Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

PlayStation.Blog has posted their MLB 14 The Show developer blog which details quick counts and player lock features, which help complete games faster.

Other details not mentioned in the video are listed below.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are game options; they aren’t mandatory.
  • Quick Counts and Player Lock are available in all game modes except Road To The Show.
  • Player lock will allow you to play a full game in as little as 10 minutes.
  • With Quick Counts on, you will cut your game completion times in half if used in conjunction with the Fast Play presentation setting. Games can now be completed in as little as 30 minutes.
  • Realistic stats in Quick Counts have not been compromised. However, you may see a slight increase in strike outs and walks.
  • To customize your Player Lock experience, visit the Options page and access the RTTS Options.
  • Player Lock fielding uses fielder-perspective controls, so all bases are mapped opposite of non-Player Lock games (i.e. Square = First, X = Second, Circle = Third, Triangle = Home)
What are your thoughts on quick counts and player lock?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 ShowTyme15 @ 02/27/14 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
Funny cause I have never watched the intro on 13 all I wanted to do is to get to the gameplay as fast as possible and I am sure I am not the only one
Just watch it one day.

# 162 MrOldboy @ 02/28/14 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
The problem that a lot of people are complaining about when it comes to the ps4 graphics are the player models, so i doubt they've changed the actual player models since the pics were released.
The actual models are probably similar or the same, but simple improvements could make them look a lot better in the final moving image. When you have a good base small graphical improvements can make a in game assets look a lot better. PS3 screenshots don't look that great either compared to seeing the game running.

In the end though I could care less how the game looks in screenshot form. If the game plays at 60 fps at all times with no hitches I'll be very very happy. The jerseys could be loose, the players could have the wrong beards, but as long as it plays smooth I'll be plenty happy with the first PS4 game. Its the only visual aspect of the PS4 version that I'm really worried about as we're seeing tons of variability in performance on current gen consoles (PS4 & Xbox One).

# 163 merchant1874 @ 02/28/14 05:52 AM
No denying the intro was great.

Bit of a waste of time though. Not sure a sports game really needs an intro especially if it takes 3 months. Watch once and then done.

Anyway the game looks great and can't wait until April 1st followed by "sometime in May"

# 164 willithome @ 02/28/14 08:49 AM
The only thing I am concerned with is that they are gonna take out the broadcast presentations in the game. The Show 13 was a decrease in broadcast presentations for sure. I hope they added more this year instead of skimped out just to make the game shorter. I don't want that I want stat overlays of rankings and put in the current standings and a bunch of stuff like that. 13 just wasn't as good as 12 was in that aspect. Hope they please me with this. I am very concerned that it's gonna be stale and not feel like a broadcast anymore.

# 165 aukevin @ 02/28/14 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
No denying the intro was great.

Bit of a waste of time though. Not sure a sports game really needs an intro especially if it takes 3 months. Watch once and then done.

Anyway the game looks great and can't wait until April 1st followed by "sometime in May"
I didn't realize they spent that much time on it. I kind of feel I should go back and watch it seeing that I never have now. I haven't watched a sports game intro video in years. I just press X as fast as I can to get to a game started.

# 166 Woodweaver @ 02/28/14 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
The problem that a lot of people are complaining about when it comes to the ps4 graphics are the player models, so i doubt they've changed the actual player models since the pics were released.

You'll have to be far more specific. There are many aspects that go into the appearance of the players. If you're specifically referring to the models, are the complaints about the proportions or the poly count? If that is the case, then, yes, those probably won't change. My guess is, no, these aren't the complaints.

When you say "models", I'm, again, guessing you referring to some form of texturing, shaders, and/or lighting. These aspects are far more dynamic.

# 167 MrOldboy @ 02/28/14 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
You'll have to be far more specific. There are many aspects that go into the appearance of the players. If you're specifically referring to the models, are the complaints about the proportions or the poly count? If that is the case, then, yes, those probably won't change. My guess is, no, these aren't the complaints.

When you say "models", I'm, again, guessing you referring to some form of texturing, shaders, and/or lighting. These aspects are far more dynamic.
The one complaint that stood to me was regarding the jerseys. They do still seem very doughy in the middle areas where wrinkles happen and stiff on the edges. The sleeves and the tucked in part of the jersey look rigid and not affected by gravity the way you would expect. Because the jerseys cover so much of the players I feel like it stands out and was a complaint when the screenshots came out. I think one of Factzzz's complaints was regarding the jersey which I somewhat agree with.

This is the image that A_Quiet_Pro is referring to I think if anyone's curious.
Spoiler

# 168 Woodweaver @ 02/28/14 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Wood, would you be able to say if you guys were able to get the poly count greater to where it was in that Mike Napoli picture in the other thread? Like where you saw more texture, wrinkle, and detail in the right picture? I dont know how to quote something outside the current thread, but the picture I'm talking about is on the PS4 forums under "PS4 discussion" Pg 43, #1707 lol

Am I to assume then that the OP was referring to the head portion of the models in particular the faces when he mentioned complaints?

The difference in those two images is mainly lighting. Although poly/vertex count can affect lighting, an increase would not necessarily be required to achieve similar results. I will say that work in all these areas continued after that screen shot.

# 169 Woodweaver @ 02/28/14 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The one complaint that stood to me was regarding the jerseys. They do still seem very doughy in the middle areas where wrinkles happen and stiff on the edges. The sleeves and the tucked in part of the jersey look rigid and not affected by gravity the way you would expect. Because the jerseys cover so much of the players I feel like it stands out and was a complaint when the screenshots came out. I think one of Factzzz's complaints was regarding the jersey which I somewhat agree with.

This is the image that A_Quiet_Pro is referring to I think if anyone's curious.
Spoiler

Unfortunately, I cannot speak knowledgeably about the state or plans for cloth modeling.

# 170 tnixen @ 02/28/14 11:48 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot speak knowledgeably about the state or plans for cloth modeling.
Would you be able to tell us if there is more then 1 Jersey template for the PS4 version? So teams with no player names on the back will have the number higher up in it's normal place?

# 171 Tweeg @ 02/28/14 11:48 AM
Quote:
Don't worry. A speculative forum poster will do that for all of us.

# 172 Curahee @ 02/28/14 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
Don't worry. A speculative forum poster will do that for all of us.

# 173 LastActionHero @ 02/28/14 12:28 PM
I'm more into the cloth physics side of things. Check this ps4 screen of Pedroia. Besides the fact he is looking too cool for school with his shades and beard (in a positive sense haha) but his jersey sleeves just float around his arms which to me belongs only in the last gen era

# 174 Woodweaver @ 02/28/14 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I'm more into the cloth physics side of things. Check this ps4 screen of Pedroia. Besides the fact he is looking too cool for school with his shades and beard (in a positive sense haha) but his jersey sleeves just float around his arms which to me belongs only in the last gen era

I see. Can you give me some examples of games on the PS4 or XB1 that display the type of cloth physics you are expecting while processing 50+ active instances? I'd really like to check them out.

# 175 ryanmc564 @ 02/28/14 01:18 PM
Quote:
I see. Can you give me some examples of games on the PS4 or XB1 that display the type of cloth physics you are expecting while processing 50+ active instances? I'd really like to check them out.

I'll save you some time Woodweaver, there isn't any examples because nobody has done this yet. It amazes me that some peoples expectations of this game is so ridiculously high that they are wanting such small insignificant details that will go unnoticed when actually playing the game. Keep doing what you are doing the game is looking great!

Edit: In some ways screenshots are not the best way to represent a game Like The Show, the best way to represent a game like this is to see it in motion.

# 176 ShowTyme15 @ 02/28/14 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
I'll save you some time Woodweaver, there isn't any examples because nobody has done this yet. It amazes me that some peoples expectations of this game is so ridiculously high that they are wanting such small insignificant details that will go unnoticed when actually playing the game. Keep doing what you are doing the game is looking great!
Ridiculously high is an understatement.

# 177 Factzzz @ 02/28/14 02:03 PM
My complaints about the graphics is the face and body skeleton look the exact same as ps3 except for the beard and hair. I assumed the game would look like that picture of Napoli that was posted.

But my biggest complaint is still the way the jerseys look. As posted above in the Pedroia pic. The sleeves just look really bad, the jerseys as a whole look stiff.

You can tell by just looking at this picture that the jerseys look and move realistically in this game, but when you look at pictures of the Show, the jerseys just look stiff and hard.

I'm not saying it has to be perfect obviously, but the jerseys look the same as last gen, and it is clear as day how much better the jerseys look in some other games.

Also another thing regarding the jerseys is they don't have an unbuttoned option, that's more of a personal gripe, but like half the league wears their jersey unbuttoned.

Don't get me wrong either, i'm not trying to slight your work, i definitely appreciate all of SCEA's work and also the interaction, but this is something that should be said.

# 178 merchant1874 @ 02/28/14 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
I dont know how good of an example this is, but I will say FIFA 14 on PS4 has great cloth physics. (wrinkles organically, wind effects it naturally, it interacts with the environment realistically). Again, not sure just how good an example this is, but for MLB, what FIFA is doing would be a good start. (Don't get me wrong, what you guys are doing is good. But for what it seems like people are asking for, FIFA seems like it is it).
FIFA cloth physics are great. Pretty sure NBA2k was decent too.

However I'm not sure those games are similar or the processes involved may differ.

They don't need to be perfect, but would be nice if they had a lighter look/feel to them rather than the heavily starched look they have at the moment.

These are "the little things" though.

# 179 Factzzz @ 02/28/14 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564

Edit: In some ways screenshots are not the best way to represent a game Like The Show, the best way to represent a game like this is to see it in motion.
Nobody's done what? Make realistic looking jerseys?

Because that's all that's being asked here, and that's definitely been done.

# 180 tnixen @ 02/28/14 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
FIFA cloth physics are great. Pretty sure NBA2k was decent too.

However I'm not sure those games are similar or the processes involved may differ.
Yea in all honesty I do not think its really fear to compare MLB The Show to any other games. All games are programmed differently and besides I am sure if Sony could make the player models look better they would.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.