Home
News Post

It's official, Kevin Durant is on fire.

Last night, Durant topped off his 41 point performance with a game winner against the Atlanta Hawks at home. Over his last 13 games, Durant is averaging 37.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 1.9 steals while shooting 53.7 percent overall, 41.5 percent from deep and 88.1 percent from the free throw line.

The Thunder currently have the second best record in the league and the best in the west, and this is all without Russell Westbrook. Meanwhile, the Pacers continue to light it up in the East, with the defending champs trailing close behind.

Sound Off: At the midway point of the season, is Kevin Durant the MVP? Do you think Miami will repeat as champs this year? Who do you have playing in the Finals anways?

Sports Headlines for January 28, 2014

Game: NBAReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 lilteapot @ 01/28/14 01:35 PM
At this point, absolutely KD is MVP and I honestly don't think it will change. He's been on a tear for the entire season and he won't slow down enough for Lebron to catch up. He will have to average 30/10/10 to win over KD and Lebron doesn't seem like he's gunning for anything except a third title.

I want Miami to win, but I just have a hard time believing wade and oden will be healthy enough to give Miami what they need to survive an Indiana series. Everybody's saying they'll flip a switch in the second half and they dominated San Antonio on Sunday but their defense was still an issue and I don't think they will have the energy to play tightened defense for prolonged periods of time.

I have Indiana vs okc or spurs in the finals.

# 2 OkayC @ 01/28/14 01:49 PM
okc and indy in the finals. possibly the spurs, but parker has to, i repeat, has to be healthy. miami at this point is probably 50/50 with indy in a seven game series if oden continues to play well. but what stood out to me in both indy and miami games is that hibbert was near invisible in the box score. he didnt have double digit points or boards, to me that says something about there bench and defense. and if hibbert and west play well, then thats the icing on the cake for indy.

idk if miami will threepeat, but i doubt it. theyve looked gassed so far this season, when in times past theyve just looked uniterested. i think theyll turn it up for the playoffs, but not to as high of a level for as long as weve seen in the past.

And yes so far kd is mvp, and i dont see that changing though its possible that it could.

# 3 AlexBrady @ 01/28/14 02:58 PM
Picking an MVP in a team sport is silly. Fact is that the role players are just as important as the stars.

Durant is a wondrous player, but OKC's gameplan is flawed. You can't just give him the ball 30 feet away and ask him to shoot over double teams. That won't work in the playoffs. I like the foul line isolations better.

And Westbrook still isn't a real point guard. He forces shots and penetrations and can't run complex sets.

# 4 Jamesmaster @ 01/28/14 03:19 PM
Only injuries or a nuclear assault can keep Durant from the MVP.

Health will obviously also be a key for the playoffs. If the Pacers stay healthy, I think the Heat have no chance, especially not with Wade being as healthy as a 95 year old. Really interested to see how he will do in a long playoff series.

In the West anything can happen I think, although I see the Thunder go to the finals if they have Westbrook back.

# 5 ojandpizza @ 01/28/14 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
What KD is doing is Jordan like. I don't want to cause and uproar and completely compare KD to MJ but scoring wise, it's reminiscent. He is the most exciting player i the NBA right now

Agreed, he's going nutts right now. Other players have had big streaks like this more recently, guys like LeBron, Kobe, Iverson, and Jordan.. It's rare company.

# 6 ojandpizza @ 01/28/14 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
What KD is doing is Jordan like. I don't want to cause and uproar and completely compare KD to MJ but scoring wise, it's reminiscent. He is the most exciting player i the NBA right now
Would be cool to see an old school like shoot out between he and LeBron tomorrow. Like an old Bird and Nique or Jordan and Nique showdown.. Don't know that we'd see something like that from LeBron though.

# 7 J_Posse @ 01/28/14 04:33 PM
Kevin Durant is reaching into another plateau of greatness that only a few players have even touched. If he can continue at least 90-95% of the incredible tear he is on once Westbrook returns then the West is likely their's. He also will walk away with the MVP award and we might be in store for one of the greatest Finals clashes ever (Durant vs. LeBron II or Durant vs. George) .

It'll sadden if my Spurs don't reach the summit top ever again, as presently constructed with the Big 3, but losing to the two most dominant, amazing, unique and transcendent young figures in the NBA in 3 straight seasons isn't a bad why to end it. Especially because, unlike the Shaq and Kobe led Lakers teams, I hate very few players on either Oklahoma City (except Fisher, Perkins and Ibaka ) and Miami (Battier) .

Anyway, by season's end we could be debating whether Durant has reached or surpassed LeBron James. Shocking in my mind because I didn't think that would be serious debate for another 2 or 3 years.

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ using Tapatalk

# 8 J_Posse @ 01/28/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Picking an MVP in a team sport is silly. Fact is that the role players are just as important as the stars.

Durant is a wondrous player, but OKC's gameplan is flawed. You can't just give him the ball 30 feet away and ask him to shoot over double teams. That won't work in the playoffs. I like the foul line isolations better.

And Westbrook still isn't a real point guard. He forces shots and penetrations and can't run complex sets.
Although, what you state about all rotation players (and even some practice players/reserves) having value is true. There is no denying that the best players garner the most responsibility, burden of blame and are why most watch the sport. The Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Derrick Fisher, Shane Battier, Mike Miller, John Paxson, Michael Cooper, Sam Cassell and Kenny Smith type will always emerge when a championship caliber team needs them. Yet, day in, day out the Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird type will lead you to victories and hopefully - in the case of Durant - championships.

Everything you stated I agree with to some extent, but we've seen great players overcome questionable game planning and even flawed rosters/teammates before. Durant needs to remain at or near this level while Westbrook must be more willing to pick and choice his spots. I'm not completely sold on all their young talents come playoff pressure time and Ibaka still isn't a big enough offensive factor, IMO, but that may not matter if Portland, San Antonio, Los Angeles (Clippers) or Houston don't improve their own flawed rosters by playoff time.

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ using Tapatalk

# 9 24 @ 01/28/14 04:55 PM
He can't be stopped right now. Each game just builds his confidence even more. Plus the fact that Westbrook isn't out on the court only helps Durant's scoring efforts. Last time I remember a player being this hot was Kobe back in his prime.

# 10 ojandpizza @ 01/28/14 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Anyway, by season's end we could be debating whether Durant has reached or surpassed LeBron James. Shocking in my mind because I didn't think that would be serious debate for another 2 or 3 years.

Nahh.. There's no way.

# 11 Vni @ 01/28/14 05:53 PM
It will be a sad day in the NBA if Scott Brooks wins a chip as a coach.

# 12 The 24th Letter @ 01/28/14 06:07 PM
Durant is just ridiculous right now....I think he definitely grabs the MVP this year....he's a good step beyond any other contenders for the time being...

as long as MIA has LeBron James, they have a fighting chance to 3 peat...a series with Indy can go either way....people forget that they match up with Indy as well as they match up with then....

# 13 ojandpizza @ 01/28/14 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Durant is just ridiculous right now....I think he definitely grabs the MVP this year....he's a good step beyond any other contenders for the time being...

as long as MIA has LeBron James, they have a fighting chance to 3 peat...a series with Indy can go either way....people forget that they match up with Indy as well as they match up with then....

Watching Miami and Indy play is just great basketball to me as a fan. Great players on both sides, two teams I really like, just always an awesome series.

# 14 Gramps91 @ 01/28/14 08:11 PM
I'm not a huge KD fan but the man is burning it up. Congrats to him.

# 15 Go Miami @ 01/28/14 11:01 PM
Why does everyone keep saying Wade is unhealthy? He's sitting so he can rest his entire body so he's 100% for the playoffs. There's no serious injury or major "problems". Sure he's knees bother him here and there still but he has nothing that could be listed as an official injury. It's simply maintenance like when Pop's rests Timmy, Parker, or Manu.

No one seems to have mentioned some of the injuries to Miami's key role players this season either. They haven't established their normal chemistry and rhythm because of it. I think after the All-Star break they'll be getting back to form and readying for the playoffs. Add in Greg Oden who's looking better every day and they'll be just fine. You also can't count out Pat Riley making another move before the deadline.

The people counting out Miami are the same ones who've been hating on them since day one.

EDIT: J_Posse,

Durant is playing more minutes than LeBron, taking 3 more shots per game, and 3 more free throws per games. Statistically they're very close this year and LeBron has looked uninterested and seems to be coasting. LeBron is also putting up a better overall FG%. While I agree Durant is MVP this year and is playing great basketball, I think it shows how great LeBron is when Durant is barely putting up better stats and playing his heart out.

# 16 RangersCruz @ 01/30/14 08:23 AM
^^^^

Lmao typical Miami/Lebron fans " hes not even trying "

# 17 lilteapot @ 01/30/14 09:27 AM
Yeah I like Lebron and he's been trying hard all season. I don't think he knows how to coast. It's the rest of the team that's been lackluster.

# 18 Go Miami @ 02/02/14 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
^^^^

Lmao typical Miami/Lebron fans " hes not even trying "
Where did I say anything about him "not trying"? Please, by all means, point it out to me.

I was simply pointing out to the LeBron haters that he and the entire team have been uninterested and they HAVE been coasting in most of their games this year. This tends to happen when you're the repeat champs and you've been to the Finals three straight years.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.