Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

PlayStation.Blog has posted their MLB 14 The Show developer blog which details quick counts and player lock features, which help complete games faster.

Other details not mentioned in the video are listed below.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are game options; they aren’t mandatory.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are available in all game modes except Road To The Show.
  • Player lock will allow you to play a full game in as little as 10 minutes.
  • With Quick Counts on, you will cut your game completion times in half if used in conjunction with the Fast Play presentation setting. Games can now be completed in as little as 30 minutes.
  • Realistic stats in Quick Counts have not been compromised. However, you may see a slight increase in strike outs and walks.
  • To customize your Player Lock experience, visit the Options page and access the RTTS Options.
  • Player Lock fielding uses fielder-perspective controls, so all bases are mapped opposite of non-Player Lock games (i.e. Square = First, X = Second, Circle = Third, Triangle = Home)
What are your thoughts on quick counts and player lock?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 erod550 @ 02/26/14 03:16 PM
I'm concerned that this will mess up pitch counts like last year when you simmed ahead a couple innings and it would only sim one pitch per at-bat, so pitcher fatigue was off and the advanced stats at the end of the game were off too.

# 62 SVCbearcat10 @ 02/26/14 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks22
That's all cool but I won't be using these features most likely. Also when are we gonna see some ps4 footage? Any other previews for other games coming out on all platforms including ps4, they show off the ps4 footage. Obviously wanna showcase the next gen stuff. Don't get SCEA marketing this game with solely ps3 footage so far. We've seen how these games look and play on ps3. Show off the ps4.
I'm guessing you don't work in the business world. Others are probably right on how they are treating this as two separate releases. The PS3 will most likely be the larger buying base still, so you do not want to neglect them. If they feel as though no effort went into the PS3 version this year, then sales will tank and their reputation will take a hit. Only showing PS4 stuff will cause a small uprising. Next year... different story ...but this year, keep a focus on the PS3 version.

Their strategy is similar to other next-gen games that had different release dates. Generate excitement and buzz for the current gen in order for it to sell well, then do it all over again for next-gen. It's their best chance to maximize sales for both versions. Better sales means more funds going forward to make the game better. Also, I'd rather them take the extra time to test for bugs rather than preparing marketing materials.

# 63 chaz526 @ 02/26/14 03:44 PM
To people still complaining about the lack of PS4 footage - If the game is on pace to release in May, we're still 3 months away.

3 months pre-release in a normal year, when the game releases in March, is December.

December folks. We never saw anything in December.

#soon

# 64 Russell_SCEA @ 02/26/14 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
This is good stuff. Liking the new way the game looks. (not to sound unappreciative of the new info especially since we haven't gotten any recently) BUT I'd LOVE to just SEE what the PS4 is up to. Honestly the PS3 screens and vids aren't doing it for me anymore knowing how good the initial PS4 shots looked. Hopefully by next week (or the week after) they'll be ready to throw some PS4 media our way.

In due time kind Sr.

# 65 HustlinOwl @ 02/26/14 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
The PS3 will most likely be the larger buying base still.
I'll bet against that PM me your price

# 66 Russell_SCEA @ 02/26/14 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erod550
I'm concerned that this will mess up pitch counts like last year when you simmed ahead a couple innings and it would only sim one pitch per at-bat, so pitcher fatigue was off and the advanced stats at the end of the game were off too.
I'm a bit confused about this issue can you elaborate on this more please?

# 67 MLB Bob @ 02/26/14 04:02 PM
I didnt even know player lock was an option until the mini fact sheet. It has now become my most anticipated feature for this years game. I've wanted this feature forever and cant wait to try it out. And also saw from Kirby that classic fielding (having 1st still be O and home as X) as an option.

# 68 Simp @ 02/26/14 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erod550
I noticed the same thing a couple years ago but from what I can tell the one pitch thing only affects the counts in the pitcher/batter reports. The pitch count itself and the fatigue looked proper IIRC.... could be wrong though.

# 69 Blitzburgh @ 02/26/14 04:38 PM
Russell, here is the problem I see to the much anticipated player lock feature. From what I just listened too, you only get to play defense when it involves your player... This takes all of the intensity or challege away from the mode. I want to play lock mode on every pitch just like in NCAA footballs Lock feature. Can you imagin playing football in lock mode on only plays your are involved in? That would be really boring to me. I hope I am wrong and there is an option to play every pitch without selecting a pitcher or at least "balls in play" option.

Thanks,
Blitz

# 70 ShowTyme15 @ 02/26/14 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
Russell, here is the problem I see to the much anticipated player lock feature. From what I just listened too, you only get to play defense when it involves your player... This takes all of the intensity or challege away from the mode. I want to play lock mode on every pitch just like in NCAA footballs Lock feature. Can you imagin playing football in lock mode on only plays your are involved in? That would be really boring to me. I hope I am wrong and there is an option to play every pitch without selecting a pitcher or at least "balls in play" option.

Thanks,
Blitz
Is this what you're referring too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
As Knight believed, you do have the ability to set your RTTS Game Watch option to whatever you choose when using Player Lock. This means you can choose to watch every pitch of the game, only result plays, only fielding plays, etc. Of course, the default is Classic, which just simulates to your player's next appearance.

# 71 ShowTyme15 @ 02/26/14 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
From that screen shot there is a steal rating now?
Yes, this was first known from the Taiwan videos.

# 72 the_future420 @ 02/26/14 04:43 PM
Oh yeah. I'm definitely getting through a 162 game season this year. I can see it now. QC 2 of the games in a series, Player lock the third one. Maybe do 2 of each for 4 game series. Should be able to get through multiple seasons without simming anything, sacrificing stats or feeling disconnected from my team.

# 73 thaSLAB @ 02/26/14 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh

Thanks,
Blitz
It can be argued that watching every play is boring too, lol. Alas, you can set it to watch more events, just like RTTS. Also, technically you play defense on balls that 'may' be yours to field.

Edit: ShowTyme15 referenced you to the answer.

# 74 Blitzburgh @ 02/26/14 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Thanks... Well the video mentioned that while playing in player lock you are only getting to play the plays that involve your player. All other scenarios are simmed. Im am not talking RTTS mode. Im talking exibition, season etc...

# 75 Blitzburgh @ 02/26/14 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
It can be argued that watching every play is boring too, lol. Alas, you can set it to watch more events, just like RTTS. Also, technically you play defense on balls that 'may' be yours to field.
Thanks and true. I guess I was hoping it be more of a behind the back view to play the game from any position I want. That way you are still involved in every play just from the behind the back view...

# 76 Kirby_SCEA @ 02/26/14 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Thanks ShowTyme15! Just to clarify, you can select to watch/play multiple different ways when using Player Lock or while playing RTTS. Classic only shows your appearances, but All Pitches shows every pitch of the game, but from your player's perspective. Result Play shows the result pitch of every batter. Result Fielding shows every play while your team is on defense. Therefore, you can still experience every pitch/play of the game while using Player Lock if you choose to do so. The Game Watch option can be found in the RTTS Options menu, which is accessible when Player Lock is active. Hope that explains things more clearly

# 77 SK8RAK3NROLL @ 02/26/14 05:11 PM
Will i be able to play quick counts in online ranked games or online exibition games . or another online vs game that counts towards stats and records. thnx im mostly online player and like the quick count idea just not sure it applies to the way i play.

# 78 shaneomac @ 02/26/14 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
Thanks ShowTyme15! Just to clarify, you can select to watch/play multiple different ways when using Player Lock or while playing RTTS. Classic only shows your appearances, but All Pitches shows every pitch of the game, but from your player's perspective. Result Play shows the result pitch of every batter. Result Fielding shows every play while your team is on defense. Therefore, you can still experience every pitch/play of the game while using Player Lock if you choose to do so. The Game Watch option can be found in the RTTS Options menu, which is accessible when Player Lock is active. Hope that explains things more clearly
Thank you for that info. In my opinion this is the best feature they've added to the game. I'm going to create a switch hit center fielder and just use him. I hope this feature isn't a one year wonder but stays in the game forever.

# 79 Bat @ 02/26/14 05:13 PM
I love how the cam stays behind the batter when they hit the ball. Is that only for player lock? I would love to see more of that in the normal games.

# 80 tnixen @ 02/26/14 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat
I love how the cam stays behind the batter when they hit the ball. Is that only for player lock? I would love to see more of that in the normal games.

I think it's the new Dynamic batting camera????

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.