Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Check out the latest MLB 14 The Show gameplay video featuring the St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Red Sox, showing off the new Quick Counts feature.

Please like and subscribe to show appreciation for the video, courtesy of Keystone570!

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 TGov @ 03/27/14 01:28 AM
Who ever said baseball was a slow game???

Quick Pitch looks exciting but also needs your attention cause it moves the game along a lot so it seems...
Nice new fielding cams, Id like to see what the new flyball icon looks like and how that has changed...
Wish some faces got an update but I know PS4 got the complete overhaul so can't blame them for pushing the next-gen...
Overall, Im very excited, wish I had a PS4 but one more year of the PS3 version will definitely hold me over...

# 102 MrOldboy @ 03/27/14 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I asked this way back when, but don't know if we really had an opportunity to get an answer.

How often do you think we will be batting as a pitcher and hoping to sac bunt, only to be faced with a two-strike count in the beginning of an at-bat with quick counts on? Even one strike might stress you out a bit haha.

Same with wanting to deploy some sort of straight steal, hit-and-run, etc. I guess you give and take with this feature. I just wish there were some 0-0 counts here and there.
I think it was said that its slightly based on ratings of players. If that is the case worse hitters, pitchers, may have an even higher chance to get 2-strike counts. Can anyone comment on this part of QC's?

# 103 CaseIH @ 03/27/14 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
WoW even on PS3 this game just looks better and better every year!

The MLB The Show developers are just amazing at what they do
Im always amazed every year cause you think it cant get any better yet every year they manage to make it better. Funny how MLBTS devs can improved upon a already great game yearly, yet other sports games that could clearly get better dont always manage to do it better each year like MLBTS does. SCEA definitely have the best of the best developers in the gaming industry by far.

# 104 LastActionHero @ 03/27/14 03:32 AM
Holy S. quick counts really speed up the game! I also immediately noticed better crowd noise.

# 105 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/27/14 04:21 AM
Ball Physics look even better this year but the ps3 version is starting to look dated next to the ps4 version and quick counts could be a game saver for me as I just cant take all the drama in a 2 to 3 hour game in and out so I just rather deal with situational play in a few pitches then a long drawn out at bats but mostly while pitching .
So thanks for listening and adding this great new option SCEA

# 106 CaseIH @ 03/27/14 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Ball Physics look even better this year but the ps3 version is starting to look dated next to the ps4 version and quick counts could be a game saver for me as I just cant take all the drama in a 2 to 3 hour game in and out so I just rather deal with situational play in a few pitches then a long drawn out at bats but mostly while pitching .
Personally I guess Im just not that much into the graphic part of it, considering how real it already looks, and imo looks better than any other sports game on the CG system. I can only imagine how great it will look on the PS4 platform with how well it looks on the PS3.

I hadnt planned on buying it this year since I cant afford a PS4 and enjoy 13 on the PS3, but the quick counts is making it hard for me to pass on this game, along with knowing how great the game will be once again.

Like you I dont like setting thru 2+ hours on 1 game, but Im very OCD and dont like skipping thru cutscenes so I let it play out. With the new QC system I can only imagine how many seasons i will be able to get thru. I know I wont be getting it day 1 for the 1st time since I started buying thi sgame yearly, but once the OSFM rosters are out and pitch edits if needed are fixed by someone, Im sure I will end up getting this game. Probably wont be buying a PS4 for a few years anyway the rate Im going unfortunately.

# 107 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/27/14 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Personally I guess Im just not that much into the graphic part of it, considering how real it already looks, and imo looks better than any other sports game on the CG system. I can only imagine how great it will look on the PS4 platform with how well it looks on the PS3.

I hadnt planned on buying it this year since I cant afford a PS4 and enjoy 13 on the PS3, but the quick counts is making it hard for me to pass on this game, along with knowing how great the game will be once again.

Like you I dont like setting thru 2+ hours on 1 game, but Im very OCD and dont like skipping thru cutscenes so I let it play out. With the new QC system I can only imagine how many seasons i will be able to get thru. I know I wont be getting it day 1 for the 1st time since I started buying thi sgame yearly, but once the OSFM rosters are out and pitch edits if needed are fixed by someone, Im sure I will end up getting this game. Probably wont be buying a PS4 for a few years anyway the rate Im going unfortunately.
I didnt mean it how it sounded PS3 is still visually nice but next to the PS4 well you know ... I also think EA NHL looks great too .

Im very OCD also and love key replays and such but with quick counts you can still enjoy presentation and have 30 minute games from what I understand as long as you keep it off fast play

What Im hoping to like about quick counts is more fun then frustration as I use classic pitching so even if its just like a dice roll outcome I,ll have little issue as I always thought the box scores were realistic but the how things happened were lacking .

So I think I can accept a fast and fun two pitch dice roll outcome rather then a 9 pitch frustrating draw out one if that makes sense especially through a long season as it becomes more of a chore than fun but thats just me as the more options to play the better so everyone can enjoy the show in their own way .

# 108 BSUFAN @ 03/27/14 05:10 AM
What a great option to have, I know it I won't be using it very much as I mostly play RTTS but having said that the game looks much more crisp and fluid to me I don't how to explain that but kudo's to the SD team

# 109 sroz39 @ 03/27/14 06:34 AM
I already traded in my PS3 for the PS4 around launch but that video...incredible. I get why some people are saying it looks tired or dated...I just completely disagree :P I can't believe how much better it looks just from one year to the next on an 8 year old system. Great job guys.

I have a question and a bit of a weird one I guess. As I understand, I can play a Franchise or RTTS on the PS3 and then play that same Franchise or RTTS on the PS4. My question is, I go to great lengths to make my face in RTTS look as close to me as possible. When I pickup my RTTS on the PS4 version in May, how well will my face transfer over? Or am I going to have to start over again? I might have an opportunity to borrow a PS3 for a month and would love to pick this up and play it until the PS4 version drops.

# 110 agentlaw13 @ 03/27/14 08:06 AM
Anyone else notice during victorino's and ortiz's at-bats that the batter walk up music sounds improved and has that slight echo? Sounds more realistic and similar to how it sounds on a tv broadcast or in stadium over the speakers. Nice touch.

# 111 stealyerface @ 03/27/14 08:24 AM
Speaking of Quick Counts, will there be a way to toggle the QC On for batting, but leave it Off for pitching?

I suppose it would a nice way to speed up the batting portion of the game, but I like to really work at setting the hitters up, and use the entire arsenal to make important pitches, so I am not sure I like the idea of being staked to a 3-1 count against a big hitter.

Plus, I might go right after a soft hitting second baseman who hits in front of a power guy, and not waste three pitches in doing so.

Any word on the availability for on/off for defense v offense, or is it an all or nothing selection?

Thanks,
~syf

# 112 nemesis04 @ 03/27/14 08:29 AM
It is either on or off, no splitting.

# 113 aguero90 @ 03/27/14 08:43 AM
The sound of the bat on ball actually is a little bit different. Then again, it might just be like that because I'm always hearing it through my surround sound.

# 114 tnixen @ 03/27/14 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME

I agree with you the Ball Physics look like they have been improved once again and the fielding looks really nice and smooth more then it ever has in the past. But definitely the PS3 version is starting to look very dated especially now that we all have seen what the PS4 is capable of.

# 115 SVCbearcat10 @ 03/27/14 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I asked this way back when, but don't know if we really had an opportunity to get an answer.

How often do you think we will be batting as a pitcher and hoping to sac bunt, only to be faced with a two-strike count in the beginning of an at-bat with quick counts on? Even one strike might stress you out a bit haha.

Same with wanting to deploy some sort of straight steal, hit-and-run, etc. I guess you give and take with this feature. I just wish there were some 0-0 counts here and there.
It all depends on how you look at it. Your pitcher is up in a potential sac bunt situation and quick count gives you 0-2. You can look at it two ways:

(1) You could be very angry. This is preventing you from making a logical baseball decision to bunt in this situation. How could the developers possibly not see this as a problem?!?!

(2) You view this as your pitcher unsuccessfully attempted to bunt twice. You're frustrated but it puts you in a real life spot. Do you risk bunting it foul or let him swing away. You would rarely find yourself in this situation otherwise, which is the point of quick counts.

I would look at it from the second viewpoint. Sac bunts have always been extremely easy to get down in a game, but aren't always as easy in real life. Some pitchers are great at it and some aren't. Maybe a future improvement to quick counts are identifying good sac bunt situations and base the count off of how good of a bunter the pitcher (or player) is. The best ones will rarely have 2 strikes to start while the bad ones will be more likely have 2 strikes against them.

Just assume the simulated pitches were attempts at bunting, hit and run, etc. but just failed in executing. That will bring you peace of mind rather than thinking the games out to get me!

# 116 ncaajunkie @ 03/27/14 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting the yanks and Nats video keystone570! Love the new camera angles and presentation! How about a braves home game against the giants with Tim Hudson pitching for them?! Lol
Go Braves!

# 117 aukevin @ 03/27/14 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
It all depends on how you look at it. Your pitcher is up in a potential sac bunt situation and quick count gives you 0-2. You can look at it two ways:

(1) You could be very angry. This is preventing you from making a logical baseball decision to bunt in this situation. How could the developers possibly not see this as a problem?!?!

(2) You view this as your pitcher unsuccessfully attempted to bunt twice. You're frustrated but it puts you in a real life spot. Do you risk bunting it foul or let him swing away. You would rarely find yourself in this situation otherwise, which is the point of quick counts.

I would look at it from the second viewpoint. Sac bunts have always been extremely easy to get down in a game, but aren't always as easy in real life. Some pitchers are great at it and some aren't. Maybe a future improvement to quick counts are identifying good sac bunt situations and base the count off of how good of a bunter the pitcher (or player) is. The best ones will rarely have 2 strikes to start while the bad ones will be more likely have 2 strikes against them.

Just assume the simulated pitches were attempts at bunting, hit and run, etc. but just failed in executing. That will bring you peace of mind rather than thinking the games out to get me!
I'm going to have to wait and see how it goes, but playing as a NL team, I'm not going to like quick counts when I have a pitcher up trying to bunt. Definitely agree that I would like to see some logic built in to quick counts when a bunting situation is up.

# 118 chi_hawks @ 03/27/14 12:54 PM
So is 25 minutes to get through 1 full game with QC accurate? Brings back MVP 2005 memories of getting through a handful of games each day.

# 119 NYYanks26 @ 03/27/14 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
So is 25 minutes to get through 1 full game with QC accurate? Brings back MVP 2005 memories of getting through a handful of games each day.
For the most part, I'm getting through games in roughly 30 mins.

# 120 Russell_SCEA @ 03/27/14 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYanks26
For the most part, I'm getting through games in roughly 30 mins.
Would love to see a box score from ya.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.