Home
R.B.I. Baseball 14 News Post

At the end of the day, R.B.I. Baseball 14 is pretty much exactly what we thought it would be. A report filed by Polygon says the game will be the fast-paced baseball game from your childhood with two button controls.

Quote:
"It's going to be very true to the roots of the brand, of R.B.I. Baseball," said Jamie Leece, vice president of games for MLB Advanced Media, in a phone interview with Polygon earlier this week. "It will be fast-paced; games can be played in under 20 minutes. From a user control standpoint, fans will find the controls to be 'classic,' reminiscent of the two-button controls from games of that generation."

MLB also commented that players will behave as they do in real life, with real-life data being the basis for attributes and player behavior within the game. The game will feature a season mode, an exhibition mode, and a playoff mode. No cost information was revealed, but it was revealed the game will be a digital release on PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, and mobile platforms.

R.B.I. Baseball 14 will release on the PS3/Xbox 360 initially (reported to be April 10), with the next-gen consoles release following that. You can see more screens of the game here.

What do you think? Is R.B.I. Baseball 14 what you expected? Are you going to buy?

R.B.I. Baseball 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view R.B.I. Baseball 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: R.B.I. Baseball 14Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Android / iOS / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 10 - View All
R.B.I. Baseball 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Heroesandvillains @ 03/13/14 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I agree, really a poor decision. The other thing that is odd is the 16 man roster. Is it really that hard to give us a 25 man?
This is the part that's killing the idea of the game to me.

I just don't get it. Surely MLBAM has the rights, so I'd assume it's a gameplay reason (no injuries, for example, so no reason to constantly sub players), diminished energy depletion for the sake of fast game times, etc.

All a wild guess on my part but 16 makes zero sense.

# 102 Teirminator @ 03/13/14 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
All a wild guess on my part but 16 makes zero sense.
I think that's accurate to the original RBI. 4 pitchers and 12 batters.

# 103 Blzer @ 03/13/14 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teirminator
I think that's accurate to the original RBI. 4 pitchers and 12 batters.
So it's about faithfulness over authenticity, then?

I understand there are some things that you want to pay homage to, but others have to kick it a nickel.

# 104 Teirminator @ 03/13/14 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
So it's about faithfulness over authenticity, then?

I understand there are some things that you want to pay homage to, but others have to kick it a nickel.
Agreed. Just saying, it doesn't "make zero sense". There is a reason for it.

# 105 Will I Am @ 03/13/14 12:27 PM
Just like the old days, 4 man rotation and no relievers.

# 106 ricky24 @ 03/13/14 12:37 PM
Right. If you are a fan of the original RBI. It makes perfect sense.

# 107 boomhauertjs @ 03/13/14 12:56 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/...medium=twitter

Quote:
Though securing the rights to use the names of inactive or retired players can be difficult and costly, Leece said “there are some plans for some downloadable content down the road,” including some classic players or teams.
Interesting...

# 108 Will I Am @ 03/13/14 01:08 PM
Looking at those screen shots again makes me wonder about the 4 pitchers and 12 hitters. Would Uehera for Boston and Wacha for the Cards be one of their teams 4 pitchers? That would seem odd but who knows.

# 109 ricky24 @ 03/13/14 01:18 PM
Original RBI had closers didn't it?

I'm guessing the sox would have the 9 starters.

Lester, buchholz, lackey or peavy, koji

Then 3 pinch hitters.

# 110 NYCNNJ @ 03/13/14 01:31 PM
I like the graphics.

# 111 hort22 @ 03/13/14 01:57 PM
original had 12 batters 8 starters and 4 pinch hitters...4 pitchers 2 were starters and 2 relievers.

# 112 CbAgGa @ 03/13/14 02:56 PM
I agree... I was pretty upset at first but after a good nights rest im open arms!!!!

# 113 CbAgGa @ 03/13/14 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbAgGa
I agree... I was pretty upset at first but after a good nights rest im open arms!!!!
they said 9 hitters and 7 pitchers

# 114 Teirminator @ 03/13/14 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbAgGa
they said 9 hitters and 7 pitchers
Who? I think that was someone just guessing on these forums.

# 115 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/13/14 03:10 PM
My RBI 4 manual has 24 man rosters , 14 batters/feilders , 10 pitchers with starters , relievers and closers

# 116 CbAgGa @ 03/13/14 07:20 PM
u may be right about the 9 n 7 ive been reading so much on this game my head is spinning!!!

# 117 sarlndr @ 03/13/14 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolade
Perfect baseball game? See MLB the Show 14 on PS4.
Which nobody has even played. Yet you claim it's perfect...ok.

# 118 sarlndr @ 03/13/14 07:57 PM
Looks like my wish for alternate uni's has come true. That's cool.

# 119 eaw913 @ 03/13/14 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarlndr
Which nobody has even played. Yet you claim it's perfect...ok.
When a game successfully hits the mark 8 years in a row, you tend to trust things a bit more.

# 120 Beelzebot44 @ 03/13/14 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
If you truly thought that MLBAM, whose main focus is the day-to-day operation of MLB.com and MLB.TV, was going to put out something with anywhere near that much depth on their first try at a console game, your expectations were far too high.
I didn't actually have any real expectations for this game and I'm frankly shocked at the level of statistical realism they are even talking about with it.

However, I wish they had done things differently if they had this idea. Approach 2K or EA or some other actual developer and offer a good deal for the MLB licensing and work with them. Have them handle the presentation and MLBAM can provide the data and how to apply it. Even if it wasn't released until next year.

It's just thinking about the potential application of what they can do (especially seeing the new tech they have to analyze plays, it's incredible) that leaves me a bit let down. I'd almost have preferred a simple arcadey port of a mobile game without the tease.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.