Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 MrOldboy @ 03/05/14 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Then what would you call it?

• League members can now manage TEAMS on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)

# 42 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 04:55 PM
Quote:
Then what would you call it?

This is the same assumption you made on TSN, yet have zero Dev comments to back that up.
I dont think its a good idea to tell people things as if it were gospel when you have no proof, but rather your own conjecture.

Lets stick to what we know and can prove as facts and let the Devs fill in the blanks.

The last one to be right is still better than the first to be wrong.
On point one...I'd call it managing roster moves and lineups.
Managing games is Manage only Mode where you can make in game decisions.
That's not what that bullet point is saying.

On point two.....I agree.....let's not start throwing out the idea that the differences are to milk money.....that was originally being bantered about in the case of UC(Stubs)...and we see from the dev blog....it had zero to do with how it's actually working.

Would SCEA love you to spend real $$$ on everything? Of course. Silly not to think so.
Does SCEA force you to(except for buying the game?) Not at all...(and someone say that you need PS+ for online.......and you might have a bit of a point...but I don't know if that was SCEA as much as parent Sony)

M.K.
Knight165

# 43 Curahee @ 03/05/14 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
On point one...I'd call it managing roster moves and lineups.
Managing games is Manage only Mode where you can make in game decisions.
That's not what that bullet point is saying.
I complete agree and understand that the bullet point did not say that exact point.
I do however took it that way.
I did not take it as you can watch your MLBTS games on TSN and actively manage them.
As a matter of fact, I was so far from that assumption that I didnt think anyone else would infer that either.

My assumption of the bullet point is that you can go onto TSN and manage your lineups and rosters for the next game to be played.

But since none of it has been implemented yet, none of us know for sure.

# 44 thaSLAB @ 03/05/14 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB1214
Agreed. If you can find people to play the games in a timely manner, like I've been able to in NCAA football, there is nothing more fan than doing a franchise or dynasty with others.

I do wish this had MoM though.
I think the key is keeping the number of HUM teams to a minimum. If you have a 30-team league with 3-4 friends, you won't have to do too much scheduling/management/resolving; just for those 2 or 3 series when its HUM vs. HUM. I think it makes it fun because your franchises now exist in the same universe, and you can easily keep tabs on what friends are doing, while having potential head-to-head match-ups for bragging rights! The ability to play seasons past is huge too.

And to whoever asked about lag, in a 1 HUM 29 CPU online franchise, play should be the same as offline. You are only using the servers for data tracking/storage at that point.

# 45 BrianU @ 03/05/14 05:15 PM
Looks great but I still have some big questions and right now I am not sure if I will do an offline or online franchise vs all CPU teams. Clearly online has many benefits like the expanded stat tracking, however we don't know the full story yet.

I would like to know exactly what is different between online and offline. What does online have that offline doesnt? what does offline have that online doesnt? Another big question is if you do an online franchise vs all CPU teams can you transfer that franchise to MLB 15?

Can we still control portions of the CPU teams like you can presently in MLB 13 franchise? Like draft for them or trade for them or do FA for them? Or is it an all or nothing deal when playing with all CPU controlled teams in online franchise?

If online franchise had 'save states' like offline does where you can make backups of the franchise incase you mess something up I would be all for it. I do not mind being always online connected if it brings additional features.

# 46 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Looks great but I still have some big questions and right now I am not sure if I will do an offline or online franchise vs all CPU teams. Clearly online has many benefits like the expanded stat tracking, however we don't know the full story yet.

I would like to know exactly what is different between online and offline. What does online have that offline doesnt? what does offline have that online doesnt? Another big question is if you do an online franchise vs all CPU teams can you transfer that franchise to MLB 15?

If online franchise had 'save states' like offline does where you can make backups of the franchise incase you mess something up I would be all for it. I do not mind being always online connected if it brings additional features.

While I don't know if you can take your online franchise from '14 to '15 and beyond(I hope you can)....
I'm fairly certain that you do get a franchise save as you do with any other save.
If that save is on your HDD or the server....I never thought about that.

M.K.
Knight165

# 47 Armor and Sword @ 03/05/14 05:37 PM
Classic roster online franchises would be a gamechanger for me.

The possibilites are endless.

# 48 tabarnes19_SDS @ 03/05/14 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I think the key is keeping the number of HUM teams to a minimum. If you have a 30-team league with 3-4 friends, you won't have to do too much scheduling/management/resolving; just for those 2 or 3 series when its HUM vs. HUM. I think it makes it fun because your franchises now exist in the same universe, and you can easily keep tabs on what friends are doing, while having potential head-to-head match-ups for bragging rights! The ability to play seasons past is huge too.

And to whoever asked about lag, in a 1 HUM 29 CPU online franchise, play should be the same as offline. You are only using the servers for data tracking/storage at that point.
There is a delay when using one human controlled team as far as advancing. All games need to be resolved server side. So even advancing a day takes longer than offline if it's the same as before.

Playing the game should be like offline if vs CPU as slab said.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

# 49 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Classic roster online franchises would be a gamechanger for me.

The possibilites are endless.
Yes....they are.
I hope that we one day get to setup offline franchises the way we can set up online franchises.
THAT would be off the charts.

M.K.
Knight165

# 50 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 03/05/14 06:12 PM
So no Rule Five draft?

# 51 xCeeTee @ 03/05/14 06:23 PM
Would love to do a few leagues on OS! Especially a fantasy one, that would be beast will 31 other people

# 52 Curahee @ 03/05/14 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCeeTee
that would be beast will 31 other people

# 53 tessl @ 03/05/14 06:41 PM
Has it been confirmed the ps4 version will have manage mode, online or offline?

# 54 Bat @ 03/05/14 06:53 PM
I thought this year they were doing digital player portraits instead of photos. Bummer.

# 55 HustlinOwl @ 03/05/14 07:08 PM
Quote:
I complete agree and understand that the bullet point did not say that exact point.
I do however took it that way.
I did not take it as you can watch your MLBTS games on TSN and actively manage them.
As a matter of fact, I was so far from that assumption that I didnt think anyone else would infer that either.

My assumption of the bullet point is that you can go onto TSN and manage your lineups and rosters for the next game to be played.

But since none of it has been implemented yet, none of us know for sure.
Lol this coming from a guy who never played online so you obviously dont know what TSN was capable in the past

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

# 56 Curahee @ 03/05/14 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Lol this coming from a guy who never played online
Another poor and false assumption by you. I believe we have been over this before.
And you dont need to play online to understand it.

I didnt write the constitution, but I understand it just fine.

Again, lets keep the direct answers to facts and leave the confusing conjecture out of it.

# 57 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat
I thought this year they were doing digital player portraits instead of photos. Bummer.
I believe you can get all cyberfaces by starting a fantasy draft...backing out and then continuing as you normally would.
Last year, that brought up all cyber portraits.

You guys are slipping a little this year......normally pics would bring out the hunters.....

I believe the available budget and the pending offers is different.

Also....it seems as though some team offers are hidden now....

This one is a reach....but that looks like the image from the editor.....

M.K.
Knight165

# 58 jmaj315 @ 03/05/14 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Agreed. I have zero interest in the online components of this game. I don't even understand the appeal of an online franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
The problem I have and why I don't play online (other than lag) is I don't like waiting on someone to play in a league/franchise. Every league I've ever been in it seems to take forever to line up a game time or even when you do someone is late, yada yada yada. I just don't have the patience for that. Offline you fire it up and you're ready to go, that's why I gave up on online a couple years ago. The appeal is there, it just never seems not to be a struggle for one reason or another.
See FLEX SCHEDULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Good point.
But when you are in active and competitive league....it's phenomenal.

....and it does give you the ability to let the CPU handle it if you can't match up at any point.

But most leagues will have set times to play...so you kind of work your schedule to accommodate....and they do have the flex schedule as well....which opens it up a bit.

M.K.
Knight165
Totally agree. It's absurd that people say they don't see what the draw for online franchise is... naïve imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Duke
I don't get the whole online phenomenon. I don't want to play against some idiot who throws nothing but curve balls and then quits half way through the game. Plus I want to play at my own pace. If I want to pause it to do something else real quick I can do that and not hurt the other person's experience.

I'll admit though that being able to have the CPU control the other 29 teams if I wish will make me at least try it out and see.
Well, in my leagues... we have tryouts. No unfair play/exploits. Simulation baseball is a must. Also we do scout reports on how everyone plays, so no hiding cheap plays from the commish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
So no Rule Five draft?
I would hope that's still in here. But maybe it would be a cheap way of "trading" players. Just keep a young guy or a AAA guy off of your 40-man so another user could scoop him up. Meh. I hope there's rule-5.

# 59 Curahee @ 03/05/14 08:15 PM
This is a Direct Quote from Lance regarding Online & Offline Feature parity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceL_86
Some of the logic will be specific to Online Franchises.

Namely the larger systems -- trade logic and parts of contract logic -- will be specific to online.

# 60 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 08:24 PM
Quote:
This is a Direct Quote from Lance regarding Online & Offline Feature parity:
Bummer, unless they did something different for offline franchise in regards to those features.

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.