Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

While we wait on official word for the MLB 14 The Show release date, one has to wonder if the PS3 and PS4 versions will ship on the same day or not.

Looking back at MLB 07 The Show, the PS2 version shipped on February 26th, while the PS3 version didn't ship until May 15th.

I sent a note to Russell, but I'm not sure if he is allowed to elaborate on it. But he did have this to say yesterday.

Quote:
There's no conspiracy or grand design, everything is going according to our schedule for this year. There won't be any less information about the game than there was last year. The schedule is different this year that's all, nothing more nothing less.

Either way, it's fun to speculate, since we haven't seen anything new recently. Last year, we received the fact sheet on January 14th. We also saw some gameplay from CES last year at around this time, but it wasn't on display this year. Just taking a peek at our MLB 13 The Show page, we saw a few Developer Journals with hands-on impressions at the end of January.

Let's hope we see or hear something soon.

Written by: Steve Noah

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Iceman87GT @ 01/24/14 01:07 PM
As long as the stuff I start on my Vita will be able to transfer to the PS4 version when that releases I'll be okay.

# 82 Kev_Byers17 @ 01/24/14 09:51 PM
I wonder since they introduced nike last year if on the ps4 they'll introduce more brands.?

# 83 NYJin2011tm @ 01/24/14 11:29 PM
I'm so old I remember the Dark Ages(before internet) where you couldn't find info or release dates of games. You went into a store whatever was there was there and those were your choices. We are so spoiled with the internet these days lol.

# 84 HustlinOwl @ 01/24/14 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
I'm so old I remember the Dark Ages(before internet) where you couldn't find info or release dates of games. You went into a store whatever was there was there and those were your choices. We are so spoiled with the internet these days lol.
the entitlement/look at me generation

# 85 smiley3 @ 01/24/14 11:57 PM
Gametrailers.com has the ps4 version coming out on April 15 and ps3 and vita on April 1

# 86 LastActionHero @ 01/25/14 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley3
Gametrailers.com has the ps4 version coming out on April 15 and ps3 and vita on April 1
I would be perfectly fine with that if that means a better product straight out of the box.
Better then waiting for a first patch like last year with the pitcher frame hickup problem that could really be a gamebreaker when happening on crucial pitches in a game.

Now keeping my fingers crossed for a ps4 demo in March

# 87 tessl @ 01/25/14 01:38 PM
While we are speculating how about this - the ps4 is so much easier to program and capable of handling so much more than the ps3 it is the ps3 holding back the release date.

They don't want to make ps3 owners feel bad by releasing the ps4 first.

If they do release the ps4 later it is because once people see it nobody will want the ps3.

Or, maybe not. After all it's just speculation.

# 88 Teigh Cubs Teigh @ 01/25/14 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
While we are speculating how about this - the ps4 is so much easier to program and capable of handling so much more than the ps3 it is the ps3 holding back the release date.

They don't want to make ps3 owners feel bad by releasing the ps4 first.

If they do release the ps4 later it is because once people see it nobody will want the ps3.

Or, maybe not. After all it's just speculation.
I highly doubt it. They already have a great deal of experience with the PS3 and have a game that runs excellently on it. I doubt that there are too many new features or bells and whistles that the PS3 couldn't handle being added this year as they've had to focus on 3 separate games.

Also, no matter how easy to develop for the PS4 is compared to the PS3 it still takes a considerable amount of time and work to do. Especially since they art assets all have to be redone...and to higher standards and fidelity. Plus even being easier to work with, there is still a learning curve I'm sure.

For all we know they are all running perfectly and smoothly and will be out next week (not happening but I'm making a point). We shouldn't assume that development is being "held back" by any of the platforms as they may have planned for a staggered release from the beginning. Not to mention the fact that there may not be a staggered release.

All we have to go on right now when it comes to knowing whether anything was held back or not is Russell's assurances that things are going according to schedule. That's good enough for me. Information - and the games themselves - will come out when it's time.

# 89 Mynameztwitch @ 01/25/14 07:03 PM
The greedy part of me doesn't want to have to wait till April for a new MLB game. However the reasonable part of me realized that any delay in the game is an assessed decision by the developers that would only mean a better product. No one wants the show to end up broken like NBA 2k14.

I will wait to hear information before I get too excited but I have a reasonable feeling that they will soon begin a countdown starting in the beginning of February. With a new generation, there will be plenty of new information for us all to drool over. I'm still under the strong belief that the game will be released in March since that is when they always release their games. Of course with a new generation can come new, unavoidable & unexpected obstacles. No matter, I know that the San Diego team is working their butts off and that the product will be outstanding as usual.

A part of me almost wishes they wouldn't release too much info. How much more exciting would the product be if you had to discover the new features yourself.

Keep up the good work Sony San Diego! I'm excited to see what you have in store for us.

# 90 bronxbombers21325 @ 01/25/14 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley3
April 1st would be fine with me. If it did come out in March I'd still be waiting till the 2nd week of April to do any roster edits, or franchise stuff anyway. I am certainly not starting a franchise until Masahiro Tanaka is added to the game. So it coming out a month later just gives me less time to sit there looking at the game sitting on my shelf knowing I can't start anything.

# 91 Artman22 @ 01/25/14 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
When the 07 version came out on ps3, it was bad. I hope the PS4 version isn't awful.
I remember.. The 07 version was the first jump to the ps3 and it was bad. I was thinking the same thing and hope this first one isn't bad. We'll have to wait and see.

# 92 johnlnames @ 01/25/14 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Sure, but are they expecting almost 3 months in between, like 07? It's something to think about.

I was thinking regular release for PS3, early March. But for PS4, I was thinking a little after opening day.
As long as it is released I will be happy. If NHL was released today on PS4 I'd buy it asap, but is it me or does it seem like developers are having a hard time with next gen? Seems like every game is being delayed and the ones that aren't, seem to be incomplete

# 93 RangersCruz @ 01/26/14 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
There is no official release date until we are all told what it is. Don't understand why people keep searching for one. If it was announced we would all know by now.
Yeah i can't wait for the game to drop on NG wish i kept the ps3 to play it a little earlier

# 94 soxin12 @ 01/28/14 09:08 AM
Sony's fiscal year ends on March 31.

Do you think there is pressure on SCEA to push back MLB 14 on next-gen so that they recognize sales of games and systems into Quarter 1 of their next year?

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy, but I can see from a business perspective that you would want to even out your earnings and this would be a good way to do so. Especially since we know that many people are buying a PS4 just so they can get The Show.

# 95 Blazzen @ 01/28/14 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxin12
Sony's fiscal year ends on March 31.

Do you think there is pressure on SCEA to push back MLB 14 on next-gen so that they recognize sales of games and systems into Quarter 1 of their next year?

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy, but I can see from a business perspective that you would want to even out your earnings and this would be a good way to do so. Especially since we know that many people are buying a PS4 just so they can get The Show.
I would think they would want it to release the same fiscal year as when all the expenses were incurred developing it.

# 96 Flaxseed Oil @ 01/28/14 10:17 AM
One reason not to have trailers or anything yet is because the PS4 version is likely not done. If they are wanting to put their best foot forward and have the trailer be for the PS4 version, then it makes sense to hold off on putting anything about the PS3 version out.

I still think the PS3 version will release, somewhat quietly, possibly, on March 4. I predict the PS4 version will release April 15.

# 97 ShowTyme15 @ 01/28/14 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
One reason not to have trailers or anything yet is because the PS4 version is likely not done. If they are wanting to put their best foot forward and have the trailer be for the PS4 version, then it makes sense to hold off on putting anything about the PS3 version out.

I still think the PS3 version will release, somewhat quietly, possibly, on March 4. I predict the PS4 version will release April 15.
I highly doubt that is the reason. They make trailers while the game is being built and in some cases it takes more than 1-2 months to make them. They are just on a schedule and sticking too it.

# 98 Eli_to_Cruz1080 @ 01/28/14 01:00 PM
The manager of my local gamestop told me that april 1st is the confirmed release date.

# 99 smiley3 @ 01/28/14 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli_to_Cruz1080
The manager of my local gamestop told me that april 1st is the confirmed release date.

For both systems?? PS3 or ps4?

# 100 Eli_to_Cruz1080 @ 01/28/14 01:02 PM
He said it showed the 1st for both ps3 and ps4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.