Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

According to Rich Grisham, Press Row Podcast host, you will be able to download a fully featured NBA Live 14 demo on PS4 launch day (November 15) according to what he was told by officials he talked to at a recent press event.

It's possible/likely the demo will have playable parts of every mode, perhaps even allowing you to start franchises and careers -- but will be limited either by time like the Season Ticket games were or by simply not allowing you to go past a certain point in certain modes. If the demo is truly fully featured, this is a shrewd business move by EA to offer a try-before-you-buy option for Live 14 to try to entice some customer goodwill ahead of the games launch on November 19.

UPDATE: EA Sports has announced the NBA Live 14 demo will arrive on November 19th, the same day it arrives in stores.

Will you be checking out the demo?

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Boilerbuzz @ 11/09/13 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
I highly doubt the guys loading content would be gameplay designers.
I didn't imply gameplay designers at all. First, the "content" you mention needs to be designed managed and created. This isn't about a couple of monkeys editing spreadsheets. Or is it? If it is, this feature will underwhelm. Also, Live 15 needs more love in MORE than just gameplay design.

# 82 yungflo @ 11/10/13 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
You're saying this as if there is a gigabyte floor that needs to be reached.

Like I said, who knows for sure. BF4 requires 35GB. Is that a minimal update from them when the game is also on CG?

We'll all find out next week.
there isn't, but no way this is strictly next gen when its that small, imo. Yeah, mext gen has better ram, better processors but aesthetics aside, all that could be handled on last gen, cause it fits on a last gen disc. So why not just release it for current gen?

My only assumption this is nba live 13..but re-tweaked and reworked for the next gen console. They had a base for nba live 13, unfortunately it was unpolished and had negative feedback. They took the core of nba live 13 and said hey, lets work on it some more.

I find it impossible to build from scratch for a sports title. 2k included. There are so many animations captured in last gen alone. I think over 3000 for 2k? Who knows how many for live? You mean to tell me you guys scrapped those and went back to the drawing board, knowing your game has to meet launch window? Come on. That doesn't sound realistic, especially for EA who said their dev team hasn't been together that long.

there is no cloud functionality for this game. Gaikai doesn't work like that, at least not yet from sony's part. there's no way they'd be streaming 20gb

I think this is nba live 13 improbed. No, not nba live 13.5 I just think nba live 13 was the fundamental base or the skeleton of nba live 14 to build on. It certainly looks that way.

again, That's only an assumption but you know what they say about assumptions lol.

# 83 Haval93 @ 11/10/13 08:40 PM
Some thought to put out there. Just because a game takes up a huge amount of space doesn't mean it has a crazy amount of content. One reason and probably the biggest is graphical assets, non-compressed textures and assets will take up a huge amount of space. Two big examples are Max Payne and Skyrim. Max Payne was a large game on the PC because of it's uncompressed textures. Same with Skyrim, they released a HD texture pack that was a couple GB's of data. Uncompressed audio files will do the same, and so does videos. In NBA Live's case they simply could of really compressed all their files while other games know they have more space and didn't want to since they haven't taken up the whole disc space. There are a lot of reasons going into how large a game size is. Forza 5 is releasing with only 200 cars and less tracks than Forza 4(Over 500 cars if I am not mistaken) and it is a much bigger game size compared to Forza 4. Anways sorry for the long post.

# 84 Boilerbuzz @ 11/11/13 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haval93
Some thought to put out there. Just because a game takes up a huge amount of space doesn't mean it has a crazy amount of content. One reason and probably the biggest is graphical assets, non-compressed textures and assets will take up a huge amount of space. Two big examples are Max Payne and Skyrim. Max Payne was a large game on the PC because of it's uncompressed textures. Same with Skyrim, they released a HD texture pack that was a couple GB's of data. Uncompressed audio files will do the same, and so does videos. In NBA Live's case they simply could of really compressed all their files while other games know they have more space and didn't want to since they haven't taken up the whole disc space. There are a lot of reasons going into how large a game size is. Forza 5 is releasing with only 200 cars and less tracks than Forza 4(Over 500 cars if I am not mistaken) and it is a much bigger game size compared to Forza 4. Anways sorry for the long post.
This is actually quite a reasonable assumption. You are right. You can have anywhere from a 4x to 10x compression ratio depending on the file formats. The ONLY problem I have with this theory, though, is that with SO much room available on the disk, why give yourself the unneeded overhead to decompress that data. Since games are installed, there isn't much of a win in speeding up the reading from disk either.

Good point, though.

# 85 yungflo @ 11/11/13 06:54 AM
Quote:
I get that, but knowing that you have the space for decompressed, data, audio..Why would you compress it? Wait, HD texture packs on the PC aren't next gen? Lol. Of course they are..that's why its taking up space. The pc has always been advance when compared to consoles. I'm sure the visuals look alot better on PC than they do Current Gen Consoles, Right?

Maybe they wanted to optimize loading times, but with so much space and much better ram, it seems like 8gb,9gb is too small for a game. It most likely is. I remember when a few launch ps3 titles had 4 or 5 GB and bluray games were 25GB at the time. So as time goes on, I suspect it'll get bigger..no doubt.

But the reason I said what I said about the size, was because you look at the video, the animations and the artwork and you can infer that live 13 was the foundation of the game. To me, its obvious and they took a new engine and built on it. That's why I think it's small in size, cause of a current gen foundation and how barebones it is.

Not saying I'm right, just saying that's my opinion.

# 86 Haval93 @ 11/11/13 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
This is actually quite a reasonable assumption. You are right. You can have anywhere from a 4x to 10x compression ratio depending on the file formats. The ONLY problem I have with this theory, though, is that with SO much room available on the disk, why give yourself the unneeded overhead to decompress that data. Since games are installed, there isn't much of a win in speeding up the reading from disk either.

Good point, though.
I don't understand the unneeded overhead to compress the data neither. My thought or rational is that it's goes back to Microsoft's orginial plan of always online, knowing that if most user were going to go digital only this generation, games have to be compress because of download size and bandwidth. I for sure as hell won't download 40 gig game, it would take me about a whole day and eat up a majority of my monthly bandwidth. Knowing that EA was one of Microsoft's compentents of always online, they could have told all their teams to compress as much as possible because of this. Example, for Europeans who buy Day One editions of the Xbox One they FIFA free as a digital download, I'm pretty sure no one wants to wait and download a huge game when they first buy a new console, so compressing all the data would be the best solution and probably was set as a standard for all three EA Sports games. Just my thought, I could be wrong though.

# 87 El_Poopador @ 11/11/13 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
there isn't, but no way this is strictly next gen when its that small, imo. Yeah, mext gen has better ram, better processors but aesthetics aside, all that could be handled on last gen, cause it fits on a last gen disc. So why not just release it for current gen?
this makes no sense. just because my pc has a dvd drive doesnt mean the rest of the hardware is up for running a high end game. disk size does not mean game quality. it means content. thats it. 2k has tons of content like audio clips for interviews face scans and textures, etc. go install nba 2k14 on your pc and look at how large the folder is. then install some mods overtop and watch how much larger the folder gets. the game itself isnt any different, but there is a lot more content, and in many cases that content is much larger.

to insinuate a game is a port because it doesnt take up a ton of space, or to assume another game isnt a port because it does, makes no sense. code takes up minimal space on the disc. so please can we all just stop with the disk space == game quality arguments?

# 88 El_Poopador @ 11/11/13 09:48 AM
Quote:
I don't understand the unneeded overhead to compress the data neither. My thought or rational is that it's goes back to Microsoft's orginial plan of always online, knowing that if most user were going to go digital only this generation, games have to be compress because of download size and bandwidth. I for sure as hell won't download 40 gig game, it would take me about a whole day and eat up a majority of my monthly bandwidth. Knowing that EA was one of Microsoft's compentents of always online, they could have told all their teams to compress as much as possible because of this. Example, for Europeans who buy Day One editions of the Xbox One they FIFA free as a digital download, I'm pretty sure no one wants to wait and download a huge game when they first buy a new console, so compressing all the data would be the best solution and probably was set as a standard for all three EA Sports games. Just my thought, I could be wrong though.
that would make sense, but both next gen consoles have advertised being able to play the game while its downloading, so you dont need to wait for the full thing to download before you can play it.

# 89 bigeastbumrush @ 11/11/13 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
this makes no sense. just because my pc has a dvd drive doesnt mean the rest of the hardware is up for running a high end game. disk size does not mean game quality. it means content. thats it. 2k has tons of content like audio clips for interviews face scans and textures, etc. go install nba 2k14 on your pc and look at how large the folder is. then install some mods overtop and watch how much larger the folder gets. the game itself isnt any different, but there is a lot more content, and in many cases that content is much larger.

to insinuate a game is a port because it doesnt take up a ton of space, or to assume another game isnt a port because it does, makes no sense. code takes up minimal space on the disc. so please can we all just stop with the disk space == game quality arguments?

# 90 Boilerbuzz @ 11/11/13 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador

I ready to agree up until the last sentence.

1. Higher Rez texture does relate to graphical quality.
2. More audio assets does equate to more variety which is a facet of quality.
3. More model detail in things like player models and stadiums does relate to graphical quality.

But forget that, the fear unrelated was that is seems the assets didn't change from old gen as much as I would have hoped or expecting after being told that the game can't be done on old gen. That's all.

# 91 Norris_Cole @ 11/11/13 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
That's almost a 5x difference! That's insane.
Skyrim pc iso was only like 5gb and imo it's the biggest and better game I've ever played, so size doesn't always mean better quality. But these EA games scream "PORT" everywhere, just look at fifa 14...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.