Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports posted up a new video of the opening scene of the revamped MyCAREER mode. If you can't see the video above, check it out on YouTube.

Video Description: MyCAREER in NBA 2K14 on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is a revolutionary new experience driven by hundreds of interactive scenes, both on and off the court. Watch the mode's opening scene right here. Where will MyCAREER take you this year? Only one way to find out.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 shmitty @ 11/12/13 12:00 AM
I just dont like the streetball feel. I cant think of the last time I played on an outdoor court. Im pretty sure not many NBA rookies-especially the potential stars- are doing it also.

I know it might be too sim, but I feel like we should maybe go thru drills and practices to see how well we run plays, then go on to the showcase. Maybe they should have 2 diff styles of play.

Im all for adding to the immersion but it needs to happen organically.

# 62 hesko @ 11/12/13 12:40 AM
wouldve been nice if the hoodie moved when shooting.

# 63 Csmooove32 @ 11/12/13 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmitty
I just dont like the streetball feel. I cant think of the last time I played on an outdoor court. Im pretty sure not many NBA rookies-especially the potential stars- are doing it also.

I know it might be too sim, but I feel like we should maybe go thru drills and practices to see how well we run plays, then go on to the showcase. Maybe they should have 2 diff styles of play.

Im all for adding to the immersion but it needs to happen organically.
lol what makes you think it has a streetball feel? because he was shooting around on a blacktop? if your a basketball player at some point in your life you've played at a park before.

# 64 Taer @ 11/12/13 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmooove32
lol what makes you think it has a streetball feel? because he was shooting around on a blacktop? if your a basketball player at some point in your life you've played at a park before.
Like it or not, the opening scene was very much in the theme of "White Men Can't Jump" street ball scripting where the main character is a Woody Harleson type of player - as opposed to a Hoosiers type of feel.

If the opening scene had started with the guy shooting hoops off a backboard nailed to a barn, I'd have thought: "Hoosiers" instead of "White Men Can't Jump".

I don't think anyone is saying this feels like Rutgers ... just that 2k has scripted a "MYCareer" movie that we'll be the central star in. And as of right now, only seeing the screenshot and the opening cut-scene we begin in a certain setting.

# 65 shmitty @ 11/12/13 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmooove32
The 1st scene is on an outside court, which Im pretty sure most of us dont play on anymore. Then, our only way with playing with other my players is to play in a streetball setting without NBA rules. The game is called NBA 2k, I want to pretend that Im actually in the NBA, taking advantage of their world class facilities. If I want to play on a blacktop ill go down the street and do it right damn now.

I just dont get why any outside courts have to in the game at all. NO ONE PLAYS ON THEM. At least where Im from. Its bad for your knees lol I just dont get it.

Still getting the game, but they need to know that some ppl do want a more realistic approach.

# 66 VDusen04 @ 11/12/13 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmitty
The 1st scene is on an outside court, which Im pretty sure most of us dont play on anymore. Then, our only way with playing with other my players is to play in a streetball setting without NBA rules. The game is called NBA 2k, I want to pretend that Im actually in the NBA, taking advantage of their world class facilities. If I want to play on a blacktop ill go down the street and do it right damn now.

I just dont get why any outside courts have to in the game at all. NO ONE PLAYS ON THEM. At least where Im from. Its bad for your knees lol I just dont get it.

Still getting the game, but they need to know that some ppl do want a more realistic approach.
I must be real, I do not care for the early looks I've seen of MyCareer thus far (this video alongside the tidbits in the IGN review paint a pretty corny, overly done, MyCareer movie feel), but I can't agree with you on the statements you're making about playing basketball outside. Stepping out of the 2K realm for a moment, basketball is still played outside virtually everywhere. I understand this may not be the case in your city, but I assure you the street aspect of the sport is alive and well. To state that no one plays basketball outside anymore is extremely misguided.

Do we know what role an outdoor court will play in MyCareer? Not yet. Should it play a role at all? It's debatable. But to make broad and sweeping statements suggesting no one plays basketball outdoors anymore is a little shortsighted.

# 67 Csmooove32 @ 11/12/13 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I must be real, I do not care for the early looks I've seen of MyCareer thus far (this video alongside the tidbits in the IGN review paint a pretty corny, overly done, MyCareer movie feel), but I can't agree with you on the statements you're making about playing basketball outside. Stepping out of the 2K realm for a moment, basketball is still played outside virtually everywhere. I understand this may not be the case in your city, but I assure you the street aspect of the sport is alive and well. To state that no one plays basketball outside anymore is extremely misguided.

Do we know what role an outdoor court will play in MyCareer? Not yet. Should it play a role at all? It's debatable. But to make broad and sweeping statements suggesting no one plays basketball outdoors anymore is a little shortsighted.
this ^^^^....where im from you play where ever you can so i can assure you that people still play ball outside. I understand what your saying about that whole blacktop thing in the game but maybe they wanna use a started from nothing type story or something idk we haven't really seen nothing and we most likely wont into Friday.

# 68 Sundown @ 11/12/13 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

What's a travesty is that the Park looks really neat-- it actually looks beautifully implemented-- but you can't form Crews. Really?!

Not even the Blacktop 2.0 not-Crews-Crews. Why so much work on a "mind blowing" new mode-- but you can't even arrange to play as a team with your friends? My mind is blown for all the wrong reasons.

# 69 shmitty @ 11/12/13 01:49 AM
I agree that is a sweeping statement, I should say that I PERSONALLY dont know anyone that plays outside and Im quite sure no NBA players are regularly doing so.

It really isnt a big deal, but I think it just shows what kind of direction they want to (or have to) go in.

# 70 b0ck3n @ 11/12/13 02:29 AM
I love this mode. I love the fact that we have pre-scanned faces to choose from, as opposed to a broken character generator. I don't want my player to stand out from the rest for all the wrong reasons - that was a huge immersion breaker for me in past games.

# 71 bumpyface @ 11/12/13 03:03 AM
Corny, lol

# 72 Gosens6 @ 11/12/13 06:46 AM
So now there's an issue with playing on an outdoor court? There's not many indoor courts where I live, all we have out here is outdoor courts. I didn't know blacktops were in extinction

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk

# 73 RKrJ @ 11/12/13 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ck3n
I love this mode. I love the fact that we have pre-scanned faces to choose from, as opposed to a broken character generator. I don't want my player to stand out from the rest for all the wrong reasons - that was a huge immersion breaker for me in past games.
You can't be serious, right? Pre-scanned faces, like the NHL series for example? **** that. I want to be able to modify the faces of created players. It would make the game way more realistic...

# 74 Gramps91 @ 11/12/13 08:38 AM
I'm fine with the career mode being a bit cheesy. I thought it looked pretty cool from what IGN showed in the review.

# 75 El_Poopador @ 11/12/13 09:14 AM
anyone else think this looks a lot like:

i think it would have been more realistic to show your my player in a ncaa championship game. or at least an ncaa game in general rather than coming from the streets. thats been done already. i mean the players have to come from college right?

my major questions about this mode:

do i have to choose a nickname? never liked having one and i hate the commentators using a cheesy nickname 90% of the time. i would rather just be known by the players name.

will cap be better than cg or will we be stuck with generic looking faces? do i have to spend 500vc on a headband still? will the vc economy be more realistic? will i make more in a season than it costs to buy a sleeve?

will there be more dynamic commentary and a lot specific to the mode? cg pretty much only refers to your first game first points in the nba etc but doesnt really even notice you after that. i have a sf on the cavs right now and i hear more about lebron leaving every game than myself being the number 1 overall pick.

will these off the court interactions with teammates affect what happens on the court in the next game? so by not giving cousins the ball in the final seconds like he wanted, will he freeze me out next game (hope not these are professionals and i dont think thats realistic)? or will he go to the coach and complain about me (this is more reasonable)? or is this kinda like post game interviews in cg where they dont really do much of anything?

# 76 iimrampage28 @ 11/12/13 09:54 AM
Did anyone else notice that it looks like the same rooftop court just with more daylight and at the other end of the court?

I guess the story will be okay but I'll have to play it first to ultimately decide.

Sent from my 25th ranked iPad using Tapatalk

# 77 MarvinOida @ 11/12/13 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iimrampage28
Did anyone else notice that it looks like the same rooftop court just with more daylight and at the other end of the court?

I guess the story will be okay but I'll have to play it first to ultimately decide.

Sent from my 25th ranked iPad using Tapatalk
I noticed that. Would've loved Rucker though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 78 canucksss @ 11/12/13 01:41 PM
I dont mind the "drama" being installed here in MyCareer. But I am hoping that the issues in CG and 2k13 are addressed in NG, such as all starters are being pulled out on a big lead and you're being left behind.

# 79 Jakeness23 @ 11/12/13 04:33 PM
What I want to see is a randomized draft (based on team needs at the end of last season) after your player is picked, so 2 people don't occupy the same pick. Which means one guy that did get drafted IRL, won't get drafted in game, but could be signed as an undrafted free agent. I just don't want to go #4 to Charlotte and then have Cody Zeller there too as the "other" #4 pick. It's just weird an makes no sense.

# 80 da ThRONe @ 11/12/13 05:38 PM
I think they officially lost me with MyC. This looks super corny and I still don't see where my issues with the mode has been addressed at all.

Oh yeah anybody who thought that was the voice of a black male needs more black friends. That clearly was a white dude. LOL

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.