Home
The Golf Club News Post

HB Studios has officially announced their next generation golf simulation titled, The Golf Club. Coming this Spring to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. Check out the press release and features list below, as well as the new videos and screenshots.

Press Release

Veteran Sports Game Developer Bringing The Golf Club to Next Gen Consoles and PC

Canadian video game developer HB Studios announced today their next generation Golf simulation The Golf Club. With outstanding, fun gameplay and a gorgeous visual presentation, The Golf Club really jumps into the next generation with the procedural generation of courses and depth of social interaction. There truly will be an unlimited number of golf courses to be created, shared and played with your friends.

The Golf Club Course Creator can generate a brand new, original course in seconds that can be shared and played immediately online with friends and other gamers across PlayStation 4, XBox One and PC. The technique of procedural generation also brings loading times into courses down to next to zero and completely eliminates any waiting between holes. There are also full editing capabilities should gamers want to put their mark on the generated course. Customization extends to Tournaments and Tours, which can be shared along with the courses online.

On the social side you can challenge your friends on a new or existing course in real time or try to beat their best recorded round. Add to this a myriad of stat tracking and personal bests of friends and rivals to beat, notifications, challenges and social media integration and you truly have a golf club worth joining.

Built using the excellent Unity game engine, The Golf Club will be coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in the spring of 2014. For screenshots, videos and additional information on The Golf Club please visit www.thegolfclubgame.com.

FEATURES

The Golf Club is HB Studios’ next generation golf simulation. Stunning visual presentation and outstanding gameplay are to be expected but what really takes The Golf Club into the next generation is the procedural generation of courses and depth of social interaction. The Course Creator can generate a brand new course in seconds which can be shared and played immediately online with friends and other gamers across PlayStation 4, XBox One and PC. There are also full editing capabilities for courses, Tournaments and Tours. Challenge your friends on a new or existing course in real time or try to beat their best recorded round. Add to this a myriad of stat tracking and personal bests of friends and rivals to beat, notifications, challenges and social media integration and you truly have a golf club worth joining.

Intuitive Control System

We’ve created and fine tuned a swing mechanic that is more about feeling and fluidity above the users’ accuracy of hitting a marker on a power bar. Whilst anyone will be able to pick the controller up and play comfortably, the best players on the global leaderboards will be those with the best feel for the different golf shots and who are able to take into account ball lie, weather and terrain conditions.

Instantaneous Gameplay

No loading times between holes means you are straight back on the Tee after sinking your putt on the previous green. Also, minimal loading times into a new course make for a refreshing change to your typical console game.

Unlimited Courses

No more getting bored of the courses given to you by the developer. With four clicks you can generate a unique course never seen before that’s ready to play.

Generate Courses

With four clicks of a button from the main menu the game will generate for you a never been played before course. The variation is infinite!

If you don’t like the course that’s been generated, one click and you can generate a new one.

If you want to tailor the courses a little more there are high-level options available to you. Examples of these are the number of holes, par distribution, fairway width, number of bunkers, green size, green slope and rough coverage.

Edit and Create your own Courses

If you have a particular course in mind, want to use your creative skills to create something from scratch or edit something the generator has created for you the game also has an in-depth editor.

The editor gives you the ability of create from scratch or mould anything on the course. You can alter the terrain, move tees, move greens, move holes, delete holes, add holes, bunkers, rivers, ponds, trees, foliage, buildings, animals and other objects.

During editing you can play the ball from any spot to review holes and make changes as you see fit. The minimal loading times make this practical and enjoyable.

Large Selection of Pre-Designed Courses Shipping With The Game

Courses for all skill levels and utilizing the best of HB’s creative talents will ship with the game. They can be played individually but will also make up the tournament itinerary for the pre-designed Tour that also comes with the game.

Online Sharing And Play
  • Play others creations - work your way through the huge database of user created courses, each rated by other users to help make the decision easy to make.
  • Share your courses with the World – when you’re happy with your creations you can publish them for the rest of the world to play.
  • Play against others live or from the past - each round you play on every course is saved Online. Choose from Friends Rounds, Record Rounds or Rivals Rounds (others players close to your ability) to compete against. Their ghost balls and scores will be visible throughout your round giving you the feeling of competition without losing the instantaneous game play. Ghost and live balls can be hidden if so desired either selectively or en masse.
  • Compete in Tours and Tournaments – play against other players throughout the world in user made tours and tournaments.
  • Watch others play the courses you’re on live – through our ball trace system you can see other users from around the world on the course that you are playing live, even if they’re on different holes.
Tours and Tournaments

Create and share Tours and Tournaments made up of your favourite courses to test your friends’ or players worldwide over a number of rounds and courses.

These can be Time Constrained or Indefinite. You can choose a start and end date with just one entry per player or, if your tournament or tour is indefinite, you can allow players to enter as many times as they want to try and get to the top of the leaderboard.

Social Feeds and Messages

You will be kept up to date with the world of The Golf Club through a fully interactive social ticker bar and an in-game message feed

To create a truly competitive world the messages will tell you:
  • Friends achievements and creations
  • Friends currently playing
  • When your records on courses are broken
  • Invites from friends to play
  • Major achievements from all players within The Golf Club
With one press of a button you can interact with these messages. Immediately join your friends on a round or regain your record by jumping to the course and / or hole where the record was broken. All rounds are constantly saved so you can return to your previous game whenever you want to and play from where you left it.

The Golf Club screenshot gallery - Click to view The Golf Club screenshot gallery - Click to view The Golf Club screenshot gallery - Click to view The Golf Club screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 61 bcruise @ 01/24/14 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Clubber
There is a post about closed PC Beta testing now on the game's website... I can't post the link with being new on here... but definitely check it out!
I can.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/24/closed-beta/

# 62 LingeringRegime @ 01/24/14 09:46 PM
Sign me up for the closed beta on PS4.

My Little Sony Vaio doesn't have the processing power for the PC version.

# 63 MERACE @ 01/24/14 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Thanks clubber, I sent my request in this afternoon.
Dittos!

-MERACE

# 64 ODogg @ 01/25/14 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Thanks man, I just emailed them...hope I'm picked!!

Oh and just a comment to the guy above who was negative about the game it being a licensed PGA game...I couldn't care less to be honest...I don't think most people do either.. I only know a few of today's golfers and don't need them in a game to make the game worthwhile..

# 65 OnlookerDelay @ 01/25/14 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Oh and just a comment to the guy above who was negative about the game it being a licensed PGA game...I couldn't care less to be honest...I don't think most people do either.. I only know a few of today's golfers and don't need them in a game to make the game worthwhile..
Your post gave me pause and forced me to think - 'how does the lack of the likenesses of PGA players in the game affect me?'. It didn't take long for me to realize that it's little, if anything at all. The only time I saw the licensed pros in the TW series was when I was forced to play against them in the process of grinding for attributes. I never opted to play a match or a round for fun with them.

I don't see where the lack of licensed PGA players is going to hurt the sales of The Golf Club significantly. To the contrary, there might be some who pick it up because it doesn't have all the tinsel.

# 66 brent3419 @ 01/25/14 10:54 AM
i cant wait to see this game. i can see my self staying up all kinds of hours making and building courses, i do however want to know more info regarding the golfers in game are, how are they going to look, what kinds of attributes will there be, how many actually are on there, once this is shown, i will drop my cash on it

# 67 ODogg @ 01/25/14 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Your post gave me pause and forced me to think - 'how does the lack of the likenesses of PGA players in the game affect me?'. It didn't take long for me to realize that it's little, if anything at all. The only time I saw the licensed pros in the TW series was when I was forced to play against them in the process of grinding for attributes. I never opted to play a match or a round for fun with them.

I don't see where the lack of licensed PGA players is going to hurt the sales of The Golf Club significantly. To the contrary, there might be some who pick it up because it doesn't have all the tinsel.
Yeah exactly man, this ain't the NFL we are talking about here. Most of the game buying public knows one current golfer and that's Tiger Woods and maybe a small handful of others.

Golf the video game is bought by a lot of people like myself who enjoy golf videogames but don't really follow the PGA..so a license isn't near as crucial as most sports video games..

# 68 OnlookerDelay @ 01/25/14 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Golf the video game is bought by a lot of people like myself who enjoy golf videogames but don't really follow the PGA..so a license isn't near as crucial as most sports video games..
I don't know how typical I am of the average golf gamer, but I follow the PGA Tour quite heavily. I could probably reel off 100 PGA Tour player's names from memory, without coming up for air. Yet for some reason, when I play a golf video or computer game, I don't want to play as one of them. I like having my own identity as I play the game, as long as my attributes are at least as good in the game as they are in real life. I enjoy being able to play the game as if I had the skills of a pro, but it's not necessary for me to get enjoyment out of the game.

In the game, the licensed names mean nothing more to me than variable names on a spreadsheet. At least that's the feeling I've had playing "against" them in career mode in competing games.

# 69 LingeringRegime @ 01/25/14 05:52 PM
I hope that the character creation options are infinite like the course options.

How cool would it be if no other golfer would look the same?

# 70 rolltide1017 @ 01/26/14 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, there is no character creation, at least not when the game launches. Here is what one of the devs said when asked about it:

Quote:
Not in the first iteration. It's something we want to do, but it's an expensive part of the development in terms of time and money. So we decided to spend it on gameplay and the course creator.

# 71 i3man @ 01/26/14 01:20 AM
The swing motion in the game looks a lot better than TW ever was. With all the technology available I could never understand why TW could never get a swing motion that looked like actual PGA tour pros swinging golf clubs.

I had no intention of buying a PS4 or XBOX One but golf games have always been my thing and this does at least spur some interest in a new console...not sure it's worth $400 bucks though.

# 72 acelang123 @ 01/26/14 04:19 PM
Its too bad we cant be building off of what we have seen already in the tiger woods series. I think 14 was a great final game for the series. All four majors, legends mode and a decent career mode.

As we move on, EA will probably retain many licenses and build a sweet game for 2015. That said, it looks like the golf club will do some things that are interesting. Being a fan of video game golf, im probably buying this. Course creator is the most attractive part as well as the open source feel of the sharing aspects presented. Tiger Woods was like a museum, its beautiful, but you cant touch the cool stuff, but feel free to crunch a quarter into a neat souvenir on your way out.

But.....we start again. Like always. Think about where we've been in video game golf and where we are going.

I hope this Golf Club game is deep. It sounds like it, but we will find out around Masters time. If it doesnt get delayed....you know how video games are.

# 73 jmaj315 @ 01/27/14 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
From what I understand you can play your shot from anywhere as of right now. There currently is no designated out of bounds areas - but they will look into possibly implementing that at a later time.
Sweet! It was be cool if we were able to set out of bounds as the course designers (local rules i guess)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Clubber
Yes, you can move the holes around. The size of the area available is equivalent to that of a typical real-world golf course. You can pick up a complete hole and move it to a different location in the area, re-angle doglegs, raise/lower terrain using brush-style tools, scale and rotate different shapes of traps, place objects, change time of day and lighting direction, you can even change theme in a couple of seconds for a completely different feel to a course you've made... and lots more
This almost made me you know what in my pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Sign me up for the closed beta on PS4.
Me toooooooo

# 74 8iron @ 01/27/14 06:29 PM
I hope we will be able to move the ball around within the teeing ground in this game. That inability in TW has always bugged me.

# 75 OnlookerDelay @ 01/27/14 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8iron
I hope we will be able to move the ball around within the teeing ground in this game. That inability in TW has always bugged me.
It won't be part of this game, at launch, either. I honestly don't get the sense that the developers were hip to the desire for this feature. I think we'll see it in an update, but that's pure speculation on my part.

# 76 rolltide1017 @ 01/30/14 09:42 AM
Just saw this posted by one of the game's producers in there forums when asked if green speed were adjustable or tied to the chosen theme.

Quote:
As much as we want realism we also need to remember it's a game. It's very easy for us to give each course it's own definable speed and bounce but from a player perspective we need to make sure that what they expect to happen it happening, especially when you've got something like our swing mechanic that has no gauge. Imagine the first day you get the game and putting is different on each course you play, it would become very frustrating very quickly. Once people grasp the mechanic, I think there is then room to add such a feature though.
This is another post that has tamed my expectations. I really don't think we are going to get the "sim" golf game some of us were hoping for because I disagree with everything this producer said in that post. Putting should be different on each course you play, that's part of golf and part of learning each course. The only players who would be frustrated by this would be those looking for an arcade experience.

I really hope that those who get into the beta are free to talk about the game because I'd love to hear some impressions about playing a round of golf from other like minded golf fans. I'm just going to completely adjust my expectations from now on because it's starting to feel like it will have a great course creator with a generic game of golf attached. Generic may be to harsh a word but, I'm not expecting "sim" golf anymore, at least not at launch. Still looks like a fun game but, I think my expectations were set too high when the game was first announced.

# 77 Gerg04 @ 01/30/14 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
Just saw this posted by one of the game's producers in there forums when asked if green speed were adjustable or tied to the chosen theme.

This is another post that has tamed my expectations. I really don't think we are going to get the "sim" golf game some of us were hoping for because I disagree with everything this producer said in that post. Putting should be different on each course you play, that's part of golf and part of learning each course. The only players who would be frustrated by this would be those looking for an arcade experience.

I really hope that those who get into the beta are free to talk about the game because I'd love to hear some impressions about playing a round of golf from other like minded golf fans. I'm just going to completely adjust my expectations from now on because it's starting to feel like it will have a great course creator with a generic game of golf attached. Generic may be to harsh a word but, I'm not expecting "sim" golf anymore, at least not at launch. Still looks like a fun game but, I think my expectations were set too high when the game was first announced.
I took from your quote that green speeds WOULD be different on each course. And that giving the user the ability to tweak would come later. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

I'm still pretty pumped about this game. Everything I've read so far is that they're establishing a quality base and plan to build and change from there via patches, including listening to user feedback. To me, this is everything we could ask and expect from a dev AAA or indie. Now whether they actually hold up that end, we will need to see.

Either way, count me as excited and willing to support (as others have said) until they show a reason not to. Brand new system, brand new game. .anyone expecting this to be a fully polished machine at launch is probably expecting too much.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

# 78 rolltide1017 @ 01/30/14 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
I'm still pretty pumped about this game. Everything I've read so far is that they're establishing a quality base and plan to build and change from there via patches, including listening to user feedback. To me, this is everything we could ask and expect from a dev AAA or indie. Now whether they actually hold up that end, we will need to see.
I agree and I'm still pumped for the game but, I'm just pulling back my expectations a bit. When it was announced I got images of the old Links PC days dancing in my head.

# 79 DivotMaker @ 01/30/14 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
When it was announced I got images of the old Links PC days dancing in my head.
I might very well be wrong, but I doubt you will EVER see another Links PC because it reaches mainly the hardcore audience and the hardcore audience has traditionally shown not to be big enough to sustain further development. Links, JN6, PGA Championship, Tiger PC all no longer developed or produced because they simply did not return enough revenue and profitability to sustain those franchises. Adding simulation-like elements to TW14 did not have a measurable impact on sales. If you were a developer looking to make money for yourself and your company, what would you do? I hope these guys build on what the community asks for, but I also hope the community is large enough to sustain their revenue and profitability and supports the franchise.

# 80 ODogg @ 01/30/14 03:31 PM
Call me arcade or whatever but I agree with the decision, I don't want each time I putt to not know how the ball will react in regards to it being different depending upon the course. Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue but that sounds awful to me, yes I want realism but I'm not a professional golfer either...that much realism would kill the game for me and others who don't study the courses like maybe die hards do..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.