Home
FIFA 14 News Post

In what is turning out to be, thus far, the biggest critical success of the next-gen launch season -- FIFA Soccer 14 is now in the hands of tons of gamers who have bought PS4s.

What do you think of the next-gen game? Share your impressions below!

Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Altimus @ 11/20/13 05:48 PM
Lack of fouls really kills the immersion of this game; might be even less than last generation 14.

# 42 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 11/20/13 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Lack of fouls really kills the immersion of this game; might be even less than last generation 14.
Oh, goodness. I really hope they patch that ASAP.

# 43 therizing02 @ 11/20/13 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
Oh, goodness. I really hope they patch that ASAP.
I hear ya, but I wouldn't count on it. For some reason unknown to man I have a feeling that they think fouls take the "fun factor" out of the game. It's just a dev team philosophy.

# 44 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 11/20/13 07:28 PM
That's silly because I live for the free kicks

# 45 tdoggy57 @ 11/21/13 08:52 AM
Loving this game so far. I've played 40+ matches in my career mode and I must say that it is awesome. I skipped Fifa for the 360 this year to wait for the PS4 version and I'm glad I did.

There's definitely a lack of fouls. I've gotten some penalties, but very few free kicks. It could be improved on but it's not a game killer to me. It doesn't give either side a fair advantage, and the flow of the game is nice.

There has always been that grey area between difficulty levels. Professional can be a little too easy once you've had ample time with the game, while World Class always seemed impossible to me. I haven't tried World Class yet on the PS4, but I've been enjoying Professional. In my second year with Milan, I lost to Bologna in my first game, beat Napoli in my second, and tied with Inter in my 3rd.

# 46 NightmareBooster @ 11/21/13 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
I want to like FIFA, but honestly the way they surreptitiously removed features from the next-gen version makes me mark down the game considerably. As someone who uses those features a gross majority of the time while playing FIFA, it basically neuters my interest in the game. Think of it as coming in and playing Madden '06 as it existed on the 360.

To warn anyone looking at this game for PS4 or X1 - if you use tournaments/creation centre or the like, do not buy the next-gen version. They are not included. If those things don't matter to you, I imagine you'll enjoy the game.
They removed the Creation Centre? WTF?!?!

# 47 Azamien @ 11/21/13 09:32 AM
Quote:
I'm curious: Do you play on slow speed?

I ask because I was playing on normal, and I was seeing an average of seven combined fouls per match with 10 minute halves. Not great, but really not bad at all.

I decided that I was ready to try out some sliders because of the minor flaws in the game and moved to slow speed with Orion's set, and played a match with zero fouls (for both sides) on 15 minute halves. It makes me wonder.

# 48 KG @ 11/21/13 10:02 AM
Only played one half at the demo kiosk in Best Buy. I have no idea what level it was on but I know it wasn't WC/Legendary by the way the defenders weren't closing down. I didn't get '14 on CG since I knew I was getting a NG system and didn't put in any time with the CG demo. It was also on the PS4 and I hate that controller.

That disclaimer aside I immediately noticed how smooth the game was. Animations branched together seamlessly and the graphics really popped. I thought it was due to the TV they had set up but after asking the TV wasn't a 4k one, just a regular 1080p Samsung.

I'm strictly a CM guy with the occasional online game vs a buddy or 2 so the removal of Tournaments & Creation Center don't impact me but I feel sorry for those who miss it. I think it's kind of shady that companies (EA & 2K for example) don't put out a comparison list of features for their CG & NG offerings so people will know what to expect.

# 49 VTPack919 @ 11/21/13 10:08 AM
Quote:
We have to be doing something different. I am seeing a lot more fouls than I ever did in 14 last gen.

I even saw Pepe get yellow carded for trying to move closer to me during a free kick. It was awesome.

# 50 Azamien @ 11/21/13 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
I'm curious: Do you play on slow speed?

I ask because I was playing on normal, and I was seeing an average of seven combined fouls per match with 10 minute halves. Not great, but really not bad at all.

I decided that I was ready to try out some sliders because of the minor flaws in the game and moved to slow speed with Orion's set, and played a match with zero fouls (for both sides) on 15 minute halves. It makes me wonder.
Never mind the above post. I think it's actually tied to difficulty. Prior to loading up Orion's sliders I was playing on default Pro and seeing a lot of fouls. Now at World Class I'm seeing almost none. I think I had one (combined) in two matches, with maybe a couple more advantages played.

If I had to guess, part of the difficulty increase is that the CPU tackles more precisely, making fouls go away. And since the CPU makes better and quicker passing decisions on World Class/Legendary than on Pro, my fouls go down as well.

If I'm right, it kind of sucks. Pro is just too easy at the end of the day, but it seems to be where the fouls are.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm just seeing some sort of placebo effect.

# 51 bwiggy33 @ 11/21/13 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
Never mind the above post. I think it's actually tied to difficulty. Prior to loading up Orion's sliders I was playing on default Pro and seeing a lot of fouls. Now at World Class I'm seeing almost none. I think I had one (combined) in two matches, with maybe a couple more advantages played.

If I had to guess, part of the difficulty increase is that the CPU tackles more precisely, making fouls go away. And since the CPU makes better and quicker passing decisions on World Class/Legendary than on Pro, my fouls go down as well.

If I'm right, it kind of sucks. Pro is just too easy at the end of the day, but it seems to be where the fouls are.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm just seeing some sort of placebo effect.
That's a very logical explanation for this problem. Lack of fouls are the number one thing that need fixing in this game IMO. It all has to do with the gameplay though, so patching it really won't help all that much. EA needs to figure out a foul system that works with their gameplay. Hopefully this will be accomplished at some point because it really does hurt the experience. I've grown to accept it though and this is the first year that I've truly enjoyed FIFA.

I'm extremely excited to get the next gen version on PS4 today. I wasn't going to because I'm very content with it on current gen, but the improvements seem significant enough to upgrade. Plus I don't play single season or tournament so I'm good to go on that front.

# 52 Chronic Narnia @ 11/21/13 01:52 PM
Does anyone's game ever "lag" or "stutter" briefly switching views after a goal kick or corner kick?

# 53 falcons2003 @ 11/21/13 10:32 PM
I'm brand new to the game. I just wanted to start a simple season mode to start with but didn't see an option for it. Do I need to choose the my gm mode or my player ? and if I choose gm mode can I turn alot of the options off so I can just worry about playing the games?

I eventually want to dig deeper into the game, but just starting out I want to get the controls and gameplay down.

# 54 laxman490 @ 11/22/13 09:51 AM
i guess an Xbox One thread hasn't been made yet, but i just got it for that and i think its great. i assume its pretty much the same as ps4. i love how loose balls really feel like 50-50 balls and that there is a fight to gain possession. new shooting animations are great and love the in-game replays.

# 55 JJT @ 11/22/13 12:03 PM
I agree with the above well worth the upgrade! Looks beautiful!

# 56 bwiggy33 @ 11/22/13 05:33 PM
Finally was able to play this today since I got my PS4. The first thing I did was plug in Orion's sliders. All I can say is WOW! This is absolutely incredible. I normally don't play on broadcast cam but for this occasion I put it on that to see what the graphics were like during gameplay. The difference between next and current gen isn't massive, but boy oh boy are there improvements. The colors, jerseys, fans, and everything just pops.

As for the gameplay, man am I happy I upgraded. The animations are absolutely unbelievable. Gone are the days of players falling on the pitch awkwardly and flailing in the air. The physicality, tackles, and everything else is just really well done. It's not drastically different, but the differences that are there can be felt immediately.

Coolest thing I saw today other than the jockeying and tackling animations was my very first game. I was Chelsea and got slaughtered by Arsenal. I was just in complete awe of the game and coupling that with switching to PS4, my game isn't quite as good. Anyway Ozil gets a great chance in the box. To the point of how did he miss it. The replay comes and he miss hit the ball. He pounded the ball into the ground and the ball spin/physics made it go wide of the net and with very little pace. It was just unbelievable looking.

The broadcast cam is very difficult to adjust to, but for anyone who hasn't tried it, do it. You can see everything. From the ball boys throwing balls on the sideline, ball physics, tackles, the camera behind the net moving, crowd jumping up and down, etc. I've never been to Stamford Bridge, but I honestly felt like I was there watching a game today. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep practicing on broadcast or move back to the default one which I think is Tele. I so badly want to stay on broadcast but I have the feeling my game will go to hell because I can't see where my players are at all times.

Anyway I cannot wait to continue playing this game tonight. I got 2k B-ball as well but FIFA to me is better thus far and I've played both the same amount. This could of course be due to the fact I love Soccer and I really dislike the NBA. Don't get me wrong though NBA is a fantastic game.

# 57 cubsfan1221 @ 11/22/13 07:44 PM
can someone point me to where I can find Orion's sliders that everyone is talking about

# 58 jvalverde88 @ 11/22/13 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan1221
can someone point me to where I can find Orion's sliders that everyone is talking about
Orion's Next Gen Full Manual FIFA 14 Slider Set

# 59 RandyBass @ 11/22/13 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
...For some reason unknown to man I have a feeling that they think fouls take the "fun factor" out of the game. It's just a dev team philosophy.
I think the omission of fouls is a company wide policy.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they hired some firm to do testing for them, to see what the general consensus was regarding the most sellable game. Results of this testing? People don't like fouls, so default settings are all made sure to have as few fouls as possible.

EA doesn't really seem to strive to make the best games anymore, they seem to strive to make the most sellable game, to boost their stock price whatever the cost.

It's pretty much carbon copy for business in America: company starts out in the hands of creative individuals with fresh and innovative ideas, company starts to grow as product starts to do well, company goes public as the original founders essentially cash in their chips, company is then overrun by the soullessness of Wall Street who then drain it of everything that made it good in the first place, and finally the company is then replaced by a shell of it's former self and either hobbles along with the aid of marketing and public relations or the company is completely gutted by a fold or a buy out.

^An overgeneralization, but you'd be surprised how much of it actually rings true.

# 60 KG @ 11/22/13 09:28 PM
Just a couple of quick things that need changing:

Throw-ins - The ability to select who will throw the ball-in. If I'm up late and I have single ST up top I don't want him throwing the ball in if he's the closest player. I'd like to waste time in this situation. I'd still like to be able to take quick-throws if I want in certain situations.

Time - I don't understand how FIFA can have this wrong for so long. I hate seeing the clock stop in regular time, let alone stoppage time. When you get into stoppage time you have to gauge by feel when the official will blow the final whistle.

I'd say the first point is minor compared to the 2nd.

Edit: Decided to start an ongoing list of issues & potential solutions in my blog so I don't clutter this thread up. The posts can get rather tedious so maybe I'll just summarize them in here. If anyone cares:

http://www.operationsports.com/KG/bl...sues-blog-xb1/

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.