Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

EA Sports has shipped NBA Live 14 today. Please play a few games and post your impressions here. As always, we'd like to see how the community feels about the game.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 RoyalBoyle78 @ 11/20/13 10:34 AM
I downloaded the demo last night ands The game to me isnt bad at all, plays a good game, as I loved NBA live 10 maybe thats why.

My only beef is as a knicks fan, Why does LIVE have a more complete MSG then 2k14.

In Live they even have Madison Square Garden written on the court, how do they have that and 2k doesn't?

# 62 GisherJohn24 @ 11/20/13 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
I downloaded the demo last night ands The game to me isnt bad at all, plays a good game, as I loved NBA live 10 maybe thats why.

My only beef is as a knicks fan, Why does LIVE have a more complete MSG then 2k14.

In Live they even have Madison Square Garden written on the court, how do they have that and 2k doesn't?
EA has more money to spend on that. 2K on the other hand focused on the game itself, not writing on a court.

# 63 RoyalBoyle78 @ 11/20/13 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
EA has more money to spend on that. 2K on the other hand focused on the game itself, not writing on a court.
yeah but its been like that for years in 2k, hasn't been there, you see all the other Area's name. No MSG..Weird.

# 64 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/20/13 11:48 AM
Sooooo after playing some more last night I've decided that this game isn't worth $60 price tag. Luckily I didn't have to fork out that much as I had trade that helped me.

IMO, Live 10 plays soooo much better. Not sure what they did, but this really isn't a finished product. There are some things that Live does really well, but there are A LOT of things it does wrong.

The most glaring issue I have is the BounceTek. It doesn't feel as smooth as the videos that were shown. It feels very sluggish (the whole game feels that way) and not very well done. Maybe it's just me cause I don't know exactly how to do any of the moves. A gym/practice mode or Live 10's hangar would've helped here.

Instead of going deep on some other things that I didn't like I'll just list them.

1. Too many elbow blocks, Live 10 had the same issues.
2. Holding the L1 button, D-pad and moving your player with the L3 to call plays is way too complicated.
3. Hitting the Triangle button to hop step or step back will get you anywhere you need to go.
4. Playing defense by hold L2 feels too tight and sluggish. This causes a lot of dribble drives in the lane.
5. With all the foul sliders at 100 there are still not enough fouls called.
6. More animations should be included when a player is jumping. Just looks awkward when guys jump up.

Those are just a few, but the good thing about all of those that I mention is that they're fixable with a patch or next year. So IMO the future is bright IF they build from here and not try to start over again.

Some things that I liked.

1. I really, really love the pace of the game. The cpu plays a very deliberate pace, but will push when they have the chance.
2. I didn't see the cpu PG dribbling and crossing over just to get in the paint.
3. CPU will us a lot of P&R or ISO's in the correct situations.
4. Melo and Harden (Only played 2 games of 12 min quarters) really played like themselves and felt the CPU took advantage of match ups.
5. I like the ESPN commentary and presentation. Guys checking in at the scorers table, warm-ups on the bench are all part of the presentation.

All in all, while it doesn't look the best or play as smooth as it should it shows EA has taken a very sim approach to the game.

Once I get the controls down and a way to move my fingers to call plays it could become more enjoyable.

That's all I got for now.

# 65 aholbert32 @ 11/20/13 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
yeah but its been like that for years in 2k, hasn't been there, you see all the other Area's name. No MSG..Weird.
Its not weird. The license to use the MSG name is expensive and 2k isnt willing to pay it when they can make an arena that is 95% the same as MSG and not have to spend money for the license. EA is willing to do that for Live. They havent been willing to do that for other games though. Fight Night has a MSG like arena but doesnt use the MSG name.

# 66 shawnydee @ 11/20/13 12:55 PM
i went to get the game yesterday and im dissapointed about the controls. i wonder if i should fo exchange it for bf4 what do you guys think

# 67 The 24th Letter @ 11/20/13 01:05 PM
After playing this all of yesterday, wanting to give it a fair shake:

I love the presentation...the overlays, halftime show, all of it is just great...I kind've understand why people want licensed presentation now, really draws you in..

I'm generally disappointed with everything else..

No amount of car paint metaphors can justify the fact that the game looks and animates like a last gen game...part of the gaming experience is the visuals...just like I mentioned with the presentation drawing me in, all the other visuals push me away..

It's not a situation where the game just lacks visual polish either. The movement and control is supposed to be the staple of this series and the game is lacking there...everything is incredibly sluggish and clunky...I feel like there's no real sense of speed, and the game doesn't reflect the athleticism of the NBA game. It's cool that the A.I plays at a slow pace...but this is he case with every team...I think this is what the misguided reviewer meant "every one plays like the Spurs" of course he was wrong, but I think he meant the slow place of the early 00 teams..

Anyway, This game is a foundation in the sense that EA released a NBA game...but other than that, it's just not a very good game...well see what NBA LIVE 15 brings...

# 68 GisherJohn24 @ 11/20/13 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
After playing this all of yesterday, wanting to give it a fair shake:

I love the presentation...the overlays, halftime show, all of it is just great...I kind've understand why people want licensed presentation now, really draws you in..

I'm generally disappointed with everything else..

No amount of car paint metaphors can justify the fact that the game looks and animates like a last gen game...part of the gaming experience is the visuals...just like I mentioned with the presentation drawing me in, all the other visuals push me away..

It's not a situation where the game just lacks visual polish either. The movement and control is supposed to be the staple of this series and the game is lacking there...everything is incredibly sluggish and clunky...I feel like there's no real sense of speed, and the game doesn't reflect the athleticism of the NBA game. It's cool that the A.I plays at a slow pace...but this is he case with every team...I think this is what the misguided reviewer meant "every one plays like the Spurs" of course he was wrong, but I think he meant the slow place of the early 00 teams..

Anyway, This game is a foundation in the sense that EA released a NBA game...but other than that, it's just not a very good game...well see what NBA LIVE 15 brings...
i can't see them making 15. People are most likely returing this game to Lamestop already...

# 69 shutdown10 @ 11/20/13 03:06 PM
If Scott O. Gallagher comes back on these boards I would like to ask him if the funding and support from the EA execs were limited for this game. Was this game an attempt as a money grab? You cannot tell me that this game is a solid base when a game made four years ago(NBA Live 10) played a much better game then this. Live 10 had better control, hustle plays, emotion, better crowd interaction, better commentary with Marv Albert and Steve Kerr, and better player models in my opinion. With this game not selling enough copies, this may be are final time seeing the NBA live franchise.

# 70 King_B_Mack @ 11/20/13 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown10
If Scott O. Gallagher comes back on these boards I would like to ask him if the funding and support from the EA execs were limited for this game. Was this game an attempt as a money grab? You cannot tell me that this game is a solid base when a game made four years ago(NBA Live 10) played a much better game then this. Live 10 had better control, hustle plays, emotion, better crowd interaction, better commentary with Marv Albert and Steve Kerr, and better player models in my opinion. With this game not selling enough copies, this may be are final time seeing the NBA live franchise.
Don't even waste the keystrokes man. Even if he could answer that, he wouldn't.

# 71 Boilerbuzz @ 11/20/13 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Don't even waste the keystrokes man. Even if he could answer that, he wouldn't.
This is true. And folks REALLY need to remember my warning from before - this is a NEW team. There was no "pedigree" on that team. The EAC studio team was dismantled. The team had just been constructed less this 2 years ago. OG's knowledge and passion I never questioned. The team and STUDIO for that matter is the entity I questioned. And from what I'm seeing, those concerns were warranted in my opinion.

# 72 kidfromqueens @ 11/20/13 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
To people who have the game - How do you shoot a floater?
You press L1 (LT) and square (x) while driving to hoop

# 73 kidfromqueens @ 11/20/13 05:08 PM
I played this with an open mind and ended up having some fun after learning controls, quick plays, and how to run pick and roll. There is a learning curve coming from 2k with no shot stick.

What I liked:
1) The a.i seems pretty realistic especially when i turned up the difficulty (cpu iso'd melo, ran pnr's with cp3 and BG, a lot cuts and screens for chicago).
2) The presentation looks good as far as the ESPN look 3) The spacing is very good actually.
3) Once watching Scott OG's stream where explained dribble moves, I really had fun breaking down some guys off the dribble especially with the sig moves.
4) The sim elements of the game are impressive to me. The half court game is emphasized. You have to call plays to score and get some movement. Its a little refreshing coming from 2k with its many fastbreak lebron spindunking cheesers.

What I disliked: 1) First and foremost, The animations need plenty of work. They are sluggish when trying to explode to the hoop. I seen some quirky shot animations when trying to shoot off the dribble. They seem to be lacking some animations dealing with contact when driving to rim because hardly any fouls get called in a game. Although when turning fouls all the way up its slightly better.
2) Graphically in replay mode zoomed in, the players don't look TOO bad. But in 5 on 5, I can hardly tell the difference from Live 10. Graphics don't bug me but not $60 when 2k looks so amazing.
3) The players feel so sluggish sometimes. They aren't a lot of fastbreaks, probably around 3 or 4 combined in an entire game when I played.

Sorry for the long post.

# 74 kidfromqueens @ 11/20/13 05:13 PM
OH WAIT and one more huge dislike. THE COMMENTARY... JVG is fine but Breen's play by play on seemingly every little play reminds me of live 2006 on ps2 lol "passes to shumpert, back to felton" etc. You never get the feel of real color commentary and conversations about players are very general and not specific. Even when they go on a tangent about a player the conversation never goes very far. It makes me feel like that the two were probably not recording together often. One very annoying thing to me was when I hit a game winner neither of the two reacted or even said anything at all

# 75 Guard-ian @ 11/20/13 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfromqueens
Sorry for the long post.
Why sorry? These are the kind of posts I am looking forward to read: constructive criticism without fanboyism, thanks for the impresions dude... ;-)

# 76 kidfromqueens @ 11/20/13 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-ian
Why sorry? These are the kind of posts I am looking forward to read: constructive criticism without fanboyism, thanks for the impresions dude... ;-)
Thanks man. I was looking forward to this game alot. I expected alot more which I was foolish for. But the game is playable to me atleast. The thing about the game releasing is that we can play and give feedback. But it's up to them to listen to us and make improvements for 15, if there is a 15...

# 77 swaggedout @ 11/20/13 07:49 PM
Are there any other camera angles. I'm just curious about what this game looks like from a closer view. It seems that all the videos posted are from top deck of the arena.

# 78 fluent2332 @ 11/20/13 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggedout
Are there any other camera angles. I'm just curious about what this game looks like from a closer view. It seems that all the videos posted are from top deck of the arena.
There's a broadcast camera that looks closer. I forget which videos showed that off, but it made the graphics look better, I thought.

# 79 swaggedout @ 11/20/13 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
There's a broadcast camera that looks closer. I forget which videos showed that off, but it made the graphics look better, I thought.
Someone needs to post a vid from the broadcast view. So far the videos shown does the game no justice.

# 80 jyoung @ 11/20/13 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggedout
You get five cameras to pick from, and only the two broadcast ones are playable at all IMO.

ESPN = Standard side-to-side TV camera.
EA Sports = Same as the above, just pulled in slightly closer.

Baseline High = A top-down overhead camera. Currently, the frame rate is incredibly choppy, making this view unplayable.
Baseline Low = Same thing as above.

My Player = An even lower and closer version of the baseline cameras. The frame rate is steady, but the perspective is so awful that it's unplayable.

You cannot customize any of these views.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.