Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Virtual Currency (VC) in NBA 2K14 is a problem and if consumers don't voice their concerns, it's going to get worse.

Sure, there are ways to get free VC via the mobile app (if you can get it working), but gamers shouldn't be required to use VC to do simple tasks such as changing a lineup. We can understand using it in MyTeam (as it has been successful for EA Sports and Ultimate Team), but to have it added into other modes really has the community fired up. Customization isn't as fun as it once was, since VC is needed to update accessories and the ratio is ridiculous. Could this be next?

While there are many posts here at OS slamming it, other sites such as NeoGAF and Reddit have also been killing it from day one. PastaPadre has written a detailed article on it and the hate is spilling over.

VGRevolution warned users about it last year. Twitter is filled with complaints from users actually purchasing VC and not receiving it or crashing/freezing in modes, losing what they've earned. With no official word from 2K Sports, this is becoming a very large concern.

Where do you stand on VC?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 VDusen04 @ 12/11/13 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
Its unfortunate that this is the future of gaming. Micro-transactions. I read an article about this a while ago and sort of let it go by the wayside.

Now it seems to be ruining one of my favorite franchises. Its sickening that 2k hasn't addressed this at all.

Noone asked for VC here, so some of you defending it and saying "I don't mind VC.." stop it.

VC was pretty much thrown on us. Yes, some of us dabbled with it but that doesn't mean we wanted it or wanted it implemented in every gamemode controlling routine tasks such as setting rotations?

ugh
That's one of my biggest questions throughout all of this. Who asked for Virtual Currency? Of all the wishlists and feedback through the years, I cannot recall a clamoring along the lines of, "You know what? I think we need a really, really corny storyline in MyPlayer that forces all of us to take the exact same path. And you know what else? I'm tired of players getting paid with real salaries and I hate earning a lot of cool things while I play. I just wish there were some sort of alternative currency system that could take the place of money and really restrict my experience..."

It kind of reminds me of the Association alterations as well. I don't really recall "Less Control and make us pay golden coins for everything" making the cut atop consumer wishlists.

# 102 VDusen04 @ 12/11/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
You can easily get 20-30k VC just off simming in MyGM and its really your choice to buy it or not nobody is forcing you to press X on purchase
Quote:
I did it in only a couple of hours was not hard at all it gets boring but oh well
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
To clarify, your solution for consumers wishing to earn enough virtual currency to fully enjoy their purchased product is to "easily" spend multiple hours of banality in an attempt to game the game?
Quote:
Did i say you have to simulate it? play it if you want and earn more
Quote:
That's my fault. I didn't understand that you meant you could earn 30,000 virtual coins by actually just playing the games in your MyGM for a few hours without any simming. That seems kind of crazy. How did you pull that off?
Quote:
wow...i said in a few hours as in say anywhere from 6-12 you can earn 30k off simulating it alone if you complete the goals which are not hard to do

if you want to play 25-30 games for that 30k VC go ahead im not doing that
Now I'm thoroughly confused. First you said earning 30,000 would require some easy simming. Then you stated it'd take a few hours of simming. And then you said it didn't take simming. But now you're saying it not only takes simming, but 6-12 hours worth?

# 103 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollooff320
I reset every season and it still have moments when you don't get anything. Going through 2 seasons will take to much time because you have to manage offseason duties which don't even earn you anything. I quit when I have to release Beasley and get my 100VC and quit.
Weird i don't have that problem until i go after season 2 i always put Beasley at the 3 starting and Lebron at the 4 i rather have him happy and Battier pissed off ..

Player's moods need to honestly go every single role player gets pissed off when they're not starting over stars

# 104 godylla @ 12/11/13 01:57 PM
I think the amount of VC for some things is ridiculous. But I think if 2K did promotions like COD does (at least they used to) with having 2x VC weekends or making the amounts you win using the app (picking games and envelopes) worth more VC, it would be easier to deal with how you have to spend VC in MYGM.

# 105 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 01:58 PM
Quote:
Now I'm thoroughly confused. First you said earning 30,000 would require some easy simming. Then you stated it'd take a few hours of simming. And then you said it didn't take simming. But now you're saying it not only takes simming, but 6-12 hours worth?
omg..

You can simulate MyGM for a couple of hours im not sure exactly how long it takes because i don't keep a time limit unfortunately for you and you can get up to 30k i've done it a few times already but it gets boring after a while.

Or you can go play 20-30 games and earn the same amount and go through all the unrealistic rosters for the same amount

What don't you understand?

# 106 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godylla
I think the amount of VC for some things is ridiculous. But I think if 2K did promotions like COD does (at least they used to) with having 2x VC weekends or making the amounts you win using the app (picking games and envelopes) worth more VC, it would be easier to deal with how you have to spend VC in MYGM.
If you go on 2k today they put 30% off bobcats gear thats the only thing they'll do

# 107 asu666 @ 12/11/13 02:08 PM
I'm happy to see this article on Operation Sports. The VC system in NBA 2K14 (next gen) ruined the game for me. NBA 2K14 was the PS4 game I wanted most before launch and I even shelled out an extra $30 on the first day to unlock all the features I wanted to use right away. Then, the more I played, the more disappointed I was in everything missing from the final product (e.g., Cheerleaders, people moving in the stands, warm ups, non-unified slider settings, etc.).

The final straw was when I went to play My GM and got a message telling me I couldn't play my single-player Association because I couldn't connect to the 2K server. That was it. I was done. The game went back to where I purchased it defective. I understood I would be able to play the game offline and that's just not the case. Add in the bugs and all the missing features, and my disappointment is off the charts.

Even though I've been a huge 2K fan for years, NBA 2K14 is the last game I'm giving a chance until offline single-player returns and the overall quality of the product increases.

# 108 quehouston @ 12/11/13 02:09 PM
#GetRidOfVC2013

Unless you are using the revenue to buy the College Hoops license back. But if not..

#GetRidOfVC2013

# 109 VDusen04 @ 12/11/13 02:11 PM
Quote:
omg..

You can simulate MyGM for a couple of hours im not sure exactly how long it takes because i don't keep a time limit unfortunately for you and you can get up to 30k i've done it a few times already but it gets boring after a while.

Or you can go play 20-30 games and earn the same amount and go through all the unrealistic rosters for the same amount

What don't you understand?
How long do you believe it'd take to complete 30 games? Perhaps around one hour a piece? A total of 30 hours? According to a recent article here at OS, some gamers must play upwards of 60 games to earn 30,000 VC (http://www.operationsports.com/featu...es-and-misses/). So if one gamer were able to carve an hour out of their schedule every night for two months, they might be able to earn 30,000 VC?

Moving forward, what can be purchased for 30,000 VC? I've read custom shoes that gamers build themselves must be purchased for 7,500 VC, nearly 1/4 of 60 games worth the work. Is this true? Accessories and signature jumpshots are free at least, yes?

So, to try to put this one to rest, are you saying gamers merely have to opt between at least six hours of not really playing the game (i.e. simming, simming, simming) or play between 30-60 games (likely at least forty hours of gameplay) just for the opportunity to buy four pairs of shoes to wear at The Park?

# 110 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 02:12 PM
Quote:
How long do you believe it'd take to complete 30 games? Perhaps around one hour a piece? A total of 30 hours? According to a recent article here at OS, some gamers must play upwards of 60 games to earn 30,000 VC (http://www.operationsports.com/featu...es-and-misses/). So if one gamer were able to carve an hour out of their schedule every night for two months, they might be able to earn 30,000 VC?

Moving forward, what can be purchased for 30,000 VC? I've read custom shoes that gamers build themselves must be purchased for 7,500 VC, nearly 1/4 of 60 games worth the work. Is this true? Accessories and signature jumpshots are free at least, yes?

So, to try to put this one to rest, are you saying gamers merely have to opt between at least six hours of not really playing the game (i.e. simming, simming, simming) or play between 30-60 games (likely at least forty hours of gameplay) just for the opportunity to buy four pairs of shoes to wear at The Park?
Wow are you trolling seriously? obviously playing a game takes much much longer which im not willing to do because all my VC goes in MyCareer

the shoes being 7.5k are useless you will get your endorsement deal towards the end of your first season and have them all free

# 111 NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH @ 12/11/13 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
I'm happy to see this article on Operation Sports. The VC system in NBA 2K14 (next gen) ruined the game for me. NBA 2K14 was the PS4 game I wanted most before launch and I even shelled out an extra $30 on the first day to unlock all the features I wanted to use right away. Then, the more I played, the more disappointed I was in everything missing from the final product (e.g., Cheerleaders, people moving in the stands, warm ups, non-unified slider settings, etc.).

The final straw was when I went to play My GM and got a message telling me I couldn't play my single-player Association because I couldn't connect to the 2K server. That was it. I was done. The game went back to where I purchased it defective. I understood I would be able to play the game offline and that's just not the case. Add in the bugs and all the missing features, and my disappointment is off the charts.

Even though I've been a huge 2K fan for years, NBA 2K14 is the last game I'm giving a chance until offline single-player returns and the overall quality of the product increases.
sorry bro 2k wont miss u

# 112 seanbarkley @ 12/11/13 02:13 PM
I swear to God I don't understand those defending VC.

There's a tendency in NG of introducing microtransactions in AAA +$60 games (NBA 2K, Forza, GT6...) and call it what you wanna call it VC is microtransactions. How can you defend how they are stripping down games and hidding contents on purpose just to make you pay more once you have already bought it? Do you like to get robbed?

Do you remember the times when if you payed $60 for a game you had (the right for) the full experience? because it seems that some of you have born yesterday gezz.

Keep defending them, I guess you will be happy when you have to pay around $200 for the full experience.

# 113 JazzMan @ 12/11/13 02:16 PM
Honestly, this is being blown WAY out of proportion. The whole "having to spend VC to change your lineup" is just having to literally play one game, buy the option, and then you can change your lineup as you wish for the rest of your GM mode. It's not that bad.

Nobody's forcing you guys to buy VC.

# 114 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarkley

There's a tendency in NG of introducing microtransactions in AAA +$60 games (NBA 2K, Forza, GT6...) and call it what you wanna call it VC is microtransactions. How can you defend how they are stripping down games and hidding contents on purpose just to make you pay more once you have already bought it? Do you like to get robbed?

Do you remember the times when if you payed $60 for a game you had (the right for) the full experience? because it seems that some of you have born yesterday gezz.

Keep defending them, I guess you will be happy when you have to pay around $200 for the full experience.
Well the prices should be lowered , VC should be removed from MyGM stuff like changing your lineup and staff , also your head coach getting pissed off when you don't want to send a defender for camp is a bunch of crap

They should just have it there as a option for gamers like in 2k13

# 115 RangersCruz @ 12/11/13 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
Honestly, this is being blown WAY out of proportion. The whole "having to spend VC to change your lineup" is just having to literally play one game, buy the option, and then you can change your lineup as you wish for the rest of your GM mode. It's not that bad.

Nobody's forcing you guys to buy VC.
While true but greg popovich getting pissed off at me for not sending wiggins for example to big man's defense and then saying he wants to quit...? explain that please

# 116 RumbleCard @ 12/11/13 02:19 PM
Sure there are ways to earn VC by simming or griding through pointless games you would not otherwise play...

...but no one wanted a VC farming simulation game.

Its an absolute disgrace that some have to farm VC just to get the gaming experience they want.

# 117 NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH @ 12/11/13 02:24 PM
Quote:

Do you remember the times you would have to complete a game to unlock items?
ever play metal gear solid on ps1, if you finished the game you got extra skins.
or ever play gta san andreas, i could go on, but theres plenty of games with unlockables only if you complete certain things.

well guess what, this is exactly the same, u can unlock items here too if u play enough, the only difference is you can pay for it now if you got the money.

# 118 seanbarkley @ 12/11/13 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH
ever play metal gear solid on ps1, if you finished the game you got extra skins.
or ever play gta san andreas, i could go on, but theres plenty of games with unlockables only if you complete certain things.

well guess what, this is exactly the same, u can unlock items here too if u play enough, the only difference is you can pay for it now if you got the money.
Do you even believe what you've just said? are you really comparing rewards for finishing a game to make it replayable with stripping down games on purpose just to make you pay more and even with punishing you for not paying (as what happens with myGM)?

I now seriously believe that publishers are right because there will always be people that will say it's raining when you are peeing on them. How sad.

# 119 NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH @ 12/11/13 02:52 PM
Quote:
Do you even believe what you've just said? are you really comparing rewards for finishing a game to make it replayable with stripping down games on purpose just to make you pay more and even with punishing you for not paying (as what happens with myGM)?

I now seriously believe that publishers are right because there will always be people that will say it's raining when you are peeing on them. How sad.
lol wow u really feel like you have to pay more?
thats not the feeling im getting at all. ive been playing my career for probably 2 weeks max, around 2hrs a night. ive got about 80 overall and find myself having a blast in my park.

and you say theyre stripping down the game? wow 2k been giving the best basketball since 2k7 in my opinion, and with the new eco-motion on next gen is amazing.
go play live bro ull get all the headbands for free

# 120 El_Poopador @ 12/11/13 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH

the key word here is extra. as in not necessary to enjoy the game but can give it replay value. vc is not a bad idea itself but the way it is currently implemented is. you should not have to play a certain amount of any mode to unlock basic features like changing rotations whether its a single game or not. you should not have your rating (for lack of a better word) go down because you do not have enough vc to buy a new weight room. thats the game saying you have three choices: 1) your rating will go down 2) you can stop playing this mode and farm vc from another mode until you have enough vc to buy this weight room or 3) you can shell out some real life cash and buy enough vc for the weight room.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.