Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Kobe Bryant signed a two year deal worth $48.5 million, which means he will remain the highest paid player in the NBA over the next two seasons. One has to figure this is LA's last chance to get in on winning an NBA Championship with Kobe as part of the mix.

Big name free agents are coming onto the market, plus plenty of second tier talent. If you were playing as the Lakers GM, would you go after a superstar like LeBron to join Kobe or would you seek to upgrade the overall talent of the team with smaller signings with the limited cap space you have going into next year?

Sound off in the comments below!

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 tril @ 11/26/13 03:14 AM
next year you bring in Carmello!! and Eric Bledsoe as a pg, plus theyll get a good draft pick.
in 2015 you bring in Anthony Davis as a PF.
Brook Lopez or Roy Hibbert as a big man.

in 2015/16 you can have a starting line up of

Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anothony Davis
and Brook LOpez or Roy Hibbert.

# 22 Peninc @ 11/26/13 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
From a Revenue Standpoint the deal makes sense. The amount of Money Kobe generates for the Lakers is absurd. His value to the team is probably triple of what his contract is paying him. He brings in sellout crowds night after night. He'll be worth the money at least in terms of a business decision.

Am I happy that he took that much? Of Course not. I wouldn't say it financially cripples them (Because they have enough for a Max contract) but it's not the greatest deal for a team that's trying to win now.

Gasol is gone after this year. The only other player I could really see coming back from this years roster outside of Nash and Sacre is Jordan Hill. If you can get him for cheap I say go for it. He has shown that he is clearly worthy of being a starting center. They aren't getting Lebron and Melo does not fit with this team. Kevin Love is a possibility the following off season but you can't put all your eggs in one basket.

I have honestly no clue who the Lakers will surround Kobe with. I'm not expecting them to win a title for at least the rest of Kobe's career especially with this contract. I am happy though that He will retire as a Laker but it will be a shame that LA can't get him a sixth ring. Something that I don't understand is why he wouldn't take less money? He's played 17 Years in the league and between that and endorsements He's probably loaded. I'm not asking for him to have taken the Minimum but couldn't you pull a Tim Duncan and take 10 Million? I just don't get it, you clearly want to win another title. Less money taken = more money available for team to sign better players.
The Lakers organisation offered Kobe the contract. He merely accepted and signed the dotted line. The organisation is one of the smartest in basketball. Mitch Kupchak knows what he is doing. Furthermore I personally think its one of the few examples of loyalty that you will find in modern sports. Only a few franchises would ever do this. San Antonio with Duncan maybe. But back to the question...I'm not sure who they could surround Kobe with but I think Greg Monroe would be a good fit and for some reason I can almost foretell that Kyrie Irving will eventually become a Laker.

# 23 wisdom @ 11/26/13 08:02 AM
15 M PER YEAR SHOULD BE FINE.... BUT 25 M per year is just too much

# 24 Slater James @ 11/26/13 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peninc
The organisation is one of the smartest in basketball.
This used to be true. With Jim Buss at the helm it is no longer. This decision guarantees the Lakers a spot in the middle of the pack. The absolute worst position to be in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

# 25 CoachDavid @ 11/26/13 09:08 AM
They need a silent, demanding, but patient owner, and a new coach. Once they do this my Lakers will be contenders.
I can't watch them play under the current coach and for the first time since the NBA package has been offered did not renew.
Come on Lakers, stop being the poster child for not leaving the family business to your children (true study)

# 26 cgalligan @ 11/26/13 09:21 AM
Kobe is "box office" as Steven A. Smith would say... He himself fills the seats everywhere the Lakers go... From that aspect he's worth every penny...

Nobody knows if his on court production will stay high, but, you would be safe to assume it takes a large dip when he comes back...

That being said, they need to rebuild, quickly as Laker fans have zero patience... A guy like LeBron, Melo would do that, but in a few years you'd be in the same situation with player like that, nearing their 30's...

Right now, the Lakers need a cast of players that "buy in" to what the plan is... "The Plan" appears to be to ride Kobe as far as he can take them, because, I can't see any way he moves to the side, like DWade did, and allows someone else to be "the man" on "his team"

# 27 asu666 @ 11/26/13 09:37 AM
Say hello to Kevin Love.

# 28 LionsFanNJ @ 11/26/13 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
next year you bring in Carmello!! and Eric Bledsoe as a pg, plus theyll get a good draft pick.

Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anothony Davis
I count four Max contracts there. Impossible. Not to mention Lopez and Hibbert both signed long term already and the Lakers have nothing anyone wants in trade

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

# 29 OSUFan_88 @ 11/26/13 11:00 AM
A voodoo doctor and Ponce De Leon.

# 30 njdevils14 @ 11/26/13 11:02 AM
Quote:

Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anothony Davis
I don't even think you could pull this off in 2K

# 31 onac22 @ 11/26/13 12:47 PM
With his price tag? All they can surround him with is himself.

# 32 The__Answ3r_i3 @ 11/26/13 03:02 PM
Quote:

Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anothony Davis
what are you like 5? smh

# 33 blackceasar @ 11/26/13 03:04 PM
Kobe has been and will continue to make the Lakers franchise a ton of money. What they are paying him is peanuts compared to the financial return on the investment. However financial return is different than talent return. What I mean is I'm not mad about the price tag.. I'm more concerned about what's going to be left to build around him. I think Kobe wants to at least tie MJ in championships before he retires. This will be the last push to try and make that happen.

Also, the Lakers get a ton of national broadcast money, fans love him.. and seeing he's probably retiring after this contract people are going to want to see arguably one of the top 3 greatest players ever before he hangs them up.

# 34 truzoe @ 11/26/13 03:09 PM
Quote:

Eric Bledsoe
Kobe Bryant
Carmello Anthony
Anothony Davis
You have no idea how teams are set up and there is a cap they have to follow. Even if that was possible there would be no money to spread around and get a decent bench.

# 35 Dr. Banner @ 11/26/13 06:15 PM
Lol @ the Lakers.... It's so hilarious that people don't get that Kobe was never going anywhere, so they could of easily waited to sign him, and sign other free agents... And then signed him to this contract...they cost themselves two max players. Dumb.

# 36 malky @ 11/26/13 06:43 PM
Love the lakers but jr will have us in no mans land for a decade unless Jeannie buss pulls a coup....and to answer the question, we laker fans can only hope they win no more than 17 games the rest of the season that way we can hopefully secure wiggins or Parker or exum or randle or smart or Gordon , other than that there really is nobody out there to help us win number 17

# 37 slimm44 @ 11/26/13 07:30 PM
The Phoenix Suns training staff.

# 38 quehouston @ 11/26/13 09:08 PM
I'd love to see John Wall in LA, but realistically, probably Pau, Bosh and Deng.

# 39 CoachDavid @ 11/26/13 09:26 PM
No defense == no good == DAntoni

# 40 ojandpizza @ 11/26/13 09:30 PM
Why would Bosh leave Miami?? He's seems to really enjoy himself there, and seems to really get along with the guys on the team and goof off..

He's also been able to make 3straight finals appearances and knows what it's like to play on a struggling team..

Don't understand why he would consider leaving, assuming LeBron and Wade are around.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.