Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

Press Row Podcast host Rich Grisham checks in today with a hands-on preview of NBA Live 14 for next-gen consoles. Here are a few nuggets from the article:
  • Controls are layered, meaning anyone can pick up and play -- but there's a good bit of depth to be mastered as well.
  • Defensive controls are done mainly via the left stick. The LT puts you in a defensive stance wherever you are at on the floor.
  • Overall the game plays solid, but Rich is hesitant on giving it a ringing endorsement but instead says its a solid foundation for next-gen basketball.
  • There will be a day-one patch.
What do you think about what you read? Sound off below!

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 King_B_Mack @ 11/12/13 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
That's thing they not even trying to compete this ...this year is just about getting a solid game so ppl can see where there is heading and hopefully next year ppl will give it true shot...you can play fully demo before you buy it that is saying a lot...how many next gen demo is going to be out and be fully playable
All of 'em?

http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/t...an-the-ps4-do/

Quote:
6. Free Demos – for Everything
No longer will you need to rent games or download huge files in order to try out a new title you’re interested in. Sony has revealed that every game for PS4™ will have a demo version you’ll be able to access online with one press of a button, which will be instantly playable for a period of time. What’s more, when you buy games online, you’ll be able to play them right away, while waiting for the whole thing to download.

# 22 IV THA UNITY @ 11/12/13 02:57 PM
I don't post a lot on these forums, but what are the game modes. Everyday I am checking for news on OTP and any news of online play, yet I get nothing. They did a Q&A on twitter, I ask questions then at the end of the Q&A they let everyone know that they were only focused on gameplay for that Q&A. Really EA?????

Was looking forward to this game since the OTP and online connectivity was solid in 08, 09 and 10. Looks like I will only have one BBall game this year.

# 23 BQ32 @ 11/12/13 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IV THA UNITY
I don't post a lot on these forums, but what are the game modes. Everyday I am checking for news on OTP and any news of online play, yet I get nothing. They did a Q&A on twitter, I ask questions then at the end of the Q&A they let everyone know that they were only focused on gameplay for that Q&A. Really EA?????

Was looking forward to this game since the OTP and online connectivity was solid in 08, 09 and 10. Looks like I will only have one BBall game this year.
dude listen to the podcast, it will go through all the game modes which sound stellar. Online has head to head quick match, head to head seasons reminiscent of fifa, and best of 7 games series against a friend. I personally am way more excited for this game then 2k.

# 24 BQ32 @ 11/12/13 03:06 PM
"There’s no doubt that EA Sports has laid a solid foundation for next-generation basketball. Thanks to an impressive amount of gameplay depth and options, it appears that Live really is back."

Sounds to me like a ringing endorsement, what is with Operation Sports negative shade towards this game. We know you are 2k fanboys but represent the material properly.

# 25 IV THA UNITY @ 11/12/13 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
dude listen to the podcast, it will go through all the game modes which sound stellar. Online has head to head quick match, head to head seasons reminiscent of fifa, and best of 7 games series against a friend. I personally am way more excited for this game then 2k.
I shouldn't have to listen to a podcast to hear a feature set. It should be presented front and center. I mean they should be advertising their game. I for one wanted OTP, which they introduced to the genre in a patch in Live 08. Then they brought on clubs in 09 and 10. Thats what I want from Live. I play 2K for association/ franchise modes since live has alway been lackluster in that department.

The updated commentary sounds good and all but that isn't going to make me play the Head to head version over 2k. They had a GEM in their OTP because their servers actually worked. Yet I hear nothing about that mode.

# 26 RipCityAndy @ 11/12/13 03:22 PM
Quote:
Me too... the building blocks they are putting in place will pay dividends in the coming years - especially Synergy. And if the partnerships they are building are exclusive, 2k will be in trouble. I'm really excited to see what they come out with. Even with the rough edges, I think Live with be a blast!

# 27 The 24th Letter @ 11/12/13 03:46 PM
Quote:
"There’s no doubt that EA Sports has laid a solid foundation for next-generation basketball. Thanks to an impressive amount of gameplay depth and options, it appears that Live really is back."

Sounds to me like a ringing endorsement, what is with Operation Sports negative shade towards this game. We know you are 2k fanboys but represent the material properly.
It's funny when people use the "fan boy" approach...like their post history isn't visible to everyone...

# 28 BQ32 @ 11/12/13 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
It's funny when people use the "fan boy" approach...like their post history isn't visible to everyone...
Its funny that you would bring up my post history and the "fan boy" approach, because its usually the total opposite. I am closer to the ***** spectrum then the fanboy spectrum but, of course you must have taken a microscope to my previous posts lol.

Truthfully though 2k has been vastly overrated for years, it looks great but as a competitive online gamer it plays horribly if holding it to a sim standard. It annually is filled with exploits and cheese. I am very excited to have another outlet bringing two things I am passionate about together (basketball and videogaming). In this case they are including things in this game that I had been wishing 2k would do for years. Maybe it will be terrible but I am optimistic that for the first time in a basketball game I will be able to beat my opponents using superior basketball IQ and skills rather then knowledge and willingness to exploit. I would much rather have that then prettier graphics and smoother animations.

# 29 IV THA UNITY @ 11/12/13 04:26 PM
Synergy was in NBA LIVE 09 and 10, Just saying.

# 30 barimanlhs @ 11/12/13 05:12 PM
Quote:
Its funny that you would bring up my post history and the "fan boy" approach, because its usually the total opposite. I am closer to the ***** spectrum then the fanboy spectrum but, of course you must have taken a microscope to my previous posts lol.

Truthfully though 2k has been vastly overrated for years, it looks great but as a competitive online gamer it plays horribly if holding it to a sim standard. It annually is filled with exploits and cheese. I am very excited to have another outlet bringing two things I am passionate about together (basketball and videogaming). In this case they are including things in this game that I had been wishing 2k would do for years. Maybe it will be terrible but I am optimistic that for the first time in a basketball game I will be able to beat my opponents using superior basketball IQ and skills rather then knowledge and willingness to exploit. I would much rather have that then prettier graphics and smoother animations.
Whats this sim standard you refer to? Isnt it 2k (largely by default?) Obviously 2k has its issues but it has consistently released a competent basketball game that plays incredibly close to the real thing. One thing Live has had issues with was the general feel of how the game played (Live 10 aside, which isnt a glowing endorsement). It is concerning that we havent seen any gameplay from the Live team so close to launch, its hard to buy into a game without even seeing how it will play....luckily the demo will answer many questions once it comes out.

# 31 GisherJohn24 @ 11/12/13 05:23 PM
Quote:
Synergy was in NBA LIVE 09 and 10, Just saying.
Little more in depth this time tho

# 32 BQ32 @ 11/12/13 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barimanlhs
Whats this sim standard you refer to? Isnt it 2k (largely by default?) Obviously 2k has its issues but it has consistently released a competent basketball game that plays incredibly close to the real thing. One thing Live has had issues with was the general feel of how the game played (Live 10 aside, which isnt a glowing endorsement). It is concerning that we havent seen any gameplay from the Live team so close to launch, its hard to buy into a game without even seeing how it will play....luckily the demo will answer many questions once it comes out.
incredibly close to the real thing, sorry mate but no it does not, not even close. The animation system is great and they may look close to real player behaviors. But the game does NOT play basketball like its played in the NBA.

Edit: maybe we have different perspectives and this is how basketball is played to you, but for me, and I have spent my life dedicated to basketball, it is just endless frustration. There is no standard for a great sim basketball game. That is why I make my opinion heard, because I lust for it. I don't want these developers resting on their laurels. There has been no true innovation in basketball gameplay for a long while and I have hopes that Live this year will bring some.

# 33 GisherJohn24 @ 11/12/13 06:32 PM
2k has that " being rigged" from the opening tip syndrome. That sound right?

# 34 ccoaxum @ 11/12/13 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
cool forgot about that, its been so long since song brought that up...i wonder if the demo is going to allow you to play every game mode because nba live was suspose to let you be able to try all of the modes out if i uderstood them right..

# 35 poloelite @ 11/12/13 06:41 PM
After not releasing a game since Lebron was in Cleveland, I'm still skeptical about Live so close to launch. I have it reserved, but they haven't come through like I thought they would by this time. The fact that 5 on 5 gameplay isn't being shown or streamed yet bothers me. I know there's love for Live 10 around here, but I thought that didn't play well either (but it was the best Live in years). After all this time I was hoping they would be screaming about their product and how great it was. What happened to all the hype that go me to reserve this in the first place? "Live is being built solely for next gen, while 2K's time is split".. "EA has had more time to work on Live next gen than 2K" etc..

# 36 poloelite @ 11/12/13 06:44 PM
Quote:

Yo, what features does Live have to stop exploits?? I'm serious too, because the whole reason I don't play online is because EVERY bball game has cheese and exploits. Share man.

# 37 TheHypeMachine6 @ 11/12/13 06:49 PM
There is lots of talk that competition is back, NBA Live vs NBA 2K. I dont think so, I see one company taking risks, throwing themselves at our mercy (already launched CG, gameplay vids of NG) & another which is supposed to be making this glorious reboot and have done pretty much nothing (other than repeated screen shots that are meant to wow us), explain to me where the competition is?? If Live fails to meet expectations this year, it will be just as easy as last time for them to pull the plug, yes we as avid gamers will suffer, but its the company that didn't have the balls that will take the blame for not making moves & pushing their game out with solid confidents.

# 38 ccoaxum @ 11/12/13 06:49 PM
Quote:

They show Ultimate team mode, live season mode(play along with your favorite team as they go through their season,Rewind mode, Big moments/ challenges), those things they have showed or mention...of course on the podcast they mention the different things you can do online and breifly talked about Dyntasy mode

# 39 ccoaxum @ 11/12/13 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
Yo, what features does Live have to stop exploits?? I'm serious too, because the whole reason I don't play online is because EVERY bball game has cheese and exploits. Share man.
i think just the way you play their game is going to being the difference and the way they are doing their ratings this year should help as well taken synery data to the next level...this game is something you would have to play not look at and read about which is what they rather ppl do

# 40 TheHypeMachine6 @ 11/12/13 06:55 PM
"However, not all is good news as NBA Live 14 checks in at #65 on the best-sellers list. Considering we have seen exactly zero actual gameplay, there is a chance the series could be set for a very disappointing re-launch sales wise. If reviews of Live 14 come in low, it will be interesting to see how much stomach for the series' future EA is going to have. With Live 14 hitting shelves next Tuesday, there's no wonder people are hesitant about pulling the trigger -- the only hope for the series seeing success commercially will have to be on a very surprising strong critical performance to drive word of mouth sales."

R.I.P NBA Live

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.