Home
News Post

Yesterday, EA Sports and Tiger Woods mutually decided to part ways and end their 15 year partnership. The golf game will get a new name in 2015 when it releases for next-gen gaming systems.

Today, courtesy of ESPN Sports Business Reporter Darren Rovell, the end of the partnership also means Tiger will not make an appearance in the game at all.

Is this a big deal for you? Will you purchase a golf game that doesn't have Tiger Woods on the roster?

Member Comments
# 1 bluengold34_OS @ 10/29/13 10:21 AM
This doesn't bother me at all, as I never use any of the included golfers anyways. I always use my created golfer in every aspect -

I am assuming they will still have the ability to use his name(text only) during the tour for leader-boards and Fed Ex standings?

# 2 mcmax3000 @ 10/29/13 10:28 AM
While I don't think that not having his name on the game is a big deal, not having him in the game at all kind of sucks. That said, I never used him, so my experience won't change.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 10/29/13 10:38 AM
wtf why to only bring him pack in a later version of the game??

# 4 wallofhate @ 10/29/13 10:39 AM
To be honest this is making the game borderline unplayable to the fringe fans not that it matter I guess.

# 5 Hunkerdown @ 10/29/13 10:40 AM
This is because Tiger is working with other companies for a golf game.

# 6 Hunkerdown @ 10/29/13 10:40 AM
Also, i wish all sports games would go to 2 year cycle.

# 7 pietasterp @ 10/29/13 11:22 AM
No issue at all. Primarily because I can't stand the game anyway....

The very first Tiger Woods game ever wasn't bad, if I recall - because it was basically their PGA Tour game re-branded w/ Tiger, back when there was still a focus on good solid sim golf on the PC. The shift to the consoles killed videogame golf IMO.

# 8 mikey04 @ 10/29/13 11:57 AM
How can you not have the best player in the world in the game? How is that acceptable? It would be like having NBA2k without Lebron. Or Madden without peyton or Tom Brady. Very bad decision IMO. Sales will tank. Hardcore golf fans will still buy it but, the fringe fans, the ones that only know golf because of Tiger will no longer be interested.

# 9 DaveMN @ 10/29/13 12:24 PM
Hopefully they take that money they were giving to Tiger and spend it on the development team to make a better game.

# 10 HustlinOwl @ 10/29/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Not any more.
lmao see world golf rankings and he will more than likely win golfer of the year as well

# 11 Rumplebeanskin @ 10/29/13 01:40 PM
Pretty certain they will just add him in as DLC then expect us to pay for him, like he wasn't in Tiger 14, and 13, and 12, and 11.

Like all the courses that were in game, that then suddenly disappeared and became DLC.

[/cynicism]

# 12 pietasterp @ 10/29/13 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey04
How can you not have the best player in the world in the game? How is that acceptable? It would be like having NBA2k without Lebron. Or Madden without peyton or Tom Brady. Very bad decision IMO. Sales will tank. Hardcore golf fans will still buy it but, the fringe fans, the ones that only know golf because of Tiger will no longer be interested.
The best golf games ever (IMO, of course) had no PGA players whatsoever in the game. The thing about golf games is that I would imagine that they are generally played by people who play golf in real life, just like golf is primarily watched by people who play golf in real life. It isn't like football or basketball or hockey where the majority of people watching the pro game never actually go out and play (or at least not often), so they live vicariously through their teams. If you're a golfer, you'd much rather go out and play yourself than watch it on TV, so the game is a lot more personal in that regard.

Personally, I've always played as a character that approximates myself, and most of my buddies do as well. So it's really a moot point if there are real PGA players in the game or not. Sure, it's better if they're there, but if you asked me would you rather have Tiger Woods in the game or have a no-name game as good as Links 2000 (updated for modern times, of course), I'd take the latter every time. Clearly, the sales of the game don't support paying for his name any more, so I must not be alone there.

# 13 mikey04 @ 10/29/13 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Not any more.
Not anymore??? Dude, its not really close. He won 5 times this year. No majors but, he is the best in the game hands down. To not have him represented in the game is unbelievable. Even when he was in the game, i could never use him in career mode. That was just dumb too. I would have loved to try and match his career using him. EA cannot get anything right these days. They are an absolute joke.

# 14 pietasterp @ 10/29/13 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Golf games in general get pretty stale and boring...
EA's golf games definitely do. I can still play Links LS 2000 and be thoroughly entertained. And a few weekends ago after a night at the bar, a buddy and I busted out the old Links for original Xbox (I guess I can't call it "XBox 1"...) and had a blast.

# 15 Rasco11 @ 10/29/13 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
I am assuming they will still have the ability to use his name(text only) during the tour for leader-boards and Fed Ex standings?

If not, maybe they can have Cougar Forrest?

# 16 pietasterp @ 10/29/13 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco11
If not, maybe they can have Cougar Forrest?
Is that what they're calling the Beverly Hills lounge scene these days?

# 17 scottyo60 @ 10/29/13 07:33 PM
Give me a game where I can play on a rainy day or in winter when I can't hit the course and it will feel like I'm out on the course. I could care less the people in them, I care about courses I'll probably never get to experience more.

# 18 Triggerfish @ 10/29/13 10:01 PM
never used tigger in any of the golf games...never paid attention to anything about him in the game. The version where they had him as a kid was probably the most ridiculous version. I still bought the games. Only way i would ever use a an actual pro is if they had Ben Hogan .
But if this opens up a little competition...i'm all for it.

# 19 fsufan4423 @ 10/29/13 10:15 PM
Taking Tiger out of this game would be like taking the NBA Logo off a Jersey, the horse from a Polo shirt, or an Apple from a iPod and and see how many people buy it.

Tiger is a brand that brings all sorts of people into the game. It would no different than a regular golf tournament without him in the field......low ratings.

# 20 Thrash13 @ 10/29/13 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwhiskey119
Everyone says no issue but in fact it is a HUGE issue. This will sink the franchise without question.

There is no point in having any pro golfers in the game at all now.
You do realize there are a lot of great golfers not named Tiger Woods don't you? He's the best golfer right now, but he's hardly as dominant as he was 5 years ago. He hasn't won a major since 2008, and others like Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, etc. are big names now. I'll guarantee some people will buy the game now just because Tiger isn't associated. Look at the sales history of the franchise since his transgressions in 2009, and tell me again how it will sink without his involvement. I wish he was still with EA, but the fact the next game will have an extra year of development along with being released on next-gen systems could equal something really solid. The whole "Tiger" thing has definitely gotten a bit stale over the last few years though. The proof is in the pudding.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.