Home
News Post

Most would agree that the game itself is the most exciting part of playoff football. But once in a while the drama that goes on behind the scenes and under the helmets finds a way to leak out into the public's eye. Granted emotions were flying high for Seattle after clinching a spot in the Super Bowl, but Richard Sherman's on-camera outburst during his post-game interview was a little awkward and off-putting to many.

Many NFL players (see: Peyton Manning) have almost perfected the ability to keep an image of calm in the midst of the most stressful and emotional times. A large portion of last night's audience reacted to Sherman's excitement by calling him classless -- and admittedly that was my first reaction. But keep in mind, we're talking about a Stanford graduate who looked directly into the camera and spoke without swearing. For many fans however, Sherman just personified the type of "attitude" people like to cheer against (or for?) when we want to tune in but don't have a dog in the fight.

Sound Off: Which NFL player personalities impact the teams you root for or against?

Game: NFLReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 RUFFNREADY @ 01/21/14 01:05 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Sherman's outburst! the man was dogged all over twitter by Crabtree; and Sherman got the last laugh, on a national stag! How do you like them apples! lol
It's an age old saying " the Squeaky wheel, will always get the Oil !"
Sherman's young and full of piss and vinegar; so give him some time to mature a bit more, and you will see that he is the best!
Do you remember a player, by the name of "Prime Time?" nuff said
Adrian Peterson is my type of player! borderline cocky to arrogant; but can back it up with his play!

cheers

# 2 KingV2k3 @ 01/21/14 01:37 PM
I have little to no problem with Sherman, because he's just using tactics from the fight world and the music world to ignite social media in an (successful) attempt to get "paid" like the top cover corner he currently is, as opposed to the number 6 pick he was...

#beatsheadphonesftw

As far as my personal biases go:

Personally, I'm a lifetime member of the Patriots Haterz Club, simply because the smugness of the QB and HC grate on me...as well as the general "entitlement" vibe of the franchise and fan base...

I (and many of my friends) will watch a Pats game simply to root against them...

Then again, I'm a Bills fan, so that's a factor...

# 3 Dr. Banner @ 01/21/14 02:01 PM
It's hilarious the way many overreacting to this.

# 4 LowerWolf @ 01/21/14 02:13 PM
I guess I'm a boring, button-down, blue-collar sort of fan since my two favorite professional teams have that rep.

Stay humble and let your actions speak. Michael Jordan doesn't have to tell you he's the greatest, you already know.

Joe Montana was a guest last week on Inside the NFL. They referred to him as a "49ers legend" and he blushed and said "I don't know about that." Nobody in their right mind would think he's anything less than that. But that's my kind of guy. Be humble, talk softly, respect your opponent but kick his *** on the field.

As for Sherman, I didn't like it but I didn't lose any sleep over it either.

# 5 Dr. Poe @ 01/21/14 02:38 PM
I liked it. They both were talking trash the whole game. Erin Andrews ran up on him while emotions were still high. She just got a truthful answer. Crabtree was "mediocre" that day. Sherman had him locked down.

# 6 thaima1shu @ 01/21/14 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Stay humble and let your actions speak. Michael Jordan doesn't have to tell you he's the greatest, you already know.
Is Michael Jordan really the best example of someone staying humble? Didn't he talk tons of trash too?

# 7 LowerWolf @ 01/21/14 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
Is Michael Jordan really the best example of someone staying humble? Didn't he talk tons of trash too?
That's a very good point.

I don't remember him boasting about himself ... but I could be wrong on that.

# 8 ImTellinTim @ 01/21/14 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
That's a very good point.

I don't remember him boasting about himself ... but I could be wrong on that.
He was very good at having a media/endorsement persona while being a complete ******* in every other aspect of life.

# 9 LowerWolf @ 01/21/14 03:11 PM
Yeah, I just had a complete brain fart with the Jordan reference. Carry on.

# 10 blackceasar @ 01/21/14 03:19 PM
I have no problem with his outburst, especially of the earlier Crabtree instigated beef is true. Regardless though, he made a game winning/changing play. They are going to the superbowl and he was excited and hyped up and it happened to be a play where he was covering his arch nemisis... now that I have THAT out of the way. He grew up in Compton. He didnt live a life of a brady-bunch Manning type suburbia. He was around and exposed to things that probably would have had someone like Peyton or Russel Wilson having to see a shrink to cope with. I'm not making an excuse for Sherman, I'm just pointing out the elephant in the room. Yes he went to Stanford and yes he's smart, but there will always be a small part of you about where you came from that stays with out and will come out at times. This was one of them.

Now... do I think Sherman should be upset about how some football fans and media are talking about him and depicting him? Nope, he shouldn't be upset because this how our society is. Is it fair that society is wired this way? You know... Sherman from Compton with his dreads being depicted as some wild animal by some of the press... What Sherman should have realized is that no one though is saying what he did was "OUT of character"... even though he's an articulate well spoken calm person in most interviews. It's like when he did that, some people were thinking "well.. you know.. I'm not suprised.. you know.. thats just how they.. (and I'll stop there). What Sherman did was reinforce some stereotypes and take the spotlight from his teams achievement. He should have taken that Stanford education and understood this. But again, I'm not mad at him for his outburst.. I'm just saying HE shouldn't be mad at some people's reactions. Perception is reality and if anyone should understand this, it's someone who used to attend Stanford. Now could you imagine if he had that same outburst in a city where people didnt recognize him because he was in a conveince store and a hoodie? The clerk might have accidentally shot him as a fearful knee-jerk reaction. Something to ponder.

As far as others wishing he was more like a Peyton or Russell Wilson I have news for you. Everyone is different... and some people need to get over the fact that not every great player, athlete, actor or whatever is going to act the way you'd like them to act. Being great at what you do doesn't mean you have to change who you are. Some people are the opposite of Sherman and great at their position (Manning).. and that's fine.. but it rubs me the wrong way when I hear people upset when every great player doesn't act like you think the should.

# 11 areobee401 @ 01/21/14 03:21 PM
I'm good with whatever antics players on the teams I root for as long as they don't cost us games. Want to be PC like Tom Brady? Cool. Want to rush your managers post game press conference to complain about the official scorer not crediting you for an RBI like David Ortiz? Cool with that too. Want to come back mid game in wheelchair like Paul Pierce (this guy )? Cool do you.

My point is as long as they aren't hurting the team or the public who cares. If the organization him or her works far has no issue than who am I to make an issue out of something.

# 12 GlennN @ 01/21/14 03:43 PM
I root for the laundry. If you are wearing the jersey (or sweater, as the case may be) of my teams, I'm rooting for you. Sometimes, I actually like the guy, sometimes not (Desean Jackson comes to mind as a current guy I root for that I don't really like). If I was a Seattle fan, I guess I'd just ignore it (Richard being Richard?). As an objective observer, I think he sounded like an ***. As LowerWolf said above, though, I won't lose any sleep over it.

# 13 XXstormmXX @ 01/21/14 03:50 PM
I picked the Patriots as my favorite team because they had my favorite player, Randy Moss, but stayed a fan after he left. I don't really mind how players act as long as they don't act like the Seahawks, constantly trash talking and calling out the other team. Really I prefer teams who use the scoreboard as a indicator of how good they are, not smack talk.

# 14 kehlis @ 01/21/14 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Really I prefer teams who use the scoreboard as a indicator of how good they are, not smack talk.
Well the Seahawks have done a pretty good job of doing that then.

# 15 blackceasar @ 01/21/14 04:15 PM
One more thing... he's no dummy, outburst aside the first thing that came out of his mouth was "I'm the best corner in the NFL!" While that's arguable, he's a free agent in 2015 and it's a good way to start campaigning for that big contract extension.

# 16 rudeworld @ 01/21/14 04:40 PM
My main problem is that, this is NOT HIS FIRST TIME DOING THIS!!! It's an act. This guy can scream and shout at Skip Bayless that he is the best corner in the NFL but he is just a product of a terrific defensive scheme. I think you could of put anyone with average coverage ability in this system and they would look like this guy.... 3/4 in the secondary are going to the PRO BOWL. The other corner is YES.... The best corner in the NFL: REVIS ISLAND

# 17 TheMatrix31 @ 01/21/14 04:42 PM
I root for players like JJ Watt and Andre Johnson.

# 18 blackceasar @ 01/21/14 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
My main problem is that, this is NOT HIS FIRST TIME DOING THIS!!! It's an act. This guy can scream and shout at Skip Bayless that he is the best corner in the NFL but he is just a product of a terrific defensive scheme. I think you could of put anyone with average coverage ability in this system and they would look like this guy.... 3/4 in the secondary are going to the PRO BOWL. The other corner is YES.... The best corner in the NFL: REVIS ISLAND
Is Revis really the best corner? I think you could make the case for a 3-4 man race for that title. If I could hand pick players that I'm going to be stuck with for the next 4-5 years on my defensive roster then skill is not the only thing I can factor in when determining who the best at a position is going to be. On that note, Revis has not been healthy enough to outright on the best CB title anymore. Doesnt mean I think Sherman is.. but Sherman is going to get pizzaid regardless when it's extension time.

# 19 Coug00 @ 01/21/14 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
You couldn't be more wrong. The players make Pete Carroll's scheme, the scheme doesn't make the players.

# 20 snepp @ 01/21/14 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug00
You couldn't be more wrong. The players make Pete Carroll's scheme, the scheme doesn't make the players.
What if it's a bit of both?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.