Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

According to NPD, NBA 2K14 is the number one selling sports title on next-gen consoles and was the number four best-selling next-gen game overall.

Below is a statement from 2K.

Quote:
"Earlier this year we promised that NBA 2K14 would be our biggest and best NBA 2K experience yet, and today we’re thrilled to see fans agree, as NBA 2K14 is now the #1 selling sports game on next-gen consoles,” said Jason Argent, SVP of Basketball Operations for 2K. “NBA 2K14 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One distinguished itself by providing an entirely new experience designed specifically for next-gen platforms, featuring all-new game modes distinct from the current-gen version of NBA 2K14. We partnered with the King of Basketball, LeBron James, as our cover athlete and delivered an unprecedented level of realism, making NBA 2K14 a showcase for the potential of next-gen gaming."

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jyoung @ 12/15/13 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Exactly so i mean why are people saying Madden should sell more or are surprised when 2k does?
Because NPD only tracks North American retail sales, and the NFL is far more popular than the NBA in North America.

# 42 doctorhay53 @ 12/15/13 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
they really didn't need to say this though, it's like a slap in the face to most of OS.
This is how I feel about it. Most people here don't agree at all; we bought the game based on reviews, reputation or early purchaser's comments, and what we get is a bare-bones game where each game mode is critically broken in some important way. If you can keep your game from crashing, you have to deal with all kinds of ridiculousness still in one way or another. A major slap in the face.

# 43 RangersCruz @ 12/15/13 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Really? What country do you live in? In the USA, there is NO other sport that even comes close to popularity than the NFL. If you seriously want to try arguing that point then i'm not even going to bother because you're delusional.
I do live in the U.S and im talking worldwide nobody cares about American Football outside of the U.S to be honest

# 44 kjcheezhead @ 12/15/13 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
I do live in the U.S and im talking worldwide nobody cares about American Football outside of the U.S to be honest
Even counting worldwide sales, no basketball game has ever outsold madden and 2k did it with another basketball game competing. That's impressive on its own. But personally I think it says more about how stale madden has become tho and the reputation 2k created with the ps3/360 games than how good next gen is going off what I've read.

# 45 spankdatazz22 @ 12/15/13 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Hmm, I don't know. I feel like I'd consider myself a pretty faithful fan here, or at least formerly so. 2K was a no-doubt, day one purchase for me every year since 2K3. Does faithful fan really have to be someone who'd always buy 2K no matter how bad it became?
Imo yes, if you're going to paint yourself as a faithful fan and lay on the "2K's abandoned you" sentiment. You purchased 2K religiously in the past because they provided you with something you wanted. When they no longer did you no longer purchased their product. That's your right as a consumer, but imo you can't sit back try to have it both ways and try to say you're a faithful 2K fan. But that's just me.

This may be a horrible analogy, but I'm a Steelers fan. They're not playing well right now. However, I'm not going to jump to some front-running team simply because I want to be with a winner. I'm a true Steeler fan, period. People here try to paint themselves as true 2K fans when they're simply choosing to play the best game available. When 2K no longer is the best game available, they'll move on to the next game. Again, there's nothing wrong with that. But imo you can't try to use the "I'm a faithful fan" card simply because you choose not to purchase the alternative. Or you can't use the alternative against 2K. By most accounts 2K did a great job all around with the current gen version of the game and at the very least did a bang up job with the gameplay on the next gen version of the game. And you proudly chose not to purchase either, since you're very specific on what you want. Which is your right. But don't try to have it both ways and paint yourself as a true fan of their game. To me you're a true hardcore basketball fan and don't care who's making the game you want, long as it's being made.

And you DO have another option in NBA Live. And if it were good enough, you'd be playing it.

# 46 VDusen04 @ 12/15/13 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Imo yes, if you're going to paint yourself as a faithful fan and lay on the "2K's abandoned you" sentiment. You purchased 2K religiously in the past because they provided you with something you wanted. When they no longer did you no longer purchased their product. That's your right as a consumer, but imo you can't sit back try to have it both ways and try to say you're a faithful 2K fan. But that's just me.

This may be a horrible analogy, but I'm a Steelers fan. They're not playing well right now. However, I'm not going to jump to some front-running team simply because I want to be with a winner. I'm a true Steeler fan, period. People here try to paint themselves as true 2K fans when they're simply choosing to play the best game available. When 2K no longer is the best game available, they'll move on to the next game. Again, there's nothing wrong with that. But imo you can't try to use the "I'm a faithful fan" card simply because you choose not to purchase the alternative. Or you can't use the alternative against 2K. By most accounts 2K did a great job all around with the current gen version of the game and at the very least did a bang up job with the gameplay on the next gen version of the game. And you proudly chose not to purchase either, since you're very specific on what you want. Which is your right. But don't try to have it both ways and paint yourself as a true fan of their game. To me you're a true hardcore basketball fan and don't care who's making the game you want, long as it's being made.

And you DO have another option in NBA Live. And if it were good enough, you'd be playing it.
Then I suppose that begs the question, what would possibly be the point of being your definition of a faithful fan of a product? Is this a strange manner of questioning my video game company fanhood?

Either way, if being a fan of 2K's games means buying their products no matter what, every year, then sure, I'm not a fan, because I've only bought their games in 12 of the last 13 years. I have no idea what that means and why that'd matter though.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics? When I say I'm a fan of 2K, I mean I have historically purchased their product for over 10 years and am interested and hopeful for them to continue creating a sort of product that drew me in to their franchise in the first place. If there's another word for what I am, call me that. It's just, I believe I may really be at a loss as why that matters.

# 47 spankdatazz22 @ 12/15/13 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Then I suppose that begs the question, what would possibly be the point of being your definition of a faithful fan of a product? Is this a strange manner of questioning my video game company fanhood?

Either way, if being a fan of 2K's games means buying their products no matter what, every year, then sure, I'm not a fan, because I've only bought their games in 12 of the last 13 years. I have no idea what that means and why that'd matter though.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics? When I say I'm a fan of 2K, I mean I have historically purchased their product for over 10 years and am interested and hopeful for them to continue creating a sort of product that drew me in to their franchise in the first place. If there's another word for what I am, call me that. It's just, I believe I may really be at a loss as why that matters.
I don't mean to give the impression that you have to buy their products no matter what. What I feel some of you try to do though is say you're a faithful fan as reasoning why 2K should listen to you, when you're really only buying the product because you have no other options. You've said yourself you'd prefer to have another competitor to give you other options. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that. But imo you're trying to have it both ways by trying to saying you're a faithful fan but at the same time saying you wish there was another option to choose from. True fans are with a product up or down.

There are some people that are fans of either Sony or Microsoft. Apple or Android. Those are true fans of those products imo. I prefer my 360 but I don't have a huge preference to either Sony or Microsoft - I'm not going to paint myself as a true Sony fan in the way someone who's REALLY a fan and only purchases their products is. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how you can say you're a true fan if you choose to walk the fence. There's nothing wrong with it and it's what most consumers do. But I don't see how you can have it both ways.

# 48 VDusen04 @ 12/15/13 11:06 PM
Quote:
I don't mean to give the impression that you have to buy their products no matter what. What I feel some of you try to do though is say you're a faithful fan as reasoning why 2K should listen to you, when you're really only buying the product because you have no other options. You've said yourself you'd prefer to have another competitor to give you other options. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that. But imo you're trying to have it both ways by trying to saying you're a faithful fan but at the same time saying you wish there was another option to choose from. True fans are with a product up or down.

There are some people that are fans of either Sony or Microsoft. Apple or Android. Those are true fans of those products imo. I prefer my 360 but I don't have a huge preference to either Sony or Microsoft - I'm not going to paint myself as a true Sony fan in the way someone who's REALLY a fan and only purchases their products is. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how you can say you're a true fan if you choose to walk the fence. There's nothing wrong with it and it's what most consumers do. But I don't see how you can have it both ways.
I truly mean this with respect and I do not intend for it to sound as blunt as it may, but I do not have a single care about being your definition of a fan of a brand in this case. I honestly do not know how that relates to anything I've discussed here and I do not recall any moment where I would have weirdly insisted that my opinion should hold more weight simply off the basis of deeming myself as someone who has a personal relationship of sorts with the 2K brand.

To re-state once more, I bought NBA2K2, 2K3, 2K4, 2K5, 2K6, 2K7, 2K8, 2K9, 2K10, 2K11, 2K12, and 2K13. I may even end up with a current generation copy of 2K14 if the circumstances are right (price drop, gift). I have purchased the series for years because I enjoyed all they brought forth as a company. Once they began swaying and altering direction, I've stated my distaste for such maneuvers and in many cases, attempted to logically and reasonably compose posts and responses regarding why I am not in favor of certain changes or directions. So in your book that may not make me a fan. Okay... and then?

I have little to no idea what or how your last two posts relate to anything I've contributed, nor how they may relate to this thread or the idea of creating a better basketball game in general.

# 49 Sundown @ 12/15/13 11:12 PM
Quote:
2K would never listen to your definition of a "true fan". Why should they?

That's not a fan. That's a fanboy.

True fans are those that have been with the franchise for the recent majority of it's releases, appreciate what the title has done, root for it to succeed, and will extend some amount of good will if the game moves in the right direction overall even if it is imperfect.

Fanboys are suckers and free money. Their undiscerning buying patterns mitigate the impact of voices that matter and that a company is often best served listening to.

Of course, if a company continually tunes out true fans and eventually turns them into non-fans, it's not because those fans weren't "true". It's because they did something drastically wrong or chose to abandon those fans in pursuit of others.

Also, the sports team analogy doesn't work the way you frame it. One can support a team without committing to it financially and one's association and loyalty to that team has to do with much more than merchandising and market give and take. In fact, some true fans will boycott games to send a message to the management if that management seems to care more about making quick bucks than putting out a winning team. This is actually a closer parallel to what VDusen is doing.

However, treating brands like sports teams and associating oneself with a product without being discerning or being willing to forgo purchases of a sub par product (see the Live forums and any XBox vs PS4 flame war) is what's wrong with a lot of mindless consumerism today.

To misquote Fight Club, you are not your Live. You are not your 2K.

Point is, 2K should listen to guys that "get it" and that 2K once "got". How you want to parse the way they phrase their loyalty is irrelevant in the end.

# 50 2K Labs @ 12/15/13 11:32 PM
Quote:

So....here's a question: If HBO decided to make more seasons of The Wire, but this time around it was more of a slapstick comedy about the wives of police detectives...would you still be a "fan"? In order to keep your 'fan-card', would you have to ride out the lows and the highs and keep insisting it's the best show on TV?

I would call you a loyal fan who would be (hopefully) unhappy with the direction that your favorite TV show had taken...much like the people in this forum. You're confusing 'fan-boyism' with being a a true fan. Then to confuse issues even further, you're comparing it to being a fan of a particular team...which is one of the few places that being a blind fan-boy is somewhat acceptable.

# 51 tril @ 12/15/13 11:49 PM
congrats to the 2k NBA basketball team.
The entire team really seems to be passionate about basketball, and it shows.
There are folks complaining about the gaming being bare-bones, but IMO thats not a big issue.
Folks fail to realize that the mission for the first wave of games on next gen releases should be to display the next gen capabilities graphics wise, while providing solid game play mechanics.
Im sure all the features that were stripped out will be re-implemented in the future releases. There were a few missteps with VC system, but Im sure 2k, in the future, will fine tune that system. Its all about learning, mastering, and maximizing the next gen capabilities.

# 52 Melbournelad @ 12/15/13 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Even counting worldwide sales, no basketball game has ever outsold madden and 2k did it with another basketball game competing. That's impressive on its own. But personally I think it says more about how stale madden has become tho and the reputation 2k created with the ps3/360 games than how good next gen is going off what I've read.
Can you provide a link for that? Thanks

# 53 spankdatazz22 @ 12/16/13 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown

Also, the sports team analogy doesn't work the way you frame it. One can support a team without committing to it financially and one's association and loyalty to that team has to do with much more than merchandising and market give and take. In fact, some true fans will boycott games to send a message to the management if that management seems to care more about making quick bucks than putting out a winning team. This is actually a closer parallel to what VDusen is doing.
And that's fine. But there are quite a few of those that have been vocal that aren't just choosing to just boycott the title, but also endorsing something else. Or openly stating they wish they had something else to go to. And that's why I'd say those are people that simply want the best product available, period. And as I've said, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't like the Steelers hired Todd Haley as OC. I may choose not to go to Steelers games to show my displeasure. But I'm not going to become a Bengals fan because of it. Many of the people complaining the loudest aren't just sitting this game out, they're openly endorsing choosing going to another product. Or saying they wish there was another product that merited going to.

Obviously we're all fans of NBA2K on some level. But the discussion started down this path regarding what constituted a faithful fan and that 2K was taking a path that wasn't in line with what it's faithful fans wanted. I'm a fan of Sony. I'm a fan of Microsoft. I've purchased all of their systems. Am I a faithful fan of either? No, I don't feel I am. And I know I've said MY definition of a faithful fan would be a fanboy. At the end of the day it's silly to parse words to this degree so I shouldn't have gone down this path because it's sidetracking the thread.

# 54 bumpyface @ 12/16/13 07:16 AM
I'm glad to hear these responses. I'm hoping that we the customers wise up and stop paying full price for a half product. I'm speaking for all Americans when I say we need to hold this companies accountable for their product. Those of you listening should ask yourself, if you went to work and didn't do your job, would you keep it? I hope 2k is listening. It's time 2k addressed these legacy issues that have been plauging their franchise for years.

# 55 Melbournelad @ 12/16/13 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvese
No link needed. Its pretty much common knowledge.

EA investors are furious right now. Never thought i would see the day when 2k hoops would out sell Madden. I am truly shocked. We as fans finally spoke to EA. Now 2k gotta get that same pressure we put on EA.
No it's not common knowledge, so I stand by my original question. I'd be curious to see worldwide sales of Madden and 2k in recent years, because OUTSIDE of the USA basketball is far more popular than American football.

# 56 coolcras7 @ 12/16/13 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyface
I'm glad to hear these responses. I'm hoping that we the customers wise up and stop paying full price for a half product. I'm speaking for all Americans when I say we need to hold this companies accountable for their product. Those of you listening should ask yourself, if you went to work and didn't do your job, would you keep it? I hope 2k is listening. It's time 2k addressed these legacy issues that have been plauging their franchise for years.
Please get off your high horse, I am sure you go into work and slack off most of the day, but to say that 2k slacked off for next gen is ridiculous, with a new engine and one of the few next gen releases where there is a huge graphical leap, the game is 43 gigs already this the first year, not to mention they released a current get version as well.

# 57 El_Poopador @ 12/16/13 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Please get off your high horse, I am sure you go into work and slack off most of the day, but to say that 2k slacked off for next gen is ridiculous, with a new engine and one of the few next gen releases where there is a huge graphical leap, the game is 43 gigs already this the first year, not to mention they released a current get version as well.
43gbs doesnt mean anything. they could have used poor compression or no compression for their cutscenes and textures. that has nothing to do with anything in the code.

# 58 coolcras7 @ 12/16/13 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
43gbs doesnt mean anything. they could have used poor compression or no compression for their cutscenes and textures. that has nothing to do with anything in the code.
Exactly one of my points, this is the first year there will be kinks to work out anyone expecting perfection is just delusional, just getting the game to play as it does as a huge undertaking, and the fact that they are about to release their third patch says something, even on articles about an achievement they reached all we get is negativity, does every thread about 2k have to be about the negatives, we all know the flaws there are dozens of thread about modes not working so they are aware stop beating a dead horse until the patch is released.

# 59 King_B_Mack @ 12/16/13 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
No it's not common knowledge, so I stand by my original question. I'd be curious to see worldwide sales of Madden and 2k in recent years, because OUTSIDE of the USA basketball is far more popular than American football.
It definitely is common knowledge. Madden routinely sells over 6 million copies a year. 2K11 is the first basketball game to even get to the 5 million copy mark. Madden's sales has certainly dropped in recent years and 2K has gotten close, but globally, Madden outsells NBA games.

# 60 RangersCruz @ 12/16/13 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
It definitely is common knowledge. Madden routinely sells over 6 million copies a year. 2K11 is the first basketball game to even get to the 5 million copy mark. Madden's sales has certainly dropped in recent years and 2K has gotten close, but globally, Madden outsells NBA games.
Only place where Madden might outsell 2k is here in the U.S

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.