Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

According to NPD, NBA 2K14 is the number one selling sports title on next-gen consoles and was the number four best-selling next-gen game overall.

Below is a statement from 2K.

Quote:
"Earlier this year we promised that NBA 2K14 would be our biggest and best NBA 2K experience yet, and today we’re thrilled to see fans agree, as NBA 2K14 is now the #1 selling sports game on next-gen consoles,” said Jason Argent, SVP of Basketball Operations for 2K. “NBA 2K14 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One distinguished itself by providing an entirely new experience designed specifically for next-gen platforms, featuring all-new game modes distinct from the current-gen version of NBA 2K14. We partnered with the King of Basketball, LeBron James, as our cover athlete and delivered an unprecedented level of realism, making NBA 2K14 a showcase for the potential of next-gen gaming."

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 RangersCruz @ 12/14/13 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
It's very telling that 2K fans are posting mostly negative reactions to 2K's success here. It's not a good look that 2K's decisions and handling have actually turned their best supporters into rooting against them.
Well say 20 people on websites won't hurt 2k when 50 casuals buy it and i doubt those guys at 2k lose sleep over probably around 5-10% of the gaming community being negative when majority of it is positive

# 22 Guard-ian @ 12/14/13 05:45 PM
This time I was cheated with the extremely barebones Online Leagues, but in the future I won't run into the same brick wall again, you can be sure...

# 23 JasonMartin @ 12/14/13 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5XL
Basketball is the most popular sport in the US. It's football, and it's not close either. I'm not sure what kind of undertone you were pitching with big surprise in parenthesis, but it doesn't seem appropriate.
My bad, my bad.

Anyways, there is barely any competition. 2K shouldn't be acting like this when the game is flawed.

# 24 Sundown @ 12/14/13 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Well say 20 people on websites won't hurt 2k when 50 casuals buy it and i doubt those guys at 2k lose sleep over probably around 5-10% of the gaming community being negative when majority of it is positive
It's not 20 guys. They're just the canary in the coalmine and a sample of general sentiment. When your most faithful and hardcore are disillusioned, casuals will eventually follow, though it may take awhile. See Madden. The fact that Madden lost to 2K on Next Gen even being a much more popular sport is extremely telling of what happens when you lose the most passionate and engaged.

Also, the dissatisfaction over VC is trending on reddit, and reddit is pretty mainstream.

# 25 RangersCruz @ 12/14/13 06:24 PM
Quote:
It's not 20 guys. They're just the canary in the coalmine and a sample of general sentiment. When your most faithful and hardcore are disillusioned, casuals will eventually follow, though it may take awhile. See Madden. The fact that Madden lost to 2K on Next Gen even being a much more popular sport is extremely telling of what happens when you lose the most passionate and engaged.

Also, the dissatisfaction over VC is trending on reddit, and reddit is pretty mainstream.
Basketball is a worldwide sport NFl/Football is not there is no surprise as to why its been better in sales and LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS.

# 26 Escobeats @ 12/14/13 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMartin
My bad, my bad.

Anyways, there is barely any competition. 2K shouldn't be acting like this when the game is flawed.
Of course the game is flawed which game isnt ? But that doesn't take back how great and how high they set the bar for sports games today. Presentation, gameplay, player likenesses. Just imagine If 2K wasn't making basketball games today people would probably be saying that NBA live 14 is a really good game just like madden.

# 27 vtcha @ 12/14/13 07:01 PM
It really frustrates me sometimes on how reviewers rate the game a 9.5 despite all these glitches and bugs. Don't get me wrong, the graphics and presentation are spectacular but that is only one part. My theory is that because these reviewers have to play so many different games that they cannot go into an in-depth detail of the many aspects of the game. They probably only play a few quick-game matches and the introductory of MyCareer or MyGM and then based their opinion on that, hence giving them a rating of 9.5, etc.

Personally, I feel that 2K is catering more to the casual gamer as opposed to us sim heads or NBA-freaks. I mean these issues (bad trade logic, constant MyCareer crashes/freezes, poor A.I coach rotations, player roles, etc.) have been plaguing us for years, and what's disappointing is that they're the same problems year after year. Enough is enough!

# 28 Dazraz @ 12/14/13 08:17 PM
This game has sold well on its prior reputation. If 2K think they can get away with releasing a stripped down & heavily broken game next year with the same results they may well see a different set of figures. Of course it helps 2K that EA's effort was comical but EA will take heart in the issues that have afflicted NBA 2K on next gen.

# 29 shegotgame @ 12/14/13 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcha
It really frustrates me sometimes on how reviewers rate the game a 9.5 despite all these glitches and bugs. Don't get me wrong, the graphics and presentation are spectacular but that is only one part. My theory is that because these reviewers have to play so many different games that they cannot go into an in-depth detail of the many aspects of the game. They probably only play a few quick-game matches and the introductory of MyCareer or MyGM and then based their opinion on that, hence giving them a rating of 9.5, etc.

Tells me that the review process isn't thorough enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 30 Sundown @ 12/14/13 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shegotgame
Tells me that the review process isn't thorough enough.
The OS Podcast also mentioned that reviewers get free VC, so they have NO idea what the grind feels like for a normal player over an extended period of time.

# 31 WaddupCouzin @ 12/15/13 01:33 AM
Congrats 2K!

# 32 Starwipe @ 12/15/13 02:16 AM
I canceled my order and don't regret it a bit. If this is the future of 2K and it's our only option for an NBA game I probably wont even buy a PS4.

# 33 yungflo @ 12/15/13 03:39 AM
I enjoy 2k and outside the park, and the vc bull****. I don't really get alot of issues. With that being said, I'm done with preorders this generation. (unless its a preorder sale, newegg 12 dollars off type of thing) otherwise, I'll wait til how the game fares and buy it after everyone has a general idea on how the game will be.

Battlefield burned me and this game although awesome, wasn't really that awesome.

# 34 VDusen04 @ 12/15/13 11:56 AM
I know it's a pipe dream to hear this from a title that's dominating sales figures, but it'd be nice to hear an approach similar to that of Fox Sports 1 president Eric Shanks:
Quote:
It's less about looking at audience figures and more about whether the quality of the product continues to improve.
Again, that could just be happy-speak for a company that's not #1 but still... I prefer this approach to 2K's "Clearly we're awesome and our product is incredible" stance.

# 35 spankdatazz22 @ 12/15/13 12:10 PM
Quote:
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but imo it's debateable that it's "2K's most faithful" fans that are disillusioned. Many people here are hardcore purist basketball fans - not necessarily hardcore purist NBA2K fans. These people don't care who provides them with the basketball game they want, only that someone gives it to them. They're only as faithful as their options allow. A faithful fan here is deemed a fanboy, which many people here aren't.

There are very few here that wouldn't jump ship to NBA Live IF it were as good or better. And because it isn't, all their anger is directed at 2K. Many people buy Madden not because they're Madden fans, but because they're NFL fans. And Madden has NFL exclusivity. That isn't the case with NBA2K; they're simply way better than any other NBA option out there. So much so there are still people here that foolishly try to insinuate that 2K has a monopoly.

The whole VC-issue aside I don't have a problem with 2K trumpeting a sales triumph given the games are starting off on equal footing. Why not try to combat some of the negativity/overreactions going on in the forums with something positive? If anything they show their superiority over a competitor (Live), as well as maybe bring some attention to the NFL exclusivity situation. Since the NFL is by far the most popular sport here in the U.S. there should be no way a NBA game is outselling a NFL game.

# 36 RangersCruz @ 12/15/13 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but imo it's debateable that it's "2K's most faithful" fans that are disillusioned. Many people here are hardcore purist basketball fans - not necessarily hardcore purist NBA2K fans. These people don't care who provides them with the basketball game they want, only that someone gives it to them. They're only as faithful as their options allow. A faithful fan here is deemed a fanboy, which many people here aren't.

There are very few here that wouldn't jump ship to NBA Live IF it were as good or better. And because it isn't, all their anger is directed at 2K. Many people buy Madden not because they're Madden fans, but because they're NFL fans. And Madden has NFL exclusivity. That isn't the case with NBA2K; they're simply way better than any other NBA option out there. So much so there are still people here that foolishly try to insinuate that 2K has a monopoly.

The whole VC-issue aside I don't have a problem with 2K trumpeting a sales triumph given the games are starting off on equal footing. Why not try to combat some of the negativity/overreactions going on in the forums with something positive? If anything they show their superiority over a competitor (Live), as well as maybe bring some attention to the NFL exclusivity situation. Since the NFL is by far the most popular sport here in the U.S. there should be no way a NBA game is outselling a NFL game.
I agree with everything until the last line basketball is a much bigger sport then the NFL

# 37 VDusen04 @ 12/15/13 12:30 PM
Quote:
Hmm, I don't know. I feel like I'd consider myself a pretty faithful fan here, or at least formerly so. 2K was a no-doubt, day one purchase for me every year since 2K3. Does faithful fan really have to be someone who'd always buy 2K no matter how bad it became?

I feel like a faithful fan can be a lot of things, including a mix of both examples you mentioned. I love basketball and 2K provided for years, in my opinion, a product that chased realism in a manner I so desired. As such, I supported and bought their product faithfully every year. But as things changed, just as you said, I began to lose faith and decided I might not want to spend my own money on their product.

I've bought 2K religiously on release day for the past decade. I feel as though I could register as a faithful follower. But I am now relatively disillusioned, no?

Quote:
I am bummed because the type of product I've historically supported with a yearly purchase, seems to be altering its approach dramatically. I do not compare it to other sports games, because I do not buy other sports games. I compare it to what I want and once again, for one of the first times in 2K history, I find their new direction highly undesirable in many regards. The only difference now is instead of having one NBA basketball video game I really want to buy, I now have zero NBA games I want to buy.

# 38 javicd21 @ 12/15/13 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
I agree with everything until the last line basketball is a much bigger sport then the NFL
Basketball it's more of a worldwide sport, while football is most liked by Americans. Heck even baseball is more global than football.

# 39 RangersCruz @ 12/15/13 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javicd21
Basketball it's more of a worldwide sport, while football is most liked by Americans. Heck even baseball is more global than football.
Exactly so i mean why are people saying Madden should sell more or are surprised when 2k does?

# 40 BluFu @ 12/15/13 01:26 PM
Quote:
Quote:
"Earlier this year we promised that NBA 2K14 would be our biggest and best NBA 2K experience yet, and today we’re thrilled to see fans agree, as NBA 2K14 is now the #1 selling sports game on next-gen consoles,” said Jason Argent, SVP of Basketball Operations for 2K.

they really didn't need to say this though, it's like a slap in the face to most of OS.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.