Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

GameSpot has posted the first gameplay footage from the PlayStation 4 version of NBA 2K14. Check it out and post your thoughts!

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 321 wordtobigbird @ 10/26/13 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Do you know what we mean by "looks the same?" It means the same as CG. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Tap Taptalking away from my iPhone 5.... C
You do realize you SEEING the game you cannot tell how it PLAYS..

Every gameplay impressions I've heard said that the players FEEL differently. They feel like actual 200 lb athletes and have momentum and what not. Seems like an upgrade from current gen and that will never translate to the EYE.

# 322 Boilerbuzz @ 10/27/13 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilteapot
LOL at the other thread about chris smoove, that guy was so butthurt. If people complain about ANYTHING in the game, there's always someone automatically coming to 2k's defense saying "IT'S A MISTAKE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT REALLY HAPPENS!!!" You people aren't 2k reps so stop acting like someone made fun of your mother when they criticize something about the game. And don't say "It's only with stupid criticisms", no, Smoove had legitimate criticism about the pick and rolls and you decide to blindly defend it. Besides he even said he had to see more gameplay to come to a decision so how about you people calm your jets and accept the fact that a game is a game and games will have mistakes that dont need you to constantly come to their defense as to how it's actually an intentional mistake.
What is the point of this post? First, why are taking issue with folks that disagree with criticisms? Secondly, what makes you think you have the right to tell people what they can and can't talk about? As long as it's a public forum and it doesn't violate the ToS, folks can say what they want to who they choose. Smoove can have legit criticisms. And folks can have legit rebuttals to them. If you want to accuse folks of being 2K reps, then lets say Smoove is being paid by EA and you are an EA rep (or should I say a Smoove rep). It goes both ways.

You are right - every game will have issues. And they are discussed pretty extensively here on OS. These useless attempts at muting go both ways. If a thread starts up with a complaint, then it's fair game. End of story.

As for NG gameplay *looking like* CG, again - as a fan of the gameplay, no way in hell would I want to to BE that different. It's basketball. Basketball doesn't change. Will you complainers not watch the NBA this year - because I'm 100% it'll look the same as it did last year. And the year before that. And so on.

# 323 lilteapot @ 10/27/13 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
What is the point of this post? First, why are taking issue with folks that disagree with criticisms? Secondly, what makes you think you have the right to tell people what they can and can't talk about? As long as it's a public forum and it doesn't violate the ToS, folks can say what they want to who they choose. Smoove can have legit criticisms. And folks can have legit rebuttals to them. If you want to accuse folks of being 2K reps, then lets say Smoove is being paid by EA and you are an EA rep (or should I say a Smoove rep). It goes both ways.

You are right - every game will have issues. And they are discussed pretty extensively here on OS. These useless attempts at muting go both ways. If a thread starts up with a complaint, then it's fair game. End of story.

As for NG gameplay *looking like* CG, again - as a fan of the gameplay, no way in hell would I want to to BE that different. It's basketball. Basketball doesn't change. Will you complainers not watch the NBA this year - because I'm 100% it'll look the same as it did last year. And the year before that. And so on.
I never told people they couldn't talk about anything, I just said there's an irrational amount of outrage towards people with criticisms about the game, typically in the form of snarky and unnecessary remarks. It hasn't happened to me but I've seen it happen here too much.

# 324 lilteapot @ 10/27/13 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMAN OF 5TEELx
I see your Chris video and raise you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duKd...e_gdata_player

He was there...he played it...to me sounds like he knows what he's talking about more than the other guy...but in the end, I will hold judgement until I play it myself Nov. 22...all I can say about seeing a video without being extremely presumptuous, is that it looks gorgeous...
well yeah, but it's not like chris smoove claimed the game was crap, he said he needed to see more gameplay.

# 325 MarvinOida @ 10/27/13 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
You do realize you SEEING the game you cannot tell how it PLAYS..

Every gameplay impressions I've heard said that the players FEEL differently. They feel like actual 200 lb athletes and have momentum and what not. Seems like an upgrade from current gen and that will never translate to the EYE.
I've felt that before with current gen. I just needed to adjust the rosters.

I would love to know who said that momentum thing though. Reliable sources would be great. Cause if it's really that in stock, that's good.

# 326 wordtobigbird @ 10/27/13 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
I've felt that before with current gen. I just needed to adjust the rosters.

I would love to know who said that momentum thing though. Reliable sources would be great. Cause if it's really that in stock, that's good.

Lol..sliders do NOT effect the physics at all. You are just slowing the player movement/animation down. You may feel like you are creating that feeling but hands down once you play 2k14 next gen you will realize the difference. There is a new engine. Player movement is different, nothing sliders could recreate. Do you play Fifa?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/25...a-2k14-footage

# 327 VDusen04 @ 10/27/13 10:38 AM
Quote:
As with everything, I think the "looks like" line is open for debate. I don't think people are using that line as a means of saying, "Oh man, it looks like it plays a great game of basketball! I wanted something different!"

Instead, I think there's just some folks out there who, rationally or irrationally, were expecting to be blown away from gameplay improvements that matched the graphical improvements. For instance, maybe some people were expecting next-level fluidity that made current generation branching animations look prehistoric. To focus on a common example thrown out there thus far, maybe they were expecting there to be an incredible looking side shuffle and spotup animation from Klay Thompson instead of watching him jog all funky to the corner and half turn to face the crowd randomly.

And I do not say that to criticize the next gen 2K. I just think that might be more what people are referring to, as opposed to having a problem with the general idea of it playing a good game of basketball. 2K plays good basketball, but there's still so many big and small things that can be doen to make it look even better gameplay-wise. And maybe full gameplay videos will reveal a lot of those cool things.

# 328 spankdatazz22 @ 10/27/13 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Instead, I think there's just some folks out there who, rationally or irrationally, were expecting to be blown away from gameplay improvements that matched the graphical improvements. For instance, maybe some people were expecting next-level fluidity that made current generation branching animations look prehistoric. To focus on a common example thrown out there thus far, maybe they were expecting there to be an incredible looking side shuffle and spotup animation from Klay Thompson instead of watching him jog all funky to the corner and half turn to face the crowd randomly.
I'd say these raised expectations were irrational, period. If someone hyped themselves up to believe they were going to get some transformational experience when there was no evidence that would be the case, that's on them imo. There isn't a next gen game out there that completely blows away what's come before it. Gone are the days when launch systems came with a Mario 64, a Halo, etc. As each game generation has advanced, the differences between what came before it aren't as noticeable. It's been said many times - going from Atari/Intellivision to [whatever in between] was huge. The jump from SNES/Genesis to Nintendo 64/Dreamcast/PS1 was huge. The jump from those to PS2/Xbox were noticeable, but there really wasn't a transformative launch title that came with either of those systems. Same when the jump to the 360/PS3 occurred - no generation-defining experiences at launch.

So it's silly imo to expect that this time around. I haven't seen a single next gen game that makes people sit back and say "THAT'S something I've never seen". The racing games, the shooters, etc. - none are what people would call super-impressive. If anything many people are saying NBA2K14 represents the largest jump from a current gen game to a next gen game. So to be disappointed that it's not some transformative experience when it's likely 2K may be the one next gen game that non-fans will buy just to show off their system... is unrealistic imo.

# 329 wordtobigbird @ 10/27/13 11:14 AM
I still don't see how gameplay can look different. All you can tell from watching videos is graphics and animations. Game play requires actually playing the game, period..

When they changed the controls the gameplay changed dramatically but in the videos it was still a crossover to a layup. You couldn't tell the gameplay was different.

# 330 VDusen04 @ 10/27/13 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I'd say these raised expectations were irrational, period. If someone hyped themselves up to believe they were going to get some transformational experience when there was no evidence that would be the case, that's on them imo. There isn't a next gen game out there that completely blows away what's come before it. Gone are the days when launch systems came with a Mario 64, a Halo, etc. As each game generation has advanced, the differences between what came before it aren't as noticeable. It's been said many times - going from Atari/Intellivision to [whatever in between] was huge. The jump from SNES/Genesis to Nintendo 64/Dreamcast/PS1 was huge. The jump from those to PS2/Xbox were noticeable, but there really wasn't a transformative launch title that came with either of those systems. Same when the jump to the 360/PS3 occurred - no generation-defining experiences at launch.

So it's silly imo to expect that this time around. I haven't seen a single next gen game that makes people sit back and say "THAT'S something I've never seen". The racing games, the shooters, etc. - none are what people would call super-impressive. If anything many people are saying NBA2K14 represents the largest jump from a current gen game to a next gen game. So to be disappointed that it's not some transformative experience when it's likely 2K may be the one next gen game that non-fans will buy just to show off their system... is unrealistic imo.
Right, which is why I said "rationally or irrationally". Still, I think it's a funny spot for gamers to be in. I know this is not truly the case, but it kind of feels like some people would prefer if 2K were completely insulated in this case. That is, if they provide something incredible, everyone should praise. Yet, if an aspect of their next gen game doesn't seem too incredible, then we all must refrain from any sort of naysay because it's silly to expect a big jump from one generation to the next. At times I'm struggling to understand whether people should or shouldn't be excited about next gen 2K.

Quote:
I still don't see how gameplay can look different. All you can tell from watching videos is graphics and animations. Game play requires actually playing the game, period..

When they changed the controls the gameplay changed dramatically but in the videos it was still a crossover to a layup. You couldn't tell the gameplay was different.
For some, I think that might be a vocabulary or semantics issue. For instance, when I say gameplay, sometimes I'm referring to things like when a team chooses to pick & roll and how an opponent defends it. But I admit I also sometimes use "gameplay" to refer to what the game looks like in action. So, to go back to the Klay Thompson example, when he twirls in the corner, I view that as part of how the game plays, so to speak.

# 331 moe242324 @ 10/27/13 02:26 PM
Quote:

exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post.

# 332 MarvinOida @ 10/27/13 02:43 PM
Quote:
Lol..sliders do NOT effect the physics at all. You are just slowing the player movement/animation down. You may feel like you are creating that feeling but hands down once you play 2k14 next gen you will realize the difference. There is a new engine. Player movement is different, nothing sliders could recreate. Do you play Fifa?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/25...a-2k14-footage
Notice how I say "ROSTERS" not "SLIDERS"

Not knocking on NG, but it looks like a lot of the CG gameplay will be on NG, which is a good thing, it's a base. You can't judge on my statement as well since we both haven't played the game, the best we can do is just see and make observations. It's Year 1, I'm not expecting a MEGA upgrade in gameplay, it's just fine tuning CG and adding/adjusting modes IMO. Again, isn't bad for Year 1.

# 333 recklesscognition @ 10/27/13 06:27 PM
If you really want this game to pop on day one here is what I suggest. For the night preceding the day you will unbox and play NBA2k14 on next gen, watch an NBA game on a shoddy internet stream. Do not watch any HD sports the day before! If you do this, you will be blown away when you play the 1st game of NBA2k14, no matter what the graphics end up like.

# 334 Trilluminary @ 10/27/13 07:16 PM
this may help some people.because i was like most not all too impressed by the footage. however a friend of mine who got to play at a conference a couple weeks ago, he said the gameplay doesn't translate from viral clips. he said seeing the lightning, and textures in full 1080 and 60 fps was truly the graphical highlight of the conference in terms of next gen power and a majority of the managers are not sports guys

# 335 hesko @ 10/27/13 10:28 PM
after watching some real nba highlights, i can't help to wonder which of these two new physics engines will allow me to crab dribble through double teams? within reason of course. i guess i'll have to wait and see.

# 336 Primo585 @ 10/28/13 12:06 AM
Lol I think it's funny, I haven't been on here in a couple days and there are still people talking about the gameplay from 4 possessions again lololol this game is gonna be ridiculous when it comes out, I can't believe we r soo close now!!!! If you don't like what u see then don't buy it lol writing about how u feel over and over isn't gonna make them magically upgrade the gameplay even more to your liking lol these guys

# 337 Boilerbuzz @ 10/28/13 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISports
Ugh, the whole pick n roll thing is very disappointing.

And Bosh being as fast as Lebron...wow...embarrassing and unacceptable.
Frankly, I think he's full of it with the speed thing. Lebron seemed to be creating quite a bit of separation. But, no matter. We'll see when it comes out.

# 338 The 24th Letter @ 10/28/13 02:49 PM
This would be my response to Smoove. (Not the best example, but the plays start around 2:00 in)..not every pick is set directly on a man....some are set at angles depending on the set and it's on ball handler to complete the play...

http://youtu.be/7rMAlzOeEKw

Like I said, if Smoove wants to argue the CPUs awareness in taking the pick, I could see that, but it's pretty clear to me the play was for LBJ to take UDs pick for an inside lane..

# 339 youvalss @ 10/28/13 07:49 PM
There's something about the reflections and floor that looks so real. Never seen realer reflections in a basketball game (not sure if that's the exact AAA real floor color, but it doesn't matter).

I think they took a bit different approach than with 2K6/2K7. Back then it was more about showing off the new technology (2K7's reflections, sweat, cloths physics etc.). That's why some things seems exaggerated and were toned down in 2K8). This time around, it's about making it look real. Doesn't matter if the technology allows them more extreme reflections, sweat or any other effect/texture. It's probably toned down a bit to make it look as real as possible.

# 340 Sundown @ 10/28/13 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
There's something about the reflections and floor that looks so real. Never seen realer reflections in a basketball game (not sure if that's the exact AAA real floor color, but it doesn't matter).

I think they took a bit different approach than with 2K6/2K7. Back then it was more about showing off the new technology (2K7's reflections, sweat, cloths physics etc.). That's why some things seems exaggerated and were toned down in 2K8). This time around, it's about making it look real. Doesn't matter if the technology allows them more extreme reflections, sweat or any other effect/texture. It's probably toned down a bit to make it look as real as possible.
The technology also allows them to do subtle effects that actually make things look more real. I do think they could pump up oily skin reflections on players and have it look even more real. We don't see many of the harsh reflections that show up under arena lights from certain camera angles.

The old technology did allow certain angles to look more real than later games, but at other angles the effects looked artificial.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.