Home
News Post

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and former Tampa Bay Greg Schiano have something in common that could change the way NFL games are played in the future -- unfortunately for Schiano, it's not an NFL paycheck. All three have proposed changes to special teams plays that would help improve player safety and also speed up games and one rule change could be coming soon.

While Schiano's plan to end kickoffs isn't on the table currently, Goodell is warming up publicly to the thought of cutting out extra points. If for no other reason, the NFL should get rid of extra points because of the time it cuts away from serious on-field action. Devoted viewers of the NFL spend around three hours tuning in for a broadcast -- approximately eleven minutes of that is actual "live" game action. If the NFL pulls the rug out from PAT's it could then serve as a gateway to more serious changes like the removal of the kickoff and it's dreadful commercial-break onslaught.

Sound Off: Should the NFL eliminate extra points or other special teams plays? What similar changes would improve the game?

Sports Headlines for January 21, 2014

Game: NFLReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 JFB123 @ 01/22/14 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
increase the distance by 10-15 yards. wind/weather would then play more of a factor, which would likely increase 2pt attempts.
I dont want to see it go. Getting rid of PATs will kill some drama in crucial/clutch situations. tieing or winning a game with a PAT at the end of regulation still has some drama to it.
Something like this, I agree. I don't want it to go away. It won't increase game time much because the commercial break is after the PAT so all we're doing is eliminating the time it takes to make a PAT. 1 minute we'll say? haha, what's a minute?

# 22 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 01/22/14 05:42 PM
If they're going to get rid of the PAT, I'd rather them do something different like trying to score from the 5 yard line is a 1 point conversion and trying to score from the 10 is a 2 point conversion or something. Just giving them the PAT instead of them having to actually kick the PAT doesn't do anything for me personally.

# 23 sparkdawg777 @ 01/22/14 09:05 PM
I hated this idea at first but the more I think about it I like it. The PAT is by far the most boring play in football. As long as kickers can make Field Goals they will always be important especially how many games come down to one.

# 24 tbook24 @ 01/22/14 10:34 PM
i'm not for eliminating the PAT. If you want to speed things up eliminate the extra timeouts that are not called by teams

# 25 snepp @ 01/22/14 11:52 PM
I wouldn't miss them.

# 26 KMRblue1027 @ 01/23/14 04:03 PM
I'd be fine with giving the 7 automatically with an option of attempting for 2 which if failed still gives 6.

# 27 DaImmaculateONe @ 02/01/14 07:35 PM
option A: move the pat to the 20 yard line

option B: xfl method everything is worth 6 and you have to go for 2. none of that you lose pts crap

# 28 Majingir @ 02/01/14 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
I'm all for this. People complain that football takes to long and this would remove plays we don't need. And players can get injured on a play that won't matter 99.6 percent of the time, the percent of extra points that go through.
PATs commercial breaks are annoying.

After a TD:
Game goes to commercial,then game returns and PAT happens,then game goes to commercial, then game returns and kickoff happens,then game goes to commercial.

So in like a 6 min timespan after a TD is scored,5 is spent on commercials. They should just have the TD, go to commercial,return and have the kickoff and just continue on until the end of that drive. So each drive happens without any commercial break(unless an injury or timeout occur) and we have just 1 commercial break inbetween drives and not 3-4 mini ones.

# 29 mestevo @ 02/01/14 11:37 PM
I don't think the commercial break we get back will be noticeable and is a really silly point to fixate on.

Entertaining suggestion from a local radio guy that won't happen... whoever scores should have to kick the XP

Sent from my VZW Note 3

# 30 kehlis @ 02/02/14 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
PATs commercial breaks are annoying.

After a TD:
Game goes to commercial,then game returns and PAT happens,then game goes to commercial, then game returns and kickoff happens,then game goes to commercial.

So in like a 6 min timespan after a TD is scored,5 is spent on commercials. They should just have the TD, go to commercial,return and have the kickoff and just continue on until the end of that drive. So each drive happens without any commercial break(unless an injury or timeout occur) and we have just 1 commercial break inbetween drives and not 3-4 mini ones.
I've told you this in like 3 threads now, not sure why you are choosing to ignore it.

This will not eliminate the commercial.

The commercial would just be after the touchdown instead of the pat. It would be no different than before.

# 31 mestevo @ 02/02/14 02:36 PM
I'm in Vegas, we had season tickets to the XFL

Sent from my VZW Note 3

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.