Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Owen Good of Kotaku has the story on how MLB 14: The Show's new feature of allowing saves from this year to carry into future editions of the game saved thousands of promising, budding careers.

Quote:
"What MLB The Show said last night is, I only have to do that one more time. I can create Owen Good in MLB 14 The Show, make the majors, and never look back. I could play out the rest of my seasons in real time and, assuming the series lasts this long, hang up my uniform in MLB 34 The Show on the PlayStation 7.P

Why did it take this long to get this breakthrough? People assume there's some sort of dark publisher motive behind it, to keep each edition distinct and drive people to buy the next one in the series. I have no idea how allowing a gamesave to carry forward disincentivizes the purchase of the latest edition of the series. If anything, knowing that I can take my lapsed "character" and still play him in the best-looking, best-playing edition of the series gives me even more incentive to get back on the wagon and pick up the new $60 game when it releases."

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ShavarHayes @ 11/06/13 10:52 AM
This is AWESOME! I honestly never even thought of this feature, but it's a huge stepping stone! I hope they incorporate a solid online franchise, because that would take it to an even higher level.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

# 2 Geolink @ 11/06/13 10:53 AM
I wonder how this will work. Will all the player/teammate models be carried over to every game now? Will the create a player mode be limited by this?

# 3 JerzeyReign @ 11/06/13 11:16 AM
MLB The Show.... Continuing To Set The Sports Gaming Standard

# 4 Knight165 @ 11/06/13 11:16 AM
That was a good read.

The questions on "how?" are valid and I'm sure have contributed into why it's been asked for ....for so long, but is just getting into the game now.

I know I've spoken to the devs about this for a number of years now and they have had it on their radar before that.

My guess is that you must complete a season. Most likely to the last day of the off-season and save your franchise/RTTS/Season file(if they are all included in this feature, which I hope they are)

Each new version of the game will include a file converter and will convert the old game save into a new game save.....with any new additions being set to a default and you'd have to go into the editor and change it yourself(say if they added a different body model or equipment/hair..etc additions)

It's just my guess....but I think all players that are on your save file from The Show '14....will be in your game on The Show '15 and beyond.

M.K.
Knight165

# 5 H to the Oza @ 11/06/13 11:21 AM
Ive thought about this feature before, part of the reason I dont play MyPlayer modes is because you have to start over each year if you decide to upgrade the game. It sucks and quite frankly, aint no body got time for that.

It is so unbelievably awesome The Show is doing this. This feature alone will make it a day one buy for me.

# 6 MLB Bob @ 11/06/13 12:06 PM
how awesome will classic rosters and fictional rosters be now. Actually getting to play from 1985 to present or earlier...hell start from the beginning

# 7 Gagnon39 @ 11/06/13 12:40 PM
This is pretty cool but the ultimate question for me is did they fix the stats in Road to the Show and franchise mode? I know it's not like this for everyone but for myself, this was always a game-killer. Having every MLB team with a batting average above .300 is so frustrating. And it is commonplace to see the best team ERA hovering around 5.00 with other teams ranking around 7.00-8.00. It's immensely frustrating and hopefully will be fixed this year.

# 8 Knight165 @ 11/06/13 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
This is pretty cool but the ultimate question for me is did they fix the stats in Road to the Show and franchise mode? I know it's not like this for everyone but for myself, this was always a game-killer. Having every MLB team with a batting average above .300 is so frustrating. And it is commonplace to see the best team ERA hovering around 5.00 with other teams ranking around 7.00-8.00. It's immensely frustrating and hopefully will be fixed this year.
Maybe that's how the future of the MLB will be?
People screamed that the Red Sox were too good in this years version when it came out.
SCEA predicts the future....embrace it.

M.K.
Knight165

# 9 Mike Lowe @ 11/06/13 01:16 PM
As my signature indicates, I'm thrilled about this!

Will we have a TRUE online franchise mode in OOTP 14, and will it work with this sort of career import?

This could replace the text sim.

# 10 BenGerman @ 11/06/13 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I'd imagine all sim engines would be much more accurate on the new consoles if the developers cared to make them so.

# 11 dalger21 @ 11/06/13 01:32 PM
He does raise an interesting question as far as how retired players will be ported over to the next game even tho they are no longer in the MLBPA. I also wonder how real life free agents, trades, releases, etc., will be handled.

# 12 Knight165 @ 11/06/13 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
He does raise an interesting question as far as how retired players will be ported over to the next game even tho they are no longer in the MLBPA. I also wonder how real life free agents, trades, releases, etc., will be handled.
I'm pretty sure it's going to go off your PREVIOUS game save file....which will have the "roster" with it. Just like from year to year now.....it's not looking for a new default roster to start. The new version will likely just convert the entire save file(rosters/sliders/coaches...etc) to the new version.

M.K.
Knight165

# 13 bibibanax @ 11/06/13 01:46 PM
In NCAA Football, you could save your player and then use it in Madden. Probably the same thing, but with a larger, larger, larger database

# 14 Russell_SCEA @ 11/06/13 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Maybe that's how the future of the MLB will be?
People screamed that the Red Sox were too good in this years version when it came out.
SCEA predicts the future....embrace it.

M.K.
Knight165
You have no idea how close we came to emailing him about that now lol.

# 15 aukevin @ 11/06/13 02:08 PM
Future edition saves... hands down the coolest thing. Too bad I have to wait until March of 2015 to use it! lol

# 16 Heroesandvillains @ 11/06/13 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I'm pretty sure it's going to go off your PREVIOUS game save file....which will have the "roster" with it. Just like from year to year now.....it's not looking for a new default roster to start. The new version will likely just convert the entire save file(rosters/sliders/coaches...etc) to the new version.

M.K.
Knight165
I think Dalger was asking more about the licensing.

If Derek Jeter, for example, retires at the end of the real life 2014 season, but he doesn't in my MLB 14 The Show Franchise, will the save transfer to MLB 15 The Show still have my Derek Jeter on it?

My best guess is yes; the game wouldn't try to distinguish the retirement from the roster slot. But Derek Jeter appearing in an MLB product without belonging to the MLBPA could possibly present an issue.

I'm not pretending to know the legalities of this, and I'm sure SCEA SD has a way to handle this already, but the question is an interesting one.

# 17 Entiae @ 11/06/13 02:49 PM
This sounds absolutely fantastic!

# 18 xCeeTee @ 11/06/13 02:54 PM
i always dreamt that EA would do that and your guy was cross-game like he played in FIFA and Madden and the NHL. This has definitely made me want to buy the MLB The Show series!!!

# 19 bigwill33 @ 11/06/13 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I think Dalger was asking more about the licensing.

If Derek Jeter, for example, retires at the end of the real life 2014 season, but he doesn't in my MLB 14 The Show Franchise, will the save transfer to MLB 15 The Show still have my Derek Jeter on it?

My best guess is yes; the game wouldn't try to distinguish the retirement from the roster slot. But Derek Jeter appearing in an MLB product without belonging to the MLBPA could possibly present an issue.

I'm not pretending to know the legalities of this, and I'm sure SCEA SD has a way to handle this already, but the question is an interesting one.
He's not in the actual game when you get it. Just in your personal saved data. They aren't selling a disc with his information on it already. The new game will have updated rosters for all game modes, your personal saved data will be the only file any of the prior players appear in. Meaning only you will have access to that and they aren't needing the mlbpa approval because they had it from when that version was originally made.

# 20 Heroesandvillains @ 11/06/13 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
He's not in the actual game when you get it. Just in your personal saved data. They aren't selling a disc with his information on it already. The new game will have updated rosters for all game modes, your personal saved data will be the only file any of the prior players appear in. Meaning only you will have access to that and they aren't needing the mlbpa approval because they had it from when that version was originally made.
I agree with you that this is how I expect it will be implemented, but unless I missed something, I don't think anyone knows for sure.

How you described it is what I hope for though, for sure.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.