Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

As reports of problems continue to mount with NBA 2K14, some frustrated gamers have been taking their complaints to the retailers they bought the game from with some reportedly finding success in getting refunds for the game.

One such report is from Scott Burress (@ExtremeGamer) who reports that he was able to get a full refund for the game through Amazon.

According to a tweet from Michael Futter of GameInformer (@Futterish), some people are also reporting they are requesting and getting refunds for NBA 2K14 digital purchases.

As you may know, NBA 2K14 has suffered from numerous problems which have made the game unplayable for some. In a recent poll on OS, 91% of people responded in saying they have had issues with the game -- with 68% saying the problems will impact their buying decision of NBA 2K next season.

Let us know if you have received a refund or any compensation from 2K and also be sure to keep an eye on the NBA 2K forums for the latest on the game's status.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 spacedog @ 01/07/14 06:03 PM
It's amazing how far 2k seems to have fallen, for practically a decade lots of nfl fans wanted 2k to make a football game, and now 2k is messing up what lead they had as a sports game developer while Madden is starting to head in the right direction. Seems like it started happening a lot within the time Live disappeared too.

# 82 XtremeDunkz @ 01/07/14 06:27 PM
I got my refund for my digital copy today but I can still access the file and play on my Xbox. Interesting.

# 83 TalenT @ 01/07/14 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I just cant wrap my head around all the modes being tied to online...I mean, nobody in the board room said: "Well, our servers havent been reliable in a very long time, maybe this isnt such a good idea"

Nobody?

Ronnie and LD2k are going to have a heck of a time trying to market this game here next year LOL. I think its time for 2k go into damage control mode...
This is exactly what I was thinking Lol ...It's like the financial gain overshadowed the progress of the game and the concerns of the consumer (Were looking at you VC!).

Remember back when 2K first started? When they were a smaller company battling the likes of the other company...the industry giant? Back when it felt like they were in it for the satisfaction of making a great basketball game. It was their passion. They continued to improve on the little things until they eventually surpassed them. I miss those days. Now it seems like there's a more important priority. That money is a monster man.

# 84 omega412930 @ 01/07/14 06:30 PM
i dont hav a xbox one but i hav a 360 is this game just a problem for next gen or should i not buy this for 360 also?

# 85 WTF @ 01/07/14 06:38 PM
Mainly for the Next Gen consoles.

# 86 SteboSSK @ 01/07/14 07:12 PM
Any news on if Gamestop is doing this?

# 87 kevmasood @ 01/07/14 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Unfortunately I can't trade mine in....just need a BBALL game in my life and Live isn't quite giving me a fix...guess I just have NBA 2k: Quick Game Edition for the time being...smh
Im with u, cant do it, thats all i play, so quick game, season mode, freindly games

# 88 flawed @ 01/07/14 08:49 PM
I studied law and used to work giving consumer advice in the UK (England and Wales, but the law isn't too different in Scotland).

I am SO annoyed at 2K, the state of this game/the servers, wasting my Christmas with their nonsense, their (non)response and the constant lies they peddle on Twitter that I've decided to make a post to help UK residents get a refund!

This product is clearly defective (to state the obvious)! if you bought it at a shop/internet retailer, and received a disk, this is fairly straight straightforward; you can get a refund for up to 6 months* under the Sale of Goods act 1979, for a product that isn't:

As Described (check) OR
Of satisfactory quality (check) OR
Fit for purpose (check)

The usual process is to go to the place you purchased it from, ask for a refund and they'll lie to you, tell you can't get a refund after 7 days/can't get a refund if the seal has been broken/can't get a refund for software/that you have to send it back to the developers or Microsoft (etc). All of this is false, and wrong information (most stores try it on because most people will go away with their tails between their legs - don't do that!). Note; many stores deliberately misinform their staff on consumer rights, so they may think they know what they are talking about (and be really convincing) when they are telling you that you should return it to Microsoft, or that you don't have any rights, because they believe it themselves. Talk to the organ grinder (i.e. ask to speak to the manager!).

Inform them clearly that you wish to assert your legal rights (not warranty rights, not store refund policy, etc). You'll probably need a letter, so it might help to draft one and take it with you if you're going to the store. I'd also print out some webpages which explain the problems, the first post in this thread is a good example, the Kotaku article springs to mind; any news pages which mention the serious/ongoing problems. This is mainly to let the retailer know you're not trying to blag a refund for a game you don't like/have finished/etc.

There are some SOGA template letters on the BBC website. Ask to speak to the store manager and give him a copy, tell him another will be in the post (send it recorded delivery, and keep a copy for yourself, of course!).

If you bought the game from a high street store, skip this paragraph. If you bought it on the internet rather than from a store you can do all of the above, but first ask for a refund, then send an e-mail with the SOGA "letter" (e-mail has been ruled to be an acceptable format to deliver legal communications), similarly below, you can send the 14 day warning letter via e-mail (always a good idea in the first instance to ask for the e-mail to be sent to a director and/or legal representative - not only does this make it look like you mean business, but it means you hopefully get through to someone who knows what your on about and can/will help you!).

At this point most shops/stores will simply give in and give you a refund (because they now know that you know your rights and are willing to chase them for a refund. It becomes more cost effective to refund you than waste the man hours chasing it around, and of course, potentially having to go to court!). Refunding you at this stage is the path of least resistance, businesses exist to make a profit. The issue starts to become unprofitable for them once they have to deal with the legal ramifications of not abiding by basic consumer law!

If they play hardball and won't refund you, you may want to go to your local CAB, where you can get free consumer advice (many Universities also have drop in law centres). Or call the Citizens Advice consumer advice line on 08454 040506.

If they STILL refuse to refund you, the next step is to send a 14 day warning of impending small claims court action (again; there are plenty of template letters on the internet for this. Search for "consumer court warning"). At THIS point nearly every retailer will just pay up, because, unlike you, they will need to pay for expensive legal advice (and any lawyer worth his salt would tell them to pay up anyway!).

The cost for them to visit a solicitor far outweighs the £50(ish) refund! So anyone with 2 braincells to rub together will simply pay up (consumer law is, very deliberately, weighed heavily in favour of the consumer). If they don't pay up, they are probably ignoring you altogether and not responding, and you'll want to file a small claims action against them (and at his point you should definitely get some consumer advice!).

Chances are they won't even show up, you'll win a default judgment, they'll get a county court judgement against them, and they'll eventually be forced to pay up. BUT, to reiterate; in my experience (and I've had a lot), things have never gone this far over such an inexpensive item. The type of cases that go this far are for things like mobility scooters, home extensions, cars, etc (i.e. things costing thousands of pounds!). But if it does get to this stage you need to get advice (probably before filing the court papers TBH, as you incur a (refundable - if you win) cost for filing them!).

Many places will tell you software is excluded from the Sale of Goods Act, this is incorrect IF it is supplied on disk (as it is supplied in a tangible format, a requirement for the Act). The key case, should you wish to quote it or write it down to put on the letter you take to the retailer is St Alban’s v ICL, where Glidewell, LJ said that software supplied on "hard media" (a disc!) counts as "goods", and so they are protected by the Sale of Goods Act as such! See this slide.

Also, see part 8, page 3 of this government paper (this whole paper is dedicated to digital goods and consumer law, and may be useful for those who have downloaded the game from Microsoft!).

I'm taking the game back (to Argos, of all places!) for a full refund in a couple of days. I'm also currently in a dispute with Microsoft about lost VC (they billed me, so the contract is between them and me. They are telling me to go to 2K, who just keep fobbing me off with "open ports in your firewall" e-mails a week after I send them an e-mail asking for a refund for lost VC! They are beyond useless!). Note: if you have this problem, as a last resort, you can ask your bank to do a chargeback if you paid with debit/credit card! See here for a guide on requesting a chargeback.

Which reminds me, if you purchased this game with a console and paid for it on a credit card you are protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, which makes your credit card provider jointly liable for any problems (this is only for purchases of £100 or more - so if you got the game in a package with your console AND paid by CC you're laughing!). Your best bet in this case is to phone your credit card company and let them deal with it all. They will deal with all the legal hassle instead of you having to do it.

I've deliberately not mentioned downloads (bought from Microsoft/Sony online stores and downloaded). I'd really recommend getting personal consumer advice for digital goods, they can be really tricky. The document above goes into a lot of detail about some of the rights you have (and a lot you don't), but there are areas of law outside of consumer that can protect you from getting conned; an exchange of goods is basically just a contract, so there is a lot of contract law and cases which are relevant. TBH; this is probably beyond the scope of this post (if you are from the UK and did download the game and asked for a refund and were refused PM me and I'll try and point you to somewhere/one who can help).

* - if you're thinking that should be "6 years", it can be up to 6 years, although it depends on the expected lifecycle of the product (besides which, the game isn't 6 months old on next-gen anyway!). After 6 months the burden of proof shifts from the retailer to the consumer (you), before that the retailer has to prove that the item isn't faulty (should it ever reach court, which is very unlikely for a <£50 item!).

# 89 mel2010 @ 01/07/14 08:52 PM
This is why I'm going to stick it out with 2k12 for the time being...although it's impossible to find up to date rosters now

# 90 2kfanatic @ 01/07/14 10:36 PM
I am a long time basketball video game fan (a little slanted in favor of 2k though). But I really hope that these refunds will hurt 2k enough for them to remove their "always online" in single player modes. They have been far to arrogant and forgot why they were successful in the first place.

# 91 Melbournelad @ 01/08/14 05:49 AM
I can't wait until August/September when LD2K starts posting again to promote 2k15 and no one falls for his usual spiel of how great it is.

# 92 ricardo.13 @ 01/08/14 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallg7
Lol I had help, my wife talked to them because I was too mad to be civil. She is very persuasive in a nice way. They said the same thing to me however I got the rejection next day, called and got the acceptance next day after that, the customer service guy said that sometimes it is how the person who takes the complaint puts it in the system. If you call just make sure you are super nice and go through the tests they want you to do.
Dude, my Psn wallet was refunded in $59,99!!
So fast too, one day just...lol
Thank you!!!

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5730/7o1r.png

# 93 Vni @ 01/08/14 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
I can't wait until August/September when LD2K starts posting again to promote 2k15 and no one falls for his usual spiel of how great it is.
Yeah, we'll see about that. Let's not forget about STATS inc either wich is proven BS now.

How about they come in here and talk to the comunity for once? They're ghosts when things go wrong.

# 94 Melbournelad @ 01/08/14 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Yeah, we'll see about that. Let's not forget about STATS inc either wich is proven BS now.

How about they come in here and talk to the comunity for once? They're ghosts when things go wrong.
Man what the hell happened to STATS inc? It was promoted as updated "daily" and "based on statistics", wasn't it? It was a major focal point of their marketing for 2K14 yet is nonexistent. That's just flat out misleading the consumer.

# 95 flawed @ 01/08/14 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.13
Dude, my Psn wallet was refunded in $59,99!!
So fast too, one day just...lol
Thank you!!!

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5730/7o1r.png
That's really cool. I was in a supermarket a couple of days before Christmas and they had 1 each of Xbox One and PS4 (PS4's were sold out nationally and were going for crazy prices, even second hand, but this was selling retail. I just fluked on one!). I really couldn't decide, I had my phone out re-reading all the different websites. People kept coming up to me and asking if they could have one of the consoles (I'd put the empty boxes between my legs while I sat and browsed - I told them I was considering buying both!).

The thing that swung it for me was I read that MS had introduced a system where you only need one live account per console and there are no codes restricting gameplay to one account (I have 3 children, all boys. So the Xbox 360 was seriously expensive in this regard).

I know Sony is the same, but I sold my PS3 after the Cinavia/remove Other OS stealth patch and was still pissed at them, so I went with Xbox, despite it being £100 more. I really, really regret that decision now!

Their customer support has been awful since the day I bought it (well; since the day I started having problems with NBA 2K!). My first job was in a call centre, so I'm always polite and try not to be a smart arse, but I just kept getting fobbed off. I'm super jealous now I've found out they are giving out full refunds for the (very defective) game, that is amazing!

M$ - sort yourselves out!

# 96 pikten @ 01/08/14 08:08 AM
a guy post this http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Server+...0d_4834924.gif maby this explains this mess lol

# 97 ricardo.13 @ 01/08/14 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flawed
That's really cool. I was in a supermarket a couple of days before Christmas and they had 1 each of Xbox One and PS4 (PS4's were sold out nationally and were going for crazy prices, even second hand, but this was selling retail. I just fluked on one!). I really couldn't decide, I had my phone out re-reading all the different websites. People kept coming up to me and asking if they could have one of the consoles (I'd put the empty boxes between my legs while I sat and browsed - I told them I was considering buying both!).

The thing that swung it for me was I read that MS had introduced a system where you only need one live account per console and there are no codes restricting gameplay to one account (I have 3 children, all boys. So the Xbox 360 was seriously expensive in this regard).

I know Sony is the same, but I sold my PS3 after the Cinavia/remove Other OS stealth patch and was still pissed at them, so I went with Xbox, despite it being £100 more. I really, really regret that decision now!

Their customer support has been awful since the day I bought it (well; since the day I started having problems with NBA 2K!). My first job was in a call centre, so I'm always polite and try not to be a smart arse, but I just kept getting fobbed off. I'm super jealous now I've found out they are giving out full refunds for the (very defective) game, that is amazing!

M$ - sort yourselves out!
Dude, i was dumb...lol
I bought PS3 version before because i didn't wanted buy now a PS4 but I saw an irresistible offer did not resist. Sold my PS3 version.
About the game, the servers OFF on Christmas (all day long = morning, afternoon untill 00:00) was a shame.

# 98 Vegemietian @ 01/08/14 11:13 AM
well ive just encountered a new problem just then. The game has slowed up considerably. As in, the players move slower, and the clock ticks down slower. The ball floats through the air almost as if its on the moon.

WTF has happened? I turned the PS4 off to watch some UFC, come back 2 hours later and something is incredibly wrong...

# 99 LorenzoDC @ 01/08/14 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegemietian
well ive just encountered a new problem just then. The game has slowed up considerably. As in, the players move slower, and the clock ticks down slower. The ball floats through the air almost as if its on the moon.

WTF has happened? I turned the PS4 off to watch some UFC, come back 2 hours later and something is incredibly wrong...
That's hilarious. You should snap it and post it on youtube.

# 100 mcseven @ 01/08/14 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2010
This is why I'm going to stick it out with 2k12 for the time being...although it's impossible to find up to date rosters now
Lol I thought I was the only one still playing 2k12, I just love the classic rosters on there and if I can remember there was no VC on that one.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.