Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Let's face it, everyone has that one pitch which they just can not hit. This inevitably leads to facing a pitcher with said pitch which just ends in frustration. Last year, I developed a sudden inability to hit big, bending curveballs. Who knows the exact reason why, but at the onset of my time with MLB 13 The Show, curveballs were automatic swings and misses.

This year, I'm sure I'll have a new 'least favorite pitch' to engage with. What about you? What pitch(es) are impossible for you to hit? Which pitchers present you with the most problems?

Sound off with a comment below!

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 acts238shaun @ 03/25/14 10:23 AM
Same side matchup it is a slider from a guy with a two seamer - it is like facing Maddux. Starts in middle and breaks from same point. Opposite side matchups I destroy sliders in. Go figure.

# 62 JohnnyP1119 @ 03/25/14 10:58 AM
I usually struggle with inside change-ups and sliders away. I don't do guess pitch so sometimes even though I know the slider is coming, it looks like its going right over the outside corner and then you see an ugly swing and get made fun of by the commentators.

Obviously knuckleballs can give me fits too as it does for everyone else. However I thought I was the only one who struggled against submarine pitchers...I HATE THEM!!!!

# 63 barsoffury @ 03/25/14 11:04 AM
Of course the knuckleball and anything submarine. Those go without saying but I have trouble against the sweeping curve that has lots of break and sliders.

# 64 jmaj315 @ 03/25/14 02:40 PM
That Curveball in the dirt by the cpu... it looks like a low fastball or changeup! :/

# 65 esham313 @ 03/25/14 02:58 PM
The slider for me. Oh and the change up I'm always out in front of both if I don't pick the pitch up.

# 66 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/25/14 04:46 PM
It's a wonder the screwball isn't mentioned more, though it is rare to see one.

# 67 Benz87 @ 03/25/14 05:11 PM
I have the most difficulty getting around on the inside heat, especially high and inside. I can't figure out why, but as long as I've played video game baseball simulations it has always been a struggle with this pitch and not being able to pick it up quick enough to adjust my cursor.

# 68 Jgainsey @ 03/25/14 05:12 PM
My breaking ball recognition is actually pretty good, but a change up right around the bottom of the strike zone is really tough.

Especially if the starter can get in the zone with it early on... After that they just pound me into submission with it.

# 69 RogueHominid @ 03/25/14 11:29 PM
I play with a really nice custom camera that makes sliders and curves with any degree of sweep pretty easy to pick up with practice, but the pitch I can't seem to get ahold of consistently is a really big 12-6 curve. By the time I pick up the height and speed and recognize that it's the 12-6, it's way too late to make a good judgment about it being a ball or a strike or to put a good swing on it.

Once in a blue moon I'll hit one a long way if it hangs around the belt area, but usually it's a pitch I take with a baffled look on my face in hopes that it lands out of the zone.

# 70 Sirbigspur @ 03/25/14 11:51 PM
I always chase the real high fastballs that are on the inner half of the plate

# 71 CubFan23 @ 03/25/14 11:52 PM
Well we all know what pitch Dustin Pedroia can't hit, the high inside fastball....

# 72 doubledeuceR6 @ 03/26/14 01:16 PM
Depends on the count, but the slider tailing away is my nemesis and the change up is a close second if the pitcher is mixing it up well.

I don't understand people having trouble with the knuckleball, I start licking my chops when I'm about to face a knuckleballer. You know it's coming so just stay back, wait and smash it!

# 73 wolfpack23 @ 03/26/14 01:22 PM
Straight change-up down in the zone. I will hit them in the zoneand lay off them when they are bounced but that grey area!

Also those hard fastballs up in the zone.

# 74 KBLover @ 03/26/14 01:24 PM
Change-ups.

Especially from pitchers that have a 98-100 MPH fastball and a 79-82 MPH change-up.

That's like...

WTF and the pitcher is like gg, son.

# 75 mikey04 @ 03/26/14 04:00 PM
ITs gotta be the change up. Just like IRL. THe best two pitch combo is fastball/change up. NO chance. Especially when it is down in the strike zone. Ends up bouncing and i still swing. ALso, the slider down and away when the pitcher and batter are the same handedness.

# 76 WarningTrackPower @ 03/26/14 04:55 PM
For me, it's the change up that's low and out of the strike zone. There's a few reasons for this:

*It's part of the best two pitch combo in the game - fastball and change up. (IRL as well).

*You don't have the hitters depth perception: I play with the catcher cam, so it's hard to judge the depth of the ball. Most low offspeed pitches just look like fastballs and then they fall off the table.

*The opened timing window: I didn't have a problem pulling the ball in past years, but MLB13TS was tough for me. Across the board, every offspeed pitch was a bit harder for me to hit because even when I made contact, it would be well foul.

*The MPH difference: Too many pitchers in the game can top out their fastballs with ease and then turn around a throw their nastiest change ups with 13+ mph difference. It also seems like every pitcher who has a change up in the game, throws it well. Even if they only throw it 5% of the time and it's their fifth option for a pitch (IRL), you will get a steady diet of change ups in MLBTS.

...I will say, nothing feels better than waiting back on an offspeed pitch that's breaking down and away and hitting it the other way for a clean single.

# 77 cardinalbird5 @ 03/26/14 10:54 PM
A well placed slider followed by a changeup.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.