Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Virtual Currency (VC) in NBA 2K14 is a problem and if consumers don't voice their concerns, it's going to get worse.

Sure, there are ways to get free VC via the mobile app (if you can get it working), but gamers shouldn't be required to use VC to do simple tasks such as changing a lineup. We can understand using it in MyTeam (as it has been successful for EA Sports and Ultimate Team), but to have it added into other modes really has the community fired up. Customization isn't as fun as it once was, since VC is needed to update accessories and the ratio is ridiculous. Could this be next?

While there are many posts here at OS slamming it, other sites such as NeoGAF and Reddit have also been killing it from day one. PastaPadre has written a detailed article on it and the hate is spilling over.

VGRevolution warned users about it last year. Twitter is filled with complaints from users actually purchasing VC and not receiving it or crashing/freezing in modes, losing what they've earned. With no official word from 2K Sports, this is becoming a very large concern.

Where do you stand on VC?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 eslimm @ 12/11/13 12:43 PM
I hate VC implementation. Maybe keeping it in myteam but all the other stuff like tattoos is absurd. Especially when my basketball player has a salary of 50Vc every other week. I can't even get a tattoo with that salary wth. One day the servers were down so I just wanted to play blacktop mode and run a game with Kobe Bryant, nope couldn't do that because I had to pay hard earned VC just to unlock him. It's ridiculous and being that I wouldn't mind playing MyGM and mycareer I have to decide which one because I have to utilize my VC earned to accommodate one game mode Smh 2k you are seriously losing customer satisfaction

(Galaxy S4)

# 62 eslimm @ 12/11/13 12:50 PM
On the flip side this VC probably is what pays for these Legends to be on the game. They get paid for having their likenesses on the game, and if it was up to me I'd do away with them and maybe integrate a revolutionary create a player system... Idk am I reaching?

(Galaxy S4)

# 63 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Do you mean simming as a part of the MyGM experience? Or are you referring to simming in MyGM as a means of artificially farming Virtual Currency? If the latter, are you suggesting one of the most effective ways of earning what's available in NBA 2K14 comes through non-traditional gameplay and tedium? Further, what does 20,000 virtual currency allow a gamer to purchase? And is it possible to earn enough virtual currency through natural, fun gameplay in order to "unlock" all 2K14 has to offer in each mode?
Depends on what you play/need

# 64 Slater James @ 12/11/13 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Is it just coincidence that the VC logo on the VC coin looks like a piece of cheese?
This had me rolling lol...

The most galling thing to me is their doing this in spite of modes that include this "feature" being bug ridden or in some cases not working at all.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

# 65 AK47jr @ 12/11/13 12:56 PM
AS OF NOW 2K OWES ME $80 WORTH OF VC AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK. CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS. THEY TOLD ME TO CALL MICROSOFT FOR MY REFUND. THAT WAS INCORRECT. THIS 2K NEXT GEN IS A SCAM. NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES ON 360. I HAVE 5 TICKETS OPEN. THEY DONT RESOLVE ANYTHING. NONE OF MY MODES WORK. THIS CLOUD BASED SAVINGS SUCKS. I BELIEVE IT IS CAUSING THE ISSUES.

# 66 NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH @ 12/11/13 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
What's the difference between VC and 'gold' in an RPG?
exactly! have ppl forgotten about xbox live points already???

I think its been great for my player. ive been trying to work up my skills slowly, makes you really second guess what skills you want to increase. But in all honesty its been fun. I recommend everyone to try the park mode, u get a sense of players who have low overall but play really good, and vice versa.

# 67 swimfunk @ 12/11/13 12:58 PM
should have put VC on the cover... VC as in Vince Carter. lol

# 68 eslimm @ 12/11/13 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47jr
AS OF NOW 2K OWES ME $80 WORTH OF VC AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK. CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS. THEY TOLD ME TO CALL MICROSOFT FOR MY REFUND. THAT WAS INCORRECT. THIS 2K NEXT GEN IS A SCAM. NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES ON 360. I HAVE 5 TICKETS OPEN. THEY DONT RESOLVE ANYTHING. NONE OF MY MODES WORK. THIS CLOUD BASED SAVINGS SUCKS. I BELIEVE IT IS CAUSING THE ISSUES.
$80??? I would've stopped purchasing VC the first time it didn't work Smh

(Galaxy S4)

# 69 dom5552 @ 12/11/13 12:59 PM
Frankly, I would rather earn an actual 6-8 figure salary with my contract and pay for things with that instead of VC. They had the right idea before VC but damn, I cant really afford to have a good MyPLAYER with nice clothes. So I say get rid of VC and bring back "real" money figures.

# 70 VDusen04 @ 12/11/13 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslimm
On the flip side this VC probably is what pays for these Legends to be on the game. They get paid for having their likenesses on the game, and if it was up to me I'd do away with them and maybe integrate a revolutionary create a player system... Idk am I reaching?
With respect, I have always found these suppositions to be much too broad while potentially letting gaming companies off the hook. I would wonder how much DLC and microtransactions some would be willing to explain away simply as, "Well games are getting more expensive so it makes sense." My question would be, is Virtual Currency about 2K's survival and solvency? Or is it simply another money stream for a team who'd already properly budgeted before VC even came into the picture?

Further, I am unquestionably biased toward NBA legends' inclusion in the NBA 2K series. As a fan of the NBA (and of real life NBA replication and simulation) I have found classic teams to be one of the biggest breakthroughs in 2K series history. They're real teams and real players with real history. I feel they fit right in with what an NBA simulation should be all about.

Still, regarding the pay of legends, we don't really have a base upon which to stand. We don't really know how much players are being paid and what effect that monetary total has on the entire 2K brand. Is it a sizable dent in the budget? Or is it merely a blip?

Moreover, I feel there's many other aspects of 2K that'd be ripe for reduction before the inclusion of real life NBA basketball teams. To name two off hand: Euroleague teams and 2K's star-studded soundtrack. I feel as though times couldn't have been too hard if 2K was able to secure Jay-Z and all of his cohorts before VC was ever even introduced. I'd also venture to say 2K's sudden need and urge to sign mega-hit soundtrack stars as opposed to the underground angle they supported for their entire existence up until 2K12 would again suggest 2K's not necessarily fighting for survival and draping their entire product in Virtual Currency only so they may survive.

# 71 stephenk24 @ 12/11/13 01:04 PM
This whole VC thing sounds horrific, and I am far less excited about getting a copy when I get myself a new system next January...

Is there a season mode you can do to bypass all this? I don't care about losing the micromanaging options if it means I can just play a full season with no hindrances...

# 72 Vni @ 12/11/13 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47jr
$80 man. I'am not judging you but you're also a part of the problem. Why would they get ride of VC if people keep throwing their money away.

# 73 Marino @ 12/11/13 01:07 PM
They need to keep VC to something like MyTeam, similar to how Madden or Fifa does for Ultimate Team. It is insane to have it go towards everything.

# 74 WaddupCouzin @ 12/11/13 01:07 PM
I'm curious to know how much money they're making off it, cause I think that will be a better determiner as to if it sticks around or not. It's not really a biggie to me, but I guess I'm in the minority.

# 75 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslimm
I hate VC implementation. Maybe keeping it in myteam but all the other stuff like tattoos is absurd. Especially when my basketball player has a salary of 50Vc every other week. I can't even get a tattoo with that salary wth. One day the servers were down so I just wanted to play blacktop mode and run a game with Kobe Bryant, nope couldn't do that because I had to pay hard earned VC just to unlock him. It's ridiculous and being that I wouldn't mind playing MyGM and mycareer I have to decide which one because I have to utilize my VC earned to accommodate one game mode Smh 2k you are seriously losing customer satisfaction

(Galaxy S4)
You seriously can't get 200 VC for a tatoo?

# 76 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddupCouzin
I'm curious to know how much money they're making off it, cause I think that will be a better determiner as to if it sticks around or not. It's not really a biggie to me, but I guess I'm in the minority.
People can take it up on the forums but in reality a lot thousands of people out there that just play the game or watch youtube guys like QJB , Smoove ect will buy VC and not care

it's not going anywhere

# 77 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom5552
Frankly, I would rather earn an actual 6-8 figure salary with my contract and pay for things with that instead of VC. They had the right idea before VC but damn, I cant really afford to have a good MyPLAYER with nice clothes. So I say get rid of VC and bring back "real" money figures.
I really don't understand why people want to buy clothes and other useless stuff then complain about the prices

# 78 nuckles2k2 @ 12/11/13 01:15 PM
I'm not a fan of VC at all, but unfortunately I don't have time to play games like I once did.

So I was starting a MyCareer (the day after I got my PS4...11/16) and I decided to spend $5 to get some VC so I can have a SF with a speed and vertical above a 69 & 45 (silly, and obviously low-balled numbers to promote VC purchase)

Right after the money was taken from the wallet on the PSN, I got a "transaction failed: unknown error" message. Then it said "resolving a prior failed transaction" and after that it said "An error occurred with your VC purchase. This will be resolved at the next available opportunity."

I thought 'alright then..'

Waited 2 days, and that "next available opportunity" never arrived. So I started a support ticket on 2K's support site:

We're 5 days away from a month with this issue, and nothing.

2K needs to take a look at the way they do things from top to bottom. It's one thing to tell me that I'm gonna need to buy VC to play a mode with a dude who can..****n and jump...from the very beginning.

But when I cave in and say "alright, I'll get some VC" and then they take, and presumably receive my money, but I don't receive what I paid for, AND THEN THEY HAVE ME WAITING DAMN NEAR A MONTH FOR RESOLUTION.

I don't even know...

And forget calling them. Over that course of time, I called 4 times. The average wait while I had to listing to that infuriating music, and the recorded "we appreciate your patience, please stay on the line and our next available agent will be right with you"...the average wait was somewhere around 20 mins.

The last time I called, I literally waited 35 mins to have a dude tell me that "my complaint was in the queue, and I'll get an email when they resolve it."

So I got slapped in the face in the game when I created my All-Around SF who apparently can't run, can't jump, is slow as molasses, and has no stamina; and when I spend $5 to correct this situation, they take my money then say "holup, we'll be right with ya...when we damn well please...so yea....wait.."

That's enough to wanna make you elbow someone in the eye.

So there's more than one ugly side to this VC fiasco. But no matter how you slice it, chances are needed.

# 79 eslimm @ 12/11/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
You seriously can't get 200 VC for a tatoo?
I can, but I choose not to when I have other important things to prioritize in the game such as my player abilities and signature skills, shot animations and even gm abilities in MyGM so NO while all the others I listed above is what I would prefer to spend VC on I don't have any remaining to pay for tattoos

(Galaxy S4)

# 80 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
They need to keep VC to something like MyTeam, similar to how Madden or Fifa does for Ultimate Team. It is insane to have it go towards everything.
They should keep it in MyCareer , MyTeam take it out everything else and in both of those modes lower the prices somebody said its like 11-14k for one pack? thats crazy

What i hate is not being able to earn any VC from just regular quick games and i can't earn any VC when i PLAYER LOCK that is just stupid to be quiet honest im playing the game who cares if i want to control 1 player only

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.