Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 pirates1fan @ 03/05/14 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I believe you can get all cyberfaces by starting a fantasy draft...backing out and then continuing as you normally would.
Last year, that brought up all cyber portraits.

You guys are slipping a little this year......normally pics would bring out the hunters.....

I believe the available budget and the pending offers is different.

Also....it seems as though some team offers are hidden now....

This one is a reach....but that looks like the image from the editor.....

M.K.
Knight165
I am surprised nobody has pointed these out either! I understand the appeal of online franchise, but I never wanted to get involved in it.

I like the teams offers being hidden, just because it adds a bit of realism to things. I don't really have a strong opinion on the player portrait deal, I just like that they go to the cyber face when they sign with someone else. And, I do like the looks of the menu layout and budget info as well. Thanks for pointing those out.

# 62 pirates1fan @ 03/05/14 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Bummer, unless they did something different for offline franchise in regards to those features.

M.K.
Knight165
Indeed it is.

# 63 letsgopens66 @ 03/05/14 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
This is a Direct Quote from Lance regarding Online & Offline Feature parity:
Pretty ridiculous, IMO. I know people like to cut a lot of slack for the SCEA guys around here, but this is clearly something that should have been included for offline and online franchise. I'm pretty sure Madden even has identical features for their online/offline franchise. No excuses

# 64 SnakeEyez @ 03/05/14 09:48 PM
Great news... but they didn't touch on how the schedule will play out? The "days per series" option I see on the screen shot, is that the # of days users have in real time to complete their 3-game series vs. their opponent? Will it auto-sim unplayed games at the end of that 7-day window? In a 162-game season... will there be an auto advance timer (similar to nba2k online franchise)? etc. etc.

# 65 Russell_SCEA @ 03/05/14 10:14 PM
We see there have been lots of questions regarding what is and isn’t included in the offline portion of Franchise mode. While the majority of what’s posted in the blog is exclusive to online Franchise, we were able to make a good amount of improvements to the offline portion as well.

Those improvements are as follows:
  • Hire and fire coaches at any point in the season
  • Editable Player Potentials
  • CPU draft logic improvements to have them draft mainly based on the Scouted Potential
  • Simulator stat improvements to address stats ballooning in subsequent years
  • Refined player generation logic
  • Improved player Overall formula to help separate truly elite players from the pack
  • Player regression has been improved to slow down the amount older players will decline
  • Player salary logic improvements to keep them more in line with real-life (minor league players will garner salaries more reflective of the minors)
  • Budget logic changes to provide better year-to-year adjustments based on performance
  • NEW Player Search screen with the ability to initiate a trade from the search results
  • NEW Player Lock feature availability
  • NEW Notification system to keep you better informed with events around the league, and within your organization

# 66 HustlinOwl @ 03/05/14 10:19 PM
TSN:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceL_86
Days off have been added
Awesome thank you SCEA!!! No more 162 games in 162 calendar days. Here I come Cal Ripken

# 67 bcruise @ 03/05/14 10:22 PM
Appreciate the transparency as always Ramone. Kind of disappointing the trade logic and career stats didn't make it to offline (if I'm understanding correctly)

# 68 WB1214 @ 03/05/14 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I think the key is keeping the number of HUM teams to a minimum. If you have a 30-team league with 3-4 friends, you won't have to do too much scheduling/management/resolving; just for those 2 or 3 series when its HUM vs. HUM. I think it makes it fun because your franchises now exist in the same universe, and you can easily keep tabs on what friends are doing, while having potential head-to-head match-ups for bragging rights! The ability to play seasons past is huge too.

And to whoever asked about lag, in a 1 HUM 29 CPU online franchise, play should be the same as offline. You are only using the servers for data tracking/storage at that point.
Absolutely, I've got two buddies that I play NCAA with. Low number of people means lower number of people to wait on. We could generally get through a season in a month, so that's not terrible.

I think that's the biggest problems with other games and their online franchises and dynasties.. people expect to be able to fill up the leagues and for them to work, but it doesn't generally every work out for very long.

For the Show, I would think any more than six or seven, unless you just know them and know they'll play, will be too much.

# 69 ShowTyme15 @ 03/05/14 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
Pretty ridiculous, IMO. I know people like to cut a lot of slack for the SCEA guys around here, but this is clearly something that should have been included for offline and online franchise. I'm pretty sure Madden even has identical features for their online/offline franchise. No excuses
You should tell us how you really feel.........

# 70 seanjeezy @ 03/05/14 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The new offline franchise improvements are listed below.
Are there any Improvements/features exclusive to the PS4, or a will there be feature parity as long as saves are cross-platform? Have you guys discussed at all adding more roster spots, levels, draft rounds, and IFA's to better emulate real life?

Thanks.

# 71 MrOldboy @ 03/05/14 11:17 PM
Quote:
We see there have been lots of questions regarding what is and isn’t included in the offline portion of Franchise mode. While the majority of what’s posted in the blog is exclusive to online Franchise, we were able to make a good amount of improvements to the offline portion as well.

So is this a confirmation that anything not listed here, but was for online will for sure not be in offline franchise? Or is offline still technically being worked on?

# 72 Curahee @ 03/05/14 11:26 PM
Quote:

• Editable Player Potentials
  • Player regression has been improved to slow down the amount older players will decline
  • NEW Player Search screen with the ability to initiate a trade from the search results
  • Score!
  • Score!
  • Score!

# 73 kehlis @ 03/05/14 11:28 PM
Very disappointed to hear most of that stuff isn't going to make it into offline.

Not a knock, still going to buy it, but very disappointed. Didn't really expect to hear that.

# 74 Russell_SCEA @ 03/05/14 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
So is this a confirmation that anything not listed here, but was for online will for sure not be in offline franchise? Or is offline still technically being worked on?
The former, yes

# 75 Shaffer26 @ 03/05/14 11:31 PM
I don't think SCEA would even implement an online franchise along with all the enhancements if they weren't 100% sure that their netcode was drastically improved. It just would be a waste of time, otherwise.

# 76 Curahee @ 03/05/14 11:45 PM
Quote:
The former, yes
Thank you for that information and the confirmation of the differences.
Nice to get info straight from the source!

# 77 HustlinOwl @ 03/05/14 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Very disappointed to hear most of that stuff isn't going to make it into offline.

Not a knock, still going to buy it, but very disappointed. Didn't really expect to hear that.
Get your PS Plus and play online franchise

# 78 kehlis @ 03/05/14 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
I understand that option but I'm just not interested in that.

I don't play enough games to justify it. It is what it is. I won't and can't complain because I know I have that option but I'm just really disappointed in this design decision. Didn't expect it from these guys.

Edit: Don't take that the wrong way though, I really am glad for the online users and happy you are getting a nice upgrade this year. I'm not a petty person lol. Just pretty ****ty for those of us that have no desire to both rely on servers to play single players games on top of paying an extra fee just to do so.

# 79 Knight165 @ 03/05/14 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
I would if there was Manage only Mode in it

M.K.
Knight165

# 80 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I understand that option but I'm just not interested in that.

I don't play enough games to justify it. It is what it is. I won't and can't complain because I know I have that option but I'm just really disappointed in this design decision. Didn't expect it from these guys.

Edit: Don't take that the wrong way though, I really am glad for the online users and happy you are getting a nice upgrade this year. I'm not a petty person lol. Just pretty ****ty for those of us that have no desire to both rely on servers to play single players games on top of paying an extra fee just to do so.
pretty sure you can play by yourself similar to offline

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.