Home
WWE 2K14 News Post

WWE 2K14 releases today. Play a few matches and share your impressions with the community.

Game: WWE 2K14Hype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
WWE 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 11/01/13 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
Love how many alternate attires there are for the wrestlers that show up WM30 mode. Hogan and Cena have a ridiculous amount. Reminds me of the good old days on N64 when you'd use the c-pad to cycle through different attires.
I also love when a wrestler has multiple attires you can choose random and have the game pick the attire for u

# 102 mcavner @ 11/01/13 10:25 AM
Smooth, more difficult AI, better design and more options, WAY more reliable server (has worked since day one - imagine that!) - what's not to like?

When your only beef after three days is that the logos are too small on the announce table in create-an-arena and Hogan's muscles are too big - what you've bought yourself is a damn good game.

# 103 aholbert32 @ 11/01/13 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
My major complaint is Andre does not look fat enough. Haven't checked to see if that girdle he used to wear back in the 80's is part of his attire and could be removed. Like you said damn good game.

I know some people here want more of the current roster in the game but I don't watch much wrestling these days but I was a fanatic about it back in the 80's and 90's so playing with all these classic guys makes me feel like a kid again. IMO there isn't enough legends. I'm strictly using the old guys in my universe with just the main eventers from the current era who I know which is only a handful.
I thought the same thing about Andre. Thought he would be taller.

The problem with adding more legends is it costs money. The wrestlers currently on the roster have licensed their likeness rights to WWE so 2k/WWE doesnt have to pay extra to get them in the game. Each legend costs money so there is a cap on the number they can sign.

# 104 TJdaSportsGuy @ 11/01/13 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
I know I've said it already but the commentary sucks even in the 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode its repetitive. Its a shame because the commentary in the Attitude Era mode was so good. If I hear "Hogan's on spaghetti legs right now" I'm going to lose it.
I'm so conflicted as it pertains to the commentary in the 30 Years of WM mode. I love the fact that they have JR doing it...but he's REALLY bad at it. Some commentators & play-by-play guys are good at being able to fake it for video games...JR is not one of those guys. You can just tell it's being recorded in a sound studio. Lawler on the other hand is very believable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
I also love when a wrestler has multiple attires you can choose random and have the game pick the attire for u
Like that too but the negative is when you get one where a guy is wearing a shirt. Cena has one. Hogan too. In fact, with Hogan, he's wearing a t-shirt, a necklace with the cross on it, and his bandanna.

# 105 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 11/01/13 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I'm so conflicted as it pertains to the commentary in the 30 Years of WM mode. I love the fact that they have JR doing it...but he's REALLY bad at it. Some commentators & play-by-play guys are good at being able to fake it for video games...JR is not one of those guys. You can just tell it's being recorded in a sound studio. Lawler on the other hand is very believable.

Like that too but the negative is when you get one where a guy is wearing a shirt. Cena has one. Hogan too. In fact, with Hogan, he's wearing a t-shirt, a necklace with the cross on it, and his bandanna.
Yea but if u think about it sometimes hogan wrestle In his shirt in those sneak attacks so it's cool with me

# 106 jgarrett @ 11/01/13 03:38 PM
Can you still create a superstar and wrestle against other players online? I haven't bought a WWE game in a couple of years, and I wanted to see if that had changed. All I seem to be reading about is the Defeat the Streak and 30 Years of WrestleMania modes.

# 107 jvalverde88 @ 11/01/13 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
I wish they had gone the Attitude Era Mode route in terms of the commentary and dub in the original commentary but like aholbert said it would cost more money especially Ventura.

# 108 woody2goody @ 11/01/13 05:36 PM
Quote:
With all these duplicate wrestlers, I'm somewhat surprised that they don't have a retro Andre from the 70's. He had that long hair and was in somewhat good shape and had some agility. That would have been a cool wrestler to use in the game with that more menacing look combined with Andre's size and better quickness.

Hopefully 2k14 sells better than prior games which gives the WWE incentive to license more legends for next year or at least keep the same amount. If 2k15 uses half the legends next year then it loses a lot of the attraction for me. All the wrestlers these days are so vanilla, they just don't have that charisma or presence like the old days.
I don't want to be the guy to start that debate, but are the current wrestlers really that bland and boring, or do you just not know enough about them to find them interesting?

That's not a dig, just an honest question. Do you think because the legends from the 80s and 90s were so well known, that it made them seem better or more talented than what they really were?

They definitely were talented and brilliant in some cases, but I think there is a slight 'rose-tinted glasses' element to it, because the current roster is very talented and has some great personalities in it.

Having said all that though, I'm really excited to play some of the older WrestleMania matches, because I'm the reverse of you - I started watching WCW in 1999, and WWE in 2000, so that's an era I'm not too familiar with, just like the start of the Attitude Era in last year's game.

This is a great roster this year that's for sure.

# 109 Mercury112491 @ 11/01/13 06:17 PM
Well there were def more "characters" back then with a greater emphasis on being over-the-top.

# 110 spacefunk @ 11/01/13 09:28 PM
Current wrestlers didn't learn the same way the older ones did. They came up through the "territories" and got a lot more experience both in ring and on the mike. The current guys promos are scripted so their real personalities don't come through.

# 111 plexxx @ 11/01/13 09:38 PM
did they really have to add so many hogan attires? he wears the same thing for like 7 wrestlemanias

# 112 JoeMimic @ 11/01/13 10:03 PM
Can someone please explain to me how the heck to use Custom Soundtrack in the Music Jukebox? The songs I have on my PS3 work fine when I goto use them as theme music for someone but for the life of me I can't figure out how the hell to use them as menu music. Or if that's even possible. Did they leave that custom soundtrack part in on the Jukebox just to torture me?

# 113 Mercury112491 @ 11/01/13 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexxx
did they really have to add so many hogan attires? he wears the same thing for like 7 wrestlemanias
Lol I've thought that too. I need to look and see if there's a side by side of all the attires somewhere. I'm sure there a differences but I didn't notice any.

# 114 JoeMimic @ 11/01/13 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
Lol I've thought that too. I need to look and see if there's a side by side of all the attires somewhere. I'm sure there a differences but I didn't notice any.
Well I know two differences for sure WM 4 he's in that totally different red outfit and WM 7 against Slaughter he comes out with an american flag headband.

# 115 bigbob @ 11/02/13 01:02 AM
If I have to play Rock vs Cena II one more ****ing time, I'm going to snap.

Edit: This match is probably the absolute worst thing ever in a wrestling game. It's to the point when it's just plain ****ing stupid.

# 116 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 11/02/13 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
If I have to play Rock vs Cena II one more ****ing time, I'm going to snap.

Edit: This match is probably the absolute worst thing ever in a wrestling game. It's to the point when it's just plain ****ing stupid.
The match in real life was stupid

# 117 lamoyou401 @ 11/02/13 09:11 AM
beating the undertaker in the streak mode reminds me of old arcade game bosses that take forever but feels so relieving after you beat it, me & my friends actually had to gameplan on what to do

# 118 Buckeyed @ 11/02/13 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMBrown
I don't watch wrestling as religiously as I used to. Growing up a fan of the old World Class,Mid-South and NWA promotions, I can't stomach the stuff nowadays. It's to the point where I honestly don't know who half these guys are. I happened to watch a couple of weeks ago and saw Alberto Del Rio parading around with the World title and I'm thinking "that guy is the world heavyweight champion?" I just shook my head and changed the channel.
I feel your pain. Last year I only added the AE guys because it fit my CAW only Universe. I only added them to see some different cut scenes from time to time. I am big into gimmicks. I remember the first time Undertaker came out. My two faves of all time are Undertaker and Mr. Perfect.

# 119 Mercury112491 @ 11/02/13 12:44 PM
So I'm stuck on Wrestlemania 19 Rock v Austin. Does anyone know how to get the first Wrestlemania moment to trigger?

# 120 jcmreds @ 11/02/13 08:11 PM
Quote:
I've tried to watch wrestling the last few years and as someone said, it seems too scripted these days. I find the wrestling now having no psychology to it. Guys now can't work a match in the traditional sense where there is a purpose to the moves and what they wanted accomplish. To me being a talented wrestler doesn't mean how many acrobatic moves they can get in.

Now it's just a series of high spots and it almost seems like each wrestler is mentally going through thier own checklist of moves to make sure they perform all thier signature spots every match. One guy will do his 3 or 4 moves, then the other guy does the same and the rest are just frantic reversals. It's all done at a lightening quick pace or a pace that is much faster than it should be after the guys have wrestled for 15-20 minutes and supposedly beat each other down. Maybe it's to cater to the ADD crowd these days that want no slow spots in a match or the structure of the shows which demands constant action. It's like action movies these days, low on plot and character development and high on mindless action and big explosions. Watch HBK, Hart, Flair in his prime, Savage, Steamboat, Austin. They knew how to work a match.

You get these guys going though a longer match and at a time when they should be worn down, they all of a sudden get this enormous amount of energy so they can perform thier set moves to finish off the match. And there's no build up to it, it happens right after they reverse something. The matches feel disjointed and more choreographed. They seem even more fake.

Take for instance Rob Van Dam. The guy seems to be worshipped but he is one of the worst "wrestlers" I have ever seen. A great gymnast but a terrible wrestler. He can't sell or set any pace to a match. He's just killing time until he can perform the same half dozen acrobatic moves to close the match. John Cena is another one. The only one that reminds me of old school guys is CM Punk. Don't really know any of the mid tier guys but from what I have seen, the wrestling again is by the numbers.

Personality wise, again CM Punk has some charisma but guys like Randy Orton and Cena and Lesner don't have that presence like the Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan, HBK, Hart, Rick Rude etc.. all had. And judging by ratings and PPV buys compared to 15 years ago, I'm not the only one who feels that way.
WWE's weekly match output is really high as far as good to great matches go. Punk, Bryan, Goldust!, Cesaro, Orton, Shield, etc have been on fire. Yeah if you want colorful characters and good storylines that make sense you're out of luck.

However, the quality match output has been very high this year. The Shield has had the best in ring year by a group since the Dangerous Alliance in 1992. Yeah full shows are a drag, but I could easily rattle off 20-30 matches I think are pretty great from 2013.

I can't wait to pick this game up(my cheap self is waiting on buy 2 get 1) 100 caws slots and improved A.I = fun times.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.