Home
The Golf Club News Post

The HB Studios team is busy answering questions in their official forums right now, with several details coming out about their upcoming Golf Sim. We're hoping the HB Studios guys get on OS soon to do the same.

From the tone of the developers and reps answering questions, it seems as if The Golf Club will be a digital title with regular updates to add new features. It was mentioned that while PC Support will be initially supported (along with PS4 and XBox One), the team was going to look into the Mac platform as well.

Here are some more details:

-Tours and Tournaments can be created and shared with the world.
-No AI players, any competition will be with ghost balls/other user players.
-Game will be quickly iterated after release, makes you wonder what the business model will end up being.
-No PS Move/Kinect support initially.
-Swing mechanics are analog stick driven.
-No career mode.
-Everyone has the same attributes, so no advancing of skills or anything like that.
-Can’t set club distances, preference was to have everyone compete as equals.
-At the moment, no officially licensed gear appears to be in the game.
-All Fictional Courses
-Every created course is rated on a 1-10 scale by users and can be stored as a favorite.
-Each course is rated from Easy to difficult based upon how users are playing it.
-Three ways to play: Stroke play, match play, four ball.
-No difficulty modes. Since its you and the course, your difficulty mode is the difficulty of the courses you decide to play.
-You can start with a completely blank slate and create courses one hole at a time.
-No arcade features like power boosts, etc. Goal is to give a simulation golfing experience to users.

What do you all think of the game thus far?

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Shaffer26 @ 01/23/14 12:56 PM
Typically golf games aren't my thing, but this sounds pretty interesting.

# 2 ExtremeGamer @ 01/23/14 12:59 PM
Sounds fantastic!!

# 3 DirtyJerz32 @ 01/23/14 01:03 PM
I love the now arcade power boosts, all straight sim is cool. My only question is the difficulty. If someone starts to master the analog shot mechanics I could see the -20 par rounds come quickly. I hated that part of Tiger.

# 4 OnlookerDelay @ 01/23/14 01:05 PM
It looks like an impressive feature list for a game that's not trying to break the bank doling out licensing fees. I think we'll have some faithful replicas of familiar courses in due time, but what I've seen from the fictional courses the developer has created from the same course designer we'll be using, I don't think I'll be disappointed while the famous courses in being developed by amateurs like myself. I've already got Quail Hollow on my "to do" list

# 5 HustlinOwl @ 01/23/14 01:07 PM
would have liked to play a career mode

# 6 pietasterp @ 01/23/14 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
It looks like an impressive feature list for a game that's not trying to break the bank doling out licensing fees. I think we'll have some faithful replicas of familiar courses in due time, but what I've seen from the fictional courses the developer has created from the same course designer we'll be using, I don't think I'll be disappointed while the famous courses in being developed by amateurs like myself. I've already got Quail Hollow on my "to do" list
I always feel like one of the best tests of the robustness of a course creator is Spyglass Hill....if you can do a good representation of that track, with crazy elevation changes, oceanside cliffs, rocky outcroppings, and odd man-made objects (randomly placed fences, etc.), you've got a pretty powerful course designer on your hands...

I would really like for this to have a limited "social" requirement...I'm a bit concerned that there seems to be more of a focus on this aspect than I'd like, but let's wait and see how it turns out.

# 7 ECPackers @ 01/23/14 01:32 PM
nah.... i love playing golf games, a lot of fun, very competitive... but this game has nothing... its like, an arcade version of golden tee... which is an almost arcade version of golf! lol

# 8 Danimal @ 01/23/14 01:37 PM
- Everyone has the same attributes, so no advancing of skills or anything like that.
-Can’t set club distances, preference was to have everyone compete as equals.

Sold me right there.

# 9 PAPERNUT @ 01/23/14 01:54 PM
The information keeps getting better. Remove the fluff and give a nice golf simulation and I will gladly pay for it. I love the even part as I do not have time to build a player up. I just want to play.

# 10 burjeffton @ 01/23/14 01:57 PM
This is really shaping up to be interesting. Seeing as HB Studios has designed a lot of the iOS games for MLB, etc, I'm hoping this isn't a FTP model that nickels and dimes.

# 11 jmaj315 @ 01/23/14 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
I love the now arcade power boosts, all straight sim is cool. My only question is the difficulty. If someone starts to master the analog shot mechanics I could see the -20 par rounds come quickly. I hated that part of Tiger.
If you can't set club distances and there is no skill system, all one would have to do is make the hole longer to eliminate those -20 rounds.

I think the creating a course is what will have me buy it. Just a two or three things I'm hoping we'll be able to do when customizing our course could be make or break (for me)

# 12 DivotMaker @ 01/23/14 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPackers
nah.... i love playing golf games, a lot of fun, very competitive... but this game has nothing... its like, an arcade version of golden tee... which is an almost arcade version of golf! lol
Sounds like you have not read their forums or website material as they have stated the game is anything BUT arcade Golf....

# 13 DivotMaker @ 01/23/14 02:30 PM
Look again, there are several EA Golf titles they have worked on.....

# 14 HunterK13 @ 01/23/14 03:20 PM
I'm not huge golf guy, but this is really a cool idea. Plus, they have great credentials.

# 15 GamerDad48 @ 01/23/14 03:42 PM
i like this idea. Sounds fun! Will it come to PS3?

# 16 DivotMaker @ 01/23/14 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDad48
i like this idea. Sounds fun! Will it come to PS3?
According to the Devs no. Just Xbox One, PS4, and PC. PS3 and 360 won't run the game due to not using DX 11...

# 17 RumbleCard @ 01/23/14 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
would have liked to play a career mode
I agree. It probably won't keep me from buying the game and I like to support companies with this kind of vision but as we've seen typically after a few months the amount of competition dwindles.

With no AI and no career mode it'll be a bit of a choir to stay interested playing round by round.

Hopefully this is a first step with bigger things to come. If they can effectively add AI and a deep career mode this could be huge looking down the road.

# 18 LingeringRegime @ 01/23/14 08:35 PM
I am all in for this.

Sounds like just what I want in a golf. I couldn't care less about real golfers.

# 19 rolltide1017 @ 01/23/14 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
I agree. It probably won't keep me from buying the game and I like to support companies with this kind of vision but as we've seen typically after a few months the amount of competition dwindles.

With no AI and no career mode it'll be a bit of a choir to stay interested playing round by round.

Hopefully this is a first step with bigger things to come. If they can effectively add AI and a deep career mode this could be huge looking down the road.

I kinda disagree. If they can nail the core gameplay I think players will stick around. The possibilities are endless with and infinite number of course and community created tours. The deep career mode will be taken care of by the community, it may not be officially licensed PGA stuff but, it will be deep. I'm not sure if you played Links back in the day on PC but it had a huge community with extremely challenging and complex tours that you could join. There are people still playing those games to this day. If TGC can capture just a fraction of that experience, it will be better then any previous console golf game.

That may be a lot of ifs but, it has a lot of potential even without a career mode or AI golfers.

# 20 OnlookerDelay @ 01/24/14 08:37 AM
You raise some valid concerns Seymour; however, there's a factor that we know next to nothing about so far with The Golf Club, and that's this portion of a feature bullet on the official website:

We’ve created and fine tuned a swing mechanic that is more about *feeling and fluidity* above the users’ accuracy of hitting a marker on a power bar.

I have a strong hunch that the feeling and fluidity of the swing interface are going to have a lot of bearing on the shot's distance and accuracy. To narrow it down a bit, I'm thinking there's going to be a rhythm component to their swing interface that has been AWOL in Tiger. It's a critical element of this game's chances for long term success, IMO. I don't think we're going to really know how it will feel or whether it will be the difference maker until we get our hands on it.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.