Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

If you are looking for more information on MyGM, FranchisePlay.me has posted a new 10 minute interview with Senior Producer Erick Boensich detailing the mode a bit in-depth. You can watch it above you here!

Also there is a new hands-on impressions article from Bleacher Report of NBA 2K14 next-gen. If you haven't yet, check out our hands-on impressions as well and be sure to read through our report on yesterday's press event for NBA 2K14 next-gen.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Number999 @ 10/24/13 03:49 PM
Really don't get some of your guys issue with this. Saying that all you wanna do is have a normal career mode and just play games, that's what 2k has been giving you for like what, the past 3 2ks? Tons of people (myself included) thought that Association mode was getting boring to death, and now they make changes so that you can't pay Brandon Jennings a max 7-year deal and if you don't like him, just brush it to the side. I'm happy that changes were made, and good to see that they're progressing in the Franchise mode direction. Very much looking forward to this.

# 62 Sundown @ 10/24/13 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I understand what your saying and I admit I said that without watching the entire video, Ill just hold my thoughts until we get all the info about this mode, I can see the direction 2k is going and if everything works it should be a good thing, Its just hard to forget 2ks history when it comes to ai logic in association mode.
I'm apprehensive about that as well. It may be better since they've obviously done little work on the old association, and I empathize with people who want to fix the AI rotations and trade logic by managing multiple teams.

They should at least allow a "commissioner override" that allows you to force trades and reject them between teams in the absence of real 30 team control.

# 63 LingeringRegime @ 10/24/13 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
I would really wish people would stop dogging my man DeMarcus Cousins, it's a new season lol. New ownership new direction new everything. Nah seriously though, I appreciate 2k's willingness to always to make things authentic as possible.
If DeMarcus matures this year will we see personality updates? I wonder.

# 64 bigeastbumrush @ 10/24/13 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
It's a good idea. In fact, it's an amazing idea. Real GMs deal with this every day, and folks who follow their organizations closely know this is what it means to manage an association with all it's intricacies. If you just want to play ball, there's quick games. All the ball you want. No cause and effect.

Also I think they said you can actually turn some of the stuff off and just have a boring regular season.
Sounds like you're trying to convince me why I should like it.

I don't.

In any sports genre, there has been a weird sort of fun side to losing. Getting a high draft pick, watching your team develop players, signing the right free agent, turning things around, etc. If I'm the Charlotte Bobcats, I'm trying to build a team over seasons. We're not going to be a playoff team right out the gate.

Now, if I happen to answer a few questions not to 2K's programmed liking or if my team is losing money, I get fired and have to pick another team? That's bogus.

I feel like I'd be playing in 2K's controlled environment, not my own.

It is what it is.

Some will love it. Others won't.

But if I don't like it, trust me there's a reason for it.

# 65 VDusen04 @ 10/24/13 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number999
Really don't get some of your guys issue with this. Saying that all you wanna do is have a normal career mode and just play games, that's what 2k has been giving you for like what, the past 3 2ks? Tons of people (myself included) thought that Association mode was getting boring to death, and now they make changes so that you can't pay Brandon Jennings a max 7-year deal and if you don't like him, just brush it to the side. I'm happy that changes were made, and good to see that they're progressing in the Franchise mode direction. Very much looking forward to this.
I'd say, not all change is good change. Which does not mean all these changes are bad. I just do not believe the people clamoring for Association improvements must automatically accept any additions. It may be as simple as folks not viewing these changes as an improvement.

There's an Association wishlist that's been floating around this forum for the past month or so (likely longer). I'd be curious to see how those suggestions relate to 2K's new direction in this regard. My guess is the wishlist had more to do with true real life improvements, like bringing the D-League back, and less with implementing our MyPlayer as general manager.

# 66 Sundown @ 10/24/13 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'm with your general idea here. I do believe, however, that people setting their lineups to mimic real life is about as sim as it gets, whether computer data makes video game versions of real life players upset or not.

But again, I'm with you on the rest of your post. I think the issue here is abilities have been removed, as opposed to just being relegated as "on or off" functions. I'm personally holding out for information as to whether it's going to be possible to edit other team's players in Associations. If not, that may kind of compound the issue for me. It does not sound promising at this point in that regard.

Yeah, I suppose it'll depend on the multiple MyPlayer front. I guess I was operating under their recent push to allow just one single MyPlayer, almost as an avatar of sorts, for all modes. At least allowing us to create a separate MyPlayer for MyGM (Joe Dumars) and being able to hire a completely accurate coaching staff would be a push in the right direction.
I agree in regards to rotations as well. I really do hope they open things up next year and allow more tweaking and modifying.

I also think they should try to leverage STATS data for rotations and trades in association as an option. I would love different options for syncing to the real NBA, at least for the first season, ie. match trade for trade on their dates, vs always sync to latest trade, and with some hybrid of both once you progress past the current real season. Same goes for injuries and rotations.

Basically some version of NBA Today meshed with Association and NBA Live Rewind.

# 67 LingeringRegime @ 10/24/13 03:57 PM
Thought I would post this here, it is posted in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller
For those curious about MyGM mode, know this. I only covered about 5% of what this mode is at the press event. This was a bigger media event, one where a large number of the attendees aren't exactly highly interested in the meat and potatoes of a mode like this. I simply provided an overview of what our philosophy was.

We'll be going into MUCH more detail (you know I will take care of you guys here) on what we've done in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

The takeaway you should have right now is MyGM is Association on steroids. Multi-user had to take a backseat for a minute while we rebuilt the entire foundation of how a franchise mode works. I assure you, this is all for the greater good. Leftos and I will make sure you're all happy at the end of the day.

SimBaller

P.S. For those who aren't into the concept of interacting with staff, players, etc., a Season mode (with variable season lengths) IS available so you can just focus on playing games and moving players around where you see fit.

# 68 cthurt @ 10/24/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
I'm apprehensive about that as well. It may be better since they've obviously done little work on the old association, and I empathize with people who want to fix the AI rotations and trade logic by managing multiple teams.

They should at least allow a "commissioner override" that allows you to force trades and reject them between teams in the absence of real 30 team control.
Who knows maybe with enough complaints it will be patched in this year, wishful thinking but maybe 2k will shock the world and get the ai logic correct this year.

# 69 Sundown @ 10/24/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Sounds like you're trying to convince me why I should like it.

I don't.

In any sports genre, there has been a weird sort of fun side to losing. Getting a high draft pick, watching your team develop players, signing the right free agent, turning things around, etc. If I'm the Charlotte Bobcats, I'm trying to build a team over seasons. We're not going to be a playoff team right out the gate.

Now, if I happen to answer a few questions not to 2K's programmed liking or if my team is losing money, I get fired and have to pick another team? That's bogus.

I feel like I'd be playing in 2K's controlled environment, not my own.

It is what it is.

Some will love it. Others won't.

But if I don't like it, trust me there's a reason for it.
Crazy idea. Try it first instead of assuming you'll hate it. And turn off the features you don't like or are not well implemented. Not to mention regular seasons are available with the features off.

# 70 convince @ 10/24/13 04:01 PM
I love the idea of MyGm but like the other guy said. If there is no couch co-op. I'll pass on the game and rent the current gen when I need a fix. But will say this about those that don't like the fired and can't get rehired. It makes sense to keep it actually that way to stay true to the mode. But I do see a few ways around that little complication. #1 If you do get fired and there's also a resign option like in today association. Just resign from you new team and rejoin the front office of your favorite team. #2. Ummm restart the mode. #3. My personal favorite Multiple saves. Any time I start an Association I have multiple saves. My first save is the one the force you to save and I called it AssociaStart. Once that save is out of the way I immediately save again in a different slot and call it what ever Team I am. "Ex. Lakers." at the mid season point I create another save called MidSeason. So the bottom line is, if its year 3 of 7. My saves always consist of the three file AssociaStart(The very beginning save) Midseason(The save that only as current to that year or the previous year midseason, whichever is applicable) And my Current save"Lakers"(the most up to date save.) You could always add a start of the season One, its up to you.

# 71 JasonWilliams55 @ 10/24/13 04:02 PM
Good article there.

Which brings me back to my thread here: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...face-scan.html

Would you now seeing the techs results get your dome scanned for a cost? I throw out $15 since 2K15 would be the 15th anniversary.

# 72 lakers24 @ 10/24/13 04:07 PM
What I don't understand is how people can be upset about getting fired. I hope the ones complaining do realize that you COULD get fired in association mode before right? It took ALOT, but you could get fired and you'd have to sign with another team. This is nothing new, this mode is just adding layers to what Association has been. I remember way back in Live 04 when you traded for a star, signed a star, or one retired they had a cutscene of them in the locker room coming in meeting your other highest rated players or leaving the same way. It added depth and a feeling of immersion to see behind the scenes an not just some menu screen. This seems to be in that mode and I'm intrigued as hell by it. If this turns into what I think it will, using this as a base is nothing to sneeze at.

# 73 VDusen04 @ 10/24/13 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
What I don't understand is how people can be upset about getting fired. I hope the ones complaining do realize that you COULD get fired in association mode before right? It took ALOT, but you could get fired and you'd have to sign with another team. This is nothing new, this mode is just adding layers to what Association has been.
I believe there was an option in current gen to turn off the ability to be fired. I'm hopeful the next generation would follow suit. Again, sometimes the goal for Association users wasn't always to be the most successful GM in the quickest amount of time. Sometimes the goal was just to run a team of your choice the way you saw fit, whether that meant running things as realistically as possible, or dilly dallying and enjoying oneself along the way, for better or for worse.

# 74 jeremym480 @ 10/24/13 04:10 PM

This mode sounds freaking amazing.

Things like other owners countering trade offers, players negotiating with you, players busting up in your office upset, your staff really mattering and all that ish sounds awesome to me.

Of course the million dollar question is how is the implementation?
Will perennial role players get pissed if they're not getting they're big minutes?
Will 6th Man types like Manu get upset that they're not starting?
Will players who are injured get mad if they aren't getting playing time?

Lastly, I want to say that the reason many multiple team association users are skeptical is because 2K's has touted improved trade logic every year for as far back as I can remember. We probably won't know if the logic is really up to par until we get our hands on the game, but with the OS guys now on board, I have a calming sense of faith this year.

# 75 convince @ 10/24/13 04:14 PM
Quote:
I know winning is not the only goal, but it's an "implied" goal. I was just pointing out that it's somewhat silly to think that winning doesn't factor into an association at all.

Why not make a MyPlayer that looks like the actual pistons GM? I'm hoping that we can have more than one MyPlayer (don't have my hopes up though) and model one after our franchise GM. Except the CAP system is probably not good for making old dudes. At least GSW GM Bob Myers is actually relatively young so lucked out there.
In NFL 2K5, with firing on or off, the Owner/GM gave out realistic goals. IE..if you were the Raiders...Primary Goal win 8 games. Secondary goal Finish in the top half in team rushing. If you select a team like the Patriots... the Primary goal was more like Make the playoffs with Secondary goal being improve the teams defense. And if you selected "Firing to be on" you were given at least two years before they fired you. And the goals changed every year. If firing was off you just received angry emails from the front office.

# 76 lakers24 @ 10/24/13 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convince
In NFL 2K5, with firing on or off, the Owner/GM gave out realistic goals. IE..if you were the Raiders...Primary Goal win 8 games. Secondary hoal Finish in the top half in team rushing. If you select a team like the Patriots... the Primary goal was more like Make the playoffs with Secondary goal being improve the teams defense. And if you selected "Firing to be on" you were given at two years before the fired you. And the goals changed every year. If firing was off you just received angry emails from the front office.
And this is why I'm not jumping the gun on the burn 2k to the ground mob. Since no one has seen or played the mode, who's to say it isn't modeled heavily from that concept NFL 2k5 had.

P.S. This is an old thing they are bringing back with players in your office, it just seems to be more depth....Now if we could only get them to bring back halftime, postgame, and weekly recap shows.

# 77 qpc123 @ 10/24/13 04:24 PM
With the information available at this time everyone is essentailly jumping to conclusions.

Jumping to a conclusion that a brand new is going to be great is the same as jumping to the conclusion it will suck.

Neither side knows. Odds are both sides are mostly wrong.

One thing that is conclusive(confirmed) is that in 2k14 next gen you cannot control all 30 teams. That one fact alone removes the way I enjoy the game most. I like to keep my association as true to real life as possible.

For me no 30 team control(along with other issues I have)=a no buy for next gen 2k14, I'll stick to my current gen version.

# 78 The 24th Letter @ 10/24/13 04:27 PM
Great posts Sundown

all the way around

# 79 Csquared @ 10/24/13 04:37 PM
I'm guessing this is the mode that would "blow our minds". Well played 2k. Well played...I don't see how each one of you sim heads aren't overly hyped! I am!

# 80 djbaker @ 10/24/13 04:40 PM
Lol I played so much MyTeam in 2k13 that I never even got around to the association. I could give a Dayum about controlling numerous teams. I guess I don't mind because I work all day and have little time to play anyhow. Bottom line, I like what I'm hearing from 2K.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.