Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HustlinOwl @ 03/05/14 11:32 AM
as I stated in previous thread this mode will bring in an influx of new players to online, if the servers and net code is drastically improved. Overall a lot to be excited about and maybe an OS Fantasy Online Franchise could work here and actually complete lol

# 2 tessl @ 03/05/14 11:34 AM
On the draft screenshot I noticed potential and overall are given for each player. I wonder if those players had to be scouted or if that is given automatically.

I also noticed on the contract screen it gave both available budget and total pending offers which is a welcome addition - if it makes it into offline mode as well.

# 3 bwiggy33 @ 03/05/14 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
as I stated in previous thread this mode will bring in an influx of new players to online, if the servers and net code is drastically improved. Overall a lot to be excited about and maybe an OS Fantasy Online Franchise could work here and actually complete lol
Absolutely! This has me really looking into it. The servers are going to be the deciding factor though. If I can't play an online game without lag it will be a no go for me. Other than that this looks amazing.

# 4 PadresFan @ 03/05/14 11:39 AM
Super excited about the overhauled trade logic and player contract logic...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

# 5 MrOldboy @ 03/05/14 11:49 AM
Quote:
We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.
Its been said a ton already, but please let these improvements make it into the normal franchise mode. It is a MLB The Show staple after all.

# 6 Pirate @ 03/05/14 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Its been said a ton already, but please let these improvements make it into the normal franchise mode. It is a MLB The Show staple after all.
Agreed. I have zero interest in the online components of this game. I don't even understand the appeal of an online franchise.

# 7 GruffyMcGuiness @ 03/05/14 12:07 PM
Online franchise is the reason I bought a PS4. Can't wait to get a franchise going with my buddies

# 8 Factzzz @ 03/05/14 12:13 PM
Quote:

Hopefully all the line up logic, trade logic and so on makes it into RTTS also

# 9 baseballphanatic @ 03/05/14 12:43 PM
Ya I don't quite understand why they won't confirm things that are on offline franchise. Is there any possible way that we can get confirmation on what is on (or off) offline franchise. Will realignment be on there as well? I would imagine the trade logic and all of that would be implemented but can anyone explain why this can't be said about offline? I'm not complaining, as it seems like if anything u can just run a 1 man online franchise as ur own "offline" pretty much.

Off topic. Maybe ratings are going to be released soon considering we are starting to c more and more ratings pop up as we get more info.

# 10 tnixen @ 03/05/14 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballphanatic
Ya I don't quite understand why they won't confirm things that are on offline franchise. Is there any possible way that we can get confirmation on what is on (or off) offline franchise. Will realignment be on there as well? I would imagine the trade logic and all of that would be implemented but can anyone explain why this can't be said about offline? I'm not complaining, as it seems like if anything u can just run a 1 man online franchise as ur own "offline" pretty much.

Off topic. Maybe ratings are going to be released soon considering we are starting to c more and more ratings pop up as we get more info.
Sony will not confirm because as of right now they do not know it's really that simple. There may or may not be enough time to bring these new features to offline mode. Offline and Online modes use different code.

# 11 pdawg17 @ 03/05/14 12:49 PM
This is only fantastic IF the actual gameplay is improved. Lag by itself would kill it for me...

# 12 aukevin @ 03/05/14 12:51 PM
Any kind of web features that go along with the online franchise?

# 13 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballphanatic

Ramone(SCEA) stated in another thread that the two modes are written separately and that getting in one doesn't automatically transfer to the other.
The reason they can't confirm one way or the other...is that they are trying to write the same code into the offline franchise(from what it seems he was saying).....and until they know that they won't run out of time....they won't say.

Looks good for you online franchise players.

To those saying they don't get online franchise play.
Really?
Competing in a more completely fleshed out baseball universe vs. other human opponents and/or CPU opponents as well doesn't sound appealing?
If this mode had Manage only Mode....I doubt I'd ever play offline again.

M.K.
Knight165

# 14 TGov @ 03/05/14 12:53 PM
I hope that "card view" in the retirement screenshot can be seen in the regular roster screen, it would save a lot of time and loading when I'm wonder what a player looks like...

Online Franchise doesn't appeal to me sadly as I only have one friend I play the game with and its not all that much that we get to play anyway...
EDIT: Also I just dont enjoy playing online, other players like to play cheaply but even if they play far, I just dont have as much fun as facing the cpu...

Also, if we play an online franchise against all cpu teams, if we can(just like an offline one) would we still need to have a strong, if any, internet connect? Cause most of the time it's laggy and screws up the gameplay...

But we gotta know if these new features/upgrades made it to the offline franchise, Im very excited for it!!!

# 15 aukevin @ 03/05/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
To those saying they don't get online franchise play.
Really?
Competing in a more completely fleshed out baseball universe vs. other human opponents and/or CPU opponents as well doesn't sound appealing?
If this mode had Manage only Mode....I doubt I'd ever play offline again.

M.K.
Knight165
The problem I have and why I don't play online (other than lag) is I don't like waiting on someone to play in a league/franchise. Every league I've ever been in it seems to take forever to line up a game time or even when you do someone is late, yada yada yada. I just don't have the patience for that. Offline you fire it up and you're ready to go, that's why I gave up on online a couple years ago. The appeal is there, it just never seems not to be a struggle for one reason or another.

# 16 Russell_SCEA @ 03/05/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
Any kind of web features that go along with the online franchise?

Yes Check the fact sheet.

# 17 aukevin @ 03/05/14 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Yes Check the fact sheet.
Oh yeah, thanks

• New user management functionality at TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• Make, accept, and vote on trades through TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• Resolve and simulate games on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• League members can now manage games on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)

# 18 TGov @ 03/05/14 12:57 PM
Will the PS3 verison have any less features than the PS4...?

# 19 seanjeezy @ 03/05/14 01:05 PM
Quote:
Worst case scenario, you can set up an online franchise with the other 29 teams being CPU controlled. That being said, if PSN were ever to go down you'd be locked out of your franchise so hopefully offline gets the same amount of attention lol.

Couple of things I noticed, both good and bad/disappointing:

- international players are still included in the draft, so I'm assuming that means no IFA's

- 90 man rosters, I was hoping they would at least fill out class A

- draft pick signings have now been moved to the offseason

+ free agent bidding

+ new trade and free agent logic

+ $9 million a year for Nelson Cruz is pretty close to what he is looking for in real life (I think)

+ I'm assuming career stats and retired players are forever in the database now

Looking forward to hearing more, especially about player progression and any potential changes to the player creation process.

# 20 Russell_SCEA @ 03/05/14 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
Will the PS3 verison have any less features than the PS4...?
Check the fact sheet kind sr.

« Previous1234567891920Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.