effect how I play the game

We'll tell you once you lock in your preorders. GO PREORDER NOW.

what can we expect out of nba live?

A rough draft and what you would come to expect from an EA game at the beginning of their 3 year plan. Minus the basketball court in a deserted warehouse.

When are we gonna get more gameplay

I will not commit to a timeframe, but hopefully each week until launch. Starting maybe the week after the week after next. Just in case it's so bad we scare our customers away. Again.

Do you really think #NBALIVE14 has a chance over #NBA2K14 ,If so why?

I am legally obligated to say yes if I want to keep my job.

can we get some ultimate team info?

They'll be a blog about it next week because the best way for us to build hype is through words on a screen, not visuals.

what is it about live that makes it better than the other basketball games

I can't think of anything to be honest so I'm going to say the same thing the 2k devs would say if posed the same question. Maybe I'll think of something else later.

will we see 5v5 gameplay from the players camera angle before release?

This is a last resort. I get the feeling we'll be at a last resort pretty soon.

were the screenshots that you dropped a further along build than the gameplay that you guys showed?

Nope, the game and graphics haven't improved.

what is something NBA Live has now that it didn't have before ?? What makes it standout ?

The same thing that we said about every NBA Live game for the last 5 years. We actually think we put it in this years.

Can you give any specifics on how the new consoles made things possible you could not do in the past?

Memory and processing power to provide us the ability to do everything NBA 2k has been doing for the past 8 years.

I was hoping on getting nba live 14 cuz I always played live, but ur trailer set me back

JUST PREORDER THE GAME DAMMIT.

Who are the commentators for #NBALIVE14?

There's a pretty good chance it's the same people you scream "shut the **** up" to when you're watching an ESPN broadcast. Prepare your mute buttons.

Can we practice plays at all? Can you tell us more about the specific playbooks each team has?

I'm going to pretend that first question doesn't exist. And no, I can't tell you anymore other than each team will have a playbook.

post play. How is it in Live 14? Post play has been lost in previous bball games

I think that your expectations will be set so low for #NBALIVE14 that you might just walk away impressed. If you preorder the game. And buy it. And play it.

in the future trailers, are we going to see more gameplay on the defensive side is the ball?

No. But you should preorder the game.

overall ...was the response to the trailer expected ?

We realize we have to prove ourselves but we hope that you have a few beers in you by the time the next trailer hits so it'll look better to you.

Passing and AI awareness have you guys been improving in that area

We used to make it so you could pass with just one button, but now that we see that NBA 2k is using the analog stick, we're going to copy that but make it a little different, for the worse.

I can't wait im glad EA is back & better than ever.

#StuffNobodySays

will there be different alley animations

Yes. One hand and two hand passes.

Yes. Maybe.

the in-game fans in 2K suck thats something you guys always had better will you still keep that a high level like previous yrs?

Yup, we put more effort in what's going on off the court than what's going on on the court.

We wanted to focus this week on gameplay as it seems that trying to make the game look better through trailers isn't making the game look better.

# 19 LingeringRegime @ 10/21/13 06:43 PM
I want to believe. But, it is just like the boy who cried wolf.

# 20 bateman11 @ 10/21/13 06:46 PM
Really nothing to take from this interview, but it's twitter based, so no surprise there.

Looking forward to seeing more out of this game this week. IMHO, Anyone who has ever liked the Live series should feel the same. I think people forget that even though this game won't be the best on the shelves, it's going to bring a completely different experience--And if it's even relatively playable, that is a good thing.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.