Home
The Golf Club News Post

OK - I have just been informed that there will be an email sent over in the next few hours that will provide access to the Golf Club closed beta today. Myself and any others who were lucky enough to gain access will provide what information we can in this thread. Asking questions is not a problem, but understand we may not be able to answer them all. I will post in here as soon as I have the game installed and have spent spent some time with it.

We just ask that you be patient - Thanks!

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 81 rolltide1017 @ 03/05/14 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
They could have a driving range where you can set up your swing and get the distances on your swings so you know that a 7 iron, you hit it say 160-170 yards...

I like your idea about the arrow but not the idea above. I want the game to be as difficult as possible, a true sim experience but, I don't want to have to keep a yardage book next to me on the couch. If I wanted to do that much work, I'd grab my real clubs and head to the real course. I want a sim experience but not an exact replica of real life, otherwise I'd get so frustrated and not play a round for months, just like I do in real life.

# 82 TheBleedingRed21 @ 03/05/14 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
I like your idea about the arrow but not the idea above. I want the game to be as difficult as possible, a true sim experience but, I don't want to have to keep a yardage book next to me on the couch. If I wanted to do that much work, I'd grab my real clubs and head to the real course. I want a sim experience but not an exact replica of real life, otherwise I'd get so frustrated and not play a round for months, just like I do in real life.
It's unrealistic to have a driving range to do a setup and know your yardage? Never said it would be in a log book. Memorization. I know I do this in real life.

If you don't, no idea how you ever use the right club.

# 83 the_future420 @ 03/05/14 10:58 AM
I would be fine with the game telling me what the range on any one of my specific clubs was, along with yardage to the hole. Let me figure out everything else on my own. I think that would be the best balance between being a video game and offering a sim experience

# 84 rolltide1017 @ 03/05/14 10:58 AM
That's my point, I don't want it exactly like real life, it is still a video game. I don't want to have to memorize my yardages in a video game, sorry that's just how I feel. If I have to constantly hit the range and practice in a video game, and memorize my yardages, I mind as well go play the real thing. Plus, once memorized what is the difference in having them displayed on the screen or in your head; in both instances you know how far you are going to hit the ball and there would then be no difference in difficulty. It would only be more difficult for people who suck at memorizing which really isn't making the gameplay itself more challenging.

It's also not realistic to have a play call screen in Madden, should that be taken away and you have to memorize all the plays? Maybe they should remove the scouting features in MLB The Show and force you to actually do your own scouting. My point is, you can have a very good sim experience and still have features that aren't completely realistic, like displaying your distances.

Showing distances, IMO, is not why past golf games have ended up being so easy for most people. One big factor for why previous games become so easy IMO, is that the courses never play true to there real life counterparts; mainly because you can level your character up so much that the hazards never come into play.

The Golf Club doesn't have attributes to build, everyone is going to be the same. This means we can design courses that place hazards right in the path of everyone's ball and they'll always be that way. A well placed bunker right were your normal tee shot will land will cause everyone to have to decide to either club down or swing harder and risk hitting the bunker. We've never had this in a console golf game because eventually your created character is so good that the hazards become just pretty scenery.

I think this is going to make a huge difference in The Golf Club. This means we can have very simple courses that are meant to see how low you can score and other courses that will challenge you on every single shot. This is real life golf in a nut shell IMO. I believe that most of the difficulty of the sport comes from the course itself. Most anyone can learn to hit a golf ball and, with practice, can learn to hit it consistently straight. The challenge then comes from what the course throws at you, how does it force you to do more then just hit it straight.

The local course I play most isn't real challenging and I can post a pretty good score, for me, when I play it. I played a round last year on a course in Birmingham that I had never played before and had one of the worst rounds I have had in a long time. I didn't suddenly forget how to play, that course just threw me challenges that I wasn't use to facing. This is potentially what The Golf Club is going to offer and it is one of the reason I'm so excited for this game.

This is all just my opinion, please don't take it personally. I just don't think showing you club distance has been a major reason for why past golf games are easy. Now, I completely agree with what you said about the aiming line.

# 85 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/05/14 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_future420
I would be fine with the game telling me what the range on any one of my specific clubs was, along with yardage to the hole. Let me figure out everything else on my own. I think that would be the best balance between being a video game and offering a sim experience
I would be cool with this. Put the yardage with club so I can pick what club I want to use.

Example... I'm hitting a shot and I know it's 180 yards to the pin and 170 yards to the green. Selecting a 5 iron it would show (160 - 185) or I can select a 4 iron (170 - 195) and depending on wind/weather/lie/ball placement I can use either.

# 86 Lieutenant Dan @ 03/05/14 03:13 PM
Or we could just have a Tin Cup round where all you have in the bag is a 7 iron

# 87 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/05/14 03:19 PM
Great movie!

And not a bad mini game.

# 88 MizzouBravesFan @ 03/05/14 05:00 PM
If this has already been asked I'm sorry but my question is, how is the course creator and do we know if we'll be able to create and play on real life course counterparts?

# 89 bluengold34_OS @ 03/05/14 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
If this has already been asked I'm sorry but my question is, how is the course creator and do we know if we'll be able to create and play on real life course counterparts?
The course creator is very well implemented, and its navigational simplicity is probably the feature that is most appreciated. It still needs a couple of additions and tweaks before the final retail build makes its way to store shelves, but most people should find it accessible at an entry level.

In it's current form, you will be able to come very, very close to replicating a specific course of choice, with some creations having a more authentic feel than others. I have spent approximately seven or so hours using the tool, and I am from mastering it, but feel very comfortable in the creation and application process of it, as a whole.

Example -

Hole No. 1 at Augusta(Tea Olive) You can duplicate the slight dogleg to the right perfectly, the elevation of the hole, and the right-side fairway bunker 300 yards form the tee-box. You can come very close to recreating the tree lines on both sides, and come very close to matching the undulation of the green and its shape.

As of right now though you will struggle a bit trying to create the exact foliage, Tree types, and of course - no crowds lining the fairway. Please understand that the CC is still also in beta form and many things could change between now and the final build.

# 90 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/05/14 08:24 PM
Great stuff Bob. Did they say anything about naming courses? I'm assuming we won't be able to call a created course by their real names.

# 91 TheBleedingRed21 @ 03/05/14 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
That's my point, I don't want it exactly like real life, it is still a video game. I don't want to have to memorize my yardages in a video game, sorry that's just how I feel. If I have to constantly hit the range and practice in a video game, and memorize my yardages, I mind as well go play the real thing. Plus, once memorized what is the difference in having them displayed on the screen or in your head; in both instances you know how far you are going to hit the ball and there would then be no difference in difficulty. It would only be more difficult for people who suck at memorizing which really isn't making the gameplay itself more challenging.

It's also not realistic to have a play call screen in Madden, should that be taken away and you have to memorize all the plays? Maybe they should remove the scouting features in MLB The Show and force you to actually do your own scouting. My point is, you can have a very good sim experience and still have features that aren't completely realistic, like displaying your distances.

Showing distances, IMO, is not why past golf games have ended up being so easy for most people. One big factor for why previous games become so easy IMO, is that the courses never play true to there real life counterparts; mainly because you can level your character up so much that the hazards never come into play.

The Golf Club doesn't have attributes to build, everyone is going to be the same. This means we can design courses that place hazards right in the path of everyone's ball and they'll always be that way. A well placed bunker right were your normal tee shot will land will cause everyone to have to decide to either club down or swing harder and risk hitting the bunker. We've never had this in a console golf game because eventually your created character is so good that the hazards become just pretty scenery.

I think this is going to make a huge difference in The Golf Club. This means we can have very simple courses that are meant to see how low you can score and other courses that will challenge you on every single shot. This is real life golf in a nut shell IMO. I believe that most of the difficulty of the sport comes from the course itself. Most anyone can learn to hit a golf ball and, with practice, can learn to hit it consistently straight. The challenge then comes from what the course throws at you, how does it force you to do more then just hit it straight.

The local course I play most isn't real challenging and I can post a pretty good score, for me, when I play it. I played a round last year on a course in Birmingham that I had never played before and had one of the worst rounds I have had in a long time. I didn't suddenly forget how to play, that course just threw me challenges that I wasn't use to facing. This is potentially what The Golf Club is going to offer and it is one of the reason I'm so excited for this game.

This is all just my opinion, please don't take it personally. I just don't think showing you club distance has been a major reason for why past golf games are easy. Now, I completely agree with what you said about the aiming line.
I guess I am saying it different than I am meaning it, so forget it lol.

I just mean like Tiger Woods how you set up your swing to fit your style. I just mainly meant, you can set up your swing (AKA like Tiger Woods driving range style they had) and basically just remove the distance marker so you don't know exactly where it is at. I did not mean it to make it a chore to know how far to hit it, I guess that is how it sounded so my bad.

# 92 bluengold34_OS @ 03/05/14 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Great stuff Bob. Did they say anything about naming courses? I'm assuming we won't be able to call a created course by their real names.

As far as I can tell you can call it whatever you want -

# 93 Lieutenant Dan @ 03/05/14 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
As far as I can tell you can call it whatever you want -
Rottenbush Links here we come!

# 94 SinisterAlex @ 03/06/14 01:19 AM
I'm assuming with the Course Creator we could create our own practice ranges?

# 95 half-fast @ 03/06/14 03:52 AM
I'm so excited for this game, maybe that's a bad thing, but I'm really awaiting this game's release.

# 96 OnlookerDelay @ 03/06/14 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
I'm assuming with the Course Creator we could create our own practice ranges?
Here's the closest thing we've seen to a practice range yet. It could get a lot more realistic in terms of looks if HBS enables mulligans for practice mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MA...ature=youtu.be

# 97 Hunkerdown @ 03/06/14 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteiding1
Do we have the option to choose post putt celebrations/anger? I think it would get old quick watching an NHL 94 goal celebration after every birdie.
Haha, I miss links games on pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Rottenbush Links here we come!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

# 98 bluengold34_OS @ 03/06/14 03:39 PM
Finally a video of me using the Golf Club course creator. Just a simple video of me creating a single generic hole.

# 99 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/06/14 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Finally a video of me using the Golf Club course creator. Just a simple video of me creating a single generic hole.

Pretty simple, but seems very deep.

Thanks Bob.

# 100 bluengold34_OS @ 03/06/14 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Pretty simple, but seems very deep.

Thanks Bob.
Happy to do it - As far as the creator goes, it actually is quite deep, and simple for the most part. Creating a generic course is simple, the real challenge comes when trying to create a real world course from scratch.Its just a simple as the video shows, but the amount of tweaking and research can make it a very long process.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.