Home
Beyond the Sideline Football News Post

Rumors are swirling over a new football game being made by the team over at Out of the Park Developments. The same team that makes the popular Out of the Park Baseball series.

Take this for what it's worth, but someone has sent us what seems to be the feature list for Beyond the Sideline Football with a teaser trailer to go along with it.

Below is the text from the email that was sent to us.

Quote:
I am someone who works at the concessions stand at our indoor replica of Fenway Park. I snuck this teaser and feature list out of our spacious 10-story office building and want to give it to you.

I risked my job getting this video to you guys, but I wanted to blow the lid off this thing. I’ve been overlooked for a promotion for way too long. It’s payback time. Now if you’ll excuse me, Markus is waiting for his usual Bratwurst sandwich, so I need to get back to work.

Beyond the Sideline Football Features
  • A realistic modern day American football experience with all current rules and regulations.
  • All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.
  • A 2D engine that represents all the action on the field, with the ability to call plays and watch them unfold, complete with the roar of the crowd and other sound effects.
  • FaceGen support allows realistic images of all players.
  • You dictate the action on the field: Set depth charts and develop strategies around your preferred style of play.
  • A complete box score for every game played in the league during its history, so you can always look back on thrilling victories and agonizing defeats.
  • The ability to sim decades into the future and watch teams' fortunes rise and fall as dynasties emerge, crumble, and eventually renew themselves.
  • You call the shots from the front office: Participate in the draft for your team every spring; trade players; and negotiate contracts with draft picks and free agents.
  • All of the (non-playable) Division I colleges as well as many more, with real players, so you can draft the next crop of superstars every year.
  • A living, breathing world full of news articles from around the league and a message system that lets you field offers from other GMs and hear what your players have to say.
  • A realistic sim engine whose creation was informed by 15 years of experience developing OOTP's sim engine
  • Complete histories, including stats, transactions, injuries, and contracts, for all players who have participated in a training camp during the past decade.
  • Nearly 50 tracked stats, allowing you to go beyond the usual numbers and dig deep into players' performance.
  • Each player features a Health Scan that lets you quickly assess their current situation by showing you which areas of their body are hurt, which areas are okay, and which ones are worn.
  • A clear, clean interface that lets you easily find the information you need.
  • Customization options, including the ability to change team names, the number of teams, the league structure, the league's country, and a variety of settings.
UPDATE: It is official, press release below.

Get Ready For the Kickoff!
Beyond the Sideline Football Announced

Last week's Out of the Park Baseball 15 announcement wasn't all we had planned - Today, just in time for this Sunday's big game between the Seahawks and the Broncos, we're unveiling the latest addition to our excellent lineup of sports management games - Beyond the Sideline Football.

BTS Football is being created by lead developer Francis Cole, who previously worked on Football Manager at Sports Interactive and joined Out of the Park Developments in October. He is a lifelong football fan and even created a football simulation as part of his college studies.

"I've known Francis since my days working at Sports Interactive," says OOTP Developments co-founder Markus Heinsohn. "He is a tremendously talented programmer who knows American football as well as anyone I've ever met and he has been working on his own football gaming projects for years. I am convinced that his skills, combined with our experience creating award-winning sports management games, will result in an amazing American football game which will bolster our product lineup for years to come."

"Having known Markus from our time at Sports Interactive together, and playing OOTP every year since, I was delighted at the opportunity to bring my football game to OOTP Developments," says Beyond the Sideline lead developer Francis Cole. "Beyond the Sideline will be an amazing American football GM game, thanks to technology such as FaceGen, releasing on PC/Mac/Linux, and having an existing code base that enables players to easily customize their leagues."

Beyond the Sideline Football will reach Beta in about a year, with a shipping date sometime in 2015. The game will offer these features:
  • A realistic modern day American football experience with all current rules and regulations.
  • All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.
  • A realistic 2D game engine that represents all the action on the field, with the ability to call plays and watch them unfold, complete with the roar of the crowd and other sound effects.
  • You dictate the action on the field: Set depth charts and develop strategies around your preferred style of play.
  • FaceGen support allows realistic images of all players.
  • A complete box score for every game played in the league during its history, so you can always look back on thrilling victories and agonizing defeats.
  • The ability to sim decades into the future and watch teams' fortunes rise and fall as dynasties emerge, crumble, and eventually renew themselves.
  • You call the shots from the front office: Participate in the draft for your team every spring; trade players; and negotiate contracts with draft picks and free agents.
  • All of the (non-playable) Division I colleges as well as many more, with real players, so you can draft the next crop of superstars every year.
  • A living, breathing world full of news articles from around the league and a message system that lets you field offers from other GMs and hear what your players have to say.
  • Complete histories, including stats, transactions, injuries, and contracts, for all players who have participated in a training camp during the past decade.
  • Nearly 50 tracked stats, allowing you to go beyond the usual numbers and dig deep into players' performance.
  • Each player features a Health Scan that lets you quickly assess their current situation by showing you which areas of their body are hurt, which areas are okay, and which ones are worn.
  • Customization options, including the ability to change team names, the number of teams, the league structure, the league's country, and a variety of settings.
  • Many benefits from utilizing the OOTP code base, like the user-friendly interface, online league support, HTML output, customizable text database and much more!

Beyond the Sideline Football screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Beyond the Sideline FootballHype Score: 10/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Mac / PCVotes for game: 2 - View All
Beyond the Sideline Football Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ubernoob @ 02/02/14 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusOOTP
I need to comment on this The player ratings development in OOTP is probably the most realistic part of the whole game, it matches real life extremely well. Also, scouting has been worked on the past couple of versions and now has the balance that most people seem to prefer.

I do not know what you exactly mean with "players/ratings/resulting statistics", but simulation results is something where OOTP definitely shines. Also, you cannot compare FM to OOTP in this regards, in OOTP most ratings directly relate to resulting stats, which in FM is not the case because of the nature of the sport.
No disrespect was intended. The statistics (especially when taking the league as a whole) are fantastic. I've spent more than my fair share of hours in OOTP. It always just seems that progression is a bit wonky to me, but again that can vary from game to game depending on how one weights their ratings.

# 42 drog1602 @ 02/02/14 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbennett54
This is awesome, I will be buying this!

Thanks

# 43 kaletore11 @ 02/02/14 10:36 AM
Best news EVER

# 44 GlennN @ 02/02/14 01:46 PM
Yep, great news! I own and love OOTP and own FHM (and have high hopes for it, though it still needs work). This could be the rival to FOF I've been waiting for!

# 45 Perceptor @ 02/02/14 02:14 PM
I'm already getting the word out onto my fm playing friends who've been dying for this. I'm so excited

# 46 GiantYankee @ 02/02/14 02:51 PM
This news is fantastic. Can't stop thinking about this game.

# 47 MachoMyers @ 02/03/14 12:32 AM
Great news, looking forward to this as an annual FM and OOTP purchaser. Marcus and BTS dev on OS is also awesome.

# 48 cv81 @ 02/17/14 07:03 AM
This Press Release is just a marketing vid, but here http://gmgames.org/2014/02/16/sneak-...-bts-football/ you can find screen captured video of the dev working on the game before the re-branding.

# 49 diamok @ 02/17/14 09:02 AM
Thank you to cv81 for posting the link...but I am way not a fan of non-clickable links. Sooo, here.

http://gmgames.org/2014/02/16/sneak-...-bts-football/

Take care,

# 50 cv81 @ 02/17/14 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamok
Thank you to cv81 for posting the link...but I am way not a fan of non-clickable links. Sooo, here.

http://gmgames.org/2014/02/16/sneak-...-bts-football/

Take care,
Look oops, Thanks for noticing.

# 51 diamok @ 02/17/14 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv81
Look oops, Thanks for noticing.
Lol, it's all good. Again, thanks for the link.

Take care,

# 52 R1zzo23 @ 11/12/14 10:33 PM
Every time I try to pop in NCAA or Madden I just know I'm not going to be happy with either game and just tell myself to hold out for this game to come out. I know it's coming out in 2015 and I will assume it will be late summer or very early fall so the release is still a ways away.

# 53 Kashanova @ 11/21/14 10:42 AM
Can't wait for this!

# 54 kaletore11 @ 12/04/14 05:52 PM
This game can't come soon enough...

# 55 LingeringRegime @ 01/06/15 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaletore11
This game can't come soon enough...

This might be my most anticipated sports title this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 56 mestevo @ 01/06/15 12:21 PM
Wonder if they're shooting for the start of the NFL season, with beta plans being talked about 'in the coming months'.

http://blog.ootpdevelopments.com/beh...-start-screen/

# 57 kaletore11 @ 01/06/15 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Wonder if they're shooting for the start of the NFL season, with beta plans being talked about 'in the coming months'.

http://blog.ootpdevelopments.com/beh...-start-screen/
That would be amazing.

The start screen.. Oh my God... FM meets NFL = all my dreams come true

# 58 R1zzo23 @ 01/06/15 02:47 PM
Easily the most anticipated sports game for me in years.

# 59 Kashanova @ 01/06/15 02:49 PM
I see myself playing this way more than Madden.

# 60 R1zzo23 @ 01/06/15 08:19 PM
I don't play Madden any more. I only play NCAA because of PocketScout's house rules he developed, how webpage maker and the editors. Now that the editor is not working for my game save I could be done with it and will get all of my football fix with BTS. With that said, I cannot wait for whatever version (praying it's V2) that has the college ranks as playable with polls and recruiting. That will be amazing! Can't even fathom what online leagues will look like.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.